The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lmao: I thought Onions was gonna do that.

I will say re Clark/Siddle batting 10/11, I prefer having Siddle at 11 to hold up an end. Both probably have the same run scoring capacity, but Clark will do it much quicker, and get out much quicker. If it's a case of digging in to get a batsman to 100, Id rather Siddle at the other end.

Fair call. Not usually how these things work though, I'm afraid. God I love Siddle. I never got in on the whole Merv Hughes "get him up here, I wanna boof him" saga, so hopefully Siddle stays on the scene.

We just got a massive new digital TV, complete with One HD. I was excited at this prospect. But then I discovered they only show shit cunt motor racing, like NASCAR, baseball, basketball - both much more boring than I thought - footy replays and IPL. and I watched possibly the worst 20/20 I've ever seen last night.

an anderson/onions spell will leave the aussies well caramelized
bit of swanny and freddie and phil hughes will turn into the present day merv hughes

:lmao: I thought Onions was gonna do that.

Fair call. Not usually how these things work though, I'm afraid. God I love Siddle. I never got in on the whole Merv Hughes "get him up here, I wanna boof him" saga, so hopefully Siddle stays on the scene.

We just got a massive new digital TV, complete with One HD. I was excited at this prospect. But then I discovered they only show shit cunt motor racing, like NASCAR, baseball, basketball - both much more boring than I thought - footy replays and IPL. and I watched possibly the worst 20/20 I've ever seen last night.

It's not usually the way things work because people are generally of the opinion that a bowler will last the same amount of time in either position. Glen McGrath proved that, while he was a terrible bat, he could stick around when needed to. He got Steve Waugh to countless centuries by being able to keep the ball out when needed.

Siddle fits that bill much more than Clark

Eng team, compete with nicknames for cardiff - if they make it a spin track then out goes oniony and in comes panesary

straussy (c)
cooky
bopary
pietersony
colly
priory (lol) (wk)
freddy
broady
swanny
andersony (best tailender ever, has never got a 0 in over 45 test innings now!)
oniony

NASCAR is the most boring thing ever, but Baseball is alright, and I've grown to fucking love Basketball in the last 2 years.

I think the squad is ok. It just reflects our lack of deph. We have 13 world beaters, and nothin else. In years gone by, we had 20 world beaters, and then about 20 ready to step in

Meanwhile, the rest of us breathe a sigh of relief and wish Ponting would hurry up and piss off.

an anderson/onions spell will leave the aussies well caramelized
bit of swanny and freddie and phil hughes will turn into the present day merv hughes

Ha! I'd wait a test or two before saying these things. you may look pretty silly....

Eng team, compete with nicknames for cardiff - if they make it a spin track then out goes oniony and in comes panesary

straussy (c)
cooky
bopary
pietersony
colly
priory (lol) (wk)
freddy
broady
swanny
andersony (best tailender ever, has never got a 0 in over 45 test innings now!)
oniony

Wouldn't have a problem if England put this team out. Windies wouldn't beat bangladesh away

NASCAR is the most boring thing ever, but Baseball is alright, and I've grown to fucking love Basketball in the last 2 years.

Basketball and Baseball are awesome. I love stat-driven games, and cricket definately is one of those. Nascar is horse-piss

Meanwhile, the rest of us breathe a sigh of relief and wish Ponting would hurry up and piss off.

Ponting is a cock, and the team would be better off without him. his awful captaincy create a negative net-worth to the side, in that his batting doesnt make up for the runs/wickets we lose due to his awful filed placings and bowling changes.

Ponting is a cock, and the team would be better off without him. his awful captaincy create a negative net-worth to the side, in that his batting doesnt make up for the runs/wickets we lose due to his awful filed placings and bowling changes.

I truly don't know how he's managed to hold onto the captaincy for so long. Can't stand it any time he gets his smarmy face in the media either - he's a shocking representative for the team. Then again, who would be a viable replacement as captain? I don't see much of the Aussie team as having a great deal of captaincy potential.

I truly don't know how he's managed to hold onto the captaincy for so long. Can't stand it any time he gets his smarmy face in the media either - he's a shocking representative for the team. Then again, who would be a viable replacement as captain? I don't see much of the Aussie team as having a great deal of captaincy potential.

a - because the selectors have never been able to admit they were wrong. He's like, only the 42nd captain we've ever had, whereas england change captain every 3 tests.

On point 2, Clarke and Haddin are both much more viable options. Clarke has been very succesful in ODI's, his performances rise, and he is an innovative captain who sets god fields etc. Haddin is the same, and comes with years of experience captaining NSW.

Either would be 100x better than Ponting

I'm a Ponting defender, I personally think the captain should also take on the role of selector, like they did a ew years back. Ponting seems to be thrust with players left right and centre whom he doesn't really know anything about (McDonald, Siddle, Hughes, North, Watson), let alone why they've been selected. These are his men he needs to marshall, so he should have some say in who they are.

Fair dinkum, why are England invading Wales to play their test matches. Already nicked Welsh players (Geraint and Simon Jones). English and Welsh boards should be split. Seperate countries.

I'm a Ponting defender, I personally think the captain should also take on the role of selector, like they did a ew years back. Ponting seems to be thrust with players left right and centre whom he doesn't really know anything about (McDonald, Siddle, Hughes, North, Watson), let alone why they've been selected. These are his men he needs to marshall, so he should have some say in who they are.

Fair dinkum, why are England invading Wales to play their test matches. Already nicked Welsh players (Geraint and Simon Jones). English and Welsh boards should be split. Seperate countries.

Surely is is the role of the captain to know about every player in the selection frame. When Steve Waugh was captain, he was predicting big things for a 17 year old Mitchell Johnson. The fact that Ponting knew nothing about Hughes (the hottest player in the Sheffield Shield) shows his ignorance and resistance to change. Ponting wants to turn the test side into an old mates club, where he just picks his buds like Symonds. So I dont think he can be excused for having players thrust on him, he has a duty to study the best players. Also, the fact that he has no say in selections proves the selectors dont trust or value his input. he is only there because they cant admit their mistake.

As for England poaching Welsh players, I can understand why they go an play for England. Wales couldn't scrape a side together to perform in division 7 of the world cup qualifiers. I agree it shouldn't be allowed to happen, but noone could blame the players.

The bigger travesty is Eoin Morgan from Ireland. 22 year old county star, always played well for Ireland, scored multiple 200's in the Intercontinental Cup against decent sides like UAE, Kenya etc. Now he's off to play for England. How do sides develop if the ICC lets this happen? Morgan wants to play test cricket, and so he should, he's good enough. The travesty is the Zimbabwe are wasting a spot, and should have their test status stripped. Give a spot to Ireland, who beat Pakistan and Zimbabwe and nearly beat England and SA in the alst world cup.

They could fill Bangladesh's schedule, and they could play off each other to develop and nurture better cricketers. Ireland have proven time and time again that they are the best associate nation, and deserve the step up more than Bangladesh did when they recieved it. I suppose the ICC won't want it because they can continue to poach Ireland's stars like Morgan and Ed Joyce.

Realistically, Ireland have a side capable of challenging most nations

They have solid opening bats (Porterfield, the captain has scored numerous ODI 100's), a good wicket keeper (Niall O'Brien who bats 4 for his county), solid spinners, some good allrounders, and quality bats who England poach. Also young Boyd Rankin who is a quick 21 (or so) year old who terrorises in county cricket.

I think there should be a division 2 of international test teams. It would make it more interesting. If test cricket is dying then upping the stakes could help. The bottom team in the Premier League would suffer relegation at the end of the year and the team 2nd from bottom would face a play off series v the team 2nd in div 1. They would play a best of 3, if all are drawnm keep playing tests until someone wins! The winner of div 1 gets promoted. The team bottom of Div 1 is replaced by a newcomer decided in a tournament elsewhere.

Obviously the teams wont get to play everyone in each division but if they are given an entry ranking, then perhaps some guaranteed fixtures are provided. e.g If ireland got promoted they would be granted the chance to play one of the big 4 from last season in a 3 match series such as india v ireland

I wouldnt mind if channel 5 (the least watched terrestrial channel in uk) grabs the div 1 highlights. There is plenty of money about in cricket and it gives the Div 1 teams hope to play test cricket.

Premier League
Aussies
england
india
pakistan
sri lanka
south africa
windies
new zealand
bangladesh

Div 1
Ireland
Afghanistan
Scotland
Kenya
Canada
Netherlands
UAE
Namibia
Zimbabwe

Each team will have to play 15 tests in the year. Someone else can create the formular to help decide the fixtures.

I think there should be a division 2 of international test teams. It would make it more interesting. If test cricket is dying then upping the stakes could help. The bottom team in the Premier League would suffer relegation at the end of the year and the team 2nd from bottom would face a play off series v the team 2nd in div 1. They would play a best of 3, if all are drawnm keep playing tests until someone wins! The winner of div 1 gets promoted. The team bottom of Div 1 is replaced by a newcomer decided in a tournament elsewhere.

Obviously the teams wont get to play everyone in each division but if they are given an entry ranking, then perhaps some guaranteed fixtures are provided. e.g If ireland got promoted they would be granted the chance to play one of the big 4 from last season in a 3 match series such as india v ireland

I wouldnt mind if channel 5 (the least watched terrestrial channel in uk) grabs the div 1 highlights. There is plenty of money about in cricket and it gives the Div 1 teams hope to play test cricket.

Premier League
Aussies
england
india
pakistan
sri lanka
south africa
windies
new zealand
bangladesh

Div 1
Ireland
Afghanistan
Scotland
Kenya
Canada
Netherlands
UAE
Namibia
Zimbabwe

Each team will have to play 15 tests in the year. Someone else can create the formular to help decide the fixtures.

I do like that idea, but the logistics of Tests may make it difficult.

The other thing you could do to to increase viewership is make sort of superteams.

It's not a new concept (think West Indies).

This could mean an African side (Kenya, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Uganda etc)

A middle-east/subcontinent side (Bangladesh, Afghanistan, UAE)

A European side (Netherlands, Denmark, Italy etc)

A non-English UK/Ireland team (Ireland, Scotland, Wales)

A pacific to SE Asia side (Fiji, PNG, Malaysia, Hong Kong)

An American team (Canada, US, Bermuda, Sth America)

That would give us

Australia
England
UK/Ireland
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Middle-East
SE Asia
West Indies
Sth Africa
New Zealand
Rest of Africa
Americas
Europe

that's 14 teams

This could be done by the original test playing nations playing as they do now, but incorporating series against one of the superteams every year. The superteams play 2 or 3 series at the end of each year, and the start of the year they play as individual nations as selection trials. If a nation dominates their supertest team, there will be provision for them to join the 8 elite sides. Long term plan is for 1 nation to emerge from each supertest team and become an elite side, giving 14 test playing nations (as it stands now that would be

Australia
India
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
West Indies
New Zealand
England
Sth Africa

plus

Ireland
Kenya
Bangladesh/Afghanistan
Canada
Malaysia
Netherlands

Giving 14 elite nations

The left overs could compete in a 2 series a year ROW team.

The reason this wouldnt work now is that there isn't sufficient infrastructure in places like afghanistan or netherlands to form eleite teams, even though cricket is prominent, and they produce quality players like Ryan ten Doeschaat.

That is my 25 year plan for test cricket to thrive, expand and beat off 2020 shit

This is old news I know, but why Tait lost his Cricket Aus contract I will never know.

I guess so. A real talent though.

And congrats to the Deccan Chargers on their IPL title victory! :up: :up: :up:

On the aussie thread, it was a joke
It is serious that some folk are getting battered by some racists
But i'm sure for 90% of the time, Australia is like Ramsey Street

AND

I say South Africa to win the 20-20

Ireland... dark horse.

Ok, Ireland will beat Bangladesh and make it to round 2, where they will record one upset win, and possibly scrape into the semis.

Australia will bow out in the semis

England won't make the semis, even though they poached Irelands best player.

India to win.

Brett Lee is bowling quick again. Good sign. Johnson, Lee, Clark and Siddle is a fierce bowling attack, and the England pumpers will struggle.

Haddin will relish playing with the tiny boundaries in england, as will Phil Hughes, because the way he cuts and drives, they could have everyone on the fence and not be able to stop the tracer bullet he fires at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom