The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!! - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM   #286
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Why were "PuP" and "RoY" running around giggling and pinching each other on the arse all day......where was their concentration and commitment...
Clarke can't do anything right can he :P

And that ton yesterday, I don't know why he is there?

I find it rediculous that anyone could question the committment and concentration of two test cricketers. For a start, Ian Healy will tell you, human beings have around 45 minutes of pure concentration in them a day. Havingt a muck around between overs is a good way to relieve tension and relax for the game.

Also, anyone who has ever played the game of cricket knows that this sort of thing is good for team spirit, and creating a relaxed atmosphere.

Finally, if everyone on the field was as intense and petulant as Ricky Ponting, we wouldn't have come within a bull's roar of taking any SA wickets.

I think you need to lay off Clarke a bit. He's made 10 more test hundreds than you or I ever will. He is a great character for the game, and is averaging a tick under 50 (and has been rising all year).

Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #287
Refugee

Local Time: 10:07 AM
i thought clarke did ok

he usually bats well with the tail and coming in at #5 thats a good skill to have

Problem is this test is pretty much meaningless

AUS will win easily as SA are struggling and are a batsman down now

The real action begins in the South Africa rematch series in a few months!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #288
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
The Aussie media shits me. They could give a bit more focus to the significance of this victory to South Africa, not to the horrendous downfall of Australia.
The Queensland media was borderline hysterical. After the Boxing Day Test was done, the bimbo host of Channel 7's 4:30pm QLD news just turned to the sports guy and asked "how did we lose?!"

I couldn't stop laughing.

Anyway, barring another miraculous comeback by South Africa, I think this third Test will crawl to a draw. Then in the subsequent series in South Africa, Australia's going to get fucking rolled by a clearly superior team who are absolutely intimidating on home soil.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #289
ONE
love, blood, life

^ amen to that. Massive shake-ups needed. Hilditch is the first to go. When Hayden is in a position where he should be dropped, he was walking his dog on the beach instead of watching the first hour of play.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #290
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:37 AM
atm RSA 5/217, fantastic throw by Johnson to get (De Villiers was it?) out. McDonald has got his first wicket. So overall Aus are doing decently.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 AM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post

I find it rediculous that anyone could question the committment and concentration of two test cricketers. For a start, Ian Healy will tell you, human beings have around 45 minutes of pure concentration in them a day. Havingt a muck around between overs is a good way to relieve tension and relax for the game.

Also, anyone who has ever played the game of cricket knows that this sort of thing is good for team spirit, and creating a relaxed atmosphere.

Finally, if everyone on the field was as intense and petulant as Ricky Ponting, we wouldn't have come within a bull's roar of taking any SA wickets.

I think you need to lay off Clarke a bit. He's made 10 more test hundreds than you or I ever will. He is a great character for the game, and is averaging a tick under 50 (and has been rising all year).
I told ya, I'm still bitter that Clarke got into the XI in the first place ahead of proven guns Hodge and Bevo back about 5 years ago. Whether he is good or bad is irrelevant to me now. Yeah, I love watching Clarke fail, cause I don't like him. He's a hack who's had every opportunity to succeed in cricket while top state cricketers haven't had a glimpse (and he's been taught how to speak to the media - he can talk about anything without revealing anything at all. Lehmann was cool, he just said whatever the hell he wanted and you actually got an opinion out of him when he spoke), but as far as I'm concerned Clarke can stay in the team 'cause Oz has no one else who has been gifted the opportunities to succeed that he has had, so he is a successful cricketer. It would be laughable had he never succeeded.

The same applies to B Lee. He was given more chances than he should have had. He used to be a hack only chosen cause he was fast and cause Aussie could afford to pick one useless but marketable player cause they had the two best bowlers of all time in the side.

Aus will win his dead rubber. Smith's hand is well fucked.

So many empty seats.......
Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM   #292
Blue Crack Addict

You know who's an overrated hack? Andrew Symonds.

Clarke got a hundred, he's been one of the best Australian players in the series.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:05 AM   #293
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I told ya, I'm still bitter that Clarke got into the XI in the first place ahead of proven guns Hodge and Bevo back about 5 years ago. Whether he is good or bad is irrelevant to me now. Yeah, I love watching Clarke fail, cause I don't like him. He's a hack who's had every opportunity to succeed in cricket while top state cricketers haven't had a glimpse (and he's been taught how to speak to the media - he can talk about anything without revealing anything at all. Lehmann was cool, he just said whatever the hell he wanted and you actually got an opinion out of him when he spoke), but as far as I'm concerned Clarke can stay in the team 'cause Oz has no one else who has been gifted the opportunities to succeed that he has had, so he is a successful cricketer. It would be laughable had he never succeeded.

The same applies to B Lee. He was given more chances than he should have had. He used to be a hack only chosen cause he was fast and cause Aussie could afford to pick one useless but marketable player cause they had the two best bowlers of all time in the side.

150 on debut not good enough?

Gifted opportunities? you have to be joking right? Symonds played, what 11, 12 tests before he got a 50, and hed taken, maybe 10 wickets at that stage. How many opportunities are they gifting Hayden now.

I understand that you concede you are bitter, but this goes beyond a joke! Bevo was a proven failure in test cricket. He wrote his own death warrant by refusing to play as a genuine allrounder. They told him to work on his spin and hed play forever and he flatly said 'no im a batsman'. 5 years ago he had 2 years left, and you wont find a sane person in the world that would have said bring a guy in whos been a test failure for 2 years, or clarke. and we all saw what happened.

Hodge is a good state cricketer. Putting Clarke back in over Hodge was probably a 60-40 call, 60 to Clarke. Hodge may feel a little hard done by, but not even he could say they made the wrong decision. Fuck, I mean, he's the only one scoring consistant runs!

Clarke, what a hack. Dude, that is just pathetic.

I am bitter that the selectors ruined cassons career, but there comes a point where you need to let it go.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:22 AM   #294
Blue Crack Addict

Well, at least Australia did well to get them out and maintain a 100+ run lead.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #295
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:07 AM
Quote:
Hodge is a good state cricketer. Putting Clarke back in over Hodge was probably a 60-40 call, 60 to Clarke.

I'll probably eventually grow to respect Clarke ultimately anyway, like I did Lee, though at least Lee appears to have some character in the way he composes himself as a person and as a cricketer. Clarke seems like a robot. Good capataincy material though I suppose.....I'd still rather see Huss as next captain.

There's nothing more frustrating than watching a local fellow like Hodge, a guy you've followed for years compiling all these runs, waiting for his time time to come, meanwhile this favourtised upstart no-namer who hadn't really done anything of note for his state all of a sudden get a call-up for the national side....and he cracks a famous ton and there goes any hope you might've had of representing your nation.......if I were Hodge, I'd go and play for England or West Indies or someone...would kinda get fed up with being one of the best batsmen in the world and playing in front of crowds of 37 people all the time.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #296
Blue Crack Addict

Yep, Haydens out, bowled by Morkel and basically the same sort of reason, knocked the ball onto the stumps. Possibly his last ever innings?
Old 01-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #297
ONE
love, blood, life

^ should be. He bashed a few 4's, but you cant build a test career (or the rest of one) on that. He doesn't have the temperament to build a big innings anymore. Sad to see, but his time is up.

One day, id love to see Katich go on and make a huge test score (like his pura cup 300 last year, where he smashed 160 in a session)
Old 01-06-2009, 12:20 AM   #298
Blue Crack Addict

Same, Australia have declared about a while ago and Bollingers got a wicket now, Morne Morkel was in as a nightwatchman role and got out for a duck.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 AM   #299
45:33

Quote:
Not that I am saying you are wrong, but can I ask why Rogers over hughes?

Part of the problem with the Aussie team at the moment is the generational skip where we haven't been prepared to select young players (and we are paying for it with hussey out of form, given he had to wait until in his 30's before he got a crack).

He is very very young, but he definately has the stats to warrant a chance, and although I am fully aware that you can't make bold predictions about guys who have played less than 20 first class games, but the last few 20 year-olds we have picked for australia are Ponting and S Waugh. not bad cricketers, and maybe we need to be exposing some younger guys, rather than having someone like Rogers warming the seat for a few years for hughes.
For me it's more about achievements at a state level. Rogers has achieved more (not saying much, Hughes'll pass him) but it'd be criminal if Rogers has done all this hard work impressing selectors and is in contention but then gets bumped because there's a bloke years younger that they pick instead. Rogers deserves it more, I guess is how I feel.

Quote:

Completely agreeing with you on all counts here. I don't know what more he needs to do to make inte (what is your name mate??) drop this grudge he's got against Clarke. He now averages 50, and has been our best batsman this series in my eyes. Bats very well with the tail too. Couldn't see why you got riled up about Clark and Symonds either; as Dan's said it's part of cricket and is actually really beneficial. What's the alternative? Get grumpy and moody and not having a word spoke between teammates for the rest of the day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
The Queensland media was borderline hysterical. After the Boxing Day Test was done, the bimbo host of Channel 7's 4:30pm QLD news just turned to the sports guy and asked "how did we lose?!"

I couldn't stop laughing.

Anyway, barring another miraculous comeback by South Africa, I think this third Test will crawl to a draw. Then in the subsequent series in South Africa, Australia's going to get fucking rolled by a clearly superior team who are absolutely intimidating on home soil.

I wouldn't say fucking rolled... but I expect we'll be beaten. Not looking good for Smith though..

Quote:
^ amen to that. Massive shake-ups needed. Hilditch is the first to go. When Hayden is in a position where he should be dropped, he was walking his dog on the beach instead of watching the first hour of play.
Media blew that way out of proportion. Yeah, he should have been at the cricket watching the game he kind of presides over, but come on.

Quote:

He's not a hack. How was he going before he got brought into the side? Yeah he's been groomed, which will be annoying, but so would have Hodge.

Lee went from being a hack to being the best bowler in the world in 2007...

Quote:
I am bitter that the selectors ruined cassons career, but there comes a point where you need to let it go.
Still pissed about this, especially because there was nothing wrong with his debut. I hope Hilditch and his band of merry men get sacked, because they're fucked in the head. On a pitch renowned for spin that now has two pitch-length cracks on either side of the batsmen plus rough, won't the be bemoaning having a 'spinner' in the side who is actually incapable of turning the ball, unlike Krejza.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:31 AM   #300
45:33

Why in gods name did they open with Morkel. There was still over an hour till stumps.

Where's Peter Siddle? Get him up here, I wanna boof him!!

Tags
cricket, world cup