Attendance at all PopMart shows - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Peeling off those Dollar Bills
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 05:12 AM
dont you think superdome is out of the picture now?

Old 09-02-2005, 02:43 AM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:12 AM
2006?

They will likely beat their 1997 attendance.

Was the ticket count ever reported for the cancelled Raleigh Popmart show?

u2fp

Old 09-02-2005, 08:14 AM   #33
War Child

You´re absolutely right sting2. And we all should remember that Popmart was the tour with the most attendance in the US back in 1997. The only reason why Bridges to Babylon was deemed a more successful tour is tickets were more expensive thus making it the top grossing tour in the US that year.
Actually, the Popmart tour sold 100,000 more tickets than the Bridges to Babylon tour in the US. U2 played 10 more shows than the Stones that year in the US, so someone could argue that if the Stones had added three or four more shows to the tour, they would have superseded U2 in the number of tickets sold too.
So, why didn´t they do it? I´m pretty sure the reason is there was no additional demand.

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

I think the book you just got is called "U2 LIVE A CONCERT DOCUMENTARY: Its by Pimm Jal De La Parra. The figures presented here are the same figures that are in the book. All figures come from "Amusement Business" which tracks the concert industry worldwide.

Also, on average for the first leg, most shows had 2/3 to 3/4 of their capacities, 12 shows were sellouts. There were only a small number of shows on the entire tour that only had 1/4 of their capacity filled, that level of attendance was rare.

Tickets for the entire tour went on sale in mid-February several weeks before the album was even released. Regardless, ticket prices and criticisms of the stage show were actually rather minor reasons why the band struggled to fill up the stadiums where as five years earlier on ZOO TV it was comparitively easy. Indeed, many casual fans did not like the new album and did not buy it and were not interested in seeing the new, more expensive show.

Regardless one has to realize that the band were still successful in playing to many full stadiums or soldout stadiums in North America. Every show in Canada soldout with the exception of Vancouver. POPMART was the the highest grossing tour worldwide in 1997 and at that time it was also the second highest grossing tour in history, despite several poorly attended shows.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:30 AM   #34
War Child

I don´t think so but remember that the main reason they cancelled the show was they got the screen extensively damaged by a storm or something like that.
Regardless of the number of tickets sold, at least they had a good excuse.

Quote:
Originally posted by U2FanPeter
2006?

They will likely beat their 1997 attendance.

Was the ticket count ever reported for the cancelled Raleigh Popmart show?

u2fp
Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by fedeu2
And we all should remember that Popmart was the tour with the most attendance in the US back in 1997. The only reason why Bridges to Babylon was deemed a more successful tour is tickets were more expensive thus making it the top grossing tour in the US that year.
Actually, that isn't correct. I have to admit I'm doing this from memory, but if it serves me right, then I think that Garth Brooks had the most attendance for his tour. However, his ticket prices were a lot lower than U2's, so he didn't gross as much.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I don´t think so but remember that the main reason they cancelled the show was they got the screen extensively damaged by a storm or something like that.
I have an old copy of the fanzine The Zooropean (which replaced the excellent Collectormania by Pimm Jal de la Parra for a few issues) with a review of the first dozen or so shows of the Popmart Tour. It says that only 18,000 tickets were sold for the Raleigh concert.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:44 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
You´re absolutely right sting2. And we all should remember that Popmart was the tour with the most attendance in the US back in 1997. The only reason why Bridges to Babylon was deemed a more successful tour is tickets were more expensive thus making it the top grossing tour in the US that year.
Actually, the Popmart tour sold 100,000 more tickets than the Bridges to Babylon tour in the US. U2 played 10 more shows than the Stones that year in the US, so someone could argue that if the Stones had added three or four more shows to the tour, they would have superseded U2 in the number of tickets sold too.
So, why didn´t they do it? I´m pretty sure the reason is there was no additional demand.

The Bidges To Babylon Tour continued in the USA into 1998 and this put them over the top in terms of attendence and increased their total GROSS from 89 million to around 120 million. So it was the bigger tour eventually, but not at the end of 1997.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Popmartijn

Actually, that isn't correct. I have to admit I'm doing this from memory, but if it serves me right, then I think that Garth Brooks had the most attendance for his tour. However, his ticket prices were a lot lower than U2's, so he didn't gross as much.
Garth Brooks only charged 20 dollars a ticket and played only Arena's. I suppose its possible Garth could of had the higher attended tour in the United States, but it would have been very difficult to get that worldwide. It takes 55 completely soldout arena shows just to get to 1 million people. To beat POPMART total worldwide figure of 4 million would have required 220 shows.

In any event, Garth Brooks tour was not looked at as a tour competitive with POPMART or Bridges To Babylon back in 1997, probably because of the low ticket price and smaller venues played.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

If you read the U2 SHOW book, or crew interviews from 1997-8 about the technical aspects of the tour, the crew said the screen NEVER had a major malfunction.

On can also argue that it would have been relatively easy to reshedule the show.

I think an educated guess was that maybe in the range of 15,000 tickets were sold, or less. When exactly was the concert cancelled - just a couple days before the show?

u2fp
Old 09-02-2005, 03:16 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

If you read the U2 SHOW book, or crew interviews from 1997-8 about the technical aspects of the tour, the crew said the screen NEVER had a major malfunction.

On can also argue that it would have been relatively easy to reshedule the show.

I think an educated guess was that maybe in the range of 15,000 tickets were sold, or less. When exactly was the concert cancelled - just a couple days before the show?

u2fp
It was cancelled just a few days before the show, and the screen broke down again during the show in Washington DC according to fans who were there. Even if only 15,000 tickets were sold the band would have played the show, as they did in Jacksonville with the same number in attendance. But most reports I have seen place the number of tickets sold closer to 20,000 for that North Carolina show.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

I thought the gig was even cancelled on the day of the concert. I read about people already being on their way to the stadium when the announcement came that the concert was cancelled.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:40 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

u2fp
I have always had a very deep suspicion that the thing about the damaged screen was a baaaaaaaad excuse.....
Old 09-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #43
War Child

I was just taken into account the year of 1997.
We can´t compare what happened in 1998 since Popmart tour was over by then.

Quote:

The Bidges To Babylon Tour continued in the USA into 1998 and this put them over the top in terms of attendence and increased their total GROSS from 89 million to around 120 million. So it was the bigger tour eventually, but not at the end of 1997.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:49 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

I have always had a very deep suspicion that the thing about the damaged screen was a baaaaaaaad excuse.....
What makes the excuse even weaker is that the 3 Canadian Prairie shows(Winnipeg/ 2 Edmontons) were performed mostly in daylight.

While some source may have said "18,000", this would not include "walk up" ticket sales, which usually amount to a couple thousand. Was the press in the Local Raleigh area "relieved" at the news of the concert cancellation?

u2fp
Old 09-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #45
War Child

Yeah, and the screen was in really bad shape during the second Buenos Aires show. I should know since I was there!
In any event, the screen DID have malfunctions (mostly because of the weather) several times during the tour.

Quote:

It was cancelled just a few days before the show, and the screen broke down again during the show in Washington DC according to fans who were there. Even if only 15,000 tickets were sold the band would have played the show, as they did in Jacksonville with the same number in attendance. But most reports I have seen place the number of tickets sold closer to 20,000 for that North Carolina show.