Biggest Grossing Tours Of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
69k seats plus GA in a complete sellout is more or less 80k.

In the Nashville region, u2 chose a venue that had a possible capacity 30,000 less than the biggest available stadium.

I would have to find the article but from what I read, U2 did want to play LP Field in Tennesse but they couldn't work it out with the venue. I'll look for the article later.

Contracts are made to be broken. Remember when U2 had no-ga policies overturned for arenas in Cincinnati(lost 2001 U2 gained 2002 Bruce?) and Salt Lake City?
maybe lp field didn't want to break the contract. who knows. not everything has to be some great conspiracy.

plus they didn't even play cincinnati on the elevation tour.

to lp field, a multi-day festival trumps one show. i'm sure they would've loved to have said yes to maximise profits but a contract's a contract. there isn't even the possibility of a second night as u2 are booked solid; besides if they're not adding one for vanderbilt stadium they sure wouldn't for lp field.

not every venue in every city in every state in every country is absolutely batshit over u2, shit happens. stadiums get booked before u2 book their tour, whatever. it happens.

to lp field, a multi-day festival trumps one show. i'm sure they would've loved to have said yes to maximise profits but a contract's a contract. there isn't even the possibility of a second night as u2 are booked solid; besides if they're not adding one for vanderbilt stadium they sure wouldn't for lp field.

not every venue in every city in every state in every country is absolutely batshit over u2, shit happens. stadiums get booked before u2 book their tour, whatever. it happens.

Why couldn't u2 add a Vanderbilt show the night before/after? Currently there is 2 days off after Miami and 2 days off before Chicago. Coudn't find any venue conflicts and U2's crew did similar travel for the screen/lights/flat stage.

The CMA festival is 3 weeks before U2. How much cross over do u2 have with a country fest?

I was always under the impression they carefully chose Vanderbilt to get younger generations interested, PR tie in with their show 29 years ago and they prior to announcement they were worried about "only" selling 40,000 in a stadium twice the size?

dude...seriously.

the coliseum could not handle u2. they would have loved to, but the festival is worth more long term to them than u2. the festival wanted something in the region of a month either side of the festival to be exclusive.

plus, having checked out vandy and lp.....fuck lp field, the best fan experience will be at vanderbilt.

i'm sure lp field would have killed to get u2, but they might have lost the festival. i'm sure that, even if just to the accountants, they'd have loved u2 but losing the festival may have been a disaster.

Haven't LN used variable price tiering on the 360 tour to some degree? Hold back sections from 1st onsale and decide later if they are $90 or $30? This is why some city price average are $25 or more than other city averages. They sold garbage balcony seats in Soldier stadium for $90 that were a third the price elsewhere in the US. LN knows that since they have 4-5 price ranges fans can't figure out the exact tiering breakdown using algebra(I think it can be done with 3 or less tiers). Also, Australia couldn't sell the cheapest seats that were cheaper than Vertigo in the same venues.

360 equalling attendance/$$ for 3 past tours is impressive. 2001 was 8-9 months, 2005/1997 were 10-12 months worth of work. 360 tour is over 3 calandar years, giving Europe and US a decent amount of time to replenish demand within many regions.

"Popularity" is a funny description when comparing sales of $100(average) tickets to $10-15 cds. Or No Line selling a FRACTION of recent past albums. Fans are older and similar size to 1987/1992 and more willing to spend disposable income.

True 360 consists of 3 calander years but only two years in reality. it was said by Paul M that the 16 shows in the U.S. had sold over 1 million tickets before it being rescheduled. If the reschedule had not happened the 360 tour would have lasted 1 year and 10 months. if Bono's back injury had not occured they would have sold 2.3 million tickets in the U.S. from sept 2009 to what would have been July 2010. That is only a 10 month span from the start of the 09' leg to the end of the 10' leg. one advantage to the rescheduled leg is that is was able to add an additional 9 shows, but that's not because demand has increased since 2010. each market added was a new market they could not fit in before. Plus, do you really think an extra year of touring will add that much demand? perhaps a tad, but nothing all that significant.

Actually, La Plata´s stadium has a capacity of 53,000. 36,000 are the number of seats not the total capacity. I say the grand total for the three concerts in La Plata will be around 160,000-170,000

my bad when i said 36,000 capacity i was talking about seat capacity. here is where i found the seat capacity at..

World Stadiums - Stadiums in Argentina

here it says it has a seat capacity of 53,000.

http://tensegrity.wikispaces.com/La+Plata+Stadium

so which is it? lol 120,000 does seem to be too conservative.

That's because standing tickets can also be sold for soccer games, which increases the maximum capacity in the stands. I don't see why those spots would not be sold for the U2 shows. But still, the stadium looks tiny! My bet is 55k maximum per night. Besides, there are still tickets available for all three nights.

Todo listo para U2

They say it's going to be 70,000 tonight.

http://www.dropmusic.com.br/index.php/ultimas-noticias/5030-u2-em-sao-paulo-todas-as-informacoes

89,000 per night in Sao Paulo

There simply isn't demand for another 360 tour show in Tennessee. This is part of U2's weakest played US region. They didn't even come close to selling out their Elevation tour Rupp Arena show in Lexington, Kentucky. And the only reason why their 360 tour Tennessee show is full, is because there's no shows in Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky or even in the Carolinas. If demand was there, they easily would've booked another show at the same venue, since there is room or at another stadium in the state or even in the same region. U2's 360 tour Tennessee show will wind up with a ticket sales gross of about $4-$4.5 million, with attendance in the 45,000-50,000 range.

For the LAST time, if Maoil can PROVE the Use Your Illusion tour stats I've provided are incorrect, do so. I'm not going to go around in circles anymore.

In the real world where adults deal with facts, its incumbent on the person presenting a number to provide a source for that number. The fan link has no source at all for the number.

Otherwise, if the fan link also stated that Axl Rose bench pressed 500 pounds 10 times before playing the March 30, 1993 show at BC Stadium, with your logic, we would have to accept that as well.

The Burden of proof is on those that present a number as factual yet provide no source backing it up. There is NO source in the fan link for the number.

If tomorrow you claim that aliens flew you up to the moon and back down to earth, the burden of proof once again falls on you, not on us.

If tomorrow you claim that aliens flew you up to the moon and back down to earth, the burden of proof once again falls on you, not on us.

Since U2 is the biggest band in the world/universe chances are that the aliens would also be fans and therefore they would definitely fly him back once they heard all of his excuses for U2 grossing over $700 million.

That is only a 10 month span from the start of the 09' leg to the end of the 10' leg. one advantage to the rescheduled leg is that is was able to add an additional 9 shows, but that's not because demand has increased since 2010. each market added was a new market they could not fit in before. Plus, do you really think an extra year of touring will add that much demand? perhaps a tad, but nothing all that significant.

How do you explain all the added 2011 stateside markets selling out(Not sure about Moncton doing 100k) when all the original 2010 shows didn't sell out?

A year off adds demand. They very intentionally skipped Phili/Frisco/Seattle/Miami in 2009 so people form those cities would travel several hours to the nearest show. Fans in 2009/2011 repeat cities like toronto/Chicago/NYC would have more interest in attending 21 months later rather than 9 months after the the 2009 shows.

So the 600,000(my guess) tickets sold to the 9 added dates were simply shows that couldn't "fit" into the 2010 schedule according to U2/LN market research?

How do you explain all the added 2011 stateside markets selling out(Not sure about Moncton doing 100k) when all the original 2010 shows didn't sell out?

Well, they didn't sellout, except for the Nashville show.

A year off adds demand.

Some, although originally, the space between the two North American legs was similar to the space between U2's typical spring North American Leg followed by the fall leg. 7 months off VS 4 to 5 months.

They very intentionally skipped Phili/Frisco/Seattle/Miami in 2009 so people form those cities would travel several hours to the nearest show.

Except for Philadelphia. It is said Philadelphia was skipped to help Washington DC, but if Washington DC needed help, the last thing you would do is then play Charlotesville which is closer to Washington DC than Philadelphia.

Also, remember that this is a the FIRST ever 360 tour in a stadium being done during what some consider to be the worst recession since the 1930s.

It is amazing that ANYONE would attempt to do this in a football stadium given the huge demands on filling these places to capacity in a 360 format. These factors mean that Live Nation needed to exercise extra caution in scheduling the shows. In all likely hood, I think San Francisco/Oakland would have been just fine with a show in 2009. After all, the Rose Bowl soldout in less than 6 hours.

Fans in 2009/2011 repeat cities like toronto/Chicago/NYC would have more interest in attending 21 months later rather than 9 months after the the 2009 shows.

But there is not much evidence that the delay has had much impact on attendance in these markets. These shows were going to be full in 2010, and they delay to 2011 has not resulted in a complete sellout.

So the 600,000(my guess) tickets sold to the 9 added dates were simply shows that couldn't "fit" into the 2010 schedule according to U2/LN market research?

Remember that in 2010, U2 was on a tighter schedule because the 2nd European leg was coming up after the North American Leg. Scheduling a tour of this size is not easy.

There simply isn't demand for another 360 tour show in Tennessee. This is part of U2's weakest played US region. They didn't even come close to selling out their Elevation tour Rupp Arena show in Lexington, Kentucky. And the only reason why their 360 tour Tennessee show is full, is because there's no shows in Georgia, Alabama, Kentucky or even in the Carolinas. If demand was there, they easily would've booked another show at the same venue, since there is room or at another stadium in the state or even in the same region. U2's 360 tour Tennessee show will wind up with a ticket sales gross of about $4-$4.5 million, with attendance in the 45,000-50,000 range.

But you said U2 did not have a hope in hell of filling a stadium in Tennessee last year just before the date was announced. :wink:

Except for Philadelphia. It is said Philadelphia was skipped to help Washington DC, but if Washington DC needed help, the last thing you would do is then play Charlotesville which is closer to Washington DC than Philadelphia.

Obviously they kept Frisco/Philly for after 2009 so they had 2 markets to count on.

Charlottesville is near the Live Nation base.

It is amazing that ANYONE would attempt to do this in a football stadium given the huge demands on filling these places to capacity in a 360 format. These factors mean that Live Nation needed to exercise extra caution in scheduling the shows. In all likely hood, I think San Francisco/Oakland would have been just fine with a show in 2009. After all, the Rose Bowl soldout in less than 6 hours.

Were the 2010 dates chosen after final attendance numbers from the 2009 shows were known, or were they roughly routed before they set foot in Chicago?

But there is not much evidence that the delay has had much impact on attendance in these markets. These shows were going to be full in 2010, and they delay to 2011 has not resulted in a complete sellout.

Paul McG gave a quote for US tickets sold for 2010. We can compare those shows(minus the 9 added) when the 2011 boxscores are in. How many stateside 2010 shows were sold out before Bono was sidelined?

Remember that in 2010, U2 was on a tighter schedule because the 2nd European leg was coming up after the North American Leg. Scheduling a tour of this size is not easy.

Without Bono's injury they were going to play Mexico in 2011. A couple US shows could have been added.

Charlottesville is near the Live Nation base.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Were the 2010 dates chosen after final attendance numbers from the 2009 shows were known, or were they roughly routed before they set foot in Chicago?

The general shape of the vast majority of the tour was planned ahead of the first ticket sell date.

The actual booking of venues for the 2010 tour probably occured during the middle of the 2009 tour.

Paul McG gave a quote for US tickets sold for 2010. We can compare those shows(minus the 9 added) when the 2011 boxscores are in. How many stateside 2010 shows were sold out before Bono was sidelined?

I don't recall off hand, but there were none that had problems filling up.

Without Bono's injury they were going to play Mexico in 2011. A couple US shows could have been added.

Its not as simple as simply having a days off on the calander. It takes 5 to 7 days just to move one stage from a stadium to another with all the build down, transport and build up. That alone places some restrictions on what days you can actually play. Then there is the stadium in question and its schedule, plus whether the business deal with the stadium goes through, and other regulations meet community standards etc.

As far as the 360 tour reaching an $800 million ticket sales gross is concerned: we should all know by now that's not going to happen. However, towards the end of U2's next tour (which will probably be in 2015), an $800 million ticket sales gross total will be achievable...but only with plenty of "strategic scheduling" and major ARENA openers included.

And once again, The Rolling Stones are STILL the largest active touring band in the world. They don't have a big lead on U2 but it is a lead nonetheless.

1. Your forgetting that U2 is restricting themselves to playing stadiums only in 360 since that is the theme of the tour. There is still plenty of more concert demand to see U2 in smaller venues like Arena's and Theaters that is not being counted by this tour, but was by the Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang Tour.

2. Do you really think the Stones could play 110 shows in 360 and outgross U2 let alone beat them in attendance? I would say there is always a chance if they announce the next tour as their final tour, but the Stones only played the following number of stadiums on their past tours and all of them were in 270 configerations:

91 stadiums in 270 on A Bigger Bang
40 stadiums in 270 on the Licks tour
96 stadiums in 270 on Bridges To Babylon/No Security
127 stadiums in 270 on Voodoo Lounge
112 stadiums in 270 on Steel Wheels.

3. From 2001 to 2009, Madonna played 248 shows and grossed $804 million and played to 6.3 million people. On just this one tour of 110 shows, U2 will gross an estimated $740 million and play to more than 7 million people. Essentially, with just this one tour, U2 has topped what Madonna did over a decade of 248 shows, and remember, were not counting the demand that is still left for U2 to play arena's and theaters. Are you still going to insist that Madonna is still the top concert draw in the world when her combined attendance and gross over a decade nearly loses out to a single tour of just 110 shows?

It's a FACT that GNR's '91-'93 192-date Use Your Illusion tour was easily one of the three highest attended tours in music history.

Since were talking about FACT, I'll list for you the only known facts about GNR's 1991 to 1993 tour:

Metallica/Guns N Roses Tour 1992
ATTENDANCE: 844,118
SHOWS: 18

Guns N Roses Use Your Illusion Tour 1991-1993
ATTENDANCE: 1,139,444
SHOWS: 65

This is all that is factually known about the tour in terms of attendance from what was posted in Billboard Boxscore. Obviously this is barely half of the tour dates, but these figures are the only one's that cannot be disputed in any way and fit the definition of FACT.

The general shape of the vast majority of the tour was planned ahead of the first ticket sell date.

The actual booking of venues for the 2010 tour probably occured during the middle of the 2009 tour.

I don't recall off hand, but there were none that had problems filling up.

I never said initial 2010 dates would have acres of empty seats. The discussion is whether of not the rescheduled 2010 dates will have added attendance numbers due to the delay. Something we won't know with some level of certainty until August-ish.

I also find the idea of planning so far in advance difficult to fathom because it skipped very worthwhile markets in Asia. Plus they would have been unable to accomodate 600,000 tickets sold in 9 added 2011 shows that would not have been sold in 2010.

Its not as simple as simply having a days off on the calander. It takes 5 to 7 days just to move one stage from a stadium to another with all the build down, transport and build up. That alone places some restrictions on what days you can actually play. Then there is the stadium in question and its schedule, plus whether the business deal with the stadium goes through, and other regulations meet community standards etc.

if they had a "pencilled in" version of the entire tour prior to Barcelona, that would have been before all major sports hod made plans for their stadiums in 2010 and 2011.

Remember, Paul McG said they would only play 360(enclosed) tiered non-baseball stadiums at the onset of the tour and generally held onto that rule. The 2010-2011 dates had more 270, baseball, single tier, smaller stadiums mixed than leg #1.

Since were talking about FACT, I'll list for you the only known facts about GNR's 1991 to 1993 tour:

Metallica/Guns N Roses Tour 1992

This is all that is factually known about the tour in terms of attendance from what was posted in Billboard Boxscore. Obviously this is barely half of the tour dates, but these figures are the only one's that cannot be disputed in any way and fit the definition of FACT.

What did they gross with these shows?

I never said initial 2010 dates would have acres of empty seats. The discussion is whether of not the rescheduled 2010 dates will have added attendance numbers due to the delay. Something we won't know with some level of certainty until August-ish.

I also find the idea of planning so far in advance difficult to fathom because it skipped very worthwhile markets in Asia. Plus they would have been unable to accomodate 600,000 tickets sold in 9 added 2011 shows that would not have been sold in 2010.

Its NOT nine added shows, its 6 added shows. The band were going to Mexico regardless of Bono's back issues on this tour.

Mocton
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Is far as how much the delay would add to the original 2010 dates will probably never be known, because the difference in numbers is likely very small. The fact is that the vast majority of tickets available for each of the stadium dates in 2010 were sold. There was no stadium that had any problems filling up based on availability of tickets.

In addition, there is always a small surge of fans that buy tickets at the last minute which would not be counted in the 1 million figure from 2010.

if they had a "pencilled in" version of the entire tour prior to Barcelona, that would have been before all major sports hod made plans for their stadiums in 2010 and 2011.

Most artist have that done before they start trying to book anything.

Remember, Paul McG said they would only play 360(enclosed) tiered non-baseball stadiums at the onset of the tour and generally held onto that rule. The 2010-2011 dates had more 270, baseball, single tier, smaller stadiums mixed than leg #1.

When McGuinness said that, U2 were already scheduled to play a show in Nice, in a venue that is not much more than a field.

From this weeks Billboard Boxscore Chart we have a new record:

Coming in at #221 on the this weeks chart:

Mob 47
November 11, 2010
Brooklyn, New York
Knitting Factory
GROSS: $10
ATTENDANCE: 1
CAPACITY: 200
SHOWS: 1
SELLOUTS: 0
Average Ticket Price: $10

It should be noted that Mob 47 was supported by Parasitic and Crazy Spirit.

Moncton
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

As far as how much the delay would add to the original 2010 dates will probably never be known, because the difference in numbers is likely very small. The fact is that the vast majority of tickets available for each of the stadium dates in 2010 were sold. There was no stadium that had any problems filling up based on availability of tickets.

In addition, there is always a small surge of fans that buy tickets at the last minute which would not be counted in the 1 million figure from 2010.

Wasn't Salt Lake City a slightly soft sales wise?

Most artist have that done before they start trying to book anything.

When McGuinness said that, U2 were already scheduled to play a show in Nice, in a venue that is not much more than a field.

Weren't the 2010 capacities less than 2009 capacities on average?

McG could have booked "demand permitting" dates/cities for the 2010 tour but very few were used. If a stadium wanted a show it was no problem to free up the stadium for a week with 9-12+ months advance notice.

U2/LN also used first/last dates of the stateside tour to their advantage to sell extra ticket. EIGHT different cities had either distinction for the 2010/2011 dates.

1. Your forgetting that U2 is restricting themselves to playing stadiums only in 360 since that is the theme of the tour. There is still plenty of more concert demand to see U2 in smaller venues like Arena's and Theaters that is not being counted by this tour, but was by the Rolling Stones A Bigger Bang Tour.

2. Do you really think the Stones could play 110 shows in 360 and outgross U2 let alone beat them in attendance? I would say there is always a chance if they announce the next tour as their final tour, but the Stones only played the following number of stadiums on their past tours and all of them were in 270 configerations:

91 stadiums in 270 on A Bigger Bang
40 stadiums in 270 on the Licks tour
96 stadiums in 270 on Bridges To Babylon/No Security
127 stadiums in 270 on Voodoo Lounge
112 stadiums in 270 on Steel Wheels.

Rolling Stones weren't "restricted" by heavily discounted nosebleed and GA tickets, upwards of 2 million of them for 360. I think they could have done a "360 tour" anytime between 89-99. U2 is somewhere between SteelWheels/Voodoo in their career arc. Otherwise it's to hard to compare the drawing power 50 year olds with 70 year olds.

What did they gross with these shows?

METALLICA/GUNS N ROSES TOUR
GROSS: $23,246,377
Average Gross: $1,291,465
Average Attendance: 46,895
Average Ticket Price: $27.54
Shows missing: 7

I don't have the gross figures for the GNR shows but they were averaging a little under $25 dollars a ticket.

Estimated GROSS: $28,486,100
Shows missing: 102

I don't recall them having any noticable problems with filling up in Salt Lake.

Weren't the 2010 capacities less than 2009 capacities on average?

Yes. So?

McG could have booked "demand permitting" dates/cities for the 2010 tour but very few were used. If a stadium wanted a show it was no problem to free up the stadium for a week with 9-12+ months advance notice.

A lot of the largest markets were hit on the first leg, some multiple times, so demand will naturally be less than on the first leg overall.

Booking stadiums for events like this is not looking booking a birthday party at your local Chucky Cheese. Arthur Fogal would tell you that there are always problems to face when booking a tour of this size. This is the most expensive tour ever in history. There are lots of things that have to be worked out on both ends.

U2/LN also used first/last dates of the stateside tour to their advantage to sell extra ticket. EIGHT different cities had either distinction for the 2010/2011 dates

I don't see how this is relevant.

Rolling Stones weren't "restricted" by heavily discounted nosebleed and GA tickets, upwards of 2 million of them for 360.

1. The Rolling Stones were not playing in 360 in the worst recession since the 1930s. Think about it.

2. Its more challenging to fill stadiums in 360 110 times on a single tour than having the luxury of playing any venue in any configeration that suits the drawing power of the band. The Stones could play stadiums in 270, arena's in 360, arena's in 270, music halls, theaters etc. Its easier to book more shows and meet the true demand to see the artist when your allowed to book any venue instead of being restricted to playing stadiums in 360.

3. Lets take a look at the averages.

U2 360 TOUR: TOTAL STATS TO DATE

GROSS: $519,599,484
ATTENDANCE: 5,051,275
Average Gross: $6,661,532
Average Attendance: 64,760
Average Ticket Price: $102.87
Shows: 78
Sellouts: 78

ROLLING STONES A BIGGER BANG TOUR STATS

GROSS: $558,255,524
ATTENDANCE: 4,680,000
Average Gross: $3,797,657
Average Attendance: 31,837
Average Ticket Price: $119.29
Shows: 147
Sellouts: 81

The fact is, there is very little difference in average ticket prices for the two tours. Although U2 have a smaller average ticket price, they have a much higher average gross per show, and their average attendance per show is more than double that of the Rolling Stones.

I think they could have done a "360 tour" anytime between 89-99

Well if they could, why didn't they? Also, are you claiming that demand to see the Rolling Stones is less now than it was in the 1990s?

U2 is somewhere between SteelWheels/Voodoo in their career arc.

How do you figure that?

Otherwise it's to hard to compare the drawing power 50 year olds with 70 year olds.

LOL LOL LOL

Are you saying that the Stones need a Senior benefit of some sort? Can 60 year olds be compared to 70 year olds? How about 30 years olds to 50 year olds? Or 20 year olds to 50 year olds? Since when is this a factor in judging what is most popular, most in demand etc.?

Again, are you claiming that there was greater demand to see the Stones in concert in the 1990s than today?

Don't forget to look at the average ticket price for the shows.

By the way, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are not in their 70s. As of today, both are 67. Bono will be 51 in 40 days.

Since U2 is the biggest band in the world/universe chances are that the aliens would also be fans and therefore they would definitely fly him back once they heard all of his excuses for U2 grossing over $700 million.

jack_h_GIFSoupcom.gif

If I thought you even knew one fraction of the knowledge it takes to determine concert demand for ANY artist, I'd take what you're saying seriously. But I don't, so I won't.

last year I checked the sales of Salt Lake 1 week before the show was supposed to happen and there was a little over 4,000 seat tickets available. They sold over 1,000 tickets 2 weeks before the show, so the last week could've sold 2,000 maybe? With the field tickets which were sold out I'm guessing there would have been at least 47,000 ish tickets sold for Salt Lake which isnt bad at all.

As of 2 weeks ago Salt Lake City had 9,016 seats left so with a capacity of 46,500 they've sold 37,484 seats and there are currently 98 field tickets left. So 42,000 ish tickets sold as of right now?

When looking at current sales on ticketmaster they are getting closer and closer to what they were in 2010.

Since there were over 1 million tickets sold to 16 shows the average attendance would have been 62,500 which is slightly lower than 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom