The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!! - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #271
45:33

Local Time: 11:27 PM
Watson is out injured for six months/

Well, that's it, South Africa has won the match and the series, winning their first series in Australia in their history - dating back to the 18/19 tour - and just their third victory over them overall. Fantastic scenes.

A triumph for so many people and for so many different reasons. They were exiled from cricket for almost a quarter of a century in protest of the apartheid system, and now they've come back, and will soon be the number one test team in the entire world. The players who have played so well here, Ntini, Duminy and Amla, would not have been able to play for the side at all earlier in their careers, and now they have an amazing victory.

Sensational for cricket, and geez there's interesting times ahead.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
Watson is out injured for six months/

Well, that's it, South Africa has won the match and the series, winning their first series in Australia in their history - dating back to the 18/19 tour - and just their third victory over them overall. Fantastic scenes.

A triumph for so many people and for so many different reasons. They were exiled from cricket for almost a quarter of a century in protest of the apartheid system, and now they've come back, and will soon be the number one test team in the entire world. The players who have played so well here, Ntini, Duminy and Amla, would not have been able to play for the side at all earlier in their careers, and now they have an amazing victory.

Sensational for cricket, and geez there's interesting times ahead.
Yeah.

Australia have come to the stage where players are gonna retire and new players will burst onto the scene.

But Aus will always be better than NZ.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #273
Refugee

Local Time: 01:27 AM

STEYN WAS IMMENSE

SO WAS DUMINY

SO WAS PONTING...but he is surrounded by some average players like Symonds
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 PM
yeah, i have to agree and say that Symonds is an overrated hack, he got out for a duck, he doesn't even do anything at all.

So RSA = #1

Ponting really deserved the hundred, but it was poor decision making that got him out.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #275

I'm writing an article on the series so far, I'm going to send it off to a few different sites and papers, etc. I'll post it later tonight or tomorrow when I'm finished.

A little ashamedly, I'm actually quite pleased with this result.

JP Duminy's career statistics:

2 matches
3 innings
217 runs
108.5 average

Cullinan eat your heart out.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:44 AM   #276
Vocal parasite

I think that was probably the best Boxing Day Test I've ever seen. The Duminy/Steyn ninth wicket partnership owned that game. I was out driving around the southeast Queensland countryside listening to the radio commentary that day, and it was magic.

I love the hysterical reaction by the Aussie media, completely unable to handle a series loss at home. Good. I hope many more losses are in their near future, as this over-confident team needs something to sort it out. Perhaps it would help if that twat Ponting were stripped of the captaincy, as it's clear he's getting desperate. His field placements and the way he used his bowlers were both utterly baffling.

And I can't believe Brett Lee played today. That could only have further aggravated his injury.

In any case, here's hoping South Africa whitewash Australia and go home victors in Sydney too.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 12-30-2008, 04:50 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:27 PM
Why were "PuP" and "RoY" running around giggling and pinching each other on the arse all day......where was their concentration and commitment...
Old 12-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #278
Refugee

It was funny listening to the commentatord on AUS tv - in the UK we had the coverage with Micheal Slater, Mark Taylor, Warne, Tony Greig and the legend that is Mark Nicholas - might be channel 9 in AUS

The AUSSIE commentators were desperate for a wicket and every appeal was accompanied with "oh, that must be out" lol
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #279

We're all on the same page about Ponting!! You would think that in a fourth innings where you desperately need wickets, you would open with your strike bowler, and that has been Mitchell Johnson in this series. we've only taken 24 wickets in two games, they've snared all 40..

The Aussie media shits me. They could give a bit more focus to the significance of this victory to South Africa, not to the horrendous downfall of Australia.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #280
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:27 PM
Quote:
We're all on the same page about Ponting!! You would think that in a fourth innings where you desperately need wickets, you would open with your strike bowler, and that has been Mitchell Johnson in this series. we've only taken 24 wickets in two games, they've snared all 40..

The Aussie media shits me. They could give a bit more focus to the significance of this victory to South Africa, not to the horrendous downfall of Australia.

There's been a fair bit about South Africa's achievement in The Age. It's a good achievement the victory, though the Aussies really have fallen quite dramatically. South Africa quite simply have a more talented pool of cricketers now.

South Africa have always been quite competitive though, always around the 2nd to 4th best test nations since they made their return in '94. They might have had an era as successfl as Windies (80's) and Aussies (95-07) had they boycott never happened.

I'm glad there haven't been too many of those cringeworthy self-congratulatory post-Apartheid tales.....the world should be well beyond all that kinda talk, and South Africa is still very much a country that has some of the most impenetrable class divisions in the world, it's just that the race factor is less important. South Africa is hardly a utopia since Apartheid ended.

I personally though Siddle bowled better than Johnson in the Melbourne test, and was without luck in the second innings. And great to see McDonalD, another Victorian make his debut, though it still doesn't compensate for the unforgivable absence of Hodge, in my truly honest but very biased opinion.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:23 PM   #281
Refugee

Happy New year to all the cricket fans

Here are my hopes for 09

England play well and start beating some 'proper' teams

Security issues in Pakistan are sorted and more teams start touring there

England to win 20-20 in England

Ashes to be a classic

Me to get into my Uni team and then play so well that one of the counties see me and offer me loads of money on the spot to play!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
There's been a fair bit about South Africa's achievement in The Age. It's a good achievement the victory, though the Aussies really have fallen quite dramatically. South Africa quite simply have a more talented pool of cricketers now.

South Africa have always been quite competitive though, always around the 2nd to 4th best test nations since they made their return in '94. They might have had an era as successfl as Windies (80's) and Aussies (95-07) had they boycott never happened.

I'm glad there haven't been too many of those cringeworthy self-congratulatory post-Apartheid tales.....the world should be well beyond all that kinda talk, and South Africa is still very much a country that has some of the most impenetrable class divisions in the world, it's just that the race factor is less important. South Africa is hardly a utopia since Apartheid ended.

I personally though Siddle bowled better than Johnson in the Melbourne test, and was without luck in the second innings. And great to see McDonalD, another Victorian make his debut, though it still doesn't compensate for the unforgivable absence of Hodge, in my truly honest but very biased opinion.
That explains it then. I've been reading the Herald Sun. I just think it should be heralded because three of the series best players so far, Amla, Ntini and Duminy wouldn't have been able to play in the past.

I thought Siddle bowled better as well myself, just a shame to see he couldn't gee himself up again like he did on day three. Now there's talk of dropping him cos the next game's a dead rubber.

Andrew Hilditch needs to go...

And now that 2008 is over, let's all mark down our teams of the year.

Graeme Smith (c)
Gautam Gambhir
Hashim Amla
Sachin Tendulkar
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
AB de Villiers
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (vc)
Mitchell Johnson
Dale Steyn
Ryan Sidebottom
Muttiah Muralitharan
12. Ricky Ponting

That's with Amla only just edging out Ponting. The inclusion of Tendulkar's a bit cliche, sure, but he's still worthy I feel, and Gambhir has become the test player India were so desperately hoping he would after impressing in the one-day arena. Smith had a tremendous year all round, barely putting a foot wrong, Chanderpaul is a mark of courage, heart and determination averaging 100 in a mediocre side and that's a testament to him. De Villiers grounded himself and turned consistent, MS Dhoni is a good keeper, a top batsman and also a good captain - something the Indians have struggled with over the years. Mitchell Johnson was the second best bowler in 2008, our best in India as well. Steyn needs no explanation, 72 or 74 wickets in a test year at 20 with a SR of 35. Unbelievable. Sidebottom had the second best average of any bowler this year and shouldn't be overlooked, while Murali obviously has to be in there, holding out Vettori for mine.

Here is the team I'd take into the sydney test:

Matthew Hayden (if he has to go then Chris Rogers, not Philip Hughes)
Simon Katich
Ricky Ponting
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Andrew McDonald
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Jason Krejza
Peter Siddle
Doug Bollinger
12. Nathan Hauritz

With Krejza in because he's one of the spinners in this country who can actually turn the ball.

And finally, I just want to COMMEND BANGLADESH. They've just played one of the greatest test matches of their history. They rolled Sri Lanka for under 300, then were rolled for under 200 themselves. The Sri Lankans then declared six down for about 400, leaving Bangladesh to chase 521 for victory. A lot of people would think it would be better to not play, and just hand Sri Lanka the victory. But the Lions batted extremely well, and were at one stage 6/403 before they lost their next four wickets for about 10. Their most talented player, Mohammad Ashraful, hit a ton, and they very nearly made history. So happy for them but also shattered they lost. Had they chased it down it would have been a world record by 103 runs. Only Murali stopped them really, who took his 22nd 10-wicket haul of his career.

Now, your teams of 08 people!!
Old 01-01-2009, 08:48 AM   #283
Refugee

Smith (c)
Sehwag
Ponting
Tendulkar
Pietersen
De Villiers
Dhoni
Steyn
Zaheer Khan
Ishant Sharma
Muralitharan

I think Sehwag is the most destructive player in test cricket - he showed England how you begin to chase down 400 odd.

Zaheer Khan is the best medium-fast in the world. He swings the ball both ways and is always so accurate. Destroyed Eng and Aus this year and has helped Ishant develop into the most promising bowler in the world. Ishant is only 20.

Gone are the days when India had no fast bowlers. Now they have loads, Pathan, Munaf Patel, Shreesanth and RP Singh to name a few.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:02 AM   #284

No Chanderpaul??

I thought Zaheer was great as well, but I don't agree with all the people singing Ishant's praises. Sure, he had a sensational year, but he wasn't good enough to warrant a selection in the best team of the year.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #285
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
That explains it then. I've been reading the Herald Sun. I just think it should be heralded because three of the series best players so far, Amla, Ntini and Duminy wouldn't have been able to play in the past.

I thought Siddle bowled better as well myself, just a shame to see he couldn't gee himself up again like he did on day three. Now there's talk of dropping him cos the next game's a dead rubber.

Andrew Hilditch needs to go...

And now that 2008 is over, let's all mark down our teams of the year.

Graeme Smith (c)
Gautam Gambhir
Hashim Amla
Sachin Tendulkar
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
AB de Villiers
Mahendra Singh Dhoni (vc)
Mitchell Johnson
Dale Steyn
Ryan Sidebottom
Muttiah Muralitharan
12. Ricky Ponting

That's with Amla only just edging out Ponting. The inclusion of Tendulkar's a bit cliche, sure, but he's still worthy I feel, and Gambhir has become the test player India were so desperately hoping he would after impressing in the one-day arena. Smith had a tremendous year all round, barely putting a foot wrong, Chanderpaul is a mark of courage, heart and determination averaging 100 in a mediocre side and that's a testament to him. De Villiers grounded himself and turned consistent, MS Dhoni is a good keeper, a top batsman and also a good captain - something the Indians have struggled with over the years. Mitchell Johnson was the second best bowler in 2008, our best in India as well. Steyn needs no explanation, 72 or 74 wickets in a test year at 20 with a SR of 35. Unbelievable. Sidebottom had the second best average of any bowler this year and shouldn't be overlooked, while Murali obviously has to be in there, holding out Vettori for mine.

Here is the team I'd take into the sydney test:

Matthew Hayden (if he has to go then Chris Rogers, not Philip Hughes)
Simon Katich
Ricky Ponting
Michael Hussey
Michael Clarke
Andrew McDonald
Brad Haddin
Mitchell Johnson
Jason Krejza
Peter Siddle
Doug Bollinger
12. Nathan Hauritz

With Krejza in because he's one of the spinners in this country who can actually turn the ball.

And finally, I just want to COMMEND BANGLADESH. They've just played one of the greatest test matches of their history. They rolled Sri Lanka for under 300, then were rolled for under 200 themselves. The Sri Lankans then declared six down for about 400, leaving Bangladesh to chase 521 for victory. A lot of people would think it would be better to not play, and just hand Sri Lanka the victory. But the Lions batted extremely well, and were at one stage 6/403 before they lost their next four wickets for about 10. Their most talented player, Mohammad Ashraful, hit a ton, and they very nearly made history. So happy for them but also shattered they lost. Had they chased it down it would have been a world record by 103 runs. Only Murali stopped them really, who took his 22nd 10-wicket haul of his career.

Now, your teams of 08 people!!
Not that I am saying you are wrong, but can I ask why Rogers over hughes?

Part of the problem with the Aussie team at the moment is the generational skip where we haven't been prepared to select young players (and we are paying for it with hussey out of form, given he had to wait until in his 30's before he got a crack).

He is very very young, but he definately has the stats to warrant a chance, and although I am fully aware that you can't make bold predictions about guys who have played less than 20 first class games, but the last few 20 year-olds we have picked for australia are Ponting and S Waugh. not bad cricketers, and maybe we need to be exposing some younger guys, rather than having someone like Rogers warming the seat for a few years for hughes.

Tags
cricket, world cup