The Official Cricket '07/'08 thread!! - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #211
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:58 PM
Australia, what a bunch of hacks we are. I hope we get whitewashed 3-nil now....get rid of those wankers Symonds, Hayden, Haddin (although he's played well- but is a mere purple patch) and that eternally useless turd Clarke and throw Hodgey in, and we'll start winning again.

Old 12-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #212
Refugee

Local Time: 05:58 PM
SOuth Africa were amazing

i stayed up and watched to make sure they did it!

England on the other hand are facing a huge defeat v india

Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 AM   #213
45:33

Local Time: 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intedomine View Post
Australia, what a bunch of hacks we are. I hope we get whitewashed 3-nil now....get rid of those wankers Symonds, Hayden, Haddin (although he's played well- but is a mere purple patch) and that eternally useless turd Clarke and throw Hodgey in, and we'll start winning again.

Symonds played quite well and is getting back to form, had two very useful innings and should have been thrown the ball. Hayden copped an astounding decision in the first innings (which, off on a tangent, reminds I need to say I do not support the player referral system, I'm a traditionalist, you take the good with the bad, 200 years of cricket has worked without it) and can still play shots. You've got to be kidding about Haddin, his detractors were extremely harsh, and this is no purple patch mate... have you not seen his first-class form? Becoming a good keeper, is a great bat, and is certainly well above the other options in this country. 'Eternally useless turd' is ridiculous, he made a fifty in the game, scored a ton and 98 against New Zealand, so I have no idea where you're getting that from. I agree on Hodgey though, never should have been dropped (he was averaging 58 and hit a double century against South Africa).

What needs to happen is we need to keep playing Krejza consistently, - he bowled well and without a lot of luck - Ponting needs a rest, Symonds shouldn't have come back in. Brett Lee is the big problem, in my opinion the biggest problem we have. You've outlined essentially four batsmen as the problem for us. They weren't the problem, most of the top order copped good balls and the tail batted extremely well - 162 runs between them - and had the top order fired we would have at the least drawn the test. Our problem was the bowling, leaving aside Mitchell Johnson, who was superb. We took 14 wickets, and he took 11. Krejza, Siddle and Lee all got one each. That is a terrible return for Lee, who is a strike bowler and should be performing much better. It's sad to watch, hopefully he can fix whatever is wrong, I'm convinced something is (I was one of the few who thought he didn't bowl that well against New Zealand). Krejza produced good balls, but needs to be persisted with. Siddle was never going to do much.

Apart from that, South Africa played extremely well, and remember this is one of the best teams we've played recently. All the batsmen are in relatively good form, and their bowlers are pretty decent.

I really didn't expect to write that much. I got in the zone. Please let me know what your problem with Clarke is. Are you jealous?
Old 12-22-2008, 02:45 AM   #214
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The top order (except Katich) were terrible. I hate to say it, but I do think Hayden should retire before the Ashes next year. However, I was very impressed by Haddin.

I'm somewhat suprised Krejza has been dropped for Hauritz. I really thought they were going to back him for the long term spinners position. Hilfenhaus or Watson should replace Siddle, and Lee and Johnson should retain their places. Lee didn't get the best return, but he was tidy and bowled well without a great deal of luck. Dropping Lee would just be stupid.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series if the WACA Test is an indication of what to expect.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 AM   #215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrobat Angel View Post
The top order (except Katich) were terrible. I hate to say it, but I do think Hayden should retire before the Ashes next year. However, I was very impressed by Haddin.

I'm somewhat suprised Krejza has been dropped for Hauritz. I really thought they were going to back him for the long term spinners position. Hilfenhaus or Watson should replace Siddle, and Lee and Johnson should retain their places. Lee didn't get the best return, but he was tidy and bowled well without a great deal of luck. Dropping Lee would just be stupid.

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series if the WACA Test is an indication of what to expect.
I didn't know Krejza had been dropped... This my what's pissing me off at the moment. Stick with the kid ffs. Warne had shit games too.

I forgot to add that.. it was a great game!!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #216
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I'll always be bitter about Clarke because at no point during his first-class career was he better than Hodge. Hodge would still be a better contributor to the side than Clarke.

I'd say the bats were a problem. The current batting line up is not as strong as South Africa's, but we do have the talent going around domestically to match them. Their bowlers are miles ahead of us, we need a stronger batting line up to compensate for this, and NOT Watson, who has done bugger all.

It is not essential that we have a spinner at all, now that MacGill has retired. We'd be best playing 3 quicks, namely Bracken (who is still ridiculously awesome at first-class level), Johnson and Lee, Symonds (or White) and Clarke (if we must continue to select him cause his Dad's paying off the selectors or whatever) can be used for spin if spin is necessary. Swap Siddle for Bracken, Krejza for Hodge, and see what happens in Melbourne.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #217
Refugee

I think AUS will lose home and away to South Africa and to england in ashes

Ponting isn't as great as he used to be
Old 12-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #218
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBL_04 View Post
I didn't know Krejza had been dropped... This my what's pissing me off at the moment. Stick with the kid ffs. Warne had shit games too.

I forgot to add that.. it was a great game!!
Krejza is no good though. Can't Ave 50 at first class level and be a test bowler. Took some wickets on a dust bowl in India and also got smashed. 1-204 at the WACA was about right...

Casson was realy hard done by not to go to India, and his performances since (although injured a lot of the time) have resembled a guy who has had his confidence decimated by a selection panel who offered him no form of decent explanation.

Hayden is done. Sad to see it happen, but he is cooked. If he can't out-muscle an attack, he doesn't want to know about batting seriously.

Haddin is a pure talent. Anyone suggesting otherwise knows very little about cricket. He makes batting look as easy as anyone since Mark Waugh.

And those suggesting to drop Clarke obviously didn't watch the series in India or against NZ. couple of 100's, 90's. seriously... seriously?!?!!

Siddle is a talent, and would feel hard done by to be dropped. Didn't take the wickets, but he sure has the goods.

Australias problems lie in the fact that Ponting is, and always has been a very ordinary captain. He inherited one of the greatest sides ever from Waugh, lost the ashes with that team, and now Warne and McGrath have gone, he has no inspiration, or creativity in field placings, bowling changes etc. He is too negative and petulant. And it is destroying his batting.

Katich has impressed me greatly, and will continue to score buckets of runs

Hussey is in a bad spell, but noone can deny he is class and will emerge from it well.

Lee the same as Hussey - through the marriage break-up and media scrutiny in India, I expect him to bounce back.

Any more? oh Johnson. I will gladly eat my words. I have never seen a test bowler take so many wickets with bad balls. Never. People not moving their feet, flapping at juicy half-volleys 12inches outside off stump. Atrocious. He had a great game in Perth. let's hope he keeps it up.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 PM   #219
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I'll always be bitter about Clarke because at no point during his first-class career was he better than Hodge. Hodge would still be a better contributor to the side than Clarke.

I'd say the bats were a problem. The current batting line up is not as strong as South Africa's, but we do have the talent going around domestically to match them. Their bowlers are miles ahead of us, we need a stronger batting line up to compensate for this, and NOT Watson, who has done bugger all.

It is not essential that we have a spinner at all, now that MacGill has retired. We'd be best playing 3 quicks, namely Bracken (who is still ridiculously awesome at first-class level), Johnson and Lee, Symonds (or White) and Clarke (if we must continue to select him cause his Dad's paying off the selectors or whatever) can be used for spin if spin is necessary. Swap Siddle for Bracken, Krejza for Hodge, and see what happens in Melbourne.
Watson is useless. Absolutely.

About hodge though, he is a bit of a Lehman. Great first-class cricketer, but test cricket (apart from 1 innings) is beyond him. Clarke was picked for more than his stats (leadership potential among them).

Hodge is the dumbest cricketer around, and I wouldn't trust him to captain the rooty hill under 6's.

If selectors were picking people entirely on stats, we would have Michael klinger in the team. While he has had a great season, there is no way he should be in there. Teams have never been picked on stats alone, and so they shouldn't.

I find it hilarious someone could say a guy averaging nearly 50 doesn't deserve his spot.

PS Dirk Nannes is a gun, and its a crime he isn;t considered for higher honours
Old 12-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #220
Blue Crack Supplier

Symonds shouldn't still be playing cricket. What's he done internationally or domestically this season?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 AM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadForIt View Post
I think AUS will lose home and away to South Africa and to england in ashes

Ponting isn't as great as he used to be
I'll reply to the rest later, but wanted to say here that 1. yes our backs are against the wall now, 2. with their advantage they probably will, 3. you are absolutely joking, we will still beat England and 4. he needs a rest and is injured
Old 12-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #222
Blue Crack Supplier

Ponting is a turd, I hope he picks up a career ending injury.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:27 AM   #223
ONE
love, blood, life

As soon as Ponting's captaincy came under (deserved) fire,his batting has been decimated. Give the c to Clarke and let him concentrate or scoring bags of runs, rather than playing the bog standard cricket he is atm... ps, what kind of international captain comes out after a test loss, labels half his side passengers, whinges about the pitch, and god knows what else, when he scored 0 and 32, and captained like a spoilt little brat
Old 12-23-2008, 08:34 AM   #224
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post

About hodge though, he is a bit of a Lehman. Great first-class cricketer, but test cricket (apart from 1 innings) is beyond him. Clarke was picked for more than his stats (leadership potential among them).

Hodge is the dumbest cricketer around, and I wouldn't trust him to captain the rooty hill under 6's.
Bollocks man. What leadership has Clarke ever exhibited? When has he even needed to exhibit leadership? It's obvious that from a young age, his family must've known someone close to the Aussie selectors or in the ACB and he was ushered into the spotlight without having to prove himself. Meanwhile, experienced, intelligent and proven performers (Hodge, Mike Hussey, Katich and Lehmann for periods) were completely ignored.

I find it hard to judge Hodge as incapable of being a test player based on a mere 6 tests, and probably not even 10 innings. He did hit a double hundred against a talented South African bowling attack.

Clarke was able to remain relevant to selectors without doing anything remarkable because McGrath, Ponting, Warnie and Gilly powered the Australian team to constant victories. They were able to favour the "Pup" during this time, under the guise of "future investment", because there was little threat of Australia losing, due to them having the greatest keeper-batsman, one of the top five batsmen of all time, arguably the best pace bowler of all time and one of the best leggies of all time.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #225
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Bollocks man. What leadership has Clarke ever exhibited? When has he even needed to exhibit leadership? It's obvious that from a young age, his family must've known someone close to the Aussie selectors or in the ACB and he was ushered into the spotlight without having to prove himself. Meanwhile, experienced, intelligent and proven performers (Hodge, Mike Hussey, Katich and Lehmann for periods) were completely ignored.

I find it hard to judge Hodge as incapable of being a test player based on a mere 6 tests, and probably not even 10 innings. He did hit a double hundred against a talented South African bowling attack.

Clarke was able to remain relevant to selectors without doing anything remarkable because McGrath, Ponting, Warnie and Gilly powered the Australian team to constant victories. They were able to favour the "Pup" during this time, under the guise of "future investment", because there was little threat of Australia losing, due to them having the greatest keeper-batsman, one of the top five batsmen of all time, arguably the best pace bowler of all time and one of the best leggies of all time.
Being undefeated captain in 7 ODIs and 3 20-20 games, as well as captaining the Australian u19's to a world cup win at the age of 17? no leadership at all. Also, he has been the best bat (other than Katich) in the aussie team in the last 12 months. The guy has more talent than hodge does in his little finger.

He has shown leadership by being an undeafeated captain of a team Ponting is running into the ground. He is fresh, leads by example, and has an amazing cricket brain. I don't think hodge can spell cricket. Have you heard the guy speak? it's like listening to Billy Slater.

Being a disgruntled Victorian fan is one thing, but bashing one of the only players actually performing in the side for no reason is just silly.

Tags
cricket, world cup