The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesse Ryder is a legend!
I like him as he doesnt look like a cricket player - he is just fat

McCullum is a good player too

If NZ get Drav or Sachin out quickly then i think its game over - 3 days to go yet!

You sure Cullen's still a better bat than Johnson there dan? :wink:

Casson? Yeah. Johnson can bash his way to quick runs, and his 96 and 123 were gold in SA, but he is a bowler with a fantastic eye, and a clean stroke. More often than not he scores nothing because he doesn't settle in like a batsman should.

He suits number 8, because if someone is batting well, and he stays in, he can be devastating. He can also come off shockingly.

Casson Is actually a batter. He looks like a batter. He opens for his Sydney Grade side, and has scored about 6 hundreds in the last 2 or 3 years. Vic's should know how he bats from the shield final of 07-08. NSW have used him as a number 6 before.

I think he is technically a better bat, and is capable of scoring runs more consistantly, but not capable of the devastation Johnson is.

Either way, with the lack of talent out there, he has got to be a roughie for a tour to England. (It would be an outrage if McGain goes, (0-149 in your first test, as opposed to 3-86 from Casson). Anyone wanting to use the "Shane Warne' Defence saying he had a shocker first up needs to realise that McGain is nearly 37

Ryder and Taylor are both guns. You really need them to not get injured though.

Ryder, in particular.

when are the sheep-shaggers guna realise that they have no decent openers, and Vettori needs to man up and do it.

No-one can claim its too much workload, blah blah. He is a great captain, and a great bowler. He has to bat anyway, and Sobers did all three.

I would be picking an NZ team that looks something like this.

Vettori
Guptil, macIntosh, whoever
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
How (test record is garbage, but he has SO much talent)
McCullum
Franklin
O'Brien
Patel
Martin

It bats down to 8, and has 5 top bowlers. Vettori averages 30 (better than other options they have up there), puts pressure on the other opener to perform for his spot. Middle order is very solid. Taylor and Ryder speak for themselves, and Flynn can be as good as either on his day. How as I said above has plenty of potential, and would benefit from a drop down the order to take some pressure off. McCullum is probably the 4th best keeper-bat in the world (no shame behind Sangakarra, Haddin and Dhoni). Franklin, while he has a great first class record, probably isn't a 6 as they have been playing him. Will score more test 50's than any other number 8 (Johnson excluded).

Bowling wise, they have enough seam-up firepower with Martin, O'Brien, Franklin with some support from Ryder. Vettori, Patel and support from How would be one of the best spin attacks around (Murali and Mendis would form the only attack better).

So, while it may not be ideal to have Vettori opening, it is about the best option for them atm. Frees up a slot for another batsman, while allowing them 5 frontline bowlers.

the last thing we need is vettori opening. he's much more suited lower down the order. the most obvious reason for this is that anyone opening for new zealand will suck. if bradman opened for us he'd be shit.

the last thing we need is vettori opening. he's much more suited lower down the order. the most obvious reason for this is that anyone opening for new zealand will suck. if bradman opened for us he'd be shit.

NZ opening problems is a lack of talent, not a mystical 'you will fail as it comes with the job' reason.

Vettori is the kind of class act that has never suffered with increased responsibility. He is one of the best bowling captains ever in my opinion. He is good for 30-odd every time he bats, and can score test hundreds. I see more hundreds coming from him than Guptil, MacIntosh, Redmond etc.

The problem with the side at the moment isn't so much a lack of playing options, or just not being good enough, they need to find a balance that maximises the effect of both bat and ball. While Vettori may not be the best opener in NZ at the moment, he is the best option for the national side to find the balance and varity they need to be competitive

NZ opening problems is a lack of talent, not a mystical 'you will fail as it comes with the job' reason.

Vettori is the kind of class act that has never suffered with increased responsibility. He is one of the best bowling captains ever in my opinion. He is good for 30-odd every time he bats, and can score test hundreds. I see more hundreds coming from him than Guptil, MacIntosh, Redmond etc.

The problem with the side at the moment isn't so much a lack of playing options, or just not being good enough, they need to find a balance that maximises the effect of both bat and ball. While Vettori may not be the best opener in NZ at the moment, he is the best option for the national side to find the balance and varity they need to be competitive

oh, you're right...i just ran out of reasons for why he'd be a bad opener. he opened in 2003ish at the world cup, and we didn't do too badly there.

what shits me off is that we should be good now, there's a lot of class around. but we can never seem to have a class batting lineup at the same time as a class bowling lineup.

ps check the nrl thread.

oh, you're right...i just ran out of reasons for why he'd be a bad opener. he opened in 2003ish at the world cup, and we didn't do too badly there.

what shits me off is that we should be good now, there's a lot of class around. but we can never seem to have a class batting lineup at the same time as a class bowling lineup.

ps check the nrl thread.

If you had Shane Bond you would be top 5 in the world.

Martin, O'Brien and Franklin are all solid bowlers, but there is no spearhead. Those three could rip the heart out of sides after Bond knocked off the heads, but because they have no bowlers that oppositions fear, it makes their job so much harder. Add Bond to the side I mentioned above in place of Jeetan Patel, and that is a side that could beat anyone on their day

If you had Shane Bond you would be top 5 in the world.

Martin, O'Brien and Franklin are all solid bowlers, but there is no spearhead. Those three could rip the heart out of sides after Bond knocked off the heads, but because they have no bowlers that oppositions fear, it makes their job so much harder. Add Bond to the side I mentioned above in place of Jeetan Patel, and that is a side that could beat anyone on their day

exactly.

frankly, i'm also never, ever going to forgive john bracewell. with very little change in personnel our team suddenly became disgraceful. there's only one explanation in my books...

exactly.

frankly, i'm also never, ever going to forgive john bracewell. with very little change in personnel our team suddenly became disgraceful. there's only one explanation in my books...

true.

Is Jesse Ryder the new Craig McMillan? Capable of destroying any attack in the world (though some days just doesn't turn up), and takes huge wickets and great moments.

In an ideal world, Vettori would bat 8. No question. But I don't see any of their openers having any consistency. More often than not, Vetorri will score 20-odd, often 30-odd. That's what they need at the moment. Being 3-16 like they have been the last few tests means that if both ryder and taylor don't fire, they will be bundled out for under 150.

If they can find an opener good enough to be dependable, not spectacular (Guptil is too flashy) and they can string together 50 run opening stands, it makes it a hell of a lot easier on the middle order, and they could score 600 on any attack around.

That's my reasoning for Vettori. You may have better batsmen, but not more reliable and consistant ones.

Agree with most of that. It's a shame about New Zealand, in theory they should be a pretty good side, they just never seem able to put it all together on a consistent basis.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vettori open. I think he'd be exposed though.

Shame about Bond. I think he averages(ed) something like 19 against us.

Agree with most of that. It's a shame about New Zealand, in theory they should be a pretty good side, they just never seem able to put it all together on a consistent basis.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vettori open. I think he'd be exposed though.

Shame about Bond. I think he averages(ed) something like 19 against us.

Yeah. bond was a top top bowler.

I think the main thing with Vettori is that its worth trying. He is making his 30 every innings, but its wasted down low. They are either already written off, or he is following hundreds from taylor, ryder and mccullum.

He is probably their most consistant, in that he will score runs more often than not. The other thing too, is that if he fails, what does it matter? You only lose a guy who would normally be at number 8, and its not like they have had any half decent opening partnerships in, well months.

If Vettori can produce the same form he does at number 8, they will rack up 50 partnerships fairly regularly for the first wicket, and it gives Taylor and Ryder breathing space, because if they fail, NZ typically score less than 150

the most obvious reason for this is that anyone opening for new zealand will suck. if bradman opened for us he'd be shit.

Quoted for truth. :lmao:

I've maintained for years that New Zealand could have the best team in the world, or at least one of them, if only we could figure out how to have a measure of consistency.

I don't expect us to find that consistency in a hurry.

So after last night, Phil Hughes is playing in his 3rd first class game for middlesex.

So far he has scored

65*
134*

His stats read:

M I No Runs HS Avg 100s 50s
3 4* 2 456 139 228.00 3 1

Anyone still think he's not the genuine article?

^^^

It doesnt matter - Onions will chop Hughes to pieces

LOL! Onions is a trundler who took 5 against the West Indies tail. I could dimiss the West indies tail.

Hughes at 20 years and 90 days peeled off TWO centuries in the same test against the best non-Australian bowling attack seen for 10 years. Hughes will leave Onions teary.

I hope you stick around oh mad one. The Ashes are going to be a lot of fun.

If we had a better bowling attack it'd be hard seeing you winning a test.

I hope you stick around oh mad one. The Ashes are going to be a lot of fun.

If we had a better bowling attack it'd be hard seeing you winning a test.

Stuart Clark will murder them in English conditions. Johnson Lee and Siddle aswell all have the potential to take them out. Add to that Katich, North and Clarke spin options and I'd say our bowling attack is pretty potent.

Look at it this way. We just did SA with hilfenhaus averaging about 50, and McDonald in the team (HA!).

Onions? Is he some player? :scratch:

Excuse my ignorance.

Test debut currently against West Indies. Took the last 5 wickets of their innings. He has a first class average in the mid 30's with the ball. I can;t say I'm too concerned.

That's a good point. And we keep hearing about how Hilfenhaus is the best swing bowler going around in Oz at the moment, and England is the perfect place to exploit those conditions.

It'd be great to see a big series for Lee, and hopefully idiot Ponting will have the foresight to see that Katich is a very handy bowler, more so than Clarke. I'd like them to take Krejza, and McGain too.

That's a good point. And we keep hearing about how Hilfenhaus is the best swing bowler going around in Oz at the moment, and England is the perfect place to exploit those conditions.

It'd be great to see a big series for Lee, and hopefully idiot Ponting will have the foresight to see that Katich is a very handy bowler, more so than Clarke. I'd like them to take Krejza, and McGain too.

If Krezja or McGain play for Australia again I'll stop watching.

McGain is too old to be even a short term solution, and he was pumped in SA and had no answers. Krezja is highly overrated because he took a couple of wickets in india on a pitch where all the finger spinners were turning the ball square.

Australia don't have the spinner at the moment, so they can't create what isn't there. Make do with getting your quota out of North, Katich and Clarke, surely at least one of them will have a good game with the ball. Either way, they are all in the top 5 spinners in Aus atm anyway.

I notice that Mrs Watson is injured again. No matter how well he plays, they can't take the risk on him, because he'll chip a nail on the first morning of the test and be out for months again.

Test order for first ashes test should be

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Clark
Siddle

That is the most efficient team. Batting line-up is very long with Lee at 9. 4 quicks, all of whom could be very successful in England. 3 spinners to pick from.

basically have 9 bats and 7 bowlers in that team.

I fear the team will look like this

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Watson/Symonds (neither deserve another chance)
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Hilfenhaus (may swing it in England, but isn't as good as the other 4 quicks)
Siddle

I like Krejza because he could spin it, and McGain actually I take that back. :lol: Not sure why I said that.

I really doubt Symo will get picked, but the selectors have proven in the past that they're idiots (Casson!!) and could reinforce that opinion. Watson's too much of a risk yes, but he should at least be on the tour.

I think Hilfy'll go, but maybe only play a test. Or two.

Dont underestimate Onions, you Aussies are dicing with trouble

And Ravi Bopara is the new Ian Bell....(few good scores, gets lucky, cocky, really he is shit)
I have to show some bravado here as realistically england are a steaming pile of pooh
If they somehow perform a miracle and win, they wont win a test until 2013 as they will still be celebrating (just like in bewteen 2005-2009)

My Ashes prediction - Eng 1 Aus 3

Dont underestimate Onions, you Aussies are dicing with trouble

And Ravi Bopara is the new Ian Bell....(few good scores, gets lucky, cocky, really he is shit)
I have to show some bravado here as realistically england are a steaming pile of pooh
If they somehow perform a miracle and win, they wont win a test until 2013 as they will still be celebrating (just like in bewteen 2005-2009)

My Ashes prediction - Eng 1 Aus 3

Onions is custard.

The new Bell? scores millions against Bangladesh, hailed as the new Bradman, then can't score a run against Australia? :hmm:

New bowlers often succeed against us... but then we work them out and they can't buy a wicket in the next test.

I also completely retract any concerns/complaints/blahblahblah/etc I had about Hughes

Graham Onions? I almost forgot about that guy, how could I with a name like that. Hope he does well and becomes the next Bradman.

Siddle could be the destroyer. Mitch Johnson can't do it alone. If Siddle fires, Aussies should romp it home, cause of two gun pacemen.

I'd like to see McGain tour cause he's a Vic, but Aussies only viable spin options are to bring Warnie or MacGill out of retirement, otherwise play four quicks. North is a good enough part-time spinner and hes originally from Melbs anyway, so he's cool.

Hodge better at least make the touring party or I'll struggle to support Australia properly. Hopefully Clarke or Katich will lose form so Hodgey can get back in the side. Hussey has been quite ordinary for a while now. Drop him and give Hodge a test or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom