Billboard week 10 (and video's)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beLIEve

Refugee
Here's a thorough update regarding U2 and the Billboard charts for week 10, including MTV and VH-1 chart positions.

MTV - ABOY rises from #20 to #17 on weekly "Top 20 videos", even though it shows as a debut. ABOY added plays; Vertigo not on playlist

VH-1 - ABOY falls from 11 to 12 on weekly "Top 20 videos". ABOY added plays; Vertigo added plays (???)

Billboard:

HTDAAB

- falls from #22 to #28 on The Billboard Top 200 Albums Chart
- falls from #2 to #5 on The Top 20 Internet Album Sales Chart

(Best of 1980-1990 holds at #27 on Pop Catalog Chart)

Vertigo

- rises from #61 to #44 on Hot 100 Singles Chart due to inclusion of downloads as sales; previous shown position of 32 incorrect
- holds steady at #32 on Modern Rock Chart
- falls from #22 to #25 on Mainstream Rock Chart
- falls from #11 to #12 on Adult Top 40 Chart
- falls from 35 to 49 on Hot Dance Music/Club Play Chart
- holds steady at #19 on Top 50 Digital Tracks

ABOY
- rises from #9 to #1 on "Bubbling Under" Singles Chart, basically making it #101 on the Singles Chart and strong indicater that it will debut on Hot 100 Singles Chart next week
- hold steady at #6 on Modern Rock Chart
- rises from #23 to #20 on Mainstream Rock Chart; "AIRPOWER" designation

Some observations (made by others as well):

Downloads have now been added as "sales" for singles, and considering the i-pod campaign and known Vertigo downloads, it's quite possible U2 could have had their first Top 10 hit since Discotheque on Billboard. Regardless, Vertigo did more than expected as a lead single, crossing over in multiple formats and it STILL is holding steady or just slowly falling. The Grammy performance, coupled with a win or two, might cause Vertigo to rise back up the charts 5 months after it's debut!

ABOY is a solid Top 10 hit on the Modern Rock Charts, but it may not rise any higher than it's current position of #6. As I think Dr. Who said, it's more of a straight rocker than an "alternative" song, and this may bode well for it's potential on the Mainstream Rock Charts. The video generated some good publicity, too, and it's getting a decent amount of time on the music video channels.

I think that all in all, HTDAAB is holding up well in spite of a very soft market and a tour that's been delayed and been tagged with negative publicity due to the presale.

As for recent comments about U2 maximizing revenues, I agree that they have been in this mode since 1998. Personally, knowing how the band put everything they had into the ZooTV and POPMART tours only to break even or do slightly better, I don't blame them for "cashing in", so to speak.

With two "Best Of" albums since 1998 selling 17M combined, ATYCLB selling 12M, the incredibly successful Elevation tour, and now HTDAAB with already 8.5M shipped (i.e., "sold" for U2) and another worldwide tour, U2 are undoubtedly getting richer. I remember reading an article after POPMART about how despite U2's success, they were simply "modestly wealthy" at best due to the two tours mentioned above. I'm sure their state of wealth today is much greater, and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

I believe Bono when he said "Thanks for giving us a great life...and paying our your hard-earned cash on a rock show". I have been a fan since 1984, seen a dozen shows, and yes, I've helped make them rich. That was MY CHOICE, and I'd do it all over again. I JUST DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD BECOMING RICH BECAUSE THEY PUT OUT A GREAT PRODUCT THAT MILLIONS OF PEOPLE BUY.

Not sure where I'm going with all this...I'm just tired of the complaining, whining, accusations, etc. being leveled at U2 these days. Criticism has been there all along from certain critics and circles, but fans have a choice. They can follow some other band and forget about U2. Sometimes I wish they would.

End of random ranting.

Summary:

Billboard Weekly Update - February 12, 2005

Billboard Comprehensive Albums - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - #28
(11/12/2004 - Run: *1*-2-2-5-3-14-12-13-22-28)

The Billboard 200 - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - #28
(11/12/2004 - Run: *1*-2-2-5-3-14-12-13-22-28)

Top Internet Albums - How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb - #5
(04/12/2004 - Run: 9-*1*-1-1-1-1-1-1-2-5)

Soundscan sales this week: 34,370
Total so far: 2,334,179

Top Pop Catalog Albums - The Best Of 80-90 - #27
Sales this week: 3,800
Sales so far: 2,357,000

Billboard Hot 100 - Vertigo - #44
(09/10/2004 - Run: 46-45-44-39-32-32-32-*31*-31-36-36-36-37-37-40-38-52-61-44)

Bubbling Under Hot 100 - All Because Of You - #101
(22/01/2005 - Run: 114-113-109-*101*)

Hot 100 Airplay - Vertigo - #66
(09/10/2004 - Run: 43-41-41-39-31-33-31-*30*-31-35-35-35-36-39-41-39-53-63-66)

BILLBOARD POP 100 - VERTIGO - #44
(12/02/2005 - Run: *44*)

Hot Digital Tracks - Vertigo (Album version) - #19
(11/12/2004 - Run: 30-*13*-13-21-22-18-17-14-19-19)

Hot Dance Music/Club Play - Vertigo (Jacknife Lee Mixes) - #49
(13/11/2004 - Run: 46-36-24-20-16-14-*8*-8-8-12-19-24-35-49)

Modern Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #32
(09/10/2004 - Run: 18-4-2-2-*1*-1-1-1-3-3-5-9-12-15-15-23-26-32-32)

Modern Rock Tracks - All Because Of You - #6
(18/12/2004 - Run: 27-16-14-12-12-8-*6*-6-6)

Mainstream Rock Tracks - Vertigo - #25
(09/10/2004 - Run: 27-12-10-6-5-4-4-*3*-3-3-3-4-8-8-9-15-18-22-25)

Mainstream Rock Tracks - All Because Of You - #20
(08/01/2005 - Run: 39-36-30-22-23-*20*)

Adult Top 40 - Vertigo - #12
(09/10/2004 - Run: 35-23-19-18-18-19-17-15-15-13-12-10-10-*9*-9-9-9-11-12)

U2 made the new chart, the BILLBOARD POP 100 that shows Airplay on Mainstream Top 40 radios.
Here you can see the new chart (PDF file)
http://www.billboard.com/bb/images/pdf/pop_100.pdf

beLIEve said:
Here's a thorough update regarding U2 and the Billboard charts for week 10, including MTV and VH-1 chart positions.

MTV - ABOY rises from #20 to #17 on weekly "Top 20 videos", even though it shows as a debut. ABOY added plays; Vertigo not on playlist

VH-1 - ABOY falls from 11 to 12 on weekly "Top 20 videos". ABOY added plays; Vertigo added plays (???)

Billboard:

HTDAAB

Vertigo

- rises from #61 to #44 on Hot 100 Singles Chart due to inclusion of downloads as sales; previous shown position of 32 incorrect

ABOY
- rises from #9 to #1 on "Bubbling Under" Singles Chart, basically making it #101 on the Singles Chart and strong indicater that it will debut on Hot 100 Singles Chart next week

Downloads have now been added as "sales" for singles, and considering the i-pod campaign and known Vertigo downloads, it's quite possible U2 could have had their first Top 10 hit since Discotheque on Billboard. Regardless, Vertigo did more than expected as a lead single, crossing over in multiple formats and it STILL is holding steady or just slowly falling. The Grammy performance, coupled with a win or two, might cause Vertigo to rise back up the charts 5 months after it's debut!

ABOY is a solid Top 10 hit on the Modern Rock Charts, but it may not rise any higher than it's current position of #6. As I think Dr. Who said, it's more of a straight rocker than an "alternative" song, and this may bode well for it's potential on the Mainstream Rock Charts. The video generated some good publicity, too, and it's getting a decent amount of time on the music video channels.

I think that all in all, HTDAAB is holding up well in spite of a very soft market and a tour that's been delayed and been tagged with negative publicity due to the presale.

As for recent comments about U2 maximizing revenues, I agree that they have been in this mode since 1998. Personally, knowing how the band put everything they had into the ZooTV and POPMART tours only to break even or do slightly better, I don't blame them for "cashing in", so to speak.

With two "Best Of" albums since 1998 selling 17M combined, ATYCLB selling 12M, the incredibly successful Elevation tour, and now HTDAAB with already 8.5M shipped (i.e., "sold" for U2) and another worldwide tour, U2 are undoubtedly getting richer. I remember reading an article after POPMART about how despite U2's success, they were simply "modestly wealthy" at best due to the two tours mentioned above. I'm sure their state of wealth today is much greater, and I have no problem with that whatsoever.

I believe Bono when he said "Thanks for giving us a great life...and paying our your hard-earned cash on a rock show". I have been a fan since 1984, seen a dozen shows, and yes, I've helped make them rich. That was MY CHOICE, and I'd do it all over again. I JUST DON'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM WITH THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD BECOMING RICH BECAUSE THEY PUT OUT A GREAT PRODUCT THAT MILLIONS OF PEOPLE BUY.

Not sure where I'm going with all this...I'm just tired of the complaining, whining, accusations, etc. being leveled at U2 these days. Criticism has been there all along from certain critics and circles, but fans have a choice. They can follow some other band and forget about U2. Sometimes I wish they would.

End of random ranting.

Michael Cohl guaranteed U2 100 million dollars on the POPMART tour. Michael Cohl was willing to take all the risk for the tour. As it was, the POPMART tour had a tour GROSS of over 171 million dollars just from ticket sales and is the 4th highest Grossing tour worldwide in history. The cost of the tour was 214,000 dollars per day with or without a show. That puts the cost of the tour which lasted 11 months at roughly 70 million dollars. So, looks like Michael Cohl still got his cut as well.

The Elevation tour Grossed 143 million dollars but had touring cost that was about 1/3 of that for POPMART. So its likely U2 did profit more on Elevation, but not by much.

The bands combined estimated wealth prior to the Elevation tour was 700 million dollars. This includes Paul McGuinness's share which is 20%. As a group, they often rank in the top 10 of the richest people in Ireland, which by the way is the third richest country in the world today based on per-capita GDP.

As far as I can see, U2 have always priced their tickets based on what the market value for them was. The price of their tickets depends on demand and the size of the venue's being played. Arena prices will always be significantly higher than the price in a Stadium, if the artist is atempting to price the ticket at its correct market value.

Last edited:
beLIEve said:
Vertigo

i don't think #32 for the previous week is incorrect. To me #32 is Vertigo's position for the previous week if download sales were counted in.

beLIEve said:

Billboard:

HTDAAB

Vertigo

ABOY

End of random ranting.

Believe,

Do you have access to Billboard.Biz .

http://www.billboard.com/bb/biz/index.jsp

If you go to the link, you will find an article about U2. When you click on the link they give a brief summary which is:

"U2's U.S., Euro Tix Sales At $141M "
"February 09, 2005 -Ray Waddell, Nashville"

"The dust is starting to settle on one of the more impressive on-sales in concert history."
"In Europe, the band has sold out 19 stadium shows, for a gross of $94 million and 1.05 million tickets."
"The tour begins March 28-30 in San Diego; the U.S. leg wraps May 24-28 in Boston."

You have to be a member to read the entire article, so if you have access to it, it would be cool if you could post it here.

Just from the brief summary, we now learn that the total GROSS for the 1st leg of the US tour with 28 shows is $47,000,000 ! That is $1,678,571.4 per show GROSS!

In Europe, the average GROSS per show so far is $4,947,368.4 and the average ATTENDANCE per show is 55,263! The average ticket price in Europe is almost 90 dollars!

I thought U2 were going to do more like 30 stadium concerts in Europe. What's the deal there?

And an average of 90 dollars Euro is huge... particularly for a stadium concert. Seems to me that Europe is getting shortchanged here just as Canada seemed to be in the first leg.

Last edited:
WHYWHY said:
I thought U2 were going to do more like 30 stadium concerts in Europe. What's the deal there?

Not all concerts have been on sale yet. Those not on (general) sale include Lisbon, Barcelona, San Sebastian (?), Milan, Rome, Zurich, Poland.

And an average of 90 dollars Euro is huge... particularly for a stadium concert. Seems to me that Europe is getting shortchanged here just as Canada seemed to be in the first leg.

I think that average price of 90 dollar is mainly due to the high prices in the UK. In the Netherlands the top price was 70 euro, which translates to roughly 90 dollar. So here the top price was 90 dollar, not the average.

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom