Biggest Grossing Tours Of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This has got to be the biggest UK tour ever no? I've read reports saying they sold 1.1 million tickets in 24 hours, then they added several more dates so this tour has got to be around 2 million including the other shows outside of the UK.

Live - Take That Official Site

How is it that ignorance? Explain, pretty please or will you duck and dodge?

You obviously don't know anything how concert demand works...

Actually, there is a perfect example of the Mogi/Maili "heavyweight fight". It comes from Monty Python's Search for the Grail classic.

Moggio is the black knight guarding the bridge and Mailio is Arthur, King of the Brits, asking Moggio to step aside and let him move across. Moggio says "no, I have to kill you", and proceeds to engage Mailio in a sword fight.

Moggio gets his arm cut off, but keeps going. "It's just a flesh wound". Loses another arm, and says "Is that all you got"?

Mailio then cuts of both Moggio's legs, but Moggio just keeps bringing it, absurd as it is. In the movie, it was hilarious and a classic scene. As it has played out on this forum, it's been funny for a while, but it's losing some of it's comedic value. Part of me want Malio just to ride away on his coconut horse, leaving Moggio to die, but without a new album yet, guess this form of entertainment will have to do...

Moggio also fits the part of the French guy who keeps denying Arthur entrance into the castle...you know, the guy screaming "I fart in your general direction" and argues with his French buddy about whether or not a swallow could carry a coconut...or two swallows...or an African swallow. Since about 10 people played all the parts in that movie, it's the perfect parallel.

Moggio is the knight w/o arms and legs, yet still wants to fight...yet he's also the French guy guarding the castle hurling idiotic insults and arguing over inane topics.

Mailio, you get to be Arthur, but I'm afraid I have to apologize for comparing you to anyone in that movie. They are all a bit off...but Moggio is so perfectly suited for the dark knight characther. Thanks to both of you for some funny stuff as we wait for chart information that is not tour related.

...and neither do you.

It appears that the reason you won't provide ANY estimates for the Stones A Bigger Bang Tour strategically scheduled like 360 is because you know that once you get into the details, it will reveal how absurd your wild claim of over $300 million for Europe really is.

Boasting about this and that and claiming this and that is easy. If your figure of over $300 million for Europe was a serious one, you should have done the calculations before hand which you could easily present here.

Why claim the Stones could have done over $300 million in Europe when you can't provide ANY evidence to back the claim up?

If your indeed here to provide knowledge and objectivity in this forum, why are you avoiding providing any evidence at all to back up this Wild claim?

Just GIVE IT UP. I'm not playing your stupid games anymore. And even if you're right (though, you're almost NEVER right), it wouldn't matter because THE ROLLING STONES ARE STILL THE LARGEST DRAWING ACTIVE BAND IN THE WORLD. And U2 being a potentially larger draw in the UK and Europe does NOTHING to change that.

It matters because its your CLAIM that not playing New Zealand significantly boosted attendance in Australia on POPMART. Since you claim your here to provide objectivity and facts, where is your estimate?

IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE U2 OBVIOUSLY SKIPPED NEW ZEALAND ON THE POPMART TOUR. SO, YOU'RE WRONG. AGAIN.

Well, Mr. Objectivity, where is your evidence that Muse's popular increased so much since 2008, that they have become an arena act in Brazil, Argentina, and Chile? Being an arena act on some other continent is irrelevant to whether an artist is an arena act in South America. Why would an arena act in South America, not play any arena's if they could?

You know, I'm NEVER surprised at the depths you sink to make it look like something isn't the way it is, despite the fact it obviously is...but this one is just hilarious.

There isn't a market on earth that Muse have played where they aren't currently either an ARENA or STADIUM draw. Their overall album sales have significantly increased SEVERAL times in the past three to four years. And since Muse's concert demand directly relates to their overall album sales, that PROVES IT. Like I've already shown earlier in this thread. And there's PLENTY of examples in other parts of the world too.

But to answer your second ridiculous question: because maybe just maybe, U2 asked Muse, who are on their current touring cycle, to open for them to boost their ticket sales gross instead?!

I looked at the Brazilian top 10 and the Argentinian top 10 and could not find Muse's Resistence album in either during 2009.

So what? For example, and ONCE AGAIN, not ONE Muse album has even gone Platinum in the US, yet they're currently EASILY grossing well over $500,000 per show there. And the reason why they're doing that is because their overall album sales have TRIPLED in the US since 2007 - where they were grossing roughly 1/3 of what they have been currently.

I KNOW YOU KNOW THAT. Stop messing around.
:rolleyes:

Just so someone doesnt get on their high horse and believe Interpol to be a huge influence on U2's sales when they open for them..lol here is todays boxscore for them..

Interpol
Austin Music Hall
Austin Texas
April 21, 2011
Gross-$61,180
Attendance-1,748/3,224

Looks like that "someone" is being misquoted / misinterpreted YET AGAIN.

I just recently saw this argument.

If anyone seriously thinks that a person will pay $100+ for a 30 minute performance for an opening band is crazy.

U2 frequently choose artists that either blend with their general style, would be appreciated by their audience, or are an up and coming band. Some of these artists have had success. But rare would be the person who'd buy a ticket to a U2 concert for the opening band alone.

Second, even if 10% of the tickets were for this reason, why didn't the Stones do the same? What's stopping them?

In other words, logic is lacking all around.

The numbers are the facts. Interpretation is opinion.

:lol:

Oh...and The Stones, just like HUNDREDS OF OTHER TOP DRAWING ARTISTS, utilize A SIMILAR approach. It's just that U2 is taking it to an extreme this time around for more than obvious reasons...

Also, I've bought tix for concerts JUST to see the opener, at least a few times. And I know MANY people who have done the same thing.

I really, really hate to actually participate in this "argument", but there were plenty of people who bought tickets to see Jay-Z in NZ/Aus and then left once he finished. :shrug:

Thank you for your honesty.

Did you confirm that they left the stadium or did you just see someone leave their seat and not come back to their seat? How many people did you see do these things? More importantly, how does any of that truely confirm that they would not of bought a ticket if Jay-Z were not on the bill. Could it be that you saw someone who was a fan of both and moved to a different area of the stadium to watch U2? Perhaps there was another reason unrelated to the concert itself that explained their absence form their seats.

Either way, its pure speculation, not hard fact.

:lol::lol::lol:

I think the point Maoil is trying to make is that unless something is known/factual, there is no point talking about it like it is a fact. To make a blanket statement that 10% of people who went to a U2 show on this tour went for the opener is not a fact but an assumption or thought ( not a very good one IMO).

:lol::lol::lol:

1-You have said many times that strategic scheduling was a new business model. I understand that as you get proven wrong you change your story, so it's no surprise that now you are saying there are "scales" of strategic scheduling LOL

2-By all means, if you can show me an an artist that has toured with a 300 ft stage in a 360 configuration in stadiums only, please do so.....

3-You're logic is embarrassing and has been proven incorrect both here and on the UKMIX forum.

4-So then some of U2's openers have brought in 15-20%?? Wow, 10,000 people willing to pay 3x the ticket price to hear 1/2 the songs....yep, that's logical LOL LOL

5-confusing facts with opinions/theories still I see

6-almost all of your predictions have been wrong or changed based on several of your excuses for U2 being as successful as they have been.

After seeing your predictions from the Vertigo tour that Maiol provided, I see that you have never really known anything about the concert business after all. But what do I know, I'm just a "typical U2 fan". Why don't you go back to the UKMIX forum where you were getting torn apart by both U2 and non-U2 fans alike.

1. ONCE AGAIN, I NEVER said there weren't smaller scales of strategic scheduling, genius. :rolleyes:

2. What does THAT have to do with ANYTHING?
roll.gif

ONCE AGAIN, the concert business has NEVER seen a tour HEAVILY strategically scheduled like the 360 tour. You can make all the excuses in the world to try and show the hows and whys this type of scheduling hasn't been done before but the fact is, IT HASN'T. But by all means, if you can show me a world tour schedule before 2009 where virtually ALL markets played are HEAVILY strategically scheduled, THEN DO SO.
applaud.gif

3. I've given perfectly truthful and logical responses to your garbage above, pages ago. Yet you CONTINUE to ignore those responses and CONTINUE to post the same BS above. Why is that? And most of the people on the ukmix.org forum don't know how concert demand works either. :lol:

4. More misquotes (Maoil and you must be related). Where in the hell did I say some of U2's openers are bringing in 15-20% of the nightly ticket sales grosses?! :lol:

ONCE AGAIN, you have NO idea how concert demand works. So, throwing ANY kind of weight around in this discussion is pretty hilarious. :lol:

5. It IS a FACT that The Rolling Stones are still the largest drawing active band in the world, for reasons explicitly discussed in this very thread. But I don't expect someone like yourself to understand that, for more than obvious reasons as well. :lol:

6. Almost ALL of my predictions have been dead on or close to, considering the current conditions. And my Vertigo tour prediction wasn't far off at all.

If you think I was getting torn apart on the ukmix.org forum, that PROVES to me you can't read. :rolleyes:

Your ignorance is astronomical.

Just GIVE IT UP. I'm not playing your stupid games anymore.And even if you're right (though, you're almost NEVER right), it wouldn't matter because THE ROLLING STONES ARE STILL THE LARGEST DRAWING ACTIVE BAND IN THE WORLD. And U2 being a potentially larger draw in the UK and Europe does NOTHING to change that.

I simply went deeper into the numbers to examine this idea. I did discover that their results would be slightly higher if they had scheduled it like the 360 tour. Mysteriously, you have avoided doing the same thing like its the plague. It would be far more interesting to read such an analysis than the often repeated statements about how all these different people know nothing about concert demand. If you have looked into and agree with my own assessment about Europe, then just say so.

You know, I'm NEVER surprised at the depths you sink to make it look like something isn't the way it is, despite the fact it obviously is...but this one is just hilarious. There isn't a market on earth that Muse have played where they aren't currently either an ARENA or STADIUM draw. Their overall album sales have significantly increased SEVERAL times in the past three to four years. And since Muse's concert demand directly relates to their overall album sales, that PROVES IT. Like I've already shown earlier in this thread. And there's PLENTY of examples in other parts of the world too.

So what? For example, and ONCE AGAIN, not ONE Muse album has even gone Platinum in the US, yet they're currently EASILY grossing well over $500,000 per show there. And the reason why they're doing that is because their overall album sales have TRIPLED in the US since 2007 - where they were grossing roughly 1/3 of what they have been currently.

I KNOW YOU KNOW THAT. Stop messing around.

I'm just looking at the facts. We found that Muse only played theaters or to theater sized capacities on the last tour in South America. On this tour they did not play any arena's. In fact, they just opened for U2 in South America and did not do any of their own shows. Its a bit unusual for a band that has supposedly trippled in popularity in South America to spend its only time there opening for another band.

Has Muse's popularity in South America increased since the last tour and album? Maybe.

I looked to try and find evidence that it had. For Brazil and Argentina, I did not find any album in the top 10, even for one week. Results were not published for each week though.

Certainly, it would NOT be objective to claim that any artist has suddenly become an arena act, in a particular country, without any album or concert ticket sale information from that particular country, that would indicate that.

Just a factual reminder about who is the biggest concert drawing artist in the world. :wink:

U2 360 TOUR: TOTAL STATS TO DATE

GROSS: $580,454,297
ATTENDANCE: 5,570,560
Average Gross: $6,828,874
Average Attendance: 65,536
Average Ticket Price: $104.20
Shows: 85
Sellouts: 85

THE ROLLING STONES - A BIGGER BANG TOUR 2005-2007

GROSS: $558,255,524
ATTENDANCE: 4,680,000
Average Gross: $3,903,885
Average Attendance: 32,727
Average Ticket Price: $119.29
Shows: 143
Sellouts: 82

Madonna -Sticky & Sweet Tour 2008-2009

GROSS: $407,713,266
ATTENDANCE: 3,545,899
Average Gross: $4,796,626
Average Attendance: 41,716
Average Ticket Price: $114.98
Sellouts: 84

Moggio said:
4. More misquotes (Maoil and you must be related). Where in the hell did I say some of U2's openers are bringing in 15-20% of the nightly ticket sales grosses?! :lol:

ONCE AGAIN, you have NO idea how concert demand works. So, throwing ANY kind of weight around in this discussion is pretty hilarious. :lol:
Well you seen to be very delusional but you do make me laugh each day with ridiculous statements and embarrassing logic.

With regard to me "misquoting" you, you said that on average openers bring in 10% ...AVERAGE. So unless you are stating that Florence and the Machine bring in 10% that would mean that someone would need to AVERAGE their gross out to 10%. If I were incredibly generous and said FTM brought in 3%, wouldn't that mean that another opener would need to bring in close to 17%! LOL

You really don't know anything about that concert business. I mean, if strategic scheduling increased U2 360's gross from $4 million a show (your original prediction of $400 million over 100 shows) to $6.8 million per show, we should be reading about this amazing new business model....hummm why is it that we are not?

Please go back to the UKMIX forums so I can laugh even more when they rip your logic to pieces!!! LOL

Moggio said:

Can you please provide the officially reported grosses associated with each opener for all U2 360 shows. I have asked you this before but you seem to have been unable to provide them, I wonder why? Because if they don't exist then how can they be factual....confusing facts with theories again are we. LOL

Even if Muse were able to triple their demand level in Sao Paulo since 2008, they would be able to gross $675,000 there in 2011 with their own show, their own stage, their own ticket prices and a full setlist. And Jesus, that would still be 1% of what U2 360° has grossed in Sao Paulo.

Openers are incredibly irrelevant.

spookyz said:
Even if Muse were able to triple their demand level in Sao Paulo since 2008, they would be able to gross $675,000 there in 2011 with their own show, their own stage, their own ticket prices and a full setlist. And Jesus, that would still be 1% of what U2 360° has grossed in Sao Paulo.

So you presented facts using logic.....be prepared to be called ignorant and your facts will be refuted with "theories" & "opinions".

Just a factual reminder about who is the biggest concert drawing artist in the world. :wink:

Thanks for posting FACTS Maoil. Anything else is pure speculation or a biased view towards U2. If The Rolling Stones tour again and out gross the 360 tour, then I would have no problem admitting they are the biggest touring act in the world. I would not waist my time trying to come up with some out of this world theory to try and prove that they are not..lol Currently, U2 is currently the largest touring act in the world which the numbers prove it as a FACT. People can try to come up with that excuse or some other crazy theory as to why U2 isn't the biggest touring act in the world, but obviously they are. Even the music and touring industry admits they are. The people who know more about this than any of us do admit it..lol To think otherwise is insanity.

With regard to me "misquoting" you, you said that on average openers bring in 10% ...AVERAGE. So unless you are stating that Florence and the Machine bring in 10% that would mean that someone would need to AVERAGE their gross out to 10%. If I were incredibly generous and said FTM brought in 3%, wouldn't that mean that another opener would need to bring in close to 17%! LOL

This is an excellant point, one that I had not noticed. Clearly, from what we are seeing, if there was to be an average for openers in terms of what they bring to the table, its less than 5% on the 360 tour, and certainly NOT 10%.

WOW, thats a stark contrast from the so called average of 10% that were supposed to expect. One could argue that their impact in Sao Paulo based on the factual information we have was as little as 3/10's of 1%.

Each one of these Sao Paulo shows had 90,000 people. U2 could have easily added a fourth show say at a 45,000 seat stadium, and some think they could have done a 4th show in the 90,000 seat stadium. U2 is not gaining anything by having Muse open for them in Sao Paolo, but clearly Muse has benefited substantially. On their last visit, they played in front of 3,000 people. This time Muse was exposed to 270,000 people over 3 nights.

I simply went deeper into the numbers to examine this idea. I did discover that their results would be slightly higher if they had scheduled it like the 360 tour. Mysteriously, you have avoided doing the same thing like its the plague. It would be far more interesting to read such an analysis than the often repeated statements about how all these different people know nothing about concert demand. If you have looked into and agree with my own assessment about Europe, then just say so.

ONCE AGAIN, I'm not going to play your stupid little games that involve lies, spins, manipulations, low-balling other artists' stats and blurring the lines in U2 favour, like YOU ALWAYS DO. I haven't avoided ANYTHING. I've KILLED just about each and every one of your "points"...and quite easily, I might add. The Stones would've easily grossed over $300 million on the UK/European legs of their A Bigger Bang tour, if it were heavily strategically scheduled. There's no, ifs, ands or buts about it.

I'm just looking at the facts. We found that Muse only played theaters or to theater sized capacities on the last tour in South America. On this tour they did not play any arena's. In fact, they just opened for U2 in South America and did not do any of their own shows. Its a bit unusual for a band that has supposedly trippled in popularity in South America to spend its only time there opening for another band.

It's not unusual at all. An artist isn't obliged to headline in every market on earth per every tour.

Has Muse's popularity in South America increased since the last tour and album? Maybe.

There's NO "maybe." They have. PERIOD. :rolleyes:

I looked to try and find evidence that it had. For Brazil and Argentina, I did not find any album in the top 10, even for one week. Results were not published for each week though.

So what? Again, Muse hasn't had even one of their albums go Platinum in the US, yet their draw has at least TRIPLED there in only a few years. A similar situation goes for just about every country in the world they've played. And South America is a HUGE rock market.

Certainly, it would NOT be objective to claim that any artist has suddenly become an arena act, in a particular country, without any album or concert ticket sale information from that particular country, that would indicate that.

You know how concert demand works, just as well as I do. And you know Muse's draw has increased rapidly in the past few years WORLDWIDE. STOP MESSING AROUND.

Just a FACTUAL reminder that you're, ONCE AGAIN, comparing a HEAVILY strategically scheduled tour with two pre-HEAVILY strategically scheduled tours. :rolleyes:

Well you seen to be very delusional but you do make me laugh each day with ridiculous statements and embarrassing logic.

That's funny. I was just going to point out the same thing about you.

This is an excellant point, one that I had not noticed. Clearly, from what we are seeing, if there was to be an average for openers in terms of what they bring to the table, its less than 5% on the 360 tour, and certainly NOT 10%.

Hardly. Funny you don't include the other artists U2 have utilized to help sell tix in the above equation. :rolleyes:

You really don't know anything about that concert business.

Yeah, that's why most of my predictions are close or dead on. :rolleyes:

I mean, if strategic scheduling increased U2 360's gross from $4 million a show (your original prediction of $400 million over 100 shows) to $6.8 million per show, we should be reading about this amazing new business model....hummm why is it that we are not?

1. YET ANOTHER MISQUOTE. I never said it increased from $4 million to $6.8 million per show. It would be more like an increase from around $4 million to $6 million per show, considering roughly 100 shows. And about 10% on top of that because of the openers U2 have utilized, also considering roughly 100 shows.

2. You HAVE read about it. Re-read the Billboard press release from a few weeks ago, when U2 surpassed the Stones' record. It talks about how it was done, which markets to hit and when, etc.

Please go back to the UKMIX forums so I can laugh even more when they rip your logic to pieces!!! LOL

Please stop making a fool of yourself. This is too easy. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom