Women's World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bf90cbcd625c920ff20e6a706700e6a9.jpg

I was sitting at McDonalds with family and didn't even realize what I was watching, but I saw the end. :doh:

Great tournaments. Mexican equaliser against the English was a cracker of a goal.

Shame Matildas couldn't overcome Sweden. Our defence is leaky and horribly inexperienced, and we've been playing 16-17 year olds but we have some talent in midfield, especially with McCallum, who can bend the ball better than 99% of male players.

intedomine said:
Great tournaments. Mexican equaliser against the English was a cracker of a goal.

Shame Matildas couldn't overcome Sweden. Our defence is leaky and horribly inexperienced, and we've been playing 16-17 year olds but we have some talent in midfield, especially with McCallum, who can bend the ball better than 99% of male players.

cuz I'm feeling lazy ~ I concur with all of the above! Kidlet number 3 watched the Matildas with me and was barking defensive plays at them throughout the game :cute: . . . if nothing else it's a great learning curve and if they can hold themselves together mentally and strengthen their defense . . . big things!!!!!

Really looking forward to the next few matches :)

Partying like it's 1999 in USA! This tournament has been great. A Japan-USA final would be great, because even if USA lost I would be happy for Japan in the wake of the tsunami. I watched the 1999 USA-China final as well, so it's nice to have seen an american soccer team win a world cup.

By the way, so glad the non-US fans turned on Brazil and got behind the USA. They were doing so much flopping and faking, it looked like the men's game. Women's soccer hasn't had as much faking and diving, so I'm glad Brazil was boo'ed and lost in the end. Keep it out! The men's teams need to stop doing it as well, but that probably won't happen anytime soon.

Partying like it's 1999 in USA! This tournament has been great. A Japan-USA final would be great, because even if USA lost I would be happy for Japan in the wake of the tsunami. I watched the 1999 USA-China final as well, so it's nice to have seen an american soccer team win a world cup.

By the way, so glad the non-US fans turned on Brazil and got behind the USA. They were doing so much flopping and faking, it looked like the men's game. Women's soccer hasn't had as much faking and diving, so I'm glad Brazil was boo'ed and lost in the end. Keep it out! The men's teams need to stop doing it as well, but that probably won't happen anytime soon.

Japan's captain getting cleated in the crotch, being carried off the field in agony, then returning 15 minutes later to deliver the game-winning assist against Germany is one of the more surreal things I've ever seen.

I saw that, and apparently she rarely goes down, so I think she was legit hurt and not flopping which made it special. They'll play through the pain at the world cup which is nice to see.

I saw that, and apparently she rarely goes down, so I think she was legit hurt and not flopping which made it special. They'll play through the pain at the world cup which is nice to see.

Japan played with 10 players for a full five minutes while she was off, and she was visibly limping for a minute after that, so she definitely was hurt. It was pretty funny listening to Ian Darke and Julie Foudy skirting the exact location of the injury.

Overall, I was impressed by their ball-control game (watching them pass the ball back and forth in their own box while being pressured by Germany was hilarious) and their defense (they tackle hard but fairly, and did okay in the air considering that Germany had about a 3-inch height advantage on them across the board).

Only caught 30 minutes of the France-USA match while on lunch break at work. France is skilled with the ball and super fast on the counter, but their goalie is terrible.

Only caught 30 minutes of the France-USA match while on lunch break at work. France is skilled with the ball and super fast on the counter, but their goalie is terrible.

. . . well, the US were all over the french in the second half; really strong attacking game and certainly gave the french goalie a run (and a half) for her money . . . the header from Abby Wambach was pretty cool :)

. . . and Japan are certainly making the swedes work hard ~ looking forward to the final whoever makes it through :up:

Wow, awful rebound by the Swedish keeper, but nice finish by Sawa.

That goal was beautiful.

Swedish goalie confirmed terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom