The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 03:47 AM   #46
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:00 AM
It's far too soon for a World Cup. The game needs to establish some roots first.

Then again, people were probably saying this when the ODI Cup began too.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-16-2007, 07:57 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04

When you're there its bloody awesome. If they had continued with the only odd games, it would've been alright, but this world cup for it has screwed it up.
I went to a couple of the state 20/20's last summer, dodnt care about the games, just love hanging out at the G

Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

That's because us Vics are by far the masters of 2020 in Australia...

And wow, Brett Lee + hat-tricks. That guy is IMO another underrated player - one of the few who can bat and bowl relatively convincingly.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #49
45:33

I can't believe he got that hat trick, espcially in that manner. Usually when they take two in a row you're like "fucking nice!!" but they never get it. It's always blocked back. But he got as fucking yorker in on his toes! There was no doubt there at all! It's a shame the state games don't get supported more.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:03 AM   #50
Vocal parasite

The state games, whether ODI or Twenty20, have been abso-fucking-lutely screwed ever since they stopped being a regular fixture of daytime weekend TV. I went to a few games at the 'Gabba back when I lived in Queensland and when the games stopped getting good free-to-air coverage, attendance seriously declined.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Word.

The worst part is, often the state games are often as good a quality as, if not better than, most of the international games that're around.

In fact, I think that cricket in Australia in general has suffered massively by not being on free-to-air tv. The only sport that you can turn the tv on and watch is AFL, and that only barely qualifies as a sport, and only because it has a ball.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:06 AM   #52
Vocal parasite

Oh hell yes, Australian state cricket is of impeccable quality. As far as domestic tournaments, it's right up there with various European soccer competitions and rugby's Super 14 (or in pre-Super 14 years, New Zealand's NPC and South Africa's Currie Cup, both of which have been neutered somewhat by the Super 14). Back in New Zealand, most people barely care about the domestic cricket; I can't even name all the teams off the top of my head and I've no bloody clue who's on Wellington's team. But in the free-to-air days, the atmosphere at the 'Gabba for QLD vs NSW matches was absolutely intense. I always had a really good time, and I'd much rather watch one of those games than, say, today's England vs the Windies. The only redeeming feature of that game would be Keven Pietersen.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-18-2007, 05:21 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

There is no greater sight in Australia sport than seeing New South Wales lose in sport.....
Old 09-18-2007, 05:57 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
I always had a really good time, and I'd much rather watch one of those games than, say, today's England vs the Windies. The only redeeming feature of that game would be Keven Pietersen.
Arr, you're being a tad harsh there... You're forgetting the inevitable breakdown of Freddie Flintoff and everyone's punting about whether Vaughan would manage to injure himself again.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:41 AM   #55

True... I used to love watching the state games. They are really good quality stuff... but now it's like the VFL - no one gives a shit!

Oh and don't know if anyone saw but MacGill cracked the poos again in an Aus A over in Pakistan. What a moron. Even his own teamates testified against him!

And I watched a bit of the Aus/Bang 20/20 the other day. It was really boring I knew that as soon as they made it into a world cup, after the farce that was the one-day world cup it would start failing.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

20/20 was good when it was still fun for everyone. ie. commentators mucking around with the players, people being silly buggers in the stands, players closing their eyes and swinging and tv audiences just laughing at all of them.

Now it's just too serious and cricket is starting to die slowly. You can sense it here in Melb, there's a growing sense of "who the hell cares" about cricket.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:44 AM   #57
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Arr, you're being a tad harsh there... You're forgetting the inevitable breakdown of Freddie Flintoff and everyone's punting about whether Vaughan would manage to injure himself again.
You've got me there! "Here comes Freddie Flintoff to inject life into the English batting order!" ... half an hour later ... "And Flintoff's gone, 10 off 40! He was scoring really fast out there in comparison to everyone else; England's now looking desperate."

And yeah, I really have to agree with the comments that in the last few years, cricket has seriously lost something. The magic is evaporating from the game at a great rate. I'm struggling to care about Twenty20. It was a bit of a laugh at the start and I enjoyed it, but it's not developing into anything of merit. It's a mindless slogfest and the bowler should just be replaced with an automated bowling machine. ODIs have been horribly tarnished by the catastrophic Cup earlier this year. Only Tests retain their integrity, but in today's fast-paced society, they aren't going to win many new fans.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-19-2007, 03:44 AM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

MacGill's the only remaining NSW player I respect.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:23 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
20/20 was good when it was still fun for everyone. ie. commentators mucking around with the players, people being silly buggers in the stands, players closing their eyes and swinging and tv audiences just laughing at all of them.

Now it's just too serious and cricket is starting to die slowly. You can sense it here in Melb, there's a growing sense of "who the hell cares" about cricket.
agree 100%.

and Axver - you must have been in tears when England played us in like the third or fourth test, and scored about 70 runs from 50 overs.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:25 AM   #60
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
and Axver - you must have been in tears when England played us in like the third or fourth test, and scored about 70 runs from 50 overs.
I'm convinced that was a group of American schoolboys disguised as the English team. It's the only explanation that makes even a modicum of sense.

Gig pictures | Blog
Closed Thread

Tags
cricket, world cup