All-Time Top Grammy winners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
George Solti 31
Quincy Jones 27
Pierre Boulez 25
Vladimir Horowitz 25
Stevie Wonder 22
Henry Mancini 20
U2 17
Ray Charles 17
Alison Krauss 17
Leonard Bernstein 16
Eric Clapton 16
Aretha Franklin 16
Vince Gill 16
Pat Metheny 16
Robert Shaw 16
Paul Simon/Art Garfunkel 16
Sting/Police 16
Yo-Yo Ma 15
Itzhak Perlman15
Al Schmitt 15
Chet Atkins 14
David Foster 14
James Mallinson 14
Jimmy Sturr 14

George Solti, the biggest Grammy winner of all time, conducted the Chicago Symphony Orchestra for decades. He won 31 Grammy awards and was nominated 74 times!

So really, U2 is the most successful rock act in the history of the Grammy Awards, unless you consider Stevie Wonder to be in the same category.

And Eric Clapton received the majority of his awards in one year.

I have never understand why people give so many importance at the Grammy's. How can we take them seriously when they give as many Grammy's in one year at Norah Jones as at Bob Dylan in 45 years ? :huh:

Yahweh_OMG said:
What the hell is that list???!!!! I don't know anything about half the list!:wink: Imust be very ignorant......:hmm:

Well the Grammy awards is about music quality, not popularity. Many of the artist above are involved in Classical and other forms of music that are not mainstream.

STING2 said:

You don't think George Solti deserves his 31 Grammy awards?
Have I say this ? All artists in this list are absolutely great, of course. But where is Bob Dylan ? How this one could have earn the same amount of grammy's than Norah Jones ? Where is Bruce Springsteen ? Prince ? Michael Jackson ? David Bowie ? Led Zeppelin ? The Beatles ? Etc...

George Solti 31
Quincy Jones 27
Pierre Boulez 25
Vladimir Horowitz 25
Stevie Wonder 24
U2 22
Henry Mancini 20
Ray Charles 17
Alison Krauss 17
Leonard Bernstein 16
Eric Clapton 16
Aretha Franklin 16
Vince Gill 16
Pat Metheny 16
Robert Shaw 16
Sting/Police 16
Yo-Yo Ma 15
Itzhak Perlman15
Al Schmitt 15
Chet Atkins 14
David Foster 14
James Mallinson 14
Jimmy Sturr 14

This is the new list following tonights awards.

Are you sure about that? I saw Alison Krauss win an award this evening (although she was so blase that you might not have noticed), so I think that would have upped her total?

biff said:
Are you sure about that? I saw Alison Krauss win an award this evening (although she was so blase that you might not have noticed), so I think that would have upped her total?

I did not know that, I'll add her total when I know how many she won.

U2 will get to the top of this list. I guarantee it. I think they're actually going after it. If they put out another album with the first single being eligible for one Grammy year and the album up for the next and they win 8 again, they've just about got it. No problem.

I still can't believe Achtung Baby didn't get it and ATYCLB lost to "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?".:mad:

STING2 said:
George Solti 31
Quincy Jones 27
Pierre Boulez 25
Vladimir Horowitz 25
Stevie Wonder 24
U2 22
Henry Mancini 20
Ray Charles 17
Alison Krauss 17
Leonard Bernstein 16
Eric Clapton 16
Aretha Franklin 16
Vince Gill 16
Pat Metheny 16
Robert Shaw 16
Sting/Police 16
Yo-Yo Ma 15
Itzhak Perlman15
Al Schmitt 15
Chet Atkins 14
David Foster 14
James Mallinson 14
Jimmy Sturr 14

#6 - ain't a bad place to be at all :applaud:

STING2 said:
George Solti 31
Quincy Jones 27
Pierre Boulez 25
Vladimir Horowitz 25
Stevie Wonder 24
U2 22
Henry Mancini 20
Ray Charles 17
Alison Krauss 17
Leonard Bernstein 16
Eric Clapton 16
Aretha Franklin 16
Vince Gill 16
Pat Metheny 16
Robert Shaw 16
Sting/Police 16
Yo-Yo Ma 15
Itzhak Perlman15
Al Schmitt 15
Chet Atkins 14
David Foster 14
James Mallinson 14
Jimmy Sturr 14

Alison Krauss has earned 3 new awards.

Easily the highest total for any band, or anyone in the mainstream, 9 to go to tie the record for their career? I think it can be done.

Realistically in terms of Popular Music, U2 are 2nd in the All Time Grammy List behind Stevie Wonder. A marvelous performance and a tribute to all the great music they have released down the years.

However it must be noted that some of the awards that U2 have won did not exist back in the 70's and some, such as Rock Album and Rock Song have only been in existance since the early 90's. If these awards existed back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, maybe the Beatles, Stones, Bruce Springsteen etc would have had more. However this doesn't take away from U2's performance.

Also, I dont think Sting and the Police should be Categorised together, nor Shud Paul Simon and Art Garfunkal as many of their awards were won seperately, not together.

George Solti 31
Quincy Jones 27
Pierre Boulez 25
Vladimir Horowitz 25
Stevie Wonder 24
U2 22
Henry Mancini 20
Alison Krauss 20
Ray Charles 17
Leonard Bernstein 16
Eric Clapton 16
Aretha Franklin 16
Vince Gill 16
Pat Metheny 16
Robert Shaw 16
Sting/Police 16
Yo-Yo Ma 15
Itzhak Perlman15
Al Schmitt 15
Chet Atkins 14
David Foster 14
James Mallinson 14
Jimmy Sturr 14

Not insignificantly, both have impressed Grammy voters with strong performances on past telecasts, including Blige's spine-tingling duet with U2 on the Irish band's song "One" — the recorded version of which is a favorite for a record of the year nomination.

Song

Dixie Chicks' "Not Ready to Make Nice," Timberlake's "Sexyback," Tunstall's "Black Horse and the Cherry Tree," Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy," Blunt's "You're Beautiful." Also in the running are Underwood's "Jesus, Take the Wheel," Mayer's "Waiting for the World to Change" and Blige's "Be Without You."

Record

Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy," the Blige/U2 duet "One," Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man," Timberlake's "Sexyback," Dixie Chicks' "Not Ready to Make Nice" — though Kanye West's "Touch the Sky" could get consideration (the "Late Registration" album, of course, was eligible last year, but this single is up this year).

New artist

Gnarls Barkley, Blunt, Raye, Tunstall, Underwood, with particularly strong challenges from Panic! at the Disco and Ne-Yo.

Back
Top Bottom