Biggest Grossing Tours Of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. My predictions were very close as well..lol its not rocket science.

What predictions of yours were very close as well?

2. No.. Salt Lake City is the only ticket site that tells you exactly how many tickets are left. I simply gave results of how many sections had SINGLE/SOLD OUT/MULTIPLES left for the rest of the shows to give people a basic idea of how well the shows are selling. I do not believe I said there are 100's or 1000's or tens of thousands of tickets left, if I did I would be speculating or guessing. I did say the orignial 16 shows have the same results as they did last year so they've sold close to 1 million tickets, but still given that I do not know exactly how many tickets have been sold, I'm giving my best guess.

If there are tickets left for most of the shows and there are, it doesn't take a genius to figure that with the 45-90,000 capacity stadiums U2 are playing...that overall, tens of thousands of tickets are still left to be sold.

3. I'm not naive about anything, you obviously have a profound hatred and bias against U2. No offense, but do you realize how naive you look in this forum?

Yes you are naive about this. I have no hatred or bias against U2. Though, their past three studio albums really suck ass and they're total sellouts. No offense...but do you realize what you're saying is the equivalent of a master chief (me) telling you the way it is and you (the student) are still trying to figure out how to make a hamburger correctly...

Boxscores PROVE what you say to be incorrect.

Remember, The Black Eyed Peas were also NOWHERE NEAR the draw they were several years ago, compared to the draw they were in 2009 or are now.
:rolleyes:

Oh yes, please provide us the boxscore information which shows that Nickleback is not as big as Snow Patrol or Interpol when it comes to concert drawing strength. LOL

The list of artist that are opening for the Stones are well known and popular. As for U2, I'm actually only familar with half of the artist. There is a difference.

What boxscores show us that the Black Eyed Peas were bigger in 2009 than they were in 2005-2007? No, you can't use boxscores from 2010 or 2011 either.

I'm not ignoring anything, the fact is the stones used stronger openers than u2 did overall...its obvious..lol

Uh, no. And the boxscores / compelling evidence I've provided PROVE otherwise. Yet you still ignore that.

Here, let me post what I said AGAIN:

Nickelback were NOWHERE near the draw they were when they opened for The Stones several years ago, compared to the draw they are NOW.

If you have factual info contradicting the above statement, POST IT.

Well, I posted an attendance figure from 2007. You made another one of your claims without any supporting evidence. :wink:

Also, where Nickleback is NOW, is irrelevant. Were talking about 2005-2007. They were an arena act at that point and yes, they filled Hershey Stadium, something Muse and The Black Eyed Peas can't do!

Oh yes, please provide us the boxscore information which shows that Nickleback is not as big as Snow Patrol or Interpol when it comes to concert drawing strength. LOL

I never said Interpol or Snow Patrol were bigger than Nickelback in North America. That's a rare exception.

The list of artist that are opening for the Stones are well known and popular. As for U2, I'm actually only familar with half of the artist. There is a difference.

Yeah...and that difference is that U2's openers are overall larger draws than The Stones' openers are. It's already been PROVEN. :doh:

What boxscores show us that the Black Eyed Peas were bigger in 2009 than they were in 2005-2007? No, you can't use boxscores from 2010 or 2011 either.

We've already been over this. So you know why The Black Eyed Peas were a bigger draw in 2009 than they were in 2005-2007. :doh:

I didn't say that, smartass.

Uh, they'll beat them but only BASED ON THE CRITERIA WE AGREED ON.

Well, I suppose we'll see you spinning that the tour was not strategically scheduled enough to explain why Madonna did not outgross U2 360 on her next tour! LOL

Since you predicted $900 million for Madonna, she won't need openers to outgross 360 based on your 10% formula. That should put her at $810 million at a minimum.

Bottom line, Live Nation will see to it that both artist maximize their gross on the road. So the result will determine whether they can stand up to U2 360 like you claim. No blurring, stretching, or special criteria needed.

Well, I posted an attendance figure from 2007. You made another one of your claims without any supporting evidence. :wink:

Also, where Nickleback is NOW, is irrelevant. Were talking about 2005-2007. They were an arena act at that point and yes, they filled Hershey Stadium, something Muse and The Black Eyed Peas can't do!

ALL my claims come with evidence, genius. But you haven't provided boxscores showing exactly what YOU'RE saying right now.

Well, I suppose we'll see you spinning that the tour was not strategically scheduled enough to explain why Madonna did not outgross U2 360 on her next tour! LOL

Well, I suppose you'll continue to misquote and BS your way through ANYTHING...like you just have AGAIN.

Bottom line, Live Nation will see to it that both artist maximize their gross on the road. So the result will determine whether they can stand up to U2 360 like you claim. No blurring, stretching, or special criteria needed.

Bottom line is: THAT IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE.

Wow! Big deal! We can discuss your Toronto prediction if you'd like as well! :applaud:

:doh:

I believe Toronto was just about the gross. Your way off on attendance and gross for 25% of the markets on the first leg!

How could anyone claim that there were only going to be 28,000 people in attendance for a 360 stadium show by U2 in Dallas? Its no where near being in the realm of the possible. The actual attendance was 70,000. Arthur Fogul is not going to book U2 to play a 1/2 or 2/3s empty stadiums, but you predicted that was precisely what he was doing for 5 different cities on the first leg in North America. Your prediction for the other four cities was 31,000! 31,000?

ALL my claims come with evidence, genius. But you haven't provided boxscores showing exactly what YOU'RE saying right now.

Oh, where are your Nickleback Boxscores?

Are you doubting that there were 28,000 peope in attendance at Nickleback's Hershey concert in 2007? Would you like to bet on this?:wink:

Well, I suppose you'll continue to misquote and BS your way through ANYTHING...like you just have AGAIN.

Bottom line is: THAT IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE.

Oh really, Live Nation will not maximize gross for Madonna and The Rolling Stones on their next tours. They will always do that for U2 though! WHY? Because MOGGIO said so!:wink: :applaud:

Maoilbheannacht said:

Are you doubting that there were 28,000 peope in attendance at Nickleback's Hershey concert in 2007? Would you like to bet on this?:wink:

I am. There can't be 28,000 people in the world with that disease.

Yeah...and that difference is that U2's openers are overall larger draws than The Stones' openers are. It's already been PROVEN. :doh:

:doh:

01. Snow Patrol
02. Kaiser Chiefs
03. Glasvegas
04. Damien Dempsey
05. Republic Of Loose
06. Bell X1
07. The Script
08. Elbow
09. The Hours
12. Kasabian
13. Razorlight
14. One Republic
15. Aviv Geffen
16. Interpol
18. Springbok Nude Girls
19. Amadou & Mariam
20. The Fray
21. Lenny Kravitz
22. Florence And The Machine
23. Carney
24. Arcade Fire

Ok, well show us the arena boxscores for the above acts in the markets they opened up for U2!

The fact is, NONE of the above artist are arena acts in the markets they opened for U2. Their all theater at best.

As for Muse, BEP, and Jay-Z:

Do you have arena boxscores for Jay-Z in Australia and New Zealand?

We both know Muse has yet to play any arena's in South America. They have broken out into more Arena's in North America SINCE they opened for U2 in 2009.

Say what you will about the Black Eyed Peas, but they only opened 5 shows for U2 on their 110 date tour.

The Stones openers are easily stronger! The only debatable strenth U2's openers had were with three of them, Muse, BEP and Jay-Z

But look at all the Stones openers that have played Arena's and Stadiums on their own!

01. Toots & the Maytals
02. The Black Eyed Peas
03. Alice Cooper
04. Maroon 5
05. Beck
06. Pearl Jam
07. The Smashing Pumpkins
08. Alanis Morissette
09. Christina Aguilera
10. Mötley Crüe
11. Metallica
12. Bonnie Raitt
13. Trey Anastasio
14. Dave Matthews Band
15. Living Colour
16. The Living End
17. Joss Stone
18. Nickelback
19. Buddy Guy
20. The Charlatans
21. Feeder
22. the John Mayer Trio
23. Wilco
24. Richie Kotzen
25. Our Lady Peace

Good God! Dissection of support acts. Now we are getting down to the nitty gritty:lol: What next? A census of each audience and their ipod playlists?

Yes but 93 000 according to several other sources

Curious to see WHICH records u2 breaks this weekend and if their website jumps the gun. $$ record is a given. Perhaps they'll only mention how it's the biggest single & multi nights attendance on the 360 tour. I think it's the biggest venue with seats that Us has ever played - Glasto, USFest and Popmart Italy had more people.

I think the MJ stand will still top(if there is a verifiable number)and attendance for a single event(sport or otherwise) will still stand.

Opening sets are closer to 40-45 minutes. When U2 have an "inventory" of 15,000 cheap nosebleeds to fill they use an opener to help them fill up, gets casual fan "fence-sitters" down to the venue. Stones don't have that kind of inventory of weird angle rear seats. We can argue this fact forever, but nobody said the fence sitters boughts the $100/250 seats or accounts for 10's of the gross, just # of people there where LN think they may need it.

Back to this idea that the Stones NEVER have "Cheap Seats", dozens of shows on their Licks tour 2002-2003 tour had tickets that were just $25 dollars! Adjusted for inflation for 2010, thats just $29.55!

Billboard - Google Books

This info comes from the top 25 boxscores of 2003 posted in the Billboard year end issue at the link above. Go to the year end section and then go to page YE-50.

Back to this idea that the Stones NEVER have "Cheap Seats", dozens of shows on their Licks tour 2002-2003 tour had tickets that were just $25 dollars! Adjusted for inflation for 2010, thats just $29.55!

Some cheaper seats at SOME Euopean stadium shows and Tokyo Dome, markets they'd played 4-5 times in a dozen years. I did know they have discounted tix on recent tours, so I wonder if those $25 prices were offered for 1st day sales.

Plus if there is only 2 ticket prices and a boxscores you can use algebra to figure out the quantities of each.

U2 will play to 65,000 fans in Chicago this summer at their 360 show. If were to believe you, there would only be 15,000 fans willing to see them in an arena show in September? I don't think so. In fact, I bet they could play soldier field one more time with 33,000 in attendance for their fourth show, just like the Stones did! They won't do that though because a stadium 360 show with only 33,000 people would look rather empty.

This is a couple week old, but you trotted this out a half dozen times. After thinking about I realized there's very few instances of an act successfully playing a market 3 distinct* times on a major tour.
-Hometown gigs like Bruce in the Jersey area or Celine in Montreal
-Cher's 5 year farewell tour hit markets 3+ times
-Acts with exploding popularity like Gaga.

(*"Distinct" doesn't include splitting Slane or Zootv Wembley over 2 weekends, or breaking up the 2005 MSG run because of available dates)

Don't think u2 have ever tried triple dipping a market within a tour. Stones got burned in Chicago/Boston on BBang, Police got in trouble in some places 4 years ago(half full arena in Boston?). ACDC papered the house 2 years ago in NYC and Boston. I think Bruce had soft sales in California/Ontario when Rising played 3 times.

I can't think of any established act that successfully played a visited a market 3 times under regular circumstances(not 1st tour, not legit retirement tour, not hometown region)

I think Moggio is starting to wear down... his team are asking him if he wants them to throw in the towel... but the stubborn fighter he is, he just keeps on swinging. Could an end be in sight?

No. Absolutely not.

Over 100 posts ago. Strategically disturbing how this is still going.

Some cheaper seats at SOME Euopean stadium shows and Tokyo Dome, markets they'd played 4-5 times in a dozen years. I did know they have discounted tix on recent tours, so I wonder if those $25 prices were offered for 1st day sales.

Plus if there is only 2 ticket prices and a boxscores you can use algebra to figure out the quantities of each.

Well you claimed before that "discounted $30 dollar tickets" were a feature that was specially unique to U2 and something Madonna and The Rolling Stones would NEVER do.

It appears that its MOST European shows especially Germany which is The Rolling Stones strongest market in Europe. Japan is also a one of the strongest markets for the Stones outside of North America and Germany. We don't have all of the boxscore results from the licks tour, but the majority of the STADIUM results would do have show the use of $25 dollar tickets. Billboard usually only shows the highest and lowest ticket prices when multiple prices are involved. Stones probably had 10% to 15% at the $25 dollar price for these shows, just has U2 had had on average nearly 15% at the $30 dollar price for their 360 shows. PLUS, remember that these are Rolling Stones shows in a 270 configeration using $25 dollar ticket prices!. For most U2 360 shows, the lower $30 dollar ticket price was only used for seats behind the stage that would not be available in a 270 configeration show.

This is a couple week old, but you trotted this out a half dozen times. After thinking about I realized there's very few instances of an act successfully playing a market 3 distinct* times on a major tour.
-Hometown gigs like Bruce in the Jersey area or Celine in Montreal
-Cher's 5 year farewell tour hit markets 3+ times
-Acts with exploding popularity like Gaga.

(*"Distinct" doesn't include splitting Slane or Zootv Wembley over 2 weekends, or breaking up the 2005 MSG run because of available dates)

Don't think u2 have ever tried triple dipping a market within a tour. Stones got burned in Chicago/Boston on BBang, Police got in trouble in some places 4 years ago(half full arena in Boston?). ACDC papered the house 2 years ago in NYC and Boston. I think Bruce had soft sales in California/Ontario when Rising played 3 times.

I can't think of any established act that successfully played a visited a market 3 times under regular circumstances(not 1st tour, not legit retirement tour, not hometown region)

Well I consider Bruce Springsteens 13 stadium shows in the New York City area from August 2003 through October 2003 to be all in one and so does Billboard. Billboard combines shows in the same venue even if they occur in different weeks or months as long as it is the same part of the year.

Also, are we talking arena's or stadiums?

U2 played the New York City area 5 times within the same month on the Unforgettable Fire Tour, but that was in arena's. U2 played 4 stadiums in the same month on ZOO TV in the New York City Area. U2 played Wembley stadium 4 times on ZOO TV. It all depends on the size of venue being played and the demand level. Naturally, when demand is high, the artist generally prefers to play the larger venue once or twice as opposed to playing multiple shows at a smaller venue.

The Police soldout two stadium shows at Fenway Park as well as a stadium show in nearby Hartford. They returned later in the year and played smaller venues in order to meet the demand that was still left in the market that had not been met by the previous shows.

Well I consider Bruce Springsteens 13 stadium shows in the New York City area from August 2003 through October 2003 to be all in one and so does Billboard. Billboard combines shows in the same venue even if they occur in different weeks or months as long as it is the same part of the year.

Also, are we talking arena's or stadiums?

U2 played the New York City area 5 times within the same month on the Unforgettable Fire Tour, but that was in arena's. U2 played 4 stadiums in the same month on ZOO TV in the New York City Area. U2 played Wembley stadium 4 times on ZOO TV. It all depends on the size of venue being played and the demand level. Naturally, when demand is high, the artist generally prefers to play the larger venue once or twice as opposed to playing multiple shows at a smaller venue.

The Police soldout two stadium shows at Fenway Park as well as a stadium show in nearby Hartford. They returned later in the year and played smaller venues in order to meet the demand that was still left in the market that had not been met by the previous shows.

Visiting a general market on at least 3 different tour legs.

Well you claimed before that "discounted $30 dollar tickets" were a feature that was specially unique to U2 and something Madonna and The Rolling Stones would NEVER do.

It appears that its MOST European shows especially Germany which is The Rolling Stones strongest market in Europe. Japan is also a one of the strongest markets for the Stones outside of North America and Germany. We don't have all of the boxscore results from the licks tour, but the majority of the STADIUM results would do have show the use of $25 dollar tickets. Billboard usually only shows the highest and lowest ticket prices when multiple prices are involved. Stones probably had 10% to 15% at the $25 dollar price for these shows, just has U2 had had on average nearly 15% at the $30 dollar price for their 360 shows. PLUS, remember that these are Rolling Stones shows in a 270 configeration using $25 dollar ticket prices!. For most U2 360 shows, the lower $30 dollar ticket price was only used for seats behind the stage that would not be available in a 270 configeration show.

What's the closest figures you have to the breakdown of ticket prices persentages for the Stones Stadium show on the licks tour?

Were all cheap Stones tickets available at the initial onsale or something done later to fill the place?

Some Europe 2009 360 dates had price tier seating maps with THOUSANDS of cheaps seats that were not behind the stage. Show me one 360 show that ONLY had cheap seaps "behind" the stage.

I believe Toronto was just about the gross.

Yeah...because that's what's important when calculating demand. Nothing else. Duh! :rolleyes:

Your way off on attendance and gross for 25% of the markets on the first leg!

I wasn't way off FOR THE MILLIONTH TIME. It was only about $6 million off from what U2 actually grossed, considering their opener's draw. You on the other hand, were about $14 million off. :rolleyes:

How could anyone claim that there were only going to be 28,000 people in attendance for a 360 stadium show by U2 in Dallas? Its no where near being in the realm of the possible. The actual attendance was 70,000. Arthur Fogul is not going to book U2 to play a 1/2 or 2/3s empty stadiums, but you predicted that was precisely what he was doing for 5 different cities on the first leg in North America. Your prediction for the other four cities was 31,000! 31,000?

You already know that answer to that question. So why are you asking me and going over it AGAIN?

ONCE AGAIN, EVERY Dallas U2 show from PopMart through Vertigo U2 grossed about $1.7 million - $1.9 million. So, that's why my prediction for the 360 tour was $1.8 million, genius. It was obviously underbooked...but one of the few that actually were. :rolleyes:

ALL I'm saying is that if you view Nickelback's boxscores, you'll notice they were NOWHERE near the draw in 2005-2007 compared to the draw they are now. And boxscores PROVE that. Stop messing around. YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom