The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
continues to give the big fuck you to the selectors...

i know he's 34, but you would think ton after ton would have been enough to get rid of hussey. unfortunately they decided to keep hussey in the side for however long it took him to find form again. so he got a ton in the last ashes test and was the player of the series in the ODIs against india :scream:

continues to give the big fuck you to the selectors...

i know he's 34, but you would think ton after ton would have been enough to get rid of hussey. unfortunately they decided to keep hussey in the side for however long it took him to find form again. so he got a ton in the last ashes test and was the player of the series in the ODIs against india :scream:

unfortunately for Hodge, he played in an era where there were 10 bats better than him. sure he can score 100s, but so can other guys.

He could feel hard done by with their faith in watson over him, as could hughes though. And if you are picking a test team, id be picking the latter, as the 20 year old is easily your pick over the 34 pushing 35 year old

SA demolish ENG in T20
and i mean demolish

170 opening partnership!

I kind have lost interest in cricket recently - dont care any more
Football is on so it doesnt really matter

unfortunately for Hodge, he played in an era where there were 10 bats better than him. sure he can score 100s, but so can other guys.

He could feel hard done by with their faith in watson over him, as could hughes though. And if you are picking a test team, id be picking the latter, as the 20 year old is easily your pick over the 34 pushing 35 year old

i'm not sure about 10 bats better than him. he has a test average of 58.

it disgusts me that watson is in the test side.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hodge
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Siddle

something like that would be my side.

i'm not sure about 10 bats better than him. he has a test average of 58.

it disgusts me that watson is in the test side.

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Hodge
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Siddle

something like that would be my side.

Batsmen ahead of Hodge when he was first touted as a possible test player:

Waugh S
Ponting R
Langer J
Hayden M
Slater M
Clarke M
Katich S
Lehman D
Love M
Gilchrist A
Martyn D

add to that currently

Jaques P
Hughes P
Watson S (HA!)
Haddin B
North M

Unfortunately for the guy, he isn't as good as any apart from maybe Martin Love. Having a good record is one thing, but that record is seriously inflated by 1 big score, and then a couple of not outs in his most recent outings. Stuart Law scored 54* in his only test. He is much more hard done by than Hodge in his career.

Jason Gillespie scored a 200, so as far as the moaning about Hodge is concerned, he is a great batsman, but I couldn't justify, no matter where he is from, putting him in ahead of any of those guys barring Love and Watson.

My current test side:

Hughes
Jaques
Ponting
Clarke
Katich
North
Haddin
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Clark

12 Siddle

Siddle is a wonderful prospect, but while we have a guy who averages 20 with the ball in stuart clark, and we not able to dimiss teams like England with Hilf, Siddle and Johnson, then we need to use him before he's too old.

I am still bitter about Casson. Much like inte with hodge I suppose. He looks to be on the mend, took 2/1 in the second dig against WA and scored 181 in a sydney first grade game on the weekend, facing the likes of Grant Lambert.

I think my side, considering I wouldnt have given Casson the arse after a decent debut and then tried 6 other unsuccessful spinning options would destroy the side above:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
North
Haddin
Johnson
Casson
Lee
Clark
Siddle

Dizy's double ton was against Bangers, Hodgey's was against South Africa. But I'll never get over it. It's not about getting in now, it's about getting in 4 or 5 years ago.

Never liked S Law, a grumpy little sod.

I've given up anyway. Hodgey's better off playing for Vics anyway...now with the opportunities 20/20 presents players.

I've lost track of the whole Aussie side anyway, now with their being 3 forms of the game to select sides for and all the injuries that Australia suffered in that pointless ODI series in India...

This summer is gonna do cricket's popularity in Australia some severe harm, West Indies and Pakistan are anything but drawcard tourists this summer, and cricket's in all sorts of strife.

Is Henriques any good. Everytime I watched him play he was useless, and he gets shite scores and figures in the paper when I look up results, or are the selectors just selecting him cause he's young and from NSW and it gives the Aussie team a more multicultural look, they've been talking him up for years.

well i'm still holding on tightly to test cricket, looks like i'm one of the few here.

this summer is only going to be shit if people keep talking it up like it, personally i think it could be an absolute ripper. people are forgetting we've got a weak side, and the west indies aren't all that bad. pakistan have got a few damn good bats too.

the henriques selection i think had more to do with the fact that every time someone lifted a finger on that ODI tour they got injured, and he was one of the ring-ins.

Dizy's double ton was against Bangers, Hodgey's was against South Africa. But I'll never get over it. It's not about getting in now, it's about getting in 4 or 5 years ago.

Never liked S Law, a grumpy little sod.

I've given up anyway. Hodgey's better off playing for Vics anyway...now with the opportunities 20/20 presents players.

I've lost track of the whole Aussie side anyway, now with their being 3 forms of the game to select sides for and all the injuries that Australia suffered in that pointless ODI series in India...

This summer is gonna do cricket's popularity in Australia some severe harm, West Indies and Pakistan are anything but drawcard tourists this summer, and cricket's in all sorts of strife.

Is Henriques any good. Everytime I watched him play he was useless, and he gets shite scores and figures in the paper when I look up results, or are the selectors just selecting him cause he's young and from NSW and it gives the Aussie team a more multicultural look, they've been talking him up for years.

Not wanting to get too stuck in here inte, but its comments like the second line that give you little clout. Stuart Law may be a grumpy little sod, and you may not like him, but he well and truely deserved more of a chance. The selectors just liked a little tasmanian kid better. It turned out ok for them in the end. We never know what he would have been at test level.

And comparing bangladesh for gillespie to south africa for hodge is all well and good, but to even think about comparing the opposition, you are entertaining the thought of comparing them as batsmen, which is dangerous territory.

And while the windies wont draw a crowd, the pakistan series will be awesome. There are some fantastic young cricketers in the Pakistan team. I would love to go and see thr akmals, afridi and co go round.

Henriques is good, but probably not worth a run. The insinuation you make about NSW though is nonsense, because of all the people deserving of test spots recently, it seems the NSW guys are the ones getting fucked over. Bollinger vs Hilf was a toss up in South Africa, but Bollinger had the test cap, and played really well, without a great deal of luck. Hilfenhaus played awfully in his first 2 tests, but got the nod for enland. Hughes, well don't get me started on what a moronic decision it was to dump a guy barely 20 years of age who had played 5 tests, averaged high 50's and scoed 2 centuries lready. And my little 'hodgey' gripe about Beau Casson. May be from WA, but the blue cap on his head must have been a big part in the incumbent spinner in the aussie team falling (with NO first class cricket between the windies test and the indian series) from 1st choice to being below mcgain, krezja, white and hauritz.

One could actually argue that the guys going into the rightful positions of NSW guys ARE victorians. White and McGain have played test cricket (what a joke!) ANDREW MCDONALD!!!! seriously. If 18 months ago someone had said to me that andrew mcdonald would play test cricket id have driven them to the nut house.

So before any half-cocked NSW being given undeserved spots nonsense, have a look at the facts.

well i'm still holding on tightly to test cricket, looks like i'm one of the few here.

this summer is only going to be shit if people keep talking it up like it, personally i think it could be an absolute ripper. people are forgetting we've got a weak side, and the west indies aren't all that bad. pakistan have got a few damn good bats too.

the henriques selection i think had more to do with the fact that every time someone lifted a finger on that ODI tour they got injured, and he was one of the ring-ins.

Test cricket is still awesome, and always will be. If it dies out I will be totally shattered.

I agree with Henriques. He had a fantastic Champions League in India barely a week before that tour, so he was a logical pick for a guy already used to the conditions, and seemingly in a bit of form.

Stuart Law may be a grumpy little sod, and you may not like him, but he well and truely deserved more of a chance. The selectors just liked a little tasmanian kid better. It turned out ok for them in the end. We never know what he would have been at test level.

And while the windies wont draw a crowd, the pakistan series will be awesome. There are some fantastic young cricketers in the Pakistan team. I would love to go and see thr akmals, afridi and co go round.

Henriques is good, but probably not worth a run.

I wasn't really having one of my anti-NSW rants actually, just acknowledging that the development of "next big thing" Aussie cricket superstars is necessarily NSW-centric (biggest state and all). And I'm talking specifically about before these players have represented their country Or state extensively) in any from of the game (Lee, Clarke, Thornley, Henriques,). The direction of hype. Not a criticism, just an acknowledgement of how it helps (in the case of these players). It just appears that a lot of other eventual test players, tend to either take a few extra years or have some massive run of form to earn consideration.

Law indeed deserved a more of a go, but I'm glad he didn't cause he always seemed like an arsehole, that's all.

The only thing about Henriques is that they were talking him up about 4 years ago, had a story about him on the Cricket Show about how wonderful it is that a Portugese kid is playing cricket in Australia, and yeah over that time, I followed his stats, and he seemed to be very average.

I'm sure the Pakistan series will be awesome on the pitch, but I doubt the wider sporting public are going to see it that way. It's just the sense I'm getting from many people, a kind of exhaustion with all things cricket, the hype for this summer is nowhere near what it was in years gone by, regardless of who is playing.

SA demolish ENG in T20
and i mean demolish

170 opening partnership!

I kind have lost interest in cricket recently - dont care any more
Football is on so it doesnt really matter

i actually laughed out loud when i turned the tv on and saw the SA score on tv just as they were wrapping up their innings. no way we were ever going to get near 240!

hughes is 20. he was struggling, he's got 15 years of test cricket to go.

mcdonald is better than you're giving him credit for in my opinion. i'd rather have mcdonald in the side than watson.

hughes is 20. he was struggling, he's got 15 years of test cricket to go.

mcdonald is better than you're giving him credit for in my opinion. i'd rather have mcdonald in the side than watson.

I wouldnt call it strugling. He had two horribly unlucky dismissals to go with 2 awfully played balls. Before that, he scored 5 tons in the english county season (of which he played a handful of games). I dont know of any other 20 year old with that type of record that would have been dropped so harshly.

mcdonald may be better than I give him credit for, but I give him no credit at all, so it isnt hard to achieve that. Honestly, people that lose their wicket to him should be forced to do a nude run around the ground in shame. Gentle gentle mediums that dont swing or cut a great deal isn't test match bowling. He isnt a test standard bat either.

I actually watched the Aus Idol final instead of that. :lol:

I can't say that cricket is really that exciting now, so looking forward to late December for the tennis. :hyper:

What a farce that 20/20 thing was last night.....who the hell is Steve Smith?

amdadSteve_72.jpg

funny thing is he actually looks like this.

nsw leggie

What a farce that 20/20 thing was last night.....who the hell is Steve Smith?

you are joking right? about both?

Mcgrath was amazing. Proves just how awful we are atm.

Steven Smith Is much mroe deserving than Henriques. He has been smashing runs all year in both 50 over and first class, he bowls good leggies (warne called him the best prospect in the country) and played really well in the indian champions league

What I mean about it being a farce was how there appeared to be no one there, and the teams just seemed to be slapped together for the sake of playing a game. And where is someone like Steve Smith gonna slot into this Aussie team?

What I mean about it being a farce was how there appeared to be no one there, and the teams just seemed to be slapped together for the sake of playing a game. And where is someone like Steve Smith gonna slot into this Aussie team?

Honestly? he's a better bowler than hauritz, and a top 6 bat to boot. He could easily bat 7 for aus and be the allrounder they have been so desperately trying to cultivate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom