Vancouver Olympics - Part II - ATTENTION: SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bummer. I've read mention of this in two different articles about Women's Hockey now; the IOC is considering dropping Women's Hockey from the Winter Games for lack of international competition. Looks like a similar decision to dropping Softball from the Summer Games.

I wonder how ticket sales factor into a decision like that?

I don't know what ticket sales have been like for women's hockey, but the fact that there are only two countries that are any good at it and strong evidence that no others are going to challenge them any time soon is far more important.

I don't know what ticket sales have been like for women's hockey, but the fact that there are only two countries that are any good at it and strong evidence that no others are going to challenge them any time soon is far more important.

I mention tickets mainly because if the 2010 Winter Games were held outside of North America would the IOC have dropped Women's Hockey after Torino?
I don't know for certain that it'll be dropped, but it seems more and more likely.

Also, I'm curious about what percentage of revenue the IOC derives from ticket sales.

mens gold medal curling

after 5 ends

canada 3
norway 0

this is the final curling of the olympics :sad:

Did you hear the guy in the crowd yell "Take off your shirt!". It got a little giggle out of Vic Rauter lol

In my opinion, Johnny got straight-out robbed in the men's final. He stepped out of a sit spin and got all sorts of deductions when guys who finished ahead of him were falling out of jumps.

I agree with him that US Figure Skating doesn't like him. Skating judges are mostly old, crotchety frustrated skaters these days and they sure don't want to see a guy in a pink corset or covered in fox fur and feathers. Depending on the demographic of the judging panel at a given competition, I am quite sure he is judged differently from Evan Lysacek in a blue tux or Jeremy Abbott in the eternal puffy shirt and black pants. He doesn't have the difficulty the other men do, but what he does he does beautifully and he doesn't always get rewarded for it.

I agree completely. I was shocked that Patrick Chan finished ahead of Weir. There is still some room for bias in this new scoring system.

Yay bobsled! I love that Americans have won medals in events they had sucked at for ages. :D

Oh, and my sister and I had a Be Good Johnny Weir mini-marathon last night. :love: How does Viktor deal with his wife, mother-in-law, and Johnny? lol

Is anyone watching the skiing and snowboarding on NBC now? The fog is so thick, you could barely see the athletes! They should've postponed this event.

Point taken...

As for the skating gala, I nearly cried when that Canadian skated for her mother. Even though I didn't understand the lyrics of the song, it was a beautiful performance.

Back
Top Bottom