The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobl04

45:33
Well, were in to Feburary now, and this is later than I started it last year. Basically, I am missing football like there is no tomorrow, and even though there is nothing happening in the world of AFL right now, it's time to get the talk started. Besides, me and inte can bitch for a while anyway. :wink:

You'll notice that the Lonely Hearts is back, I felt it was lacking last year. Makes it feel more homely.

So people, there is still lots to chat about.

Who should be made Carlton captain?
What do we make of Wayne Carey's latest actions?
Steve Johnson doing 80 clicks over the speed limit - I thought you were a good boy again :sad:
Can Matthew Knights fill Sheedy's shoes?
Are the Sydney fans going to completely outnumber the rest of us... again??

My main goal is to get A_Wanderer to post in here... :drool:

I'll get a tipping thing going soon, we'll try to get everyone participating this year.

Enjoy!!! :)

Just 47 days to go!!!!!!! :hyper:

COBL_04 said:
Besides, me and inte can bitch for a while anyway. :wink:

:wink: Bitch No.1: It's way too early to begin this thread. A-League season hasn't finished yet. Tut tut...

Geelong should be favourite to go back-to-back, but I suppose anything can happen. One thing for sure, West Coast and Sydney will be shit this year, and we gotta hope Collingwood have heaps of injuries and miss finals so we don't have to hear about how miraculous it is that they can be so great without Buckley. Collingwood is scum, they shouldn't be allowed to play finals.

Why the hell does this thread have "the lonely hearts".....its not a Zoo Confesionals thread!

Its going to be good, the Cricket season ends....and within a month the AFL season begins!

Carlton was just beaten in a practice match by Fremantle, played under a thunderstorm in South Africa.

Originally posted by bono_man2002
HEY, this isn't an official AFL thread...because its not lonely!

:madspit:

This year, I have resolved to try to care about more than just the finals and laughing at Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, and Sydney whenever they lose.

My care factor would be helped by Richmond being worth a damn. They have Wellington's rugby colours and I keep thinking about maybe supporting them. I've also thought about going for Brisbane since they're the Lions and Wellington are the Lions in the NPC, and the rest of my family goes for them, and the AFL games I have seen live have been Lions games and I've cheered for them, but ... I left Queensland for a reason, you know? It's a stinking hot uncultured hellhole over 1,000km from civilisation.

Axver said:
This year, I have resolved to try to care about more than just the finals and laughing at Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, and Sydney whenever they lose.

My care factor would be helped by Richmond being worth a damn. They have Wellington's rugby colours and I keep thinking about maybe supporting them. I've also thought about going for Brisbane since they're the Lions and Wellington are the Lions in the NPC, and the rest of my family goes for them, and the AFL games I have seen live have been Lions games and I've cheered for them, but ... I left Queensland for a reason, you know? It's a stinking hot uncultured hellhole over 1,000km from civilisation.

Go for Richmond, they're one the few remaining respectable clubs left in Victoria (Geelong being the other). A fan base who knows what true passion is all about, and still play their home games in their own town and at a great stadium at that. Their time will come.

I suppose I hate Collingscum cause I know too many of their fans, and I hate it how they are also the Channel Nine football club. The Manchester United of AFL, absolutely ghastly and a bunch of sell outs at that.

intedomine said:
The Manchester United of AFL, absolutely ghastly and a bunch of sell outs at that.
Man U? Only if Collingwobbles actually WON anything :wink:

Anyways, I have no interest in AFL. I live in Adelaide. :D

intedomine said:
Go for Richmond, they're one the few remaining respectable clubs left in Victoria (Geelong being the other). A fan base who knows what true passion is all about, and still play their home games in their own town and at a great stadium at that. Their time will come.

It's hard for me to go for them when a lot of people like to mock them as non-achievers and they never seem to win anything. I'm not saying I only want to back a winner. It's just that it's one thing to be born into and growing up supporting the local/family team that isn't currently too successful, and quite another to come from outside with absolutely no attachment and try to support them from scratch.

At the moment, AFL is a bit strange for me. I enjoy watching it and I know which teams I hate, but I don't know who I love! And before anyone asks why I hate the four teams I hate, here's why:

Carlton: Three reasons. 1. "Carlton" is a crap name for a place. 2. They're the Blues; Auckland's team in the Super 14 rugby is the Blues; I am a Wellingtonian, thus I hate Auckland, thus I oppose any team called the Blues. 3. A stepbrother I don't like goes for Carlton.
Collingwood: Why are all their fans such complete pricks? Seriously, not even Auckland is supported by this quantity of wankers.
Fremantle: The Dockers is a horrible nickname to begin with, and then I heard that team song of theirs.
Sydney: The Swans?! What is this, the poncy team for old Grandmas with their frilly dresses and tea cosies and in bed by 7:30pm? What's next, the Newcastle Cuddly Teddy Bears or the Gold Coast Peace Doves?

Axver said:
It's hard for me to go for them when a lot of people like to mock them as non-achievers and they never seem to win anything. I'm not saying I only want to back a winner. It's just that it's one thing to be born into and growing up supporting the local/family team that isn't currently too successful, and quite another to come from outside with absolutely no attachment and try to support them from scratch.
This is why I will never understand why a friend of mine, when she moved to Australia, started barracking for Fitzroy.

Mind you, she was from NZ :D

Axver said:

My care factor would be helped by Richmond being worth a damn. They have Wellington's rugby colours and I keep thinking about maybe supporting them.

Except for the fact they suck.

Anwyay, the Colingwood thing is such a massive hyperbole. How many feral fans of theirs have you actually met? Sure, there's more than other clubs, but it's mainly the idiots who sit behind the goals.

And Buckley was massively overrated.

I went to the grand final in 2003, Brisbane vs Collingwood. Never saw such a bunch of sore, ungraceful losers in my life. I was sitting beside this sour wanker who pretty much ruined Collingwood for me for good.

Though clearly I was not in the same section as b_m2002, who I know was also there and I'm sure had much more dignity.

But hang on a second. There's a line between passion and indignity. I BAWLED my eyes out for about 20 minutes after we went down to Brisbane in the prelim in 04, then Sydney in the semi in 06. They were painful. I can fully understand that because the Pies made the grand final, and were beaten by under two kicks. They have every right to be upset. And Rocca got jibbed, his shot should have been a goal.

It's one thing to have passion. It's another thing entirely to sit there either in a grumpy silence with your arms crossed or to open your mouth only to heckle the opposition, and then to leave at three quarter time, intentionally pushing past Lions fans as you go.

COBL_04 said:

Anwyay, the Colingwood thing is such a massive hyperbole. How many feral fans of theirs have you actually met? Sure, there's more than other clubs, but it's mainly the idiots who sit behind the goals.

Actually, in my experience with Collingwood fans, it's not necessarily a case of mere ferality. It's more a case of most of them being ignorant, arrogant and difficult to have a proper conversation with.

Axver said:
Though clearly I was not in the same section as b_m2002, who I know was also there and I'm sure had much more dignity.

And you had seats!

Well....I left at the start of the Last quarter. I'd seen enough, Dad and I had paid a truckload to stand up and see about 1/4 of the whole game..... From the First Bounce (and What I Could see from a packed standing room in the new Ponsford Stand).....I was wondering why Collingwood were even the favorites for this game? This Brisbane side was a class act, and should have been favorites...just on fact they had won the last 2 Grannies. We were lucky to beat 'em in the Qualifying Final that year!

bono_man2002 said:
From the First Bounce (and What I Could see from a packed standing room in the new Ponsford Stand).....I was wondering why Collingwood were even the favorites for this game? This Brisbane side was a class act, and should have been favorites...

See, this is why you're the exception that proves the rule. Other Collingwood fans I've met seem to love bitching about how Collingwood "should" have won ... well, pretty much every final in history, it seems.

Argh, I haven't been keeping tabs on any footy related stories lately. Not even much on the Carey thing.

Though I saw Ben Cousins training at Glenelg about a month ago.

I just think its hyperbole. It's a stereotype. Don't get me wrong, I love to get in on it, but I have a tonne of mates who are Collingwood fans and they are some of the best people you'll meet. Some of them get embarrased at the actions of others. They are not, inte, as you seemed to imply, a lower race, as much as we all like to pretend they are.

Bonnie that is very interesting. Nice pick up! How do you think your Weagles will go this year?

Hopefully top four, really - that's all I can say. I don't think it's unrealistic at all, all the controversy's gone, our two best players and some other greats, sure - but I think this'll just make the more secondary stars shine even more.

I'm almost 100% sure it was Cuz, looked just like him - same build, face etc.

I'm not sure how interested I'm going to be in the AFL this year.

I've sorta said that every year, but THIS YEAR! :wink: We'll see what happens. I think Channel 7 killed last season for me, with their shite coverage. And they have the Grand Final this year :no:

If I can get to a few games this year, it'll be much better. I only made it to two games last season (RD 12 or so against St.Kilda and The Prelim against the Cats.)

See, you just need to get into rugby. The All Blacks. :drool:

Yes, I'll show myself out.

:wave:

Union I used to really enjoy. Since I don't currently have Pay TV though, I don't really get to see anything....Its kinda the same with Football (soccer)...Now I don't have my fox sports, I don't see any EPL....well unless you watch SBS on sunday arvo's!

The Sad Punk said:
Hopefully top four, really - that's all I can say. I don't think it's unrealistic at all, all the controversy's gone, our two best players and some other greats, sure - but I think this'll just make the more secondary stars shine even more.

I'm almost 100% sure it was Cuz, looked just like him - same build, face etc.

Yeah, I still think you'll be up there as well, as you say it will let a few other players into the spotlight, and you've got a wealth of them, like Nicoski, Embley, Glass, Priddis... Any word on Kerr? Having a good pre-season?

Keep us posted about Cuz as well.... see he did the anti-drug thing with Mundine the other day, I was really pleased he did, and he seemed very down to earth throughout the whole interview. But a reporter stumped Mundine, he said to him "Do you think it's a case of one rule for normal people and another for celebrities?" To which he replied "nah brah" And then the reporter said "Well he'd be in jail." Mundine had nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom