Best of lands at #3 on the Billboard Charts, loses to Eminem & Timberlake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
Just when ya thought music was getting better, The Best of comes in at #3 on the charts, well behind Justin Timberlake at #2, and Eminem's 8mile soundtrack at #1. Ho-hum:scream:

1. 8mile Soundtrack-- 508,000
2. Justified, Justin Timberlake-- 439,000
3. Best of 1990-2000, U2-- 185,000*
4. Stripped, Christina Aguilera-- 168,000
5. Shaman, Santana-- 140,000
6. Cry, Faith Hill-- 126,000
7. The Eminem Show, Eminem-- 115,000
8. Still Ghetto, Jaheim, 111,000
9. Live at Folsom Field, Dave Matthews Band-- 110,000
10. Nirvana, Nirvana-- 109,000

*side note... The Best of 1980-1990 did 237,000 sales in it's first week, landing at #2.

Considering the current state of rock music, or music in general, I'm not surprised by these numbers and where U2 would land this week. Many fans already have most of these songs, some fans choose not to buy the album, so you have hardcore fans buying the Best of because it is somewhat new U2. You will more than likely find U2 becoming #1 in other countries like Canada or Australia. Don't be alarmed, the secret is still with us.

Chris

i was always under the impression that greatest hits never sold all that well*. or was it the other way around?

* as in, it's really a rare thing to see one in the top spot, not that all greatest hits flop.

I thought the first Best Of made a killing. But I'm not sure.

I agree with Doctor Who. The people who bought the album last week were obssesive fans like us. Since it's a greatest hits collection, people will be buying it as gifts for music loving but not necessarily big U2 people. I think it's sales will be steady through the New Year.

If you dont think this is great then you must be crazy. 185000 for a best of. We must remember the 90's were not the best accepted time period. With the exeption of Acthung Baby the 90's werent great for the average fan.

3# in the states is GREAT!

Best of 1980-1990 has sold over 13.5 million copies worldwide to date.

bonoman said:
If you dont think this is great then you must be crazy. 185000 for a best of. We must remember the 90's were not the best accepted time period. With the exeption of Acthung Baby the 90's werent great for the average fan.

3# in the states is GREAT!

Hello,

Yes, a #3 debut in the USA and 185K isn't bad. But many were expecting higher results, especially after last weeks prediction by HITS that it would sell 250-300K (based on its first day sales) and this weeks sales chart, again by HITS, that seemed to indicate The Best Of 1990-2000 sold 204K copies last week. The actual Soundscan figures are 20K lower (almost 10%). I think that makes a big difference. Plus, U2's first Best Of... scanned 237K copies in its first week.

As for debuts of best of/greatest hits compilations, it's true that they often don't debut very high. In 1998, U2 had the record for the best debut of a Best Of... by a band (which, of course, The Beatles have now with their 1 compilation). Best of's are consistent sellers, so they eventually become quite successful over the years. Look at the SoundScan catalog chart and see how many compilations are on it (often also by artists who often don't sell very much of their regular albums).

C ya!

Marty

P.S. The last Best Of... & B-Sides was certified double platinum. I think the new Best Of... & B-Sides is quite on schedule as each copy counts twice for the RIAA certification rules (as it is a double album with a running time of more than 100 minutes), so in that sense I expect the album to be gold by next week. It needs SoundScan sales of 65K copies to make that happen and with the holiday season starting I think it'll do quite well. Add to this the sales of the single disc version and U2 won't have to worry this Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom