What, No Premier League Thread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Headache in a Suitcase

Site Team
Staff member
With the other morally corrupt bootlicking rubes.
3994530525-22082011221510.jpg

Would prefer a Bundesliga thread, or an MLS thread, or an A-League thread. EPL will be a right bore (again) this year. Man Utd will romp it home.

Would prefer a Bundesliga thread, or an MLS thread, or an A-League thread. EPL will be a right bore (again) this year. Man Utd will romp it home.

Oh, come on. Chelsea and Man City are very legit contenders.

speedracer said:
Oh, come on. Chelsea and Man City are very legit contenders.

I think his point (one I wholeheartedly agree with) is that the EPL is dominated by the same teams every year. There's been, what, four winners in two decades? Ridiculous.

True that, Cobbler. England and Spain are a waste of time following because the competition for the title is so painfully predictable and limited to only a few. I suppose ManUre could stumble should they be decimated by injuries, and if Man Shitty and Chelski maintain some sort of consistency. But Chelski are rebuilding in some respects, and it's impossible to respect Man Shitty with Balotelli and Tevez really not wanting to even be at the club.

England will get interesting in the second half of the season once the relegation battle heats up, always a reliably exciting segment of the league to focus on, as opposed to the top end.

I suppose the EPL justifies it's own thread (I'm just being a cheeky fucker) due to the coverage the global media gives it, but as a league, I reckon England pales in comparison to the Bundesliga, which trumps England on competitiveness and atmosphere every time.

I'd love to see Bundesliga receive more attention. It's not as if the quality of the football is especially weaker, and it's a super fun competition to watch.

I reckon England pales in comparison to the Bundesliga, which trumps England on competitiveness and atmosphere every time.

I'd love to see Bundesliga receive more attention. It's not as if the quality of the football is especially weaker, and it's a super fun competition to watch.

you reckon the bundesliga trumps england, because you hate england and everything english, why don't you arm yourself with a few facts before posting your drivel in future, in the 49 years of its existance 12 teams have won the bundesliga, as opposed to 10 in england, the difference is stunning isn't it?, 1 team has won the bundesliga a total of 21 times, yes 21 times in 49 years, no english team has won that many titles in over 120 years of league football, this season 3, maybe 4 teams will fancy their chances of winning the premier league, the 4th being liverpool, the battle for the top 4 places will be fought between 6 clubs,compact the timeframe to the start of the premier league, and yes, only 4 teams have won the epl, but only 6 teams have won the bundesliga, again with bayern munich being far and away the most dominant team, the fact is EVERY major league around europe is dominated by 1,2, or 3 clubs, not just england, & spain, but italy, germany portugal , the netherlands, hell, even scotland and as for atmosphere, have you ever actually attended a premier league match, my guess is not, not disputing the fact the bundesliga is a great league with great teams, and fans too, but please stop trashing the premier league without having any great knowledge of it other than what you see on tv, or read in the press

England, the ONLY nation to have won the 2 main sporting World Cups ever,
a feat no other nation will ever achieve!!!!!

You're delving way back into ancient history. In the past 20 years, the English Premier League has become increasingly predictable in recent times, while in Germany, clubs (B.Dortmund, Leverkusen, Bremen, Wolfsburg, Stuttgart, Schalke) have organically challenged the financial behemoth that is Bayern Munich, and beaten them to the title a number of times. It's not just about first place in the Bundesliga, but the next few rungs where the competition is wide open. In England, the gap between the top bracket and the middle bracket of sides is consistently vast. You never hear talk about a big and indomitable Four in Germany, just the vulnerable One (Bayern). Chelsea and Man City might seem like credible challengers to the traditional English superpowers, but that is purely through money rather than anything more organic to footballing ability or team management (Hanover 96 last season, Fulham a few seasons back, Leeds way before that).

I agree, most leagues in Europe a grotesquely predictable few-horse races (Spain and Scotland are far worse than England at the moment), but if competitivity (as opposed to big name clubs) in a football league is what one desires, Bundesliga holds far more aces than the English top flight in 2011-2012.

I haven't been to either a Bundesliga or EPL match to assess atmosphere myself, I'm going on anecdotes, (and visuals of increasingly empty stands at EPL, not Bundesliga matches).

I don't know what the other main sporting World Cup is??

How do you feel about Kewell?

It's great for the blue half of Melbourne from a football perspective. We're rebuilding under Durakovic, and he'll slot in nicely with Kruse gone. Kewell is still capable of some pretty decent touch, going by the reports from his time at Galatasaray. Has spiked a substantial increase in membership in the past few days. Here's hoping he remains fit.

Bit precious. No, the low activity in the general football discussion thread suggests that it wouldn't be justified. Nevermind.

What team should I root for? I feel like every American male in their 20s now has decided to adopt an EPL team.
I'll echo this question. Everybody here usually rocks a Manchester or Chelsea jersey (on rare occasions Arsenal or Liverpool). But that's the equivalent of euro-douches wearing Yankees or Red Sox caps, innit? So, who's the football equivalent of like, the Pittsburgh Pirates?

If I'm going to co-opt another culture's national sport, I wanna do it with some originality dammit.

I'll echo this question. Everybody here usually rocks a Manchester or Chelsea jersey (on rare occasions Arsenal or Liverpool). But that's the equivalent of euro-douches wearing Yankees or Red Sox caps, innit? So, who's the football equivalent of like, the Pittsburgh Pirates?

If I'm going to co-opt another culture's national sport, I wanna do it with some originality dammit.

Just watch a lot of games and figure out which team you like. Advertising monies being what they are though, you're going to be resigned to watching a lot of laggy internet streams if you want to follow a lower-table team regularly.

Back
Top Bottom