Tiger Woods injured in car crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It doesn't help the public perception of the whole thing, though. Stonewalling the police, whether it is legal or not, does not put one in a good light and makes it look like he is hiding something, whether it is true or not.

phanan's right here i think. whether or not he spoke to police is irrelevant, it doesn't make him look in good in the public eye. because what can you think but "oh, he's refusing to talk to police. surely he would if nothing sinister happened. he must be hiding something."

News casters made a good point. The longer he waits to say anything the more speculation that will evolve. Yes, his personal business is his own business, but when you're a public figure and an 'icon' like that the public believes it has a right to some sort of explanation.

Frankly, the news casters/media are the ones who caused the entire argument in the first place! I know you're just repeating what they said, but the public believing that they have a right to an explanation is outright absurd. So now because he's famous he gets less rights to remaining silent and/or privacy than the general public? He is now potentially part of a criminal investigation, so he really shouldn't say anything more. He did give a statement. He said the incident was his fault, and in technicality he's 100% correct, because he is the one who ran out of the house and into a tree. Unless we are about to make some sort of argument that she would have clubbed him to death had he not left, he is responsible for his own actions in a court of law.

phanan's right here i think. whether or not he spoke to police is irrelevant, it doesn't make him look in good in the public eye. because what can you think but "oh, he's refusing to talk to police. surely he would if nothing sinister happened. he must be hiding something."

Well that's what immature people who take what the media gives them like it's the gospel might think, sure. Honestly this incident is revealing alot about people's perceptions of the law and the police. Sometimes the police are not your friend, and it's not necessarily because something sinister has happened. And sometimes even if something sinister has happened, they are not perfect and they can go too far or in the wrong direction or they misinterpret what you say in your 'interview'. That's why the constitution affords you the right to remain silent and only be questioned in the presence of counsel, because it's the fair thing, not because you are necessarily a criminal.

What can I think? I can think that maybe something did go down, sure, but even then the only thing I can think is that he's doing the right thing by exercising his right to protect his family. What sane man wants the mother of his children - by any other account a good woman - to undergo the investigation, media scrutiny, and all the fallout...for that kind of minor incident? Maybe he'll end up being sorry for this decision when she hires a hit man or some shit, but I'd like to think that he knows her better than anyone and when he should call it a day with her if it came to that.

EDIT: Maybe it looks like I care too much about this. It's not from any special love for Tiger, it's just that I've always been bugged by the notion that we somehow have a 'right' to know all about what celebrities do. What part of this situation do we really have a 'right' to know about? He has stated that the accident was his fault and that the rumours were completely untrue. So what more do we have a right to know? Whether or not they argued and what about? Whether or not she bitch slapped him? Whether or not he would have hit her had he stayed, so he left to cool off? Whether or not she broke his window before or after he hit the tree? How is it his responsibility to satisfy this 'right to know' about those details when those details in themselves have nothing to do with his relationship with his fans, his game or even more remotely, his sponsors? Then he's not really the one who should be viewed with suspicion for not saying anything, is he? Or is it more accurately: Did you sleep with her? Did you have a drink with her at a club? THAT is what the 'public' wants to know, and by trying to turn it into a domestic assault case that needs explaining, the police are pandering to the pressure of the gossip media. That's likely why the cooler heads at his sponsors aren't dropping him - because outside being drunk or high or speeding, there's nothing inherently evil or publicly damning about having a minor car accident for him. :shrug:

whether or not he spoke to police is irrelevant, it doesn't make him look in good in the public eye. because what can you think but "oh, he's refusing to talk to police. surely he would if nothing sinister happened. he must be hiding something."

He's not a politician running for office though, and therefore doesn't care much about the "public eye". He is own boss, and doesn't have to answer to anyone really. His strategy is a success as long as his sponsors stand by him and he continues to make $100m a year from them.

He's not a politician running for office though, and therefore doesn't care much about the "public eye". He is own boss, and doesn't have to answer to anyone really. His strategy is a success as long as his sponsors stand by him and he continues to make $100m a year from them.

not that i honestly give a flying rat's fanny about what tiger woods did or didn't do, nor who he is or isn't schtooping...

but there's a rather large contradiction in your statement... where as he doesn't care about the "public eye," only cares about his "sponsors."

without the public eye, there are no sponsors.

tiger woods' entire life has been scripted and his image highly protected. to all of a sudden say he doesn't care about what the public thinks is just a silly thing to say.

YouTube - Monty Python-Camelot Song

i heard that the police report stated "Mr. Wood's vehicle was found about 15 feet off the fairway". was that really necessary?

but the public believing that they have a right to an explanation is outright absurd.
It's not that the public has a right to an explanation, it's that it's laughable for Woods to get angry about all the speculation and then refuse to talk to the police. It makes the speculation look truer; it looks like he's covering up for his wife.

It's not that the public has a right to an explanation, it's that it's laughable for Woods to get angry about all the speculation and then refuse to talk to the police. It makes the speculation look truer; it looks like he's covering up for his wife.

i agree, but it might turn in Tiger's favor. if the Highway Patrol is unable to obtain a warrant, and Tiger and his team remain silent, the story will fade. it may fade slowly, but it will happen. i actually think the Tiger team is playing it well.

but there's a rather large contradiction in your statement... where as he doesn't care about the "public eye," only cares about his "sponsors."

without the public eye, there are no sponsors.

tiger woods' entire life has been scripted and his image highly protected. to all of a sudden say he doesn't care about what the public thinks is just a silly thing to say.

I meant more along the lines of he's not one to bow to public(or media) pressure to give more details of the incident, or to cater to the Hollywood-gossip crowd. Most of the people interested in the details of the story aren't influenced by his endorsements anyway. The ones who do buy the sponsors' goods seem mostly supportive of his decision as comments on various golf sites indicate. In general, he errs on the side of protecting privacy more often than not.

From a thegolfchannel.com poll:

"Does Tiger Woods owe it to the public to explain firsthand the circumstances surrounding his accident?
Yes, he's a public figure
33%
No, it's a private matter
67%"

i agree, but it might turn in Tiger's favor. if the Highway Patrol is unable to obtain a warrant, and Tiger and his team remain silent, the story will fade. it may fade slowly, but it will happen. i actually think the Tiger team is playing it well.

This.

I just read this on another site and I think it's true: Tiger's got the image he does now because he has the best PR people in the business and because he's handled his career and image in the same manner that he is handling this incident. He's going to maintain his right to privacy while the talking heads rant and rave about how they 'deserve' an explanation of the circumstances surrounding his crash. There will be uncomfortable questions about the incident that will hound him during the next golf season that he will tactfully not answer. He'll go on being one of the most dominant athletes in the world and people will get tired of the story (see Bryant, Kobe or Roethlisberger, Ben).

Other than that there isn't anything that he needs to answer to. He's under not obligation to speak with the Flordia police. He's under no obligation to speak to the media or his fans. The only people that he might have to answer to is his sponsors, but I'm sure most of them will let this blow over.

But the majority of the speculation is rooted in and surrounding him allegedly having an affair. What interest do the police have in that? Because even if they can get some medical expert to testify that there is a possibility that some of his facial injuries couldn't have been caused by the crash, the crash itself not only presents reasonable doubt, it presents plausible explanation for the injuries, because some other medical expert will testify that he/she believes that the facial injuries are consistent with striking the steering wheel/dash/flying cell phone/whatever. Case is dead in the water.

So then what, his image is marred because he refuses to be their sole piece of real evidence and be a witness against his own wife (spousal privilege?) for allegedly slapping him and/or busting out his Escalade window? Cmon! No way, he comes off golden, empathetic to his wife, and never has to answer to any queries about an affair more than he already has - which is to accept full blame for his accident, and deny rumors including the affair. He's making the right move.

Oh, that's exactly how it's going to go. In the end, all this will be is an Internet punch line you'll see every time a Major comes up again, and that'll be that.

Tiger is smaht. He can do things. Not like everyone says, like dumb.

BTW - I don't follow the logic of those who believe that Tiger should talk to the police. What does he gain by doing so? By telling "his side of the story", he's got to either talk about what a terrible driver he is or he's got to air the inner workings of his marriage (if you subscribe to the idea that those are the two most likely scenarios). If he does that he gives people concrete facts to use as ammunition against him. Right now all they have is speculation.

He's going to have to go through the media scrutiny one way or the other. Why not freeze them out and maintain control of the story that way.

But the majority of the speculation is rooted in and surrounding him allegedly having an affair. What interest do the police have in that? Because even if they can get some medical expert to testify that there is a possibility that some of his facial injuries couldn't have been caused by the crash, the crash itself not only presents reasonable doubt, it presents plausible explanation for the injuries, because some other medical expert will testify that he/she believes that the facial injuries are consistent with striking the steering wheel/dash/flying cell phone/whatever. Case is dead in the water.

So then what, his image is marred because he refuses to be their sole piece of real evidence and be a witness against his own wife (spousal privilege?) for allegedly slapping him and/or busting out his Escalade window? Cmon! No way, he comes off golden, empathetic to his wife, and never has to answer to any queries about an affair more than he already has - which is to accept full blame for his accident, and deny rumors including the affair. He's making the right move.

It's only the right move if he's lying. That's my only point here. I'm not saying he's not coming out golden on this. He will.

Tiger is smaht. He can do things. Not like everyone says, like dumb.

fredo.jpg

not that is matters a whole lot

but this whole thing is looking like a cover up - set up.

did Tiger even drive the car?
why did his wife ask the neighbor to call 911?
could the auto collision have been set up to explain his injuries?

the injuries don't add up with the collision.
why was he in and out of consciousness?
was he on some heavy sleeping aid or something else?

the wife has made conflicting statements.

^ :lol: Oh wow, that's pretty rich.

BTW - I don't follow the logic of those who believe that Tiger should talk to the police. What does he gain by doing so? By telling "his side of the story", he's got to either talk about what a terrible driver he is or he's got to air the inner workings of his marriage (if you subscribe to the idea that those are the two most likely scenarios). If he does that he gives people concrete facts to use as ammunition against him. Right now all they have is speculation.

Is there a solar eclipse with the sky turning black out there or something? The day we two agree on something is a scary one indeed. :wink:

YouTube - Mary Astor slaps Clark Gable in the face

The good old days :lol:

Neighbor's lawyer is now on the record saying that his clients didn't look beaten or intoxicated and "the other woman" has come out and denied an affair.

With the possible exception of the police obtaining a warrant for Tiger's medical records, this case just lost all of it's fuel.

Neighbor's lawyer is now on the record saying that his clients didn't look beaten or intoxicated and "the other woman" has come out and denied an affair.

With the possible exception of the police obtaining a warrant for Tiger's medical records, this case just lost all of it's fuel.

Yeah, not quite - US Weekly's cover story - coming out tomorrow I believe - will feature a Las Vegas waitress who claims to have had a 31 month affair with him. Who knows if it's true or not but the magazine is stating they have texts, voicemails, etc to back up their claims :shrug:

this, along with the theirry henry handball and roger federer losing is making me reconsider using gillette.

:lol::lol:

anyone else just slightly already sick of that oaf woman's press conference? it's been on the radio all bloody day.

"this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation" "this citation"

Maybe the police should question him about it. :rolleyes: Dalton was right, the case is dead. The US Weekly story won't change that.

Whatever, I dunno, for all we know he could very well be hard partier who does lines off of high class hookers, I mean, "VIP Hostesses" thighs. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :lol:

Anyone else have a cell phone? I do, in fact, it was made for text messages specifically. It holds a maximum of 100 text messages. I'd have to do some fanagaling like hook it up to my computer and export them or something to save 300 text messages dating back 2 years. Maybe more expensive phones save more messages, but it really kindof begs the question why she was saving them all in the first place...did she have plans to out him from the get-go?

Emails and phone messages, of course, are a bit harder to explain away. Crazy. And more women...Tiger? Not saying he's not capable..but I just can't see him being so indiscreet, so stupid! But, it could be true I guess.

Anyone else have a cell phone? I do, in fact, it was made for text messages specifically. It holds a maximum of 100 text messages. I'd have to do some fanagaling like hook it up to my computer and export them or something to save 300 text messages dating back 2 years. Maybe more expensive phones save more messages, but it really kindof begs the question why she was saving them all in the first place...did she have plans to out him from the get-go?

Well, just for shits and giggles I just checked my phone, I currently have 188 messages on there. Not that I save them, I just don't delete them when I read or send them. My phone is nothing fancy, so in summary:

A. Its certainly very likely that her phone can hold 300 messages, maybe that technology just hasn't made its way to Canada yet :wink:.

2. She may or may not have saved them with intent, she may be lazy like me and just never deleted them.

Let's not forget where the Blackberry is from, mkay?

;)

Nah, I get ya. I was just totally thinking how if she got that many from a married man she was seeing in private, extrapolate that into how many others she would have gotten from her friends, family and other men over 2+ years...that's thousands...if she really does have 300 messages from him, I think it's safe to say she deliberately kept them rather than lazily failed to delete them.. :shrug:

i wonder if Linda Tripp is behind these new allegations.

either way, this is good news. when the case was closed yesterday, i just felt so bad for the media and i thought that they might actually miss out on the chance of ruining Tiger's image.

Back
Top Bottom