2 sales questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
How many of U2's albums broke the 10 million mark in sales worldwide (I think 3 but I could be wrong)?

What are top 3 U2 selling albums in the US? (apart from the two Best ofs I mean)

I'm not sure if this is right, but I think for the US, the top-selling would be: ATYCLB, JT and AB....

~C :)

Worldwide :

The Joshua Tree

Achtung Baby

The Best Of 1980-1990

ATYCLB

and maybe Rattle & Hum

In US, the top 3 are ( RIAA numbers ) :

1. The Joshua Tree ( 10 million )

2. Achtung Baby ( 8 million )

3. R&H ( 5 million )

Vox

Last edited:
Rattle And Hum is most likely over 10 million worldwide as it sold 7.5 million worldwide in 1988-1989. 3 million of that was sales in the USA. In 1995, Rattle And Hum hit the 5 million mark in the USA which at the very least boosted the worldwide total to 9.5 million. Rattle and Hum has continue to chart around the world after 1989 and so its rather obvious that its sold more than a half a million copies in countries around the world since that time.

I actually think that Rattle And Hum's sales are more than ATYCLB's currently, worldwide.

I remember the fact that R&H sold 350,000 copies in its firts week in UK!!!

And in USA, 6 weeks at number 1 and 3 million copies sold in 1988 and 1989. Great first year by R&H!!

Vox

Thanks for the info :up:

What about Zooropa, how did it do worldwide (I think 8,9 million) and US?

From what I have seen, Zooropa did about 7 million worldwide with 2 million of that number coming from sales in the USA.

STING2 said:
From what I have seen, Zooropa did about 7 million worldwide with 2 million of that number coming from sales in the USA.

This is another album that badly needs a recertification. The last time Zooropa was certified (for 2 million copies shipped in the USA) was 8 September 1993, more than 11 years ago and, more importantly, only 2 months after its release. Who knows what has been shipped after September 1993...

C ya!

Marty

The Soundscan figure in January 1994 had the album at 1.8 million. The Soundscan figure in March 1997 was 2.2 million.

It would be cool to see it go triple platinum in the USA, but that probably will take as long as POP will take to go double platinum.

Although Amazon.com sales cannot be extrapolated to represent all sales in general, it can give an idea of which U2 albums are the most popular. The last I saw of the Billboard top 200 Catalog albums, only The Best Of 1980-1990 was on there selling just in the top 100 range.

Anyways here are the current sales ranks from Amazon.com

The Best Of 1980-1990*#129
The Best Of 1990-2000* #199
The Best Of 1980-1990 #360
The Best Of 1990-2000 #690
The Joshua Tree #792
ATYCLB #821
Achtung Baby #1,349
October #1,890
The Unforgettable Fire #1,891
WAR #2,388
Rattle And Hum #3,056
BOY #4,217
Under A Blood Red Sky #5,976
Zooropa #9,181
POP #14,254
Wide Awake In America #23,468

The * refers to the limited edition releases which seem to be selling very well through Amazon. I don't know how October is ranking so high at the moment, but its cool.

Achtung Sales

the latest version of Q magazine, with the article on Zoo TV, puts sales of AB at over 15 million !

Mike

Wow! 15+million?

:up:

Did they say anything about other album sales?

*edit* is it custom that bands get their catalog recertificated when they reach an anniversary in their career? Will they recertificate U2's albums next year?

Last edited:
U2girl said:
*edit* is it custom that bands get their catalog recertificated when they reach an anniversary in their career? Will they recertificate U2's albums next year?

No, it isn't custom. The agencies (RIAA, IFPI, ARIA, etc.) only (re-)certify when they receive a request (by the artist or the record company). There are also costs for the audit, so it's not a service they do for free.
Whether or not we will see a recertification of U2's albums next year, it is to be seen. As said, they have to specifically request the audit. On the other hand, if they have a new album, then recertification can be done together with certification of that album (should it go gold/platinum/multi-platinum). The price is the same for one album or for 14 albums.

C ya!

Marty

U2girl said:
Wow! 15+million?

:up:

Did they say anything about other album sales?

U2girl,

unfortunately the article didn't mention sales of other U2 albums -although I guess STING could probaly (again) make an educated guess ?

Mike

I just read recently that ATYCLB reached the 4 mil mark just this year. I don't know if it's world wide and/or USA.
Being at work and with not much time to read, I really don't remember where it was. I think HotPress however, because I spend alot of time in their archives. (When the boss isn't around):yikes: Could've been here, somewhere, because I'm over here alot if the rest of the time. Someone probably posted it.

Yes, ATYCLB has been certified for sales of over 4 million copies in the USA. Worldwide the total is around 13 million copies (out of my head, a better answer can be found in one of the other threads in this forum).

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom