Women's World Cup 2015

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow, massive miss there for France. If they lose in PK's that whole "falter under the pressure" thing won't leave them soon.

Knew Angerer would get at least one. She has a knack for penalties.

But Thiney had a shot to win it for France in extra time. Kinda wish France had won, they're a bit more fun to watch on the ball. And if USA win I'd want them in an environment that is more for the opposing team, with the game in Montreal.

Oh look, Amy Rodriguez makes a brilliant run to get behind the defense and blows the finish.

If China thinks they can just sit deep and try to score on the counter, they got another think coming.

Yeah I don't necessarily trust Rodriguez to score but she can get past that Defense.

Hoping for subs of Heather O'Reilly and Press or Leroux.

I'm also really impressed by Meghan Klingenberg's skill and composure with the ball.

Bit disappointing the French couldn't get up. Always good to see some of the big guns unexpectedly eliminated.

The USA would thoroughly deserve the win here, China have looked quite spooked the whole game.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

I don't know, the Germans were lucky France couldn't bury those chances. Germany were kind getting worked over most of the game with France controlling the pace. It took a handball for them to score. Then again...USA is having that same issue scoring that France seemed to in that game.

If they can find the net though, with that defense they'll be tough. USA should use the speedy players to get behind GER. It should be another awesome game.

As should Japan-Australia and England-Canada. I like England there, but for some reason think Canada will pull something out of their @$$ late.

I don't know, the Germans were lucky France couldn't bury those chances. Germany were kind getting worked over most of the game with France controlling the pace. It took a handball for them to score. Then again...USA is having that same issue scoring that France seemed to in that game.

If they can find the net though, with that defense they'll be tough. USA should use the speedy players to get behind GER. It should be another awesome game.

As should Japan-Australia and England-Canada. I like England there, but for some reason think Canada will pull something out of their @$$ late.

Yeah, the big thing is the USA need to be more clinical with their chances, because there won't be as many. Unlike China, Germany aren't going to give the ball back if you ask for it nicely.

:(

I must say, some baffling decisions by Stajic. Simon and Gorry should have stayed on while Kerr should have been taken off far earlier. She was spent.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Not quite as baffling as the French coach, but fairly close.

I'm feeling the Lionesses next. But it could be one of those monster Christine Sinclair games too. England defense is pretty good though.

I mean, I try not to single out individual players for blame...but good lord Sesselmann was atrocious. Not just the giveaway for a goal, but all the misplaced passes, miscommunications with her back line, playing her teammates into pickles...oy.

Yeah and there were times Canada were hesitating too much. Just shoot! Especially since England had to sub in a backup goalie.

Canada looked dodgy all tournament compared to the 2012 Olympics when they went toe-to-toe with the likes of France & USA, mostly because the lack of Matheson (who scored the goal against France to win them the Bronze, & cause France to blow another shot at winning something at a major tournament). Don't have the depth yet to replace a top player like that who can create scoring chances.

Last edited:
A very poor showing for Canada. What now for this program? This tourney was the intense focus of this team for 3 years, and THAT was the performance they put forth? Very disappointing...they had heart, but no cohesiveness it seemed to me.

A big part of the problem is that Canada (like the USA) is heavily dependent on NCAA soccer for player development.

In NCAA soccer, you can sub as many players as you want in and out (but a player who comes out has to wait for the next half to come back in). Guess what kind of soccer that incentivizes?

That BC Place Stadium design is a problem. The sun does get in the eyes on one side.

In the 14th minute as Canada wobbled on defence again when Bronze beat the much smaller Allysha Chapman to a free kick and headed the ball in off the crossbar. The sun streaming through the stadium roof did not help Chapman’s cause.

They are using that stadium again for the final. not good.

But doesn't the roof completely close? Or does it just fully open rather than just in that one area? I know its retractable in some way.

Back
Top Bottom