The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Uh oez! :(

I'm satisfied with keeping the English to 425, and Onions is actually a decent batsman, for Englands standards he could become an all-roundaah!!!!

WHO ARE YA
PHIL HUGHES?? - WHAT A LOAD OF SHIT!!!
TYPICAL COCKY AUSSIES

ONIONS IS BETTER THAN PHIL HUGHES AT BATTING AND BOWLING

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ENGLAND
ENGLAND
ENGLAND

anderson_2.jpg

KINIGHTHOOD FOR THE LEGEND

:lmao:

If you don't manage to drop the bundle from here on in, you might actually enjoy some success at the second most iconic ground in the world, your home ground, which ironically you have a shit record at.

the cricket is so fucking boring but the english guys covering it for the abc /bbc coverage late at night are in some inane ways quite hillarious.

the guy was giving a blow by blow description of eating some womans brownies that she sent in and counting the number of lightglobes that were lit in the lights at Lords.

got me off to sleep beautifully

Ah, the arrogance of the Poms. :wink:

Yes, I admit, Australia are playing very poorly. We need Shaun Tait! And Brett Lee's injury isn't helping much.

im here.

It would be VERY interesting if the Flintoff no-ball was called for the Katich wicket, and Strauss actually had a decent and fair bone in his body and said to the umpires there was a t least a smidgen of doubt that he caught the ball cleanly.

I have played a lot of cricket, and you know exactly when you have taken a clean catch or not. He would have known exactly what happened.

Ponting (if he was a decent captain, which he sin't) should go into the press conference and say

"Im not naming names, or talking about any specific situation, let me make that quite clear: Anyone who plays test cricket, especially a test captain from any country who values traditions and prides itself on gentlemanly behaviour, who claims a catch that is clearly not out should be relieved of their position. Any cricketer who does not have the decency or the sportsmanship to say to the umpire that they are not sure if the catch was clean, and that maybe the umpire should check with the video should be severely reprimanded.

Then after the test he should call a press conference asking for Strauss' resignation as captain for his blatant disregard of the agreement struck before the series to not claim catches that weren't out.

Strauss is a grade A cunt.

I really hope Clarke and Haddin knock these runs off and stick it fair up you bunch of cheating, gloating, whinging sack-of-shit cuntburgers. If cheating is the only way you can ensure a win, have th ashes. I'm much happier if we lose on those terms, take the high road and survive with our dignity.

Fuck you England. Fuck the Queen. Fuck everything about you. We convicts and criminals could teach you about decency and fair play. I should think the English press will have a field day, as they despise anything that chalenges their claim to the moral and just elders of cricket.

1. M. Hayden (103) (bat - 8625 runs @ 50.73)
2. A. Morris (46) (bat - 3533 runs @ 46.48)
3. D. Bradman (70) (bat - 6996 runs @ 99.94)
4. G. Chappell (87) (bat - 7110 runs @ 53.86, bowl - 47 wickets @ 40.70)
5. S. McCabe (39) (bat - 2748 runs @ 48.21, bowl - 36 wickets @ 42.86)
6. S. Waugh (c) (168) (bat - 10927 runs @ 51.06, bowl - 92 wickets @ 37.44)
7. A. Gilchrist (wk) (96) (bat - 5570 runs @ 47.60, wk - 379 catches 37 stumpings)
8. K. Miller (55) (bat - 2958 runs @ 37.97, bowl - 170 wickets @ 22.97)
9. S. Warne (145) (bat - 3154 runs @ 17.52, bowl - 708 wickets @ 25.41)
10. D. Lillee (70) (bowl - 355 wickets at 23.92)
11. G. Mcgrath (124) (bowl - 567 wickets @ 21.64)

12. A. Border (156) (bat 11,174 runs @ 50.56, bowl - 39 wickets @ 39.10)

Coach - Bob Simpson

Hayden for his sheer dominance of all modern attacks. His record as an opener may never be equalled.
Morris for his dominance of England and his genuine class.
Bradman for very very obvious reasons.
Chappell for his record, standing out in a brilliant side. A ruthless captain and batsman.
McCabe for his handling of leg-theory bowling. One of the finest batsmen ever, overshadowed by his contemporary, Bradman.
Waugh as Australia's most ruthless run-getter under pressure, and argueably our greatest ever Captain. Adds a fifth genuine bowler in his prime.
Gilchrist as our finest ever wicket-keeper batsman, with a record far surpassing all other contenders.
Miller with a phenominal record for an allrounder, with a batting average close to double his bowling average.
Warne the world's greatest ever spinner.
Lillee, Australia's most storied fast bowler.
Mcgrath, argueably our greatest and most professional bowler.

Border, unfortunate to not crack a spot in this team. McCabe holds his spot as a batsman with greater potential, who played in a time where it was impossible to play 156 tests. Waugh holds his spot over Border as a genuine all-rounder, and a batsman who was argueably more reliable in pressure situations.

2 hours until ashes!!!!

nice side, had to laugh at the luxury of having keith miller at 8 :lol:

Matthew Hayden
Victor Trumper, 3163 @ 39, 8 @ 39
Don Bradman
Greg Chappell
Allan Border
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Keith Miller
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

12. Jeff Thompson

C. Bob Simpson

Richie Benaud, Stan McCabe, Ray Lindwall, and many more to score, cut oranges, put the cones out...

Hayden, brute strength, could hold back and build, or just launch into it, one of the few who could mistime a shot and still see it sail over the boundary
Trumper, the man died 94 years ago and is still admired
Bradman, the greatest sportsman of all time
Chappell, finished with an outstanding average, debut proved his worth
Border, took Australia from nothing to everything and still averaged over 50
Waugh, the "guts", the "determination", the rag, the sledging, the man
Gilchrist, revolutionised cricket
Miller, we're still trying to find Mk II 50 years on
Warne, the greatest spinner to have ever played, don't even start me on the Murali comparisons
Lillee, just about first picked
McGrath, mechanical and brilliant

Thompson as 12th man because i can, in case McGrath steps on a cricket ball

Australia's finest | All-time XIs | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com

hmm, some differences, but on the whole we were pretty close to the experts!

1 Victor Trumper
Trumper was the prototype of an expressive Australian batsmanship based on boldness, instinct and natural talent. By his modesty and courtesy, in an age that valued such qualities, he also made a hero to rally round. Gideon Haigh

2 Arthur Morris
Arthur Morris was well organised and serene at the crease, and from those twin centuries he made on NSW debut when aged 18 through his prolific Test match seasons and tours, he was the epitome of self-assuredness and unflappability. Don Bradman's instant support for him never wavered, and Morris' crowning moment was probably when he topped the figures on that memorable 1948 tour of England. David Frith

3 Don Bradman
Bradman's selection is axiomatic, and of course, has to refer to his stats because he dominated cricket in a way for which there is no comparison in any other sport, with the possible exception of Walter Lindrum in billiards and snooker. His cricket allowed him to become part of the fabric of Australian life - symbolised by the ABC's PO Box number of 9994 - in a way unmatched by any other individual. Warwick Franks

4 Greg Chappell
The remarkable Ricky Ponting has clouded the issue, but Greg Chappell remains the supreme Australian batsman since the retirement of Neil Harvey in the 60s. Chappell was a cricketing aristocrat, tall and commanding. But whatever his stature at the crease it was his performances at the wicket that raised him to immortality. In 1979 he hit SuperTest centuries in Trinidad and Guyana and 431 runs in four internationals at 61.57 against one of the greatest fast bowling attacks ever assembled in Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Colin Croft, Joel Garner and Wayne Daniel. No batsman in half a century could equal or eclipse this achievement. Phil Wilkins

5 Allan Border
He's never ever received the appropriate recognition, not only for what he achieved in Australian cricket, but for Australian cricket. It's 25 years in December since he was appointed captain and the sustained success of Australia over the past two decades or so is the direct result of his bravery, commitment and leadership. Mike Coward

6 Keith Miller
This country's finest and most flamboyant allrounder, Miller is just one of three Australians, with Shane Warne and Richie Benaud, to have scored more than 2000 runs and taken over 100 wickets. He batted mostly at No. 5, where he averaged 41.98 and scored five of his seven centuries. Malcolm Conn

7 Adam Gilchrist
How often in history has the most feared batsmen in a line-up come in at No. 7? Adam Gilchrist did. In a time when cricket was in danger of being routinised and industrialised, he played a hearty, heady, seemingly carefree brand that mocked convention, never looking other than excited to be out there. Gideon Haigh

8 Shane Warne
The boy with the bullet-train flipper grew up and became master of bluster, capable of derailing the best-set batsmen with balls spinning a mile or a millimetre. You'd pick both Warnes if you could. Christian Ryan

9 Bill O'Reilly
His fast legspin and hell-or-high-water attitude would make him the perfect companion for Shane Warne, whose coming he predicted but narrowly missed. However, the main reason for choosing Tiger is the thought of bumping into him in the afterlife. Peter Roebuck

10 Dennis Lillee
Dennis Lillee is the most excitingly hostile Australian fast bowler I've seen. His combination of pace, swing and intimidation was always threatening, and the crowd's rapture for him played out with the chant of "Lilleee, Lilleee". From wild, rawboned days as a genuinely fast bowler through back injuries to a more controlled, scheming and theatrical cricketer, Lillee was a consistent wicket taker, and much-feared opponent. Jim Maxwell

11 Glenn McGrath
McGrath is an automatic selection not only for his 563 Test wickets at 21.64, his inescapable line and length and his steepling bounce, but for his aura. It was fun to see him target the opposition's best batsman, get into his head, then follow a simple plan for success until the batsman succumbed. He also did a superb impression of a teapot when things weren't going well. Chloe Saltau

12th man Ricky Ponting

I actually think either of our teams are more balanced.

Picking Miller at 6 hampers your batting, with a guy averaging less than 40. He is an amazing 8, and has as good a fast bowling record as anyone AUS have produced. O'Reilly is a good selection, and if Warne never existed, would be an auto pick. I just think the bowling in either of our teams negates the need for a second spinner. OIur bowling and batting are stronger and more balanced than that side

Well that's what I would have thought. I was pretty damn surprised to see the O'Reilly selected, I mean put it this way -- if this team was able to play, that'd be the squad you'd play in the subcontinent and in Sydney. Interesting to see the readers picked him too. But I think our squads are both pretty solid. I like the fact we have Miller at eight as well. That the readers didn't pick Chappell is a bit odd. Maybe they're still bitter over the underarm incident.

See this?

In 1979 he hit SuperTest centuries in Trinidad and Guyana and 431 runs in four internationals at 61.57 against one of the greatest fast bowling attacks ever assembled in Andy Roberts, Michael Holding, Colin Croft, Joel Garner and Wayne Daniel. No batsman in half a century could equal or eclipse this achievement.

Did not know that.

I'd love to meet Gideon Haigh. We'd chat for hours I reckon.

They're doing every test nation by the way, on cricinfo. It's going to take forever but I can't wait. They update it every six or seven days.

I am gutted. This is a terrible day. I can't say that I completely shattered, I like seeing a good result for cricket, but wow. To crumble like that. Clarke had a brain fade. Johnson made his fourth fifty. But his in the side to bat, and he's bowling terribly. I'll tell you what, I will miss Flintoff as a player. Great to watch him bowl. Let's hope these are just rumours that he's retiring now. Swann's a nothing bowler. So was Giles. Bopara's useless. Onions could not have looked less threatening and should go back to failing to bowl out grade cricketers in Newcastle. Haddin inherits the term iron gloves. Rudi Koertzen should have just umpired his last test. They got jeered, and deservedly so.

:sigh:

Enjoy the win. I just think it's pathetic that you're the only team in the entire world to have a three-quarters-of-a-century drought... at your own home ground.

Excellent bowling performance this morning and a thoroughly deserved test victory. Couple of dodgy decisions by the umpires but nevertheless after australia dominated in cardiff it was important that england fought back. flintoff in that sort of bowling form is almost unplayable.

KP is worryingly out of form and shape and needs to be dropped for a test maybe so he can rest although there's rumours he'll be out for series :|

michael clarkes immense century put the rest of the aussie batsman to shame.

i thought bopara might have been able to make the step up in this series but obviously not. he needs a kick up the arse. I don't want to see bell back but that could well happen after bopara's lazy performances.

WHO ARE YA?
WHO ARE YA?

ENG-GER-LAND
ENG-GER-LAND
ENG-GER-LAND

THERES ONLY ONE FREDDIE FLINTOFF
ONE GRAHAM SWANN

WALKING ALONG
SINGING THIS SONG

WALKING IN AN ENGLAND WONDERLAND

------------------------

AND DAN SMEE
dont start about decency/honesty. Ponting is as bad as Strauss. The AUS/IND series proved that!

WHO ARE YA ?
WHO ARE YA?

Ooooh
_46088601_clarke_bowled_pa766.jpg

WAAAHEEEY!
_46088633_swann_jumps_getty766.jpg

_46088932_fred_siddle_pa766.jpg

I agree, Ponting is as bad as Strauss, but we all agree that Ponting is a good for nothing scumbag.

Strauss is at the helm of crickets oldest, and most storied nation. A nation that values sportsmanship and honour. I agree that Australia didn't deserve to win, they bowled woefully, and the batting in the first innings was Z class.

I would be worried if I was England that we only fell 100 runs short given that

- Aus lost 6 wickets hooking in the first innings
- They batting abysmally all first innings
- Ponting is no longer playing at his least favourite ground in world cricket
- Lee and Clark are coming back next test
- 3 dismissals were blatantly not out in our second innings, and I would put my house on us scoring those 100 runs is we were given Hughes, katich and Hussey back to score them
- Flintoff is just about dead on his knee
- PIEterson is just about dead on his archilles
- You are cheating cunts (as is Ponting, but he didn't cheat in THIS test)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom