The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
45:33

Local Time: 12:05 AM
The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!!

Well, were in to Feburary now, and this is later than I started it last year. Basically, I am missing football like there is no tomorrow, and even though there is nothing happening in the world of AFL right now, it's time to get the talk started. Besides, me and inte can bitch for a while anyway.

You'll notice that the Lonely Hearts is back, I felt it was lacking last year. Makes it feel more homely.

So people, there is still lots to chat about.

Who should be made Carlton captain?
What do we make of Wayne Carey's latest actions?
Steve Johnson doing 80 clicks over the speed limit - I thought you were a good boy again
Can Matthew Knights fill Sheedy's shoes?
Are the Sydney fans going to completely outnumber the rest of us... again??

My main goal is to get A_Wanderer to post in here...

I'll get a tipping thing going soon, we'll try to get everyone participating this year.

Enjoy!!!

Just 47 days to go!!!!!!!

Old 02-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:05 PM
Re: The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by COBL_04
Besides, me and inte can bitch for a while anyway.

Bitch No.1: It's way too early to begin this thread. A-League season hasn't finished yet. Tut tut...

Geelong should be favourite to go back-to-back, but I suppose anything can happen. One thing for sure, West Coast and Sydney will be shit this year, and we gotta hope Collingwood have heaps of injuries and miss finals so we don't have to hear about how miraculous it is that they can be so great without Buckley. Collingwood is scum, they shouldn't be allowed to play finals.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #3

Well the first NAB game is on the 9th so..

What is it exactly you despise in Collingwood so much?
Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Why the hell does this thread have "the lonely hearts".....its not a Zoo Confesionals thread!

Its going to be good, the Cricket season ends....and within a month the AFL season begins!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:13 AM   #5

Carlton was just beaten in a practice match by Fremantle, played under a thunderstorm in South Africa.

Quote:
Originally posted by bono_man2002
HEY, this isn't an official AFL thread...because its not lonely!
Old 02-04-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Ahhh....quoted for my fish brain memory.

Still....
Old 02-04-2008, 01:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Ahhh....quoted for my fish brain memory.

Still....
Well, last year I felt guilty for not putting it, this year it's the other way round. Can't win can I?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #8
Vocal parasite

This year, I have resolved to try to care about more than just the finals and laughing at Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, and Sydney whenever they lose.

My care factor would be helped by Richmond being worth a damn. They have Wellington's rugby colours and I keep thinking about maybe supporting them. I've also thought about going for Brisbane since they're the Lions and Wellington are the Lions in the NPC, and the rest of my family goes for them, and the AFL games I have seen live have been Lions games and I've cheered for them, but ... I left Queensland for a reason, you know? It's a stinking hot uncultured hellhole over 1,000km from civilisation.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-04-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
This year, I have resolved to try to care about more than just the finals and laughing at Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, and Sydney whenever they lose.

My care factor would be helped by Richmond being worth a damn. They have Wellington's rugby colours and I keep thinking about maybe supporting them. I've also thought about going for Brisbane since they're the Lions and Wellington are the Lions in the NPC, and the rest of my family goes for them, and the AFL games I have seen live have been Lions games and I've cheered for them, but ... I left Queensland for a reason, you know? It's a stinking hot uncultured hellhole over 1,000km from civilisation.
Go for Richmond, they're one the few remaining respectable clubs left in Victoria (Geelong being the other). A fan base who knows what true passion is all about, and still play their home games in their own town and at a great stadium at that. Their time will come.

I suppose I hate Collingscum cause I know too many of their fans, and I hate it how they are also the Channel Nine football club. The Manchester United of AFL, absolutely ghastly and a bunch of sell outs at that.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:48 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
The Manchester United of AFL, absolutely ghastly and a bunch of sell outs at that.
Man U? Only if Collingwobbles actually WON anything

Anyways, I have no interest in AFL. I live in Adelaide.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:10 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by blueeyedgirl
Anyways, I have no interest in AFL. I live in Adelaide.
AFL, or anything at all? I Kid!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Go for Richmond, they're one the few remaining respectable clubs left in Victoria (Geelong being the other). A fan base who knows what true passion is all about, and still play their home games in their own town and at a great stadium at that. Their time will come.
It's hard for me to go for them when a lot of people like to mock them as non-achievers and they never seem to win anything. I'm not saying I only want to back a winner. It's just that it's one thing to be born into and growing up supporting the local/family team that isn't currently too successful, and quite another to come from outside with absolutely no attachment and try to support them from scratch.

At the moment, AFL is a bit strange for me. I enjoy watching it and I know which teams I hate, but I don't know who I love! And before anyone asks why I hate the four teams I hate, here's why:

Carlton: Three reasons. 1. "Carlton" is a crap name for a place. 2. They're the Blues; Auckland's team in the Super 14 rugby is the Blues; I am a Wellingtonian, thus I hate Auckland, thus I oppose any team called the Blues. 3. A stepbrother I don't like goes for Carlton.
Collingwood: Why are all their fans such complete pricks? Seriously, not even Auckland is supported by this quantity of wankers.
Fremantle: The Dockers is a horrible nickname to begin with, and then I heard that team song of theirs.
Sydney: The Swans?! What is this, the poncy team for old Grandmas with their frilly dresses and tea cosies and in bed by 7:30pm? What's next, the Newcastle Cuddly Teddy Bears or the Gold Coast Peace Doves?

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Collingwood: Why are all their fans such complete pricks? Seriously, not even Auckland is supported by this quantity of wankers.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
It's hard for me to go for them when a lot of people like to mock them as non-achievers and they never seem to win anything. I'm not saying I only want to back a winner. It's just that it's one thing to be born into and growing up supporting the local/family team that isn't currently too successful, and quite another to come from outside with absolutely no attachment and try to support them from scratch.
This is why I will never understand why a friend of mine, when she moved to Australia, started barracking for Fitzroy.

Mind you, she was from NZ
Old 02-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

AFL, or anything at all? I Kid!
You'll keep

PS Go Adelaide United!

Tags
afl, australian football