Mobile App Change Coming Soon-ish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Site Team
Staff member
Some of you may be seeing a slidedown notice for tapatalk (a mobile app). In the next week or so we are going to be changing our app. Please ignore the tapatalk notice for now but in a few days you should see a prompt to install our new app which is based on the tapatalk platform.

We're making this change because we're just not satisfied with the current app; lots of folks have had trouble and we believe this will be an improvement. :wave:

Looks like the update hasn't pushed through for Android yet. Google takes up to 24 hours though.

So I like the interface, I like the direction it's gone in, but...

Since this is Festivus, and Festivus is a time for airing of grievances...

- when browsing, it shows the first post in the thread, not the latest post
- on the old app, you could browse in the first tab and have current posts in the second tab, in this new app there's no way to have two threads open (I used to have the Superthread in OOC open all the time, or threads that were really busy, so RMT sometimes, and then have the current posts in the second tab)
- the red is not good
- could we move "Timeline" and "Browse" to the top of the sidebar? I feel like they're the ones people will use most over settings, notifications, subscribed, etc
- Search doesn't work
- There's no multi-quote
- doesn't work
- There's no option for 15 posts per page, which is the forum default unless I'm mistaken?
- When you're browsing if you want to get back to the sidebar you have to keep pressing back, it doesn't seem to scroll like Facebook or Tinder or other apps
- GIFs don't animate (they didn't on the old app either, but it's much improved on this app because it says GIF in the bottom right corner, and when you touch it goes to the animated image)
- Navigating pages is a bit convoluted, the page numbers up top worked well... and without a 15-post-per-page option posts are on different pages in the app to when I'm surfing on my comp

There's some good stuff though. It seems a bit quicker, doesn't seem to be crashing like the old app, pics show up a million times better, youtube videos load quicker.

But yeah... if it's possible to fix a few of the above that would be great. I like it but it's pretty annoying to use at the moment, and if I can find a way to revert back to the old app until bugs are ironed out I will.

I'm starting to realize that the Apple version of the old app is way better than the Android version... You have tabs?

Well I'm not sure... down the bottom of the app there was five squares (tabs) that you could tap, one for browsing, the next showed current/participated posts, the third was inbox, fourth was your profile and fifth was settings. It was really easy to navigate. Don't know if that was the same as Android? Anyway it's much harder to navigate on this new app.

But being able to post youtube videos from your phone is :drool:

I only ever use current posts unless I'm looking for a specific thread.

I have a notification set for the Superthread, so I know when there's a post in there because I get a little pop up alert.

To get to the side bar you just swipe the screen to the right, correct? Or you mean when you are in a thread?

Yep search doesnt work.

I noticed for 'participated' it says I have no topics, but that's not true.

Also I know I have unread posts in the mod forum but on the app it doesnt show up as any new posts in that forum.

I still haven't seen the update come through for Android, but if it's following the swipe from the left strategy, then I'm pretty excited. It's much more user friendly. A lot of Google apps are following this strategy. It basically manages screen space more efficiently.

Swipe gestures ftw.

There are still some updates to be made to the app. Look for some tweaks over the next few weeks. :wave:

The main issues for me right now:

- Not being able to upload photos in any forum, even Pleba , which I find pretty ironic :giggle:

I get a message saying I don't have permission to post pictures in -insert forum-

I've only ever been able to post pics via app with a photobucket link. The attach photos thing I think a) only works if you're premium and b) won't show up when you're on a desktop/laptop

Swear to gob, I thought people were typing that on purpose because I first noticed it in the new album thread where they'd been discussing phones.

It took me hours to realize it was an automatic thing.

Alright, so I realize now that a lot of the issues I had with the app are because I wasn't logged in (I was logged out when the app updated) and didn't realize it. So it's functioning better now that I'm actually on the site.

Also, I know it's been complained about, but I actually like the red color on the app. I wouldn't suggest it for the website as a whole, but it's sharp looking on the phone.

I understand that, but I've always wondered why that's the logo. No reason, or does it have some correlation with the band/site?

Like PhilsFan, a lot of my grievances with the new app were solved once I realized I wasn't logged in. I'm already very familiar with this version of Tapatalk from other forums, so this isn't a foreign concept. I like it.

The only thing I wish would be implemented is an option to turn off remembering the screen position (that's awful wording). Like when I'm flipping back and forth between pages of a thread, I tend to swipe, and it remembers where I was on that page, which more often than not results in me ending up in the middle of the page, and it kinda bugs me. If that made ANY sense. :D

Back
Top Bottom