The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hodge better at least make the touring party or I'll struggle to support Australia properly. Hopefully Clarke or Katich will lose form so Hodgey can get back in the side. Hussey has been quite ordinary for a while now. Drop him and give Hodge a test or two.
You're nothing if not optimistic :lol:

Dont underestimate Onions, you Aussies are dicing with trouble

And Ravi Bopara is the new Ian Bell....(few good scores, gets lucky, cocky, really he is shit)
I have to show some bravado here as realistically england are a steaming pile of pooh
If they somehow perform a miracle and win, they wont win a test until 2013 as they will still be celebrating (just like in bewteen 2005-2009)

My Ashes prediction - Eng 1 Aus 3

New bowlers often succeed against us... but then we work them out and they can't buy a wicket in the next test.

I also completely retract any concerns/complaints/blahblahblah/etc I had about Hughes

I will say one thing about Graham Onions. I play first grade cricket in Newcastle. Graham Onions came out a tthe end of last season as a star signing for a club side in the Newcastle competition, Stockton. (Bearing in mind Newcastle first grade is about Sydney 3rd grade equivalent, from there you go, 2nd, 1st, then into NSW City/Country teams, then NSW 2nd XI, then the NSW 1st class side) So Newcastle first grade is approx 7 steps removed from 1st class cricket. Onions was awful and he got pumped in his 2 games games straight. including 0/60 against a mid-table Merewether side.

If he can't get Newcastle first graders out, how will he go against Australian Test bats...?

Siddle could be the destroyer. Mitch Johnson can't do it alone. If Siddle fires, Aussies should romp it home, cause of two gun pacemen.

I'd like to see McGain tour cause he's a Vic, but Aussies only viable spin options are to bring Warnie or MacGill out of retirement, otherwise play four quicks. North is a good enough part-time spinner and hes originally from Melbs anyway, so he's cool.

Hodge better at least make the touring party or I'll struggle to support Australia properly. Hopefully Clarke or Katich will lose form so Hodgey can get back in the side. Hussey has been quite ordinary for a while now. Drop him and give Hodge a test or two.

Siddle is great, but typical one-eyed Victorianism. You ignore the one guy left who has 300 test wickets, and the guy with the lowest bowling average in Brett Lee and Stuart Clark. He will be prong 4 in the 4 prong pace attack.

North should definately play. He probably isn't as viable an option as Katich simply beacuse the poms play finger spin well. Unfortunately, the selectors chased away the only decent wristie in the country, and the other one needs a walker to get into the middle. When he does he gets murdered anyway.

I can't read the bit about Hodge and not laugh. Sorry ddue, but he's just not that good. Any other era of Australian cricket, he would have held down the 6 spot any time before about 94. But you honestly can't argue that he is next in line after Mike Hussey anyway. If the choice was Hodge or David hussey in the one day side, no question it is Hodge. But the one-day side is fucked sideways anyway.

Jaques or Symonds will get a run before Hodge

Thing about Lee, I'd want him to get back to full strength but his form before his injury was questionable. With his bowlong style and the pressue it puts on his body, he might be in decline, seemingly prematurely. A shame, but there is a hige question mark as to whether he is capable of having the same impact in a test match. Clark's deserves his spot, but I don't like him, so I don't want him in the team. :wink:

One Day Cricket is irrelevant today (take that recent tournament against Pakistan in Dubai - pointless exercise) and will be scarcely played in a decade's time. Dunno how you can say Hodge was good enough in previous eras (ie. Ashes '05) when he is still as brilliant as he has been all decade, and now with retirements to guns like Langer and co, and form questionable for players like Hussey, it is ridiculous to suggest that Hodge isn't a viable and reliable option to enter the Australian batting order. He might not have the flash of a Gilly or a Punter, or the "long-term" prospect that is selector's love-child Clarke, but he will stack on the runs, rest assured.

I like Jacques, but he is only proven as an opener and will only get a look in if Hughes or Katich lose form or get injured, which is certainly possible. Hughes has flashed in the pan quite spectacularly, but there's just as much chance he'll go through a rough patch. So many younger do after they've debuted (Ponting, Hayden, Clarke, Langer, Martyn).

SymondS has fallen out of favour and probably won't be given much consideration by selectors anymore. Which is cool, I'm over him, he's never been a reliable test contributor.

Thing about Lee, I'd want him to get back to full strength but his form before his injury was questionable. With his bowlong style and the pressue it puts on his body, he might be in decline, seemingly prematurely. A shame, but there is a hige question mark as to whether he is capable of having the same impact in a test match. Clark's deserves his spot, but I don't like him, so I don't want him in the team. :wink:

One Day Cricket is irrelevant today (take that recent tournament against Pakistan in Dubai - pointless exercise) and will be scarcely played in a decade's time. Dunno how you can say Hodge was good enough in previous eras (ie. Ashes '05) when he is still as brilliant as he has been all decade, and now with retirements to guns like Langer and co, and form questionable for players like Hussey, it is ridiculous to suggest that Hodge isn't a viable and reliable option to enter the Australian batting order. He might not have the flash of a Gilly or a Punter, or the "long-term" prospect that is selector's love-child Clarke, but he will stack on the runs, rest assured.

I like Jacques, but he is only proven as an opener and will only get a look in if Hughes or Katich lose form or get injured, which is certainly possible. Hughes has flashed in the pan quite spectacularly, but there's just as much chance he'll go through a rough patch. So many younger do after they've debuted (Ponting, Hayden, Clarke, Langer, Martyn).

SymondS has fallen out of favour and probably won't be given much consideration by selectors anymore. Which is cool, I'm over him, he's never been a reliable test contributor.

Hughes is still younger than any of those guys were. He also has had a much greater effect at test and first-class level. How you can call a guy that is still closer to 20 than 21 that has scored 100's in each of his first three county matches, Youngest ever to score 2 hundreds in a test, in only his second test, a flash in the pan is beyond me. He will obviously go through rough patches, but to even hint at suggesting Hodge should replace him is laughable.

Hodge's problem isn't flash either. He simply isn't as good, reliable, consistant or ruthless as Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Hayden, Langer, Hughes etc. It's as clear as day that he simply isn't as good an option as any of those guys were.

Jaques will play before Hodge, because If they needed another bat, and Jaques was in form (scored a 100 in his last test innings btw), Katich would bat 4. He isn't an opener, he just grabbed the opportunity he deserved to recieve.

The guy is a very talented bat. But he is this era's Darren lehman. Has a huge cult following that think he is capable of much more than he is. Tears State attacks to shreds, but that is where his talent peaks. He had one big test innings. But he only averages 40 in his 7 or so tests, and that includes a not out 200... His brilliant innings are few and far between at the highest level. He is much better than David Hussey, I will give you that. He looks like he is playing 5th grade in Ballarat

Hughes is still younger than any of those guys were. He also has had a much greater effect at test and first-class level. How you can call a guy that is still closer to 20 than 21 that has scored 100's in each of his first three county matches, Youngest ever to score 2 hundreds in a test, in only his second test, a flash in the pan is beyond me. He will obviously go through rough patches, but to even hint at suggesting Hodge should replace him is laughable.

Hodge's problem isn't flash either. He simply isn't as good, reliable, consistant or ruthless as Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Hayden, Langer, Hughes etc. It's as clear as day that he simply isn't as good an option as any of those guys were.

Jaques will play before Hodge, because If they needed another bat, and Jaques was in form (scored a 100 in his last test innings btw), Katich would bat 4. He isn't an opener, he just grabbed the opportunity he deserved to recieve.

The guy is a very talented bat. But he is this era's Darren lehman. Has a huge cult following that think he is capable of much more than he is. Tears State attacks to shreds, but that is where his talent peaks. He had one big test innings. But he only averages 40 in his 7 or so tests, and that includes a not out 200... His brilliant innings are few and far between at the highest level. He is much better than David Hussey, I will give you that. He looks like he is playing 5th grade in Ballarat

Aye, one big innings, and he was dropped almost immediately after that. Selectors didn't like him.

Aye, one big innings, and he was dropped almost immediately after that. Selectors didn't like him.

After his 200, which was in his 3rd test while filling in for Clarke he scored: 7, 24, 6, 27* and then was dropped for Damien Martyn (who I admit I would like in the team even less the Simple Brad.)

Fact of the matter is, Jason Gillespie also scored a test 200* but noone is claiming he should be in there as a bat. Hodge was a fill in for Langer in the first instance, then Clark, then Martyn. He had much better batsmen in front of him, and as a 34 year old now, he isn't exactly a prospect for the future

I loved Damien Martyn. For a fan of Mark Waugh, he was great. Hopefully Hughes can fill that void.

Hodge's days are over mate, gotta move on now.

I will say one thing about Graham Onions. I play first grade cricket in Newcastle. Graham Onions came out a tthe end of last season as a star signing for a club side in the Newcastle competition, Stockton. (Bearing in mind Newcastle first grade is about Sydney 3rd grade equivalent, from there you go, 2nd, 1st, then into NSW City/Country teams, then NSW 2nd XI, then the NSW 1st class side) So Newcastle first grade is approx 7 steps removed from 1st class cricket. Onions was awful and he got pumped in his 2 games games straight. including 0/60 against a mid-table Merewether side.
you should come and play for wyndhamvale mate. :wink:

After his 200, which was in his 3rd test while filling in for Clarke he scored: 7, 24, 6, 27* and then was dropped for Damien Martyn (who I admit I would like in the team even less the Simple Brad.)

Fact of the matter is, Jason Gillespie also scored a test 200* but noone is claiming he should be in there as a bat. Hodge was a fill in for Langer in the first instance, then Clark, then Martyn. He had much better batsmen in front of him, and as a 34 year old now, he isn't exactly a prospect for the future

Hodge's last test, this time last year, was against the Windies and he scored 27 and 67. Reasonable scores.

He was filling in for Clarke against Sth AfricA in 05/06, because the selectors realised at that time that they were insane playing their lovechild who hadn't done anything since his debut test in India (he was therefore playing for NSW), and was a waste of space. Meanwhile, Hodge was the best bat in country after Ponting. Well overdue for a spot in the side.

Gillespie scored his 200 against Bangers, Hodge scored his double ton against South Africa. Their bowling attacks aren't really comparable.

Hodge is the same age as Hussey, yet Hussey isn't deemed past it, despite his atrocious test form of late.

Fact of the matter: selectors don't like Hodge for some reason. It's Jamie Siddons all over again. just at least Hodge got to play a test.

Hodge's last test, this time last year, was against the Windies and he scored 27 and 67. Reasonable scores.

He was filling in for Clarke against Sth AfricA in 05/06, because the selectors realised at that time that they were insane playing their lovechild who hadn't done anything since his debut test in India (he was therefore playing for NSW), and was a waste of space. Meanwhile, Hodge was the best bat in country after Ponting. Well overdue for a spot in the side.

All true, but I was only referencing the time until he was dropped. And your hatred for Clarke shines through loud and clear, and it definately clouds your opinions of him. You'd go a long way to find anyone else who feels the same way.

And Hodge was not the best bat in the Country after Ponting. Far far from it. Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist, Hussey (who was averaging 80 odd at the time) were all far more accomplished batsmen, and Clarke a far better prospect due to his age, potential and performances).

Gillespie scored his 200 against Bangers, Hodge scored his double ton against South Africa. Their bowling attacks aren't really comparable.

No, bat neither are the batsmen. I can say with some assurance that the bowling abilities of Bangladesh are much closer to the bowling abilities of south africa, than the batting abilities of Gillespie are to the batting abilities of Hodge. It's fish and chip wrappers now anyway.

Hodge is the same age as Hussey, yet Hussey isn't deemed past it, despite his atrocious test form of late.

Fact of the matter: selectors don't like Hodge for some reason. It's Jamie Siddons all over again. just at least Hodge got to play a test.

But Hodge didn't average 85 for the first 17 tests of his career. Baring one huge not out score, he'd be averaging mid to low 30's. Hussey is proven consistantly at that level. Hodge's score looks like an abhoration on his record.

And Siddons all over again it isn't. Hodge is much closer to a spot than Siddons ever was. If you honestly claim that Siddons should have played Test cricket over any of Slater, Taylor, Langer, Blewett, Beven, Waugh S, Waugh M, Ponting, Boon, and co you have rocks in your head

This series will be boring as fuck for on field drama/sledging
There are no characters
No Warney, No Mcgrath and his 5-0 predictions. Symonds wont make the team
England 11 is about as boring as you can get except freddie and Swann

Characters are quickly dissipating... we've just had South Africa who were about as entertaining as Kevin Rudd, and the players of ours who actually get speak are about as interesting and unrestrained as John Hewson.

Characters are quickly dissipating... we've just had South Africa who were about as entertaining as Kevin Rudd, and the players of ours who actually get speak are about as interesting and unrestrained as John Hewson.

Kudos on th John Hewson call. Ponting thinks being a character is curling his lip over and getting shirty when things don't go his way. He is a cock, and an awful captain. Haddin at least has character. Probably not been there long enough to make any sweeping statements though.

Phil Hughes was on Sky in uk and said it would be 5-0 to Aus but he was joking
He hasnt scored enough runs yet to get away with those kind of comments

Its kicking off in england between Chris Gayle and Strauss though
Strauss said Gayle was disrespectful to test cricket for turning up 2 days before lords test (he got 0 & 28)
Gayle hit back saying he could not care less if Test Cricket died and as he is a quality slogger it suits him fine if Twenty20 is the main form of cricket as he will survive AND that Strauss is only worried about test cricket as he cant hack limited overs cricket!

Should be a ref and gloves ready for the toss tomorrow morning

Strauss said Gayle was disrespectful to test cricket for turning up 2 days before lords test (he got 0 & 28)
Gayle hit back saying he could not care less if Test Cricket died and as he is a quality slogger it suits him fine if Twenty20 is the main form of cricket as he will survive AND that Strauss is only worried about test cricket as he cant hack limited overs cricket!

Id be shattered if Test Cricket died. I think it's a funny duel. They are at opposite ends of the spectrum, and they BOTH need to give a fair bit of ground. Strauss is too serious and too rigid: he is steeped in the history of the game, but needs to realise their is validity in Gayle's critisism of him. Gayle IS just a slogger, and probably should retire from Test cricket if that's how he feels about it. Either way, Strauss has played some quality cricket, so has Gayle, but I think they both need to appreciate that neither has earnt the right to be trashing each other's games, because they both aren't exactly the rebirth of Don.

Re Hughes, yes I admit he is too young to have such high hopes for, but I think you are taking him WAY too lightly. The guy tore the best bowling attack in the world to shreds. at 20 years and 90 days he hit Steyn, ntini and Co for 2 100's in 1 test. He has played 5 first class innings in England and scored 3 100's and 2 50's.

Whether he fades out or not, he is the most exciting young prospect world cricket has seen since Tendulkar

'Prospect' being the operative word there. :wink:

Kudos on th John Hewson call. Ponting thinks being a character is curling his lip over and getting shirty when things don't go his way. He is a cock, and an awful captain. Haddin at least has character. Probably not been there long enough to make any sweeping statements though.
Ponting is a fantastic batsman, but he is also a cock and an awful captain yes. Hopefully Haddin stays in the mould of Gilly and speaks freely.

If test cricket died then I would never pay attention to cricket ever again. By absolute miles THE form of the sport.

Ashes squad just announced:

Ricky Ponting, captain
Michael Clarke, vice-captain
Stuart Clark
Brad Haddin
Nathan Hauritz
Ben Hilfenhaus
Phillip Hughes
Michael Hussey
Mitchell Johnson
Simon Katich
Brett Lee
Graham Manou
Andrew McDonald
Marcus North
Peter Siddle
Shane Watson

By my reckoning there are 2 spots open. The starting 9 comfortably look like:

1. Phillip Hughes
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
7. Brad Haddin
8. Mitchell Johnson
10. Stuart Clark
11. Peter Siddle

Others competing for 1 allrounder spot, and 1 bowler spot. Manou is backup:

Nathan Hauritz
Ben Hilfenhaus
Brett Lee
Graham Manou
Andrew McDonald
Marcus North
Shane Watson

Allrounders:

McDonald
North
Watson

McDonald shouldn't even be looked at. North should be frontrunner as the best bat of the lot, and he brings spin bowling to the table. Watson has been ok in the One-dayers, but that has never been considered a precident for picking test teams. So at 6, North, Watson is a darkhorse.

Bowlers:

Lee
Hilfenhaus
Hauritz

The question is whether to play a quick or a spinner. Hauritz is all but assured of a spot in Cardiff given that it has been widely criticised in the media recently for taking too much turn. The only reason he wouldn't play is that he is not considered an attacking spinner, so that may tip the scales towards another quick with North, Clarke and Katich in the side capable of bowling above average spin. Out of Lee and Hilfenhaus, it has to be Lee. Veteran of 300 wickets, and looks to be in good form judging by his recent 20/20 performances. Obviously not a good Test indication, but will get some warm up games in as well. Biggest positive is that he is bowling quick. Hilfenhaus is an exciting prospect in England because of his swing. His substandard test performances and inexperience count against him. Lee has the edge on the other 2.

My XI would read:

1. Phillip Hughes
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Marcus North
7. Brad Haddin
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Brett Lee
10. Stuart Clark
11. Peter Siddle

12. Nathan Hauritz

Others in squad

Shane Watson
Andrew McDonald
Graham Manou
Ben Hilfenhaus

I wouldn't be suprised if they played one of these two lineups:

1. Phillip Hughes
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Marcus North
7. Brad Haddin
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Nathan Hauritz
10. Stuart Clark
11. Peter Siddle

or

1. Phillip Hughes
2. Simon Katich
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Brad Haddin
7. Mitchell Johnson
8. Brett Lee
9. Nathan Hauritz
10. Stuart Clark
11. Peter Siddle

I think either my first one in the post above, or the second one in the post are most likely

The 16-man Australian Ashes squad:

Ricky Ponting (captain), Michael Clarke (vice-captain), Simon Katich, Phillip Hughes, Mike Hussey, Marcus North, Andrew McDonald, Shane Watson, Brad Haddin, Graham Manou, Brett Lee, Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Stuart Clark, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Hauritz.

No Symonds thank GOD, (he's 34 next month :ohmy: ) and I would think the regular 11 here is going to exclude Hilfenhaus, Hauritz, Manou, McDonald and Watson more often than not. Hard to see Manou getting a game

OK, I clearly haven't been paying attention lately. Who the hell is Manou?

Graham Manou, plays for SA I think, and he's the reserve keeper.

Ron Reed from the Herald Sun, inte, predicted Hodge would make the cut be he did not.

Hodge is too old. They have made it perfectly clear 6 is an allrounders spot, and Hodge's bowling is very sub-standard. You can't drop any of the top 5. It's open and shut.

I think the squad is ok. It just reflects our lack of deph. We have 13 world beaters, and nothin else. In years gone by, we had 20 world beaters, and then about 20 ready to step in

I'm very confident we'll still win. Ian Botham the dickhead seems to think our bowling line-up is weak. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I agree about Hodgey. I still don't get the fascination with having an allrounder. Surely Johnson's proved enough with the bat.

I'm very confident we'll still win. Ian Botham the dickhead seems to think our bowling line-up is weak. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I agree about Hodgey. I still don't get the fascination with having an allrounder. Surely Johnson's proved enough with the bat.

See line-up 3 above...

Johnson should bat 7, Haddin 6, 4 quicks and a spinner.

I like...

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Clark

with Hilfenhaus to replace whoever struggles. This way you've got spin covered as well, Katich and North have shown they're pretty able.

Spin is going to be a major problem for us in the future however.

Fair enough. I realise he hasn't played in a while, but Clark is always the best bowler when he's there. His average is 22

Spin won't be a problem though. 2 names will be on the table for the next 10 years:

John Holland
Beau Casson

They will fight it out for the spot on the next ashes tour. You heard it here first

I like...

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Siddle
Clark

:up: This.

Though I'd love to see Clark get smashed around in the first test so Hilfy can get in the team.

:down: Shit squad though, for obvious reasons relating to my love affair/bias/whatever for Hodge.

Gonna be hard to support this team....

I will say re Clark/Siddle batting 10/11, I prefer having Siddle at 11 to hold up an end. Both probably have the same run scoring capacity, but Clark will do it much quicker, and get out much quicker. If it's a case of digging in to get a batsman to 100, Id rather Siddle at the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom