The Official NHL 2008-2009 Offseason Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:sad: Why did we buy avery ? A old fashion hockey player :sigh:

Sportsnet.ca
(Source: Avery leaves Broadway to become a Star - Sportsnet.ca )

Sportsnet has learned Sean Avery has shifted his disturber role to the Dallas Stars, signing a $16-million, 4-year deal.

Avery earned $1.9 million with the New York Rangers this past season in which he had 15 goals and 18 assists in 57 games. His season was cut short when he suffered a lacerated spleen in the team's playoff series loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Avery's greatest achievement this past season, however, was the institution of an NHL rule named in his honour. During the Rangers' first-round playoff series against the New Jersey Devils, Avery positioned himself facing Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur and waved his arm and stick to both screen and distract him. Though not against the rules, the NHL quickly instituted a rule amendment making the action illegal, a rule which quickly became known as the "Avery Rule."

Avery has created a role of disturber on the ice, but has been able to back it up with some offensive skills. This past season, the Rangers were 33-14-10 with Avery in the lineup and 9-13-3 without him.

Originally undrafted, Avery was signed by the Detroit Red Wings in 1999 and was traded to Los Angeles four years later. He was then traded to New York in February 2007.

I wonder why the Rangers didn't re-sign him - I thought they liked him out there.
I know he was popular with the fans.
So glad he's no longer in the East :yuck:

Huet to Chicago and Theodore to Washington! I'm surprised Huet wasn't re-signed with the Caps - didn't he go something like 10 games before losing?

I wonder why the Rangers didn't re-sign him - I thought they liked him out there.
I know he was popular with the fans.
So glad he's no longer in the East :yuck:

You can say that again. :up: I think he'll go down as the first spleen-injured player I felt absolutely no empathy for.

What a wacky day in the NHL: Sundin is still considering a $20 million deal, while Marian Hossa turned down a huge offer from Edmonton and Pittsburgh for a one-year deal with the Red Wings.

...and Michael Ryder is now a Bruin. I have a feeling he'll be haunting the Habs, unfortunately.

The Hossa thing is easy to understand...he's Cup hunting. Good for him.

IMO the Caps took a step back replacing Huet with Theodore. Huet looked good for them and seemed like a guy they could build a winner in front of...Theodore is just an average goaltender and not championship calibre. Bad day for the Caps.

IMO the Caps took a step back replacing Huet with Theodore. Huet looked good for them and seemed like a guy they could build a winner in front of...Theodore is just an average goaltender and not championship calibre. Bad day for the Caps.

I absolutely agree :up:

And the Habs signed Laracque - finally we got some toughness!

What the Habs need is a real punisher on the blueline. Laraque up front is a start but if they could somehow add a real rock on D (think Scott Stevens in his prime) that would put them in a very nice position. I don't think there's a guy like that available though.

What the Habs need is a real punisher on the blueline. Laraque up front is a start but if they could somehow add a real rock on D (think Scott Stevens in his prime) that would put them in a very nice position. I don't think there's a guy like that available though.

I think they have that—or at least someone that will grow into that role. His name is Mike Komisarek, future captain of the Canadiens.

CTU2fan, what did you think of the Umberger deal?

I think they have that—or at least someone that will grow into that role. His name is Mike Komisarek, future captain of the Canadiens.

CTU2fan, what did you think of the Umberger deal?

Komisarek looks like he might be a good one, he totally slipped my mind. You want defensemen who are "uncomfortable" shall we say to play against, and Mike appears to be one of those.

As for Umberger, I didn't love the move. He's not a great player by any means and I think a lot of his playoff goals were more fortunate than skill, but you need guys like that who can give you some bonus offense from someplace other than your top lines. I assume they plan to work in some more youth on the 3rd & 4th lines with the RJ trade and Kapanen's retirement. Of course if Sbisa turns out to be a quality defenseman that changes things; they clearly needed to upgrade the D.

Odd choice for Emery...I always liked his fire. That's uncommon over there though, not sure how that will work out.

So management is giving Leafs fans the Finger? Nothing new there...

The Islanders have fired Coach Ted Nolan. No replacement has been named. I liked Nolan. Hopefully, he'll get a chance somewhere else.

Yes both sides cited "philosophical differences" apparently, which is nothing new for Nolan. He's a good guy though...and as an aside how long has Garth Snow been the Isles' GM, because I'm so out of it apparently, I thought he was still playing.

Sounds good, but when will people stop calling it a "once-in-a-lifetime" event?

NHL awards Winter Classic to Chicago
TSN.ca Staff

The NHL has awarded the 2009 Winter Classic to the Chicago Blackhawks, who will play host to the Detroit Red Wings on January 1, 2009 at Wrigley Field.

Wrigley Field was chosen over early favourite Yankee Stadium.

"We expect interest to be on an international level for this once-in-a-lifetime event," Blackhawks chairman Rocky Wirtz said.
Last season's Winter Classic between the Penguins and Sabres on January 1st drew an NHL record 71, 217 fans to Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo.

"The NHL is delighted to bring its most historic rivalry to one of the most historic venues in sports," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman stated.

The meeting between the two clubs will be the 701st all time. No NHL opponents has played more regular season games against each other.

The Red Wings are also looking forward to being a part of history, even if they are not the hosts.

"We've been a candidate to play in this for a long time and everybody in our organization is excited about being a part of what is becoming an annual outdoor classic," Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said.

"It's a tremendous opportunity to promote our game, our league and our team and have a once-in-a-lifetime experience at the same time."

The Islanders have fired Coach Ted Nolan. No replacement has been named. I liked Nolan. Hopefully, he'll get a chance somewhere else.

The Islanders just announced Nolan's replacement. Scott Gordon, former AHL Coach of the Year, has been named as his successor. This is his first NHL coaching gig.

Maybe they'll get right this time.

The Islanders just announced Nolan's replacement. Scott Gordon, former AHL Coach of the Year, has been named as his successor. This is his first NHL coaching gig.

Maybe they'll get right this time.

did they sign him to a 15 yr contract?

Come on, he's not a goalie.

I remember when I used to be proud to root for the Isles. That was looooong ago.

Bossy. :(

NSW, do you agree that sports is cyclical by nature? Don't fret, the Isles will have their day in the sun in future, as will most teams (except for those perennial losers, the Maple Leafs) who are currently experiencing some trying times.

Take the Blackhawks for one. I predict good things for them soon, although they will never be as good as the Wolves. :wink:

NSW, do you agree that sports is cyclical by nature? Don't fret, the Isles will have their day in the sun in future, as will most teams (except for those perennial losers, the Maple Leafs) who are currently experiencing some trying times.

Take the Blackhawks for one. I predict good things for them soon, although they will never be as good as the Wolves. :wink:

Most things are cyclical, but, how long do the cycles last? The Isles are in a very long shit cycle. When does it end? When Wang fucks off.

Blackhawks seemed poised to at least make the playoffs next season, but, yeah, comparing them to the Wolves is so-o stupid, :hmm:

Good for you. Quite a year for you sports-wise, eh? Final Yankees homestand at Yankee Stadium, All-Star game, and outdoor hockey game at Wrigley.

If I manage to score tickets to the Hockey game, yes....and, if the Cubs or Sox make the playoffs, I should be able to attend a game or two......but the Yankee Stadium stuff blows the other stuff out of the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom