The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
COBL_04 said:

I was so upset when I read this. Unlike most people, I have an enormous amount of respect John 'Sam' Newman, and I sincerely hope he gets better soon. He is a lovable larrikin, best of luck to him.

Plus I want my Footy Show fix!!

The top 50 players of all time was also announced today, with Wayne Carey at #1.
S

Shehan is a terrible football journalist, though I do agree with Ablett and Carey getting high. Dunstall, Buckley, Hird and Lockett were too high. Paul Kelly, the most corageous and reliable midfielder of the 90's with R Harvey, didn't even crack the 50. Shame on Shehan! And Albert Thurgood was the VFL/AFL's first superstar, and he didn't make the 50.

I detest Newman, chauvinistic, silver-spooned, arrogant prick who's not a bad commentator of the game (tells it as it is - don't hold back), but is a complete prick of a human being. That said, I don't wish P Cancer on anyone and good luck to him (and go and get checked yerselves y'all)....

I love Sam, no matter how chauvinistic, silver-spooned or arrogant he may be. Or at least I love the Footy Show, and I don't want that to change at all. Cancer is terrible and I hope he can pull through.

Harvey didn't make the 50? Unreal!

intedomine said:
S

Shehan is a terrible football journalist, though I do agree with Ablett and Carey getting high. Dunstall, Buckley, Hird and Lockett were too high. Paul Kelly, the most corageous and reliable midfielder of the 90's with R Harvey, didn't even crack the 50. Shame on Shehan! And Albert Thurgood was the VFL/AFL's first superstar, and he didn't make the 50.

I detest Newman, chauvinistic, silver-spooned, arrogant prick who's not a bad commentator of the game (tells it as it is - don't hold back), but is a complete prick of a human being. That said, I don't wish P Cancer on anyone and good luck to him (and go and get checked yerselves y'all)....

I too love Sam, I think he's a legend. Most people you'll find agree with his views on the game. He gets the most cheers on The Footy Show.

Sheahan is a terrific journalist mate, don't know what you're on. He wouldn't be their chief writer if he was a shit journalist. And besides what does his journalism have to do with selecting the top 50 of all time?

Dunstall and Lockett were too high, personally I think Hird, who was #20, deserved that spot for sure, Buckley should have been lower. Lockett in the top 10 was bullshit, he was just a fat full forward who intimidated, led well, marked well and kicked goals.

I agree Paul Kelly should have been there, and Harvey was on the list, about #30 I think. Thurgood as well. There were a few oversights yes, but come on, it's an impossible task. Make a list inte, I'll make one if you do.

Bottom line is Ablett should have been number one, and I'm not biased in saying that. No one, bar no one, had the freakish talent and ability that he did. He wasn't a footballer, he was a musician.

Best of luck to Sam.

Here's the list by the way:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,23326656-19742,00.html

COBL_04 said:

Sheahan is a terrific journalist mate, don't know what you're on. He wouldn't be their chief writer if he was a shit journalist. And besides what does his journalism have to do with selecting the top 50 of all time?

Bottom line is Ablett should have been number one, and I'm not biased in saying that.

Agree, on Ablett, I can't see why he wouldn't be number one, I suppose the only thing going against him (if you can look at it that way) is that the team he was in was choc-a-bloc full of gun players, while the North Melbourne side of the 90's was tactically (and successfully) a Carey-orientated side.

Just can't attribute any credibility to Sheahan for a number of reasons.
1. His Monday articles lack detailed analysis and merely state the bloody obvious. There's nothing new or interesting in what he says, while Rohan Connolly's Monday column in the AGE properly dissects the events of the round, poses interesting perspectives and prospects, and are always a read to look forward to. Very balanced and clever writer compared to Sheahan.
2. When Sheahan interviews, his questions are pointless and unenlightening. Plays it too safe, lacks a true journalist's inquisition.
3. Sheahan wrote a scathing anti-soccer article about this time last year re. Melbourne v Adelaide semi-final without actually attending or watching the match. Why write one at all if you are uneducated, biased and to lazy to actually back up what you're saying.

Hmmm....well my beloved Crows lost the NAB cup...probably not such a bad thing, seeing as there seems to be a bit of a curse on pre-season cup winners!

Seriously, the AFL needs to look at the pre-season games. Yesterday Port played Freo in 42 degrees here, and then it was STILL 36C at kick off in the NAB cup final. That really is insane, not at all safe for players, or spectators either!

Positive of the night tho - Kurt Tippett - he looks VERY promising - and we so desperately need a full forward. We've never really had anyone to fit the bill since Modra!!

Hmm...not many South Australians in Sheahan's list (not that I should be surprised at that..)

intedomine said:

Agree, on Ablett, I can't see why he wouldn't be number one, I suppose the only thing going against him (if you can look at it that way) is that the team he was in was choc-a-bloc full of gun players, while the North Melbourne side of the 90's was tactically (and successfully) a Carey-orientated side.

Just can't attribute any credibility to Sheahan for a number of reasons.
1. His Monday articles lack detailed analysis and merely state the bloody obvious. There's nothing new or interesting in what he says, while Rohan Connolly's Monday column in the AGE properly dissects the events of the round, poses interesting perspectives and prospects, and are always a read to look forward to. Very balanced and clever writer compared to Sheahan.
2. When Sheahan interviews, his questions are pointless and unenlightening. Plays it too safe, lacks a true journalist's inquisition.
3. Sheahan wrote a scathing anti-soccer article about this time last year re. Melbourne v Adelaide semi-final without actually attending or watching the match. Why write one at all if you are uneducated, biased and to lazy to actually back up what you're saying.

Yeah, I read that as well about Carey BEING North Melbourne (I was a bit surprised actually to hear that).

Agree with you about Mike on point no. 1, I hate his Monday articles. Don't mind his interviews, you do have to remember that some players won't talk about certain things.

Never saw that article, could you post a link??

And finally the NAB Cup is over. Thank christ for that.

I just don't like Sheahan as a person. I pay about 0.1% attention to whatever bullshit the media want to talk about when it comes to footy.

Willl try find a link to that article, was written about Feb 07. I think his contradiction came when he said he was doing something else at the same time as the match, which meant he wasn't even focusing on the match....i dunno, but it was pretty poor when I read it.

I want to be a sports journo :sad:

I'll be posting stories thruout the year.

And by the way, more people need to join the tipping comp AND dream team. leave your emails.

So what are people's season predictions?

It's always hard to say, and no one will ever be right, because things go wrong in this wonderful game of ours.

I think we'll still be up there, I would like to think, though we did have a great run with injuries last year. For once. If the Saints can keep fit they will be a massive force, you never know with Freo, they let people down every year. I think the Roos will come crashing down, I don't know how they finished top four last year. If the Hawks can play consistent football they will be top four, but they need to keep away from drugs as well. I'm skeptical about Collingwood, but on last year's form they will be a good unit. Sydney are gone, West Coast are gone, Adelaide might have one last shot. The Tigers and Demons I feel (sadly) will struggle this year, but I really hope they prove me wrong. It'd be nice to see a Blues resurgence, they've had enough shit years now. The Lions have a better list than given credit for, Essendon will struggle. Don't know what to think about the Dogs, maybe low top eight. And last but not least is Port, who if they played as they did in that grand final will be terrible.

I love telling Port fans that. They are the WORST Grand Final team in history.

I'm tipping Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell or Riewoldt for the Brownlow.

1. Geelong
2. Hawthorn
3. Port Power
4. Fremantle
5. West Coast
6. Footscray
7. South Melbourne
8. Carlton

Hopefully Collingscum finish last, though I reckon North Melbourne or Melbourne will.....brownlow will be Pavlich's.

Well, I am soooo glad to have football back. Proper football. I can breathe easier now.

The round's results:

Richmond 17.7 (109) d Carlton 11.13 (79)
Geelong 15.15 (105) d Port Adelaide 14.12 (96)
Collingwood 16.15 (111) d Fremantle 13.7 (85)
West Coast 14.8 (92) d Brisbane 11.10 (76)
St. Kilda 6.15 (51) d Sydney 6.13 (49) - lowest ever winning score at Telstra Dome
Western Bulldogs 19.12 (126) d Adelaide 18.15 (123)
Hawthorn 23.16 (154) d Melbourne 6.14 (50)
Essendon 19.8 (122) d North Melbourne 9.13 (67) - Essendon's first win over North since 2001.

The big stories:

- Scott Lucas (Ess) is out for half a year after tearing his post cruciate ligament
- Kane Johnson (Rich) locked up overnight for public urination. However his actions afterward have been exemplary. Commend him.
- Mick Malthouse (Coll coach) in hot water after alluding the AFL are idiots on radio (everyone agrees with him however).

0,25410,5030491-5016344-17,00.html

one for the ladies. ;)

intedomine said:
Malthouse is a legend, Demetriou is Scum.

Normally, when you say scum I disagree, or think it's too harsh, but here I agree wholeheartedly.

Demetriou (though it's not mainly him, it's Adrain Anderson asnd the rest) could not be more out of touch with what the fans want. 90% of fans think the hands in the back rule is shithouse, I among them, and it means players like Jakovich, Archer and Silvagni would have been constantly giving away free kicks.

who watched wayne carey on enough rope and what did you think?

parts i thought were quite touching, others i could tell he was lying ,

but i feel for the poor bastard.

oh and hai footy thread. you will hear more from me when i can figure out the season. :flirt:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom