Vancouver Olympics - Part II - ATTENTION: SPOILERS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really enjoyed these Olympic games. I think Vancouver did a wonderful job. Visuals of venues (mainly outdoors) for the games has furthered my interest to visit Vancouver. :applaud: Vancouver :applaud::up:

I heard a commentator quoting an IOC official who said that till now, Sydney had ruled as far as the Olympics had gone, but that he felt Vancouver had surpassed it, and was now the city to beat.

I've never been to Vancouver either, although I have family there. Maybe someday. Shameful, but I've travelled much more extensively in the US than I have in Canada.

I'm sure you would! :kiss: Maybe someday.

The entire games have been such a gorgeous travelogue for the city/province. :heart:

It really has. I've never been more proud to be a Canadian, and a Vancouverite. :love: I'm so impressed with the organization of everything, and how smoothly things have run. We did a damn good job, I think. :)

I heard a commentator quoting an IOC official who said that till now, Sydney had ruled as far as the Olympics had gone, but that he felt Vancouver had surpassed it, and was now the city to beat.

I've never been to Vancouver either, although I have family there. Maybe someday. Shameful, but I've travelled much more extensively in the US than I have in Canada.

It is sad that Toronto is the only Canadian city I have visited and it was for a short visit. And my first time up there was not that long ago. Vancouver has been on my list of places to visit since 1994 :tsk: . Montreal is also on my list.

Also if the airfare from the US to Canada wasn't so damn expensive, it might make it easier for me to visit! :wink:

It really has. I've never been more proud to be a Canadian, and a Vancouverite. :love: I'm so impressed with the organization of everything, and how smoothly things have run. We did a damn good job, I think. :)

So thrilled for you guys. :heart: You've done us proud!!

It is sad that Toronto is the only Canadian city I have visited and it was for a short visit. And my first time up there was not that long ago. Vancouver has been on my list of places to visit since 1994 :tsk: . Montreal is also on my list.

Also if the airfare from the US to Canada wasn't so damn expensive, it might make it easier for me to visit! :wink:

You're in...Atlanta?? If you fly into a border town, like Buffalo or Detroit, it's generally cheaper. :up: That's what a lot of my friends coming into the country from the US have done.

And, as Gord Downie says " said didn't give a fuck about hockey"

:lol:

:hyper: :love:

What a fucking way to end this. :D

You forgot the followup line to 'I said I didn't give a fuck about hockey' : 'I never saw someone say that before!!'

Leave it to a hockey fan to think you meant 'Sydney Crosby' :lol:

So thrilled for you guys. :heart: You've done us proud!!

You're in...Atlanta?? If you fly into a border town, like Buffalo or Detroit, it's generally cheaper. :up: That's what a lot of my friends coming into the country from the US have done.

That is what I plan on doing in July for the gig up there. I will fly into Buffalo and hop on a bus.

You forgot the followup line to 'I said I didn't give a fuck about hockey' : 'I never saw someone say that before!!'

Leave it to a hockey fan to think you meant 'Sydney Crosby' :lol:

I seriously don't pay attention to hockey at all, with the exception of the Olympics, and world tournments! I'm more a baseball fan, and I haven't even paid that much attention to that since they ruined my team. But every 4 years? I get nuts. :lol:

I think we're all hockey fans today, though.

Is Nickelback a confirmed act at the closing ceremonies? Was Bryan Adams not available?

OMG, they just showed a shot of Yonge Street, it's PACKED and closed down!!

How the hell do you manage to pronounce this "Young"? Of all the things I hate about Toronto...this is probably the only one.

Obama loses boozy bet with Harper

Barack Obama will have to shell out $45.40 for a case of 24 Molson Canadian, after losing a bet to Stephen Harper.
The U.S. President can blame Sidney Crosby, who scored the winning goal in overtime to win the Olympic gold medal in men's hockey.
In American dollars, that would be about $43.20.
Mr. Harper and Mr. Obama laid it on the line for Sunday's epic match. This being hockey, beer was was involved.
If the U.S. men’s hockey team had won, Mr. Harper would have had to purchase a case of Yuengling for his U.S. counterpart. Yuengling, based in Pennsylvania, is the oldest brewery in the United States.
The leaders' wager follows a bet between White House spokesman Robert Gibbs and the Prime Minister’s spokesman, Dimitri Soudas. They bet on the outcome of the women’s gold-medal hockey game.
The Canadians prevailed, and Mr. Gibbs must wear a Team Canada jersey at his next press gaggle.

1. that was a great game. and it was kind of a perfect outcome, at least poetically. it means so much to Canada, so a part of me is glad they won, but i'm glad we made you sweat it out.

2. why Nickleback when you guys have given Neko Case, K.D. Lange (supersized) and Tegan & Sarah?

Obama loses boozy bet with Harper

Barack Obama will have to shell out $45.40 for a case of 24 Molson Canadian, after losing a bet to Stephen Harper.
The U.S. President can blame Sidney Crosby, who scored the winning goal in overtime to win the Olympic gold medal in men's hockey.
In American dollars, that would be about $43.20.
Mr. Harper and Mr. Obama laid it on the line for Sunday's epic match. This being hockey, beer was was involved.
If the U.S. men’s hockey team had won, Mr. Harper would have had to purchase a case of Yuengling for his U.S. counterpart. Yuengling, based in Pennsylvania, is the oldest brewery in the United States.
The leaders' wager follows a bet between White House spokesman Robert Gibbs and the Prime Minister’s spokesman, Dimitri Soudas. They bet on the outcome of the women’s gold-medal hockey game.
The Canadians prevailed, and Mr. Gibbs must wear a Team Canada jersey at his next press gaggle.
:lol: Awesome! Actually, I saw an interview with Harper last night, and he seemed more real and...human, than I'd ever seen him. Or maybe it was just the outpouring of patriotism talking. :wink:

1. that was a great game. and it was kind of a perfect outcome, at least poetically. it means so much to Canada, so a part of me is glad they won, but i'm glad we made you sweat it out.

2. why Nickleback when you guys have given Neko Case, K.D. Lange (supersized) and Tegan & Sarah?

ARCADE FIRE!

Actually, last night, I had the tv muted and was messing around on the computer, I happened to look up when they were showing a band performing, and I was all "I know that face!" It was a musician I'd met years ago, playing with Burton Cummings. Very cool. :)

At least Neil Young will be making an appearance. Some musical redemption there.

Just saw an amazingly beautiful video essay done by someone from the Globe and Mail. Holy shit was it ever beautiful. I totally lost it. :love: I hope it's on the commemorative DVD that I've ordered.

Irvine, you're the only person I've ever encountered here (that I can remember) who knows of Tegan & Sara. They're awesome. :love:

Crossing my fingers that Nickelback isn't at the cermonies. :yuck:

Back
Top Bottom