The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think tigers have a chance against Geelong if they play with the spirit like they did against Brisbane.

Nah, the Tigers are going to get caned. :lol:

Then again, I did predict that the Lions would destroy them too ...

Fucking hell, what a win by the Tigers. Maybe I'll start paying more attention to the season or something.

Not to be a fairweather fan, but it's damn hard to initially get into a team when you have no attachment to any in the tournament and the one you arbitrarily chose because their colours are the same as your rugby team (Wellington's yellow and black) is pretty crap and doing nothing to motivate you to care. But that fourth quarter was pretty damn exciting.

Kind of a shame it had to be over Brisbane Fitzroy, ostensibly my second team, but I'll take anything that can get me more into properly following the season rather than just paying attention whenever the mood catches me or when Melbourne catches finals fever.

I becoming more and more just a general supporter. I'll always follow the pussies, but I am losing that passion. Tigers are playing some mighty good football at the moment, as are the Dons.

But as someone said to me, I think you can just close up shop and give the flag to us, because we beat the Hawks without Ablett, Milburn and Wojcinski, and only had Chapman for a half.

It all leads to the question. Who can and who will beat Geelong somehow? :hmm:
Collingwood still can beat them but they are going downhill atm.

We'll find out tonight. Its time, If Collingwood are gonna make the 8, lets forget about the top 4 for the moment, If they wanna have any action in September, they have to improve tonight.

I'm not saying they're gonna win tonight, but I'd rather be playing Collingwood after we've won 3-4 in a row, rather than a magpies outfit thats lost 2 in a row. The same can be said about Hawthorn....so If both sides bring their best out tonight, we could be in for a great game!

Oh, and for fucks sake, I wish the media would leave Sam Newman alone....he might not have a job by the end of today, apparently. I for one will never watch the footy show again if he is sacked.

This would be a good thing. Sam Newman is a total fucktard (god I love that word) who well knows what he's doing and gets off on the controversy. And I don't even follow AFL :wink:

*awaits response that us women have no sense of humour* :hyper:

It all leads to the question. Who can and who will beat Geelong somehow? :hmm:
Collingwood still can beat them but they are going downhill atm.

I told a girl in my italian class today, that if we don't win the premiership I'll give her $20 dollars.

Oh, and for fucks sake, I wish the media would leave Sam Newman alone....he might not have a job by the end of today, apparently. I for one will never watch the footy show again if he is sacked.

:bow: amen brother. I couldn't BELIEVE all this crap on the news. The media are incredibly oversensitive now, scutinising everything Sam Newman says. Give the guy a break. He's said/done way worse things in the past. He defended himself rigoursly. with you all the way :up:

This would be a good thing. Sam Newman is a total fucktard (god I love that word) who well knows what he's doing and gets off on the controversy. And I don't even follow AFL :wink:

*awaits response that us women have no sense of humour* :hyper:

I disagree, but (boy you do love that word :D) I think this stuff all comes back to what your predisposition is regarding Sam. If you don't like him, you never will, and just switch off. But I agree with Daniel.

Danny, I don't suppose you want to also give me $20 if Geelong don't win? :wink:

Well, if there's 20 dollar notes just being flung around.... :wave:

As regards John Fucktard Newton, I just think his time has passed. He does appeal to the lowest common denominator in many respects, and it doesn't say much about commercial TV's respect of the intelligence of their viewer (yes I know I'm expecting too much from commercial tv :D ). When you compare the quality of presenters like Les Murray or Bruce McAvaney with Fucktard, well... :shrug:

I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Newman, in fact i'm kinda neutral with him, but the media gotta give him a bloody break, they should just relax! He just makes jokes not meaning to offend anyone! :angry:

The media seem too sensitive! :mad:

Man, after a great first ten minutes by the Tigers, they're now getting killed by the Cats at half time. :grumpy:

It was pretty obvious that it was going to occur in the end. :wink:

Oh well, I'm quite happy because my Crows beat the Blues in a thriller.:D

It was pretty obvious that it was going to occur in the end. :wink:

Ha, yeah. When Richmond scored their second goal, my first thought was "this can't last long!"

I did hope it would last a little longer than it did, though!

And as long as the Blues have been beaten, a good outcome has been achieved if you ask me. :up:

Gee, Geelong really thumped the tiges, and we crows have the tiges next week at AAMI, looking forward to that one. :drool:

Did anyone see Matthew Lloyds mark? It was a ripper but I still think Brett Burtons should win Mark Of The Year.

That was the arse-kicking I expected. :sigh:

But we'll bounce back to beat the Crows next week. :wink:

multiquote :love:

Well, if there's 20 dollar notes just being flung around.... :wave:

As regards John Fucktard Newton, I just think his time has passed. He does appeal to the lowest common denominator in many respects, and it doesn't say much about commercial TV's respect of the intelligence of their viewer (yes I know I'm expecting too much from commercial tv :D ). When you compare the quality of presenters like Les Murray or Bruce McAvaney with Fucktard, well... :shrug:

To be fair, he's not a presenter though. He's paid to be controversial. By the way, did anyone see Bronwyn Bishop's comments? She said that viewers of the footy show are stupid, basically. Here's my letter to the editor in response:

"I am writing in to express my utter disgust at Bronwyn Bishop's egregious comments that viewers of The Footy Show aren't an "intellectual audience."
Where exactly does she get off on saying something like that?
I, like numerous others, found those comments far more offensive and derogatory than Sam Newman's comments, which have once again been blown out to epic proportions.
I'd sure like Ms Bishop's employers to give her a 'please explain', because I want to know what her basis was when she undermined the hundreds of thousands of people who watch the program.
What, are we as football fans some sort of lower subset of the human race or something? Stick to politics."

Danny, I don't suppose you want to also give me $20 if Geelong don't win? :wink:

A lot of people think I was very stupid for doing it, surprisingly.

I'm not the biggest fan of Sam Newman, in fact i'm kinda neutral with him, but the media gotta give him a bloody break, they should just relax! He just makes jokes not meaning to offend anyone! :angry:

The media seem too sensitive! :mad:

Thank you. It's all I ask :yes:

Did anyone see Matthew Lloyds mark? It was a ripper but I still think Brett Burtons should win Mark Of The Year.

Matthew Richardson's grab should also be a contender. It was a 'speccy' but he lunged out, till he was almost horizontal. Much harder and more impressive than a general speccy.

My team beat Dannys team in supercoach :rockon:

:madwife:

Also everyone, I met Mike Sheahan and Jon Anderson yesterday at work experience. Me and Mike were getting along like a house on fire, cos he's from Werribee, and Ando said I've got a really good handshake. :D

Sheahan :down:....i'd have a fair few words to say to him about his so-called journalism.

Nah, good luck to ya, hope Work Exp is enjoyable.....always pretty cool.......try and get yerself some free tickets....

Also everyone, I met Mike Sheahan and Jon Anderson yesterday at work experience. Me and Mike were getting along like a house on fire, cos he's from Werribee, and Ando said I've got a really good handshake. :D

Work Experience at the Herald Sun?, thats fucking brilliant, Good Luck :up:

Harvey.

cryingeagle.gif

Inte, Mike is actually a pretty good bloke, and though I've disagreed with him he's still a good journalist, though he is a bit quick to jump to conclusions (writing sides off, ie North, Saints, Collingwood, Matthew Lloyd...)

And the work experience is a bit of a waste of time at the moment I'm afraid. I'll outline what I've done so far.

Monday
Was in Business. Wrote the 'On The Move' section, which details what's happening on the boards of companies in 20 word spiels.
Was in Imaging. Which was pretty cool; I got to play on Photoshop, the people were good, saw what's involved with the pictures, good fun, but not what I want.

Tuesday
Was in the mail room. Day consisted of reading the paper, eating, talking about football, following some little Indian from bottom floor to the top doing nothing but watching him hand out mX, and putting invoices in envelopes (though I did operate a $90k machine which puts letters in envelopes and seals them).

Wednesday
Was in Sunday Herald Sun (who are a completely different entity to the daily Herald Sun, and are actually in competition with them). Met Robyn Riley, who I hate. But you be polite. Was too afraid to ask about Sam Newman because I like him. My 'boss' for the day was very intimidating. Softly spoken, had an accent, but very, very assertive and serious. My jobs consisted of surfing the news websites of the UK and US for any stories that could be put in the SHS. Did a 'story' on how vitamin C might be used to help fight cancer. Then wrote out the little spiels about people who want the world to know they got married. Met Glenn McFarlane, a sports writer, who said if he'd known I was in the building would have taken me to the Robert Harvey retirement thing this morning. :banghead:

I'm booked in for Circulation, Features and The Weekly Times for the rest of the week. Magic. More to come.

Sounds quite fun, bit like my time at The Age, though I was always working @ the sport desk :hyper:

Can you tell the folk at the HS to stop being so fundamentally anti-Rudd and give the new government a chance. They've actually handled the economy beautifully, better than the Coward government, and are actually visionary and pro-active....met Andy Blot yet?

Looks like the Geelong v Melbourne match will be shown live in Adel before the opening ceremony of the Olympics. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom