The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!! - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #451
Refugee

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Jesse Ryder is a legend!
I like him as he doesnt look like a cricket player - he is just fat

McCullum is a good player too

If NZ get Drav or Sachin out quickly then i think its game over - 3 days to go yet!

Old 03-27-2009, 06:27 AM   #452
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:12 AM
Sachin Tendulkar is such a legend.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #453
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
You sure Cullen's still a better bat than Johnson there dan?
Casson? Yeah. Johnson can bash his way to quick runs, and his 96 and 123 were gold in SA, but he is a bowler with a fantastic eye, and a clean stroke. More often than not he scores nothing because he doesn't settle in like a batsman should.

He suits number 8, because if someone is batting well, and he stays in, he can be devastating. He can also come off shockingly.

Casson Is actually a batter. He looks like a batter. He opens for his Sydney Grade side, and has scored about 6 hundreds in the last 2 or 3 years. Vic's should know how he bats from the shield final of 07-08. NSW have used him as a number 6 before.

I think he is technically a better bat, and is capable of scoring runs more consistantly, but not capable of the devastation Johnson is.

Either way, with the lack of talent out there, he has got to be a roughie for a tour to England. (It would be an outrage if McGain goes, (0-149 in your first test, as opposed to 3-86 from Casson). Anyone wanting to use the "Shane Warne' Defence saying he had a shocker first up needs to realise that McGain is nearly 37
Old 04-07-2009, 08:56 AM   #454
Refugee

Nz lost to India 1-0 in the test series

should have been 2-0 but it rained in Wellington
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #455
Vocal parasite

God I love Wellington weather.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 PM   #456
45:33

Ryder and Taylor are both guns. You really need them to not get injured though.

Ryder, in particular.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #457
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Ryder and Taylor are both guns. You really need them to not get injured though.

Ryder, in particular.
when are the sheep-shaggers guna realise that they have no decent openers, and Vettori needs to man up and do it.

No-one can claim its too much workload, blah blah. He is a great captain, and a great bowler. He has to bat anyway, and Sobers did all three.

I would be picking an NZ team that looks something like this.

Vettori
Guptil, macIntosh, whoever
Flynn
Taylor
Ryder
How (test record is garbage, but he has SO much talent)
McCullum
Franklin
O'Brien
Patel
Martin

It bats down to 8, and has 5 top bowlers. Vettori averages 30 (better than other options they have up there), puts pressure on the other opener to perform for his spot. Middle order is very solid. Taylor and Ryder speak for themselves, and Flynn can be as good as either on his day. How as I said above has plenty of potential, and would benefit from a drop down the order to take some pressure off. McCullum is probably the 4th best keeper-bat in the world (no shame behind Sangakarra, Haddin and Dhoni). Franklin, while he has a great first class record, probably isn't a 6 as they have been playing him. Will score more test 50's than any other number 8 (Johnson excluded).

Bowling wise, they have enough seam-up firepower with Martin, O'Brien, Franklin with some support from Ryder. Vettori, Patel and support from How would be one of the best spin attacks around (Murali and Mendis would form the only attack better).

So, while it may not be ideal to have Vettori opening, it is about the best option for them atm. Frees up a slot for another batsman, while allowing them 5 frontline bowlers.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:52 PM   #458
Blue Crack Supplier

the last thing we need is vettori opening. he's much more suited lower down the order. the most obvious reason for this is that anyone opening for new zealand will suck. if bradman opened for us he'd be shit.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:58 PM   #459
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
the last thing we need is vettori opening. he's much more suited lower down the order. the most obvious reason for this is that anyone opening for new zealand will suck. if bradman opened for us he'd be shit.
NZ opening problems is a lack of talent, not a mystical 'you will fail as it comes with the job' reason.

Vettori is the kind of class act that has never suffered with increased responsibility. He is one of the best bowling captains ever in my opinion. He is good for 30-odd every time he bats, and can score test hundreds. I see more hundreds coming from him than Guptil, MacIntosh, Redmond etc.

The problem with the side at the moment isn't so much a lack of playing options, or just not being good enough, they need to find a balance that maximises the effect of both bat and ball. While Vettori may not be the best opener in NZ at the moment, he is the best option for the national side to find the balance and varity they need to be competitive
Old 04-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #460
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
NZ opening problems is a lack of talent, not a mystical 'you will fail as it comes with the job' reason.

Vettori is the kind of class act that has never suffered with increased responsibility. He is one of the best bowling captains ever in my opinion. He is good for 30-odd every time he bats, and can score test hundreds. I see more hundreds coming from him than Guptil, MacIntosh, Redmond etc.

The problem with the side at the moment isn't so much a lack of playing options, or just not being good enough, they need to find a balance that maximises the effect of both bat and ball. While Vettori may not be the best opener in NZ at the moment, he is the best option for the national side to find the balance and varity they need to be competitive
oh, you're right...i just ran out of reasons for why he'd be a bad opener. he opened in 2003ish at the world cup, and we didn't do too badly there.

what shits me off is that we should be good now, there's a lot of class around. but we can never seem to have a class batting lineup at the same time as a class bowling lineup.

ps check the nrl thread.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #461
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
oh, you're right...i just ran out of reasons for why he'd be a bad opener. he opened in 2003ish at the world cup, and we didn't do too badly there.

what shits me off is that we should be good now, there's a lot of class around. but we can never seem to have a class batting lineup at the same time as a class bowling lineup.

ps check the nrl thread.
If you had Shane Bond you would be top 5 in the world.

Martin, O'Brien and Franklin are all solid bowlers, but there is no spearhead. Those three could rip the heart out of sides after Bond knocked off the heads, but because they have no bowlers that oppositions fear, it makes their job so much harder. Add Bond to the side I mentioned above in place of Jeetan Patel, and that is a side that could beat anyone on their day
Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #462
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
If you had Shane Bond you would be top 5 in the world.

Martin, O'Brien and Franklin are all solid bowlers, but there is no spearhead. Those three could rip the heart out of sides after Bond knocked off the heads, but because they have no bowlers that oppositions fear, it makes their job so much harder. Add Bond to the side I mentioned above in place of Jeetan Patel, and that is a side that could beat anyone on their day
exactly.

frankly, i'm also never, ever going to forgive john bracewell. with very little change in personnel our team suddenly became disgraceful. there's only one explanation in my books...
Old 04-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #463
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
exactly.

frankly, i'm also never, ever going to forgive john bracewell. with very little change in personnel our team suddenly became disgraceful. there's only one explanation in my books...
true.

Is Jesse Ryder the new Craig McMillan? Capable of destroying any attack in the world (though some days just doesn't turn up), and takes huge wickets and great moments.

In an ideal world, Vettori would bat 8. No question. But I don't see any of their openers having any consistency. More often than not, Vetorri will score 20-odd, often 30-odd. That's what they need at the moment. Being 3-16 like they have been the last few tests means that if both ryder and taylor don't fire, they will be bundled out for under 150.

If they can find an opener good enough to be dependable, not spectacular (Guptil is too flashy) and they can string together 50 run opening stands, it makes it a hell of a lot easier on the middle order, and they could score 600 on any attack around.

That's my reasoning for Vettori. You may have better batsmen, but not more reliable and consistant ones.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #464
45:33

Agree with most of that. It's a shame about New Zealand, in theory they should be a pretty good side, they just never seem able to put it all together on a consistent basis.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vettori open. I think he'd be exposed though.

Shame about Bond. I think he averages(ed) something like 19 against us.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #465
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Agree with most of that. It's a shame about New Zealand, in theory they should be a pretty good side, they just never seem able to put it all together on a consistent basis.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vettori open. I think he'd be exposed though.

Shame about Bond. I think he averages(ed) something like 19 against us.
Yeah. bond was a top top bowler.

I think the main thing with Vettori is that its worth trying. He is making his 30 every innings, but its wasted down low. They are either already written off, or he is following hundreds from taylor, ryder and mccullum.

He is probably their most consistant, in that he will score runs more often than not. The other thing too, is that if he fails, what does it matter? You only lose a guy who would normally be at number 8, and its not like they have had any half decent opening partnerships in, well months.

If Vettori can produce the same form he does at number 8, they will rack up 50 partnerships fairly regularly for the first wicket, and it gives Taylor and Ryder breathing space, because if they fail, NZ typically score less than 150

Tags
cricket, world cup