Vancouver Olympics - Part II - ATTENTION: SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i caught a little bit of the penguins/rangers hockey game last night and the gold medal winning 4-man bobsled team was at the rink. they even had their gold medals with them

the PA guy introduced them during a break and the MSG crowd gave them a standing ovation and a 'USA! USA! USA!' chant.

thought it was awesome :up:

i caught a little bit of the penguins/rangers hockey game last night and the gold medal winning 4-man bobsled team was at the rink. they even had their gold medals with them

the PA guy introduced them during a break and the MSG crowd gave them a standing ovation and a 'USA! USA! USA!' chant.

thought it was awesome :up:

Very cool.

I heard that at the Sabres vs. Penguins game Tues. night, Ryan Miller (USA Goalie) got a much louder and longer standing ovation than Crosby (winning goal scorer for the Gold Medal). :up: :lol:

It was a home game, and Crosby plays for the Penguins, which makes it even better.

i heard the audio of the ryan miller ovation on the radio. wish i would have seen it

i did see the capitals/sabres game two nights ago and the buffalo crowd gave their guy a long ovation too.

There have been some great introductions for medalists in the NHL this week. :up: Can't wait for the Canucks to FINALLY have a game at home on the 13th. I'm sure the crowd will go apeshit! :D

Very cool.

I heard that at the Sabres vs. Penguins game Tues. night, Ryan Miller (USA Goalie) got a much louder and longer standing ovation than Crosby (winning goal scorer for the Gold Medal). :up: :lol:

It was a home game, and Crosby plays for the Penguins, which makes it even better.

It's OK, we all know that Crosby is the only player that gave/will give either team a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup! :D :wave:

:wink:

It's OK, we all know that Crosby is the only player that gave/will give either team a legitimate shot at the Stanley Cup! :D :wave:

:wink:

I'm a Wild fan, so we don't see the Penguins often. I did get to see them beat Crosby this year.

I was cheering for my Finns in the Olympics a little.

It's all good with the US and Canada.

IMG_0196.jpg

This was on 21 Feb. by the Sochi 2014 pavilion before the first big hockey game.

The men's curling team (minus Martin) appeared at a mall about an hour from me, yesterday, and I didn't even stalk them. :restraint:

Although to be honest, I'd forgotten that it was yesterday until just after the fact.

Here are a couple of shots from a photographer that I stood next to and talked with for a while at the Whistler Sliding Centre.

Edit_CableJeffBob_Sleigh_2_Man02202.jpg

Copyright 2010 Jeff Cable

Edit_CableJeffBob_Sleigh_2_Man02-1.jpg

Copyright 2010 Jeff Cable

Tough shots to make when the sleds are going almost 100mph/160kph right there.
He said he was taking 6-8000 shots per day, sorting and editing them until 2am each night and then up again at 6am to get the the day's event. Nice guy.

This is awesome.

What If Everybody in Canada Flushed At Once?

flush_game.jpg

The water utility in Edmonton, EPCOR, published the most incredible graph of water consumption last week. By now you’ve probably heard that up to 80% of Canadians were watching last Sunday’s gold medal Olympic hockey game. So I guess it stands to reason that they’d all go pee between periods.

But still—the degree to which the water consumption matches with the key breaks in the hockey game is stunning.

That graph is hilarious and that video is awesome.

I wondered why France's announcers were the most enthusiastic - at 0:59 secs (one even said 'I have tears in my eyes!!' but according to the guy who posted this, there was a Quebecker sitting with them which explains things).

I'm not good at posting pics but here's the link to the U.S. Press Secretary wearing a Team Canada jersey to his press conference yesterday , according to the terms of the bet:
BBC - Mark Mardell's America: Don't bet you shirt on it...

Yahoo sports

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:43 am EDT

Rochette's tribute to her late mother could endanger her career

By Maggie Hendricks

Joannie Rochette, the Canadian figure skater who won bronze in Vancouver just days after her mother's death, is now being pushed around by the International Skating Union (figure skating's international governing body) because she wants to skate a tribute to her mother.

Rochette is scheduled to skate at a made-for-television exhibition, "Thin Ice," performing the routine she did at the Olympic Gala, a skate set to her mother's favorite song.

Unfortunately, this event is not sanctioned by the ISU, and they are flexing their muscles in trying to keep Rochette from skating.

According to Chicago Tribune sources, when the ISU learned Rochette planned to skate the tribute again as part of "Thin Ice,'' an event that does not have the international federation's sanction, it reminded Rochette that both she and Skate Canada would run afoul of ISU rules 102 and 136 if she did the exhibition.

Rule 102 threatens Rochette's individual eligibility as a skater if she perform at a non-sanctioned event, while a violation of 136 could cause the ISU to place sanctions on Canada's figure skating governing body. Skating a tribute to her mother for a television audience could cause both Rochette and her country to be penalized by the ISU.

Isn't there some solution that could allow Rochette to perform the skate for her mother? On Saturday, it looked like there was.

But, according to people familiar with the situation, the ISU has decided to let her do the exhibition with the quid pro quo that she skate at worlds, but Rochette has yet to decide whether she wants to compete at worlds. Were she to skate the exhibition and then withdraw from worlds, the ISU could demand medical evidence to justify the withdrawal.

But today, it was announced that Rochette withdrew from the World Championships.

Now we see what this is really about. She is a great draw. Her performance under terrible conditions was not only inspiring, but a television ratings bonanza. The ISU wants those ratings for themselves.

They have good concern to be worried about ratings for the World Championships. Several Olympic notables, including men's skaters Evan Lysacek, Johnny Weir, and ice dancing pair Oksana Domnina and Maxim Shabalin have opted out of the event.

But playing on a young woman's grief is not the answer to their problems with ratings. There is a large difference between preparing for a one-night exhibition and another world-level competition, and Rochette shouldn't be forced.

The ISU would be wise to show some of the grace and class that Rochette did just a few weeks ago in Vancouver, and allow her to skate when she wants.

Awesome! I wanted to get that book, but it was a little too expensive for my budget.

I did get the 5 DVD set, though. It's good, but frankly I'm a bit disappointed with it. Too much editing of the events, especially the opening & closing ceremonies. I can understand cutting down on the athlete's entrances, but entire segments were completely missing or shortened for those ceremonies. :sad: They did have both gold medal hockey games in their entirety, which was nice. For every other event, they had decent coverage, especially if a Canadian was in the event. But the events where there were no Canadians (esp. some of the longer speed skating events) there was absolutely nothing at all, which really pissed me off. They didn't even show the 10,000m mens final, which was one of the most exciting events of the Olympics, in my humble little opinion.

Anyway, rant over. It's a nice DVD set, and fun to have in my collection.

Oh, so these started again? Sweet. Maybe my girl Lindsey Jacobellis will win the Gold in snowboard cross this time.

I'm sure I posted this before, but iTunes had quite a few events available for download from Vancouver (I think they are still on there). I don't think this was in the U.S. only. A lot of them were just recaps, but I did download the U.S. vs Canada Men's Hockey Game in it's entirety--the first game, the good game. :wink:

The book came with a DVD, so I'm curious to see what's on it as well.

Anyway, at this point, I'm just looking for myself in the crowds. That was a hell of a lot of fun.

I'll see if I get the chance to post a few photos of the book up here.

The World Cup has gotten me excited for international competition again, so it was a nice surprise to get the book. I'm scheming a bit to gauge my wife's interest in trying to go to London in 2012. I could see doing a short trip, maybe a long weekend. London seems expensive anyway, so I don't know how much more the Olympics could inflate that. I thought Vancouver was quite reasonable to visit even with the Olympics, so I think a lot of people are just scared off by the huge prices of the hotels that are close to the events.

Mark, you're better off saving your money for the World Cup 2014 or Summer Olympics 2016, both of which will be in Brazil. Those promise to be a lot of fun, a non-stop party from start to finish, and I'll be trying to go down there for at least one of those events.

Back
Top Bottom