Australia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Can somebody please instill some confidence in me that HTDAAB has been quite a failure here in Oz? I mean, take a look at the first week singles -

Vertigo - #5 (thanks to iPod)
Soemtimes - #19
COBL - #31

I cried myself to sleep for weeks when I heard COBL was only #31 in Australia. The greatest song I have ever heard at #31. There is no justice.

Will the tour (which still hasn't been confirmed) have an impact in Australia? Here everyone has forgotten about HTDAAB and tour is rumoured to be in Feb 2006 or even later.

:sigh::sad:

If U2 would tour in Australia, it would have a big impact. I think that HTDAAB would reenter the Top 10 and that other albums would also reenter the album charts.

I think it's already been pretty clearly established that the Australian charts are shit and the stark lack of a U2 tour isn't helping.

The album has been certified three times platinum - thats more than Pop, and its creeping up on 'All That You Cant Leave Behind' - I think we need to appreciate the fact that those who bought the album arent die hard completists who need two cd singles and a dvd single of each track released... I have been buying the singles off HMV UK as they have cheap bundles. So have a lot of U2 fans - all three formats plus postage for $5 less than if I walked into HMV here...

Even Eminem's 3rd and 4th singles off 'Encore' arent selling as well.

They have just reached the natural U2 fan saturation point here in Australia - the tour will be a big boost - especially if they repackage HTDAAB as a tour edition...

HTDAAB has done quite well in Australia. It has sold about 250,000 copies and when u remember that Australia's market is roughly a quarter that of the UK, it means that on a per capita basis it isnt really that far behind the UK.
Pop sold about 100,000 copies here and that was a disappointment, in contrast HTDAAB sold 100,000 in its first 3 weeks!

wow if #31 is bad for Australia, what does it say about America?
I don't think Vertigo even made it that high here, I think it hit #35 and I won't even mention the others that are about 60 spots lower.

But the US charts are different to the Aussie charts. The ARIA Australian chart is still 100% sales based. The US is a mix of downloads, radio play and physical single sales. Many songs go top ten without ever being able to be bought as a single. Hell, Aaliyah went number one with 'Try Again' - just on radio play in the US!

I think the CD singles age is over - mobile phone downloads, legitimate internet downloads and kazaa mean regardless of how obscure a bside is, there are easier options than popping into a record store. I used to be a real CD singles collector - but now unless I get an unreleased BSide (And on 'City Of Blinding Lights' we get live tracks I've had for a decade on a boot and remixes) I dont bother anymore. DVD singles are more appealing to me - I can rip the audio - but get a high quality video as well.

It's only novelty crap like Akon and the Crazy Frog that sell huge amounts of CD singles - as no one wants a whole album of it! :)

I guess you´re right but in my case, when it comes down to U2 I need to get every CD and DVD single version out there!
Obsessed collector? Nah!

thatsnotmypuppy said:
I used to be a real CD singles collector - but now unless I get an unreleased BSide (And on 'City Of Blinding Lights' we get live tracks I've had for a decade on a boot and remixes) I dont bother anymore. DVD singles are more appealing to me - I can rip the audio - but get a high quality video as well.

Well as far as U2 goes, I too still get all the singles - but I tend to order them off hmv.co.uk as they bundle them for 5 or 6 pound. Plus they get them a few weeks before Australia. Most other acts I dont bother with getting all the single releases.

I dont feel guilty as I am paying for the CDs, but my sale helps U2 on the UK charts, not Australia. I doubt my 2 cd singles and 1 dvd single would help on the ARIA chart, but I imagine there are quite a few of us on these boards who go for the UK releases. Especially with COBL - the UK got nice plastic slipcases - not the dodgy cardboard edition we got here in Oz.

What I think U2 need to do is release in conjunction with the tour announcement an Aussie only single - like Canada/US got 'All Because Of You'. Put 'Miracle Drug' or 'A Man And A Woman' out here and see the copies fly off overseas as global U2 fans scramble for copies - yet all those sales will benefit our charts!! Yay!

Better yet - release an Oz only 'Fast Cars' CD single - as we didnt get it on the standard CD of HTDAAB! That would get U2 in the Top 5!!

Do you mean you only got the two tracks cardboard sleeve version? I thought australian versions were the same as in UK for all HTDAAB singles, that is two different jewel case versions and then the carboard edition.

Oh, and I also purchase UK single versions the first week of release to help get them to the top of the chart!

thatsnotmypuppy said:
Especially with COBL - the UK got nice plastic slipcases - not the dodgy cardboard edition we got here in Oz.

Cardboard? I've got proper cases for all my singles, purchased off Sanity's website.

One of the singles is cardboard. The single with the extra song (ie 3 songs) and the DVD are in placky boxes but the back is different to the UKI version. eg the back of the Sometimes DVD didnt have the pic of the Dads, it has no pic on the back.

Oh I see. In Europe, they release three different cd single versions namely the two plastic cases and the carboard sleeve edition (which in the case of HTDAAB singles features the same tracklisting than one of the slimline jewel case editions). Then, you have the DVD edition. Overall 4 different editions for each single. Not to mention that the DVD edition comes in two flavours, slimline jewel case and standar jewel case (UK).

And then, of course, we have the japanese special cd editions which as of late consist of a tracklisting combo of european cd1 and cd2 (those in slimline jewel cases).

Damn it, I wasn´t aware that the australian versions featured different back covers! Is this the case for all HTDAAB singles? And which particular cd versions?

Oh well, it was even worse with ATYCLB cd singles ....

beli said:
One of the singles is cardboard. The single with the extra song (ie 3 songs) and the DVD are in placky boxes but the back is different to the UKI version. eg the back of the Sometimes DVD didnt have the pic of the Dads, it has no pic on the back.

Zoovation said:
If U2 would tour in Australia, it would have a big impact. I think that HTDAAB would reenter the Top 10 and that other albums would also reenter the album charts.
I remember when they first played here just before Unforgetable fire was released. Pride was out. After they left the country and UF was released not only did UF chart at No.1 but War October Boy and UABRS all re-entered the top 40!
Ahhh those where the days
:drool:

Oh, now I get it. It seems you aussies got the same dvd version as the EU version, not the UK version which as I said before comes in a standard jewel case version and back cover.
The slimline jewel case version, as usual, does not include back insert.
The reason why they´re releasing the dvd singles in two different packages now is beyond my grasp.
That was not the case with the ATYCLB singles.

beli said:

There is no back cover, just clear plastic. :(

bono_man2002 said:
I Dont think a tour will do anything to the Australian charts.

Really? :shrug:

It's not a complete fluke that Rattle & Hum is the highest selling U2 album in Australia. If U2 did tour again after so long it would be huge and HTDAAB would re-enter the top 5 I think.

timothius said:

It's not a complete fluke that Rattle & Hum is the highest selling U2 album in Australia. If U2 did tour again after so long it would be huge and HTDAAB would re-enter the top 5 I think.
Ditto
Whenever U2 come downunder, U2 fever comes to town...bring it on!!!!!!:drool:
:crazy:

Nothing would stir up a bit of excitement than the boys hitting town with an extravagent show. Robbie Williams' popularity took off when he toured last year. A lot of people have forgotoen about U2 here... HTDAAB wasn't marketed that well, and that was compounded by the fact they haven't been seen since 1997.

timothius said:

:up:

I agree completely and I feel U2 should tour Australia and other parts of the world this time. I know if I lived there and didn't get to see U2 tour the last time, I'd be super-pissed if I missed them again this time.

Back
Top Bottom