Tiger Woods injured in car crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1238157980scannersheade.gif

fixed

BAH!

It was just a Scanners head exploding gif :(

And even though I find the spoofs to be pretty awesome, I think the original commercial is great. Its ballsy, simple yet powerful, and its refreshing to see a company take a chance with their advertising in a time when so many are playing it painfully safe

And even though I find the spoofs to be pretty awesome, I think the original commercial is great. Its ballsy, simple yet powerful, and its refreshing to see a company take a chance with their advertising in a time when so many are playing it painfully safe

I find it...bizarre. Seeing him looking so forlornly into the camera while his dead father speaks (his dead father? Really??) makes me a strange combination of eye-rolly, gaggy, and stabby. It also makes me feel like Nike must think the public are chumps who could buy this emotionally manipulative shit. I think most people are WAY too cynical for that.

Yeah, this ad is just .... weird on so many levels.

Then the Masters head dude basically scolding him in a statement yesterday. Oh noez, Tiger! How dare you fall off of the pedestal we put you on???!!! SHAAAAAME!

I'm finally on board the "Holy shit, stop crucifying Tiger Woods" train.

The guy has to lie in the bed he made, but jesus christ, it's gotten all weird and ridiculous. (Not that it wasn't ridiculous before.)

Yeah. I think I made it clear early in the thread that I really don't care who he has sex with (though I sort of do understand the public's fascination with the train-wreckiness aspect of it), but geez, how could anyone possibly think this commercial will help? I'm baffled.

It also makes me feel like Nike must think the public are chumps who could buy this emotionally manipulative shit.

Advertising is all about being emotionally manipulative. Whether or not it works all depends on the individual, but I applaud Nike for taking a huge chance.

My problem with it is that to me, its sole purpose seems to be about humiliating him.

I'm guessing Tiger was involved with it, right? As he's still in cahoots with Nike? I guess knowing Tiger was on board with the idea makes it go down easier, but jeez, Nike. Way to take his beloved dead father and have him scold his son from beyond the grave in a commercial.

I'm sure Tiger was closely involved with it (At least, I assume he was). But its the humility that makes it so good. I think it took a lot of sucking it up on Tigers part to agree to it. His father and banging mistresses; probably the two touchiest subjects for him in the past couple years. I'd love to hear the conversation when the agency brought up the concept to him

Also, I dont really see it as being judgmental on Nike's part. The words they chose from his father never condemn him for what he did, he's just asking him how he feels and what hes leaned. It almost seems like they're saying its over with, learn from your mistake and lets move on. Its sort of nice to see them stand by him. Everyone fucks up every once in a while.

And the framing is really beautiful too

Advertising is all about being emotionally manipulative. Whether or not it works all depends on the individual, but I applaud Nike for taking a huge chance.

I know, but this goes a little beyond the usual "drink coffee from Tim Horton's and you'll have memories to cherish forever," or "eat at Swiss Chalet and improve your relationship with your estranged child" crap we're generally subjected to. Makes them (both Nike and Tiger) look foolish and desperate and cloying. The only thing missing is a single tear falling down his cheek.

I'm sure Tiger was closely involved with it (At least, I assume he was). But its the humility that makes it so good. I think it took a lot of sucking it up on Tigers part to agree to it. His father and banging mistresses; probably the two touchiest subjects for him in the past couple years. I'd love to hear the conversation when the agency brought up the concept to him

I doubt Tiger allows anything with his image out there without his approval. And, like I said earlier in this thread, I don't think he owes the public an apology, and it shouldn't be expected of him, and for him (and Nike) to stoop to this when we all know he'd still be out chasing tail if he hadn't been caught in the first place just seems so...ridiculous. It screams to me "oh look, there's Cheaty McCheaterson faking a sad and contrite expression to try to repair his public image, to make his sponsors happy." It's undignified. He should have refused to discuss it further, and just gone on with his life.

I wonder what demographic this is going after. There aren't many I can imagine this playing well to.

I know, but this goes a little beyond the usual "drink coffee from Tim Horton's and you'll have memories to cherish forever," or "eat at Swiss Chalet and improve your relationship with your estranged child" crap we're generally subjected to.

And therein lies the beauty of it. I dont want to see the same old shit that we're used to. Take a chance. Too many ads are far to conservative these days. Its boring

when we all know he'd still be out chasing tail if he hadn't been caught in the first place

Thats just human nature though. Most of the time it either takes getting caught or someone pointing out how wrong you are before you realize it yourself. No doubt Tiger saw the commercial as an opportunity to mend his image, but he's still really putting himself out there in the process.
I'm not trying to convince anyone to like it, its just refreshing in a sea of typical whitebread advertising

Yeah, I get what you're saying, and I would generally agree - bold and different in advertising is refreshing, and is usually a good thing. I'm just not sure this is going to be effective, in this situation. When someone like me, who had little to no interest in this story (although the discussion it generated here earlier was somewhat interesting) had the sort of reaction to it that I did, I'm not sure how it's going to play to people who really do care.

Then the Masters head dude basically scolding him in a statement yesterday. Oh noez, Tiger! How dare you fall off of the pedestal we put you on???!!! SHAAAAAME!

That really ticked me off. Who the hell does Billy Payne think he is? Talk about your golf tournament, not the personal life of one of its participants you sanctimonious prick. I hope we get TMZ unearthing photos of Payne getting banged by Rush Limbaugh or something.

Earl- Son, next time you cheat on your wife, keep it on the downlow like I did. Try to keep it simple and only bang one broad at the same time, not a handful at a time like you're doing. And for Christ's Sake, stay away from those low rent bitches. They'll really get you in trouble. Remember, they've got nothing to lose.

Tiger- But, Dad, I'm a sex addict!

Earl- Good one, son! Glad I never had to use that one. Your Mama didn't give a shit who I was bangin. I wasn't making 100 Million a year from Nike like you.

Tiger- Thanks for the advice, Dad!

This new Tiger Nike ad is a complete load of horseshit! Glad I've been wearing Adidas for 10 years. Fuck Nike!

I'm still baffled by the whole thing. What is Nike trying to do? Is Tiger's Image the product they are selling? Tiger's Shame? Just do it!

They're just trying to get people talking and using the name Nike as much as possible

Back
Top Bottom