Album Sale figures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope. None of that is here. Why on earth would we have that info. in this forum?

Oh wait... if you actually look through this forum to, say, page 2, you might find it. I know it takes a lot of work to go to page 2, but it's worth it. :sexywink:

Of course, if that still is too much clicking for you, you can click here. :wink:

Last edited:
Peterrrrr said:
Ok, but I don't find any information on the total sales worldwide
for all the albums on that thread.

Well, HTDAAB is hitting the 2 million mark. :wink:

Popmartijn said:

Thanks :) But where are the figures for worldwide sales on all the albums?

Im looking for sale figures on a list, like this

Boy ? Milion
October ? Milion
War ? Milion
UABRS ? Milion
UF ? Milion
WAIA ? Milion
JT ? Milion
R&H ? Milion
AB ? Milion
Zooropa ? Milion
Passengers ? Milion
Pop ? Milion
Besf Of 1980-1990 ? Milion
ATYCLB ? Milion
Best Of 1990-2000 ? Milion
HTDAAB ? Milion

Woulde be nice if someone could help me :)

Peterrrrr said:

Thanks :) But where are the figures for worldwide sales on all the albums?

Im looking for sale figures on a list, like this

Boy ? Milion
October ? Milion
War ? Milion
UABRS ? Milion
UF ? Milion
WAIA ? Milion
JT ? Milion
R&H ? Milion
AB ? Milion
Zooropa ? Milion
Passengers ? Milion
Pop ? Milion
Besf Of 1980-1990 ? Milion
ATYCLB ? Milion
Best Of 1990-2000 ? Milion
HTDAAB ? Milion

Woulde be nice if someone could help me :)

Any such list is typically an estimate depending on what source you use. There are confirmed sales inside each country that has a firm that does an audit to certify sales levels. Soundscan or point of sale information is often out there for various countries. In recent years, its been easier to get accurate global sales information on recent releases. Albums released further in the past, especially prior to 1990 can sometimes be difficult to estimate. Occasionally the record company might release information, but sometimes it is not known if such information is just albums or includes albums and singles. Also, sometimes it is outdated information.

Anyways, based on all the sources I have seen, this is what U2's albums have each sold worldwide:

Boy 2.8 Million
October 2.8 Million
War 7.5 Million
UABRS 8 Million
UF 7 Milion
WAIA 2 Million
JT 28 Million
R&H 13 Million
AB 17 Million
Zooropa 6 Million
Passengers .5 Million
Pop 6 Million
Besf Of 1980-1990 16 Million
ATYCLB 12 Million
Best Of 1990-2000 5 Million
HTDAAB 9.5 Million

Total: 143.1 Million

ohhhhh...i don't know about that Sting2. I think much more like 143.350 million. lol. :wink:

Seriously though, a few things :

- isn't it more like 7-8m for Zooropa ? I mean 2.5m US, 500k UK is a fair bit more than Pop's 1.5m US, 400k UK (& i agree with the 6m figure for Pop). Also, i have an article from The Guardian newspaper (UK broadsheet) circa Oct ' 96 which said 7.8m & then The Face (now defunct UK fashion bible) which said 'maybe around 8m' circa Feb 1997.

- Jo Whiley, (UK radio 1 DJ) whilst narrating that Pop promotional / U2 documentary TV special back in ' 97, said 8m each for UF & War.

- in that recent book 'U2 Show: The Art of Touring' Paul M. says they must have 'now sold at least 9m' for UABRS.

Last edited:
And what about the best of 90-00? 5 million seems a bit too low.
Also, sting2 are you sure about the 28 million figure for JT?

edge3 said:
ohhhhh...i don't know about that Sting2. I think much more like 143.350 million. lol. :wink:

- isn't it more like 7-8m for Zooropa ? I mean 2.5m US, 500k UK is a fair bit more than Pop's 1.5m US, 400k UK (& i agree with the 6m figure for Pop). Also, i have an article from The Guardian newspaper (UK broadsheet) circa Oct ' 96 which said 7.8m & then The Face (now defunct UK fashion bible) which said 'maybe around 8m' circa Feb 1997.

- Jo Whiley, (UK radio 1 DJ) whilst narrating that Pop promotional / U2 documentary TV special back in ' 97, said 8m each for UF & War.

- in that recent book 'U2 Show: The Art of Touring' Paul M. says they must have 'now sold at least 9m' for UABRS.

edge3 said:

I could see 7 million for Zooropa and in fact I think I remember seeing an article in Billboard saying it had sold 5 million copies outside the United States back in 1994. But then there is the Polygram New Zealand statement in early 1997 saying it was just over 6 million in sales, but that statement had some other inaccurate figures about other albums.

I'm sure 8 million is possible for UF and WAR, as well as 9 million for UABRS, but I just have not seen any information that would show that. Funny how Paul M. says "they must have now sold at least 9m":wink: . Well, Paul, I think you are in a better position than anyone else to find out the truth.

fedeu2 said:
And what about the best of 90-00? 5 million seems a bit too low.
Also, sting2 are you sure about the 28 million figure for JT?

Well, for the Best of 90-00, we know it has only sold a little more than 1 million copies in the United States and that in Europe it has only sold 2 million copies. 5 million copies seems right on the mark. The mediatraffic figure for the album is 3 million, although this is prior to when they started using precise sales and still used estimates.

The Joshua Tree had sold 7 million copies worldwide by June 1987. It had sold 14 million copies by December 1987. From December 1987 to September 1995, the Joshua Tree sold another 6 million copies just in the United States. That puts the album at 20 million copies worldwide as of September 1995 WITHOUT COUNTING sales from outside the United States from January 1988 to September 1995! Then you have 11 years of sales around the world since September 1995 to count. 28 million might be to small.

Joshua Tree:

US: Approx 12M by now
Canada: Approx 1.8M by now
UK: Approx 2.3M
Australia: 0.4M
France: 2M
Germany: 1.2M
Rest Of Europe: Around 4.5M
Rest Of World: 3M or so

So approx 27 or 28 Million

Regarding Best Of 90-00 :

- In Jan 2003 Musicweek reported that it was the biggest selling UK sourced album of 2002 with total shipments outside the UK of 5.2m.

- It's now either at /or v.close to the 850k sales mark in the UK.

So it's defintely now shipped over 6m in total (6.3m ?)...i think sales to consumers are probably now 5.5 to 5.8m.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom