The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so hyped this year, the pre-season has just started, a lot of great management moves have been made, the U-20s are looking sharp. I can't believe it's still over a month until i'm back at Mt Sma.....fuck it, wrong sport.

blueeyedgirl said:
Dunno, but COBL, where's this year's V8 thread? Time is a'moving on...... :wink:

I thought about making it like two weeks ago but was too afraid due to it being not the most popular sport on here. But with Clipsal only days away, consider it started!

coolian2 said:
I'm so hyped this year, the pre-season has just started, a lot of great management moves have been made, the U-20s are looking sharp. I can't believe it's still over a month until i'm back at Mt Sma.....fuck it, wrong sport.

Go make a thread and talk to yourself about your pansies who can't hack real tackles or set real scrums. :wink:

coolian2 said:
What use would i have for a rugby thread though?

You could learn how to ruck and maul rather than roll away like a wimp.

Wow, sometimes you do hyperbole better than I do in One threads. :applaud:

That's because you watch games involving the Wallabies and Matt Dunning can barely fucking stay on his feet at the best of times.

I am, for the record, one of the loudest critics of how slow scrums have become in the last few years, and some rule changes are currently being trialled to speed it up. If you ask me, the referees are to blame - just let the teams take the tap, don't set the damn thing again if it's being dragged down. That will stop a lot of the bullshit that goes on.

And to be perfectly honest, I find union faster than league. Dear God, league is boring.

Last edited:
coolian2 said:
:lol: You're perfectly capable of hyperbole outside of One threads too!

League just strikes me as the same thing over and over again for eighty minutes. That's not fast; that's boring. It's a sport much better watched in highlights packages.

Axver said:

League just strikes me as the same thing over and over again for eighty minutes. That's not fast; that's boring. It's a sport much better watched in highlights packages.

Rugby reminds me of the same thing but slower and more of a mess

Perhaps we need to end this because everybody (especially the AFL fans) aren't getting anything out of this

Axver said:
I find union faster than league.

Perhaps we should defer to the expert

It's rugby league: Habana

Rugby World Cup star Bryan Habana has criticised the new rules being trialled in the Super 14 competition, saying they are turning the game into rugby league.

Having played three games under the new format, the South African and Bulls winger is not a fan and hopes the so-called Experimental Law Variations (ELVs) remain experimental.

"It's got a lot more of a rugby league feel on it," Habana told reporters at the Laureus World Sports Awards, where the World Cup-winning Springboks were nominated for Team of the Year.

"There's no stop-start, the essence of what rugby is, anymore."

Rule-makers believe the ELVs will speed up the game and increase the amount of time the ball stays in play by cutting the long periods in which the ball is at the bottom of a ruck, secured in a maul or out of action while scrums are set and reset.

The rules provide for free kicks instead of penalties for many infringements around the tackled area, meaning play is often re-started immediately by the non-offending team taking a tap kick and returning the ball to play.

"If guys wanted to play rugby league, they'd go out and play rugby league," Habana said.

"The essence of what rugby is about is something that I don't think any player or any supporter wants to see lost.

"There's something special about rugby ... your forwards pride themselves on the scrum and the line-out and your backs pride themselves on that contest against the opposition.

"The backs are running against the forwards now and the forwards are running against the backs, so it's a little bit of a mix-up at the moment."

Habana also said changing between the new and old rules put added pressure on players from countries like Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

"I don't really understand because the southern hemisphere teams are playing with it in the Super 14, then come the June Tests, we revert back to the old laws, then come the Tri-Nations, we revert back to the new laws again," he said.

"As players, we just want to go out there and play this wonderful game we call rugby and hopefully they won't change what the essence of rugby is all about."

AAP

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/its-rugby-league-habana/2008/02/18/1203190735667.html

Maybe he can try get a job as a Priest.

All those church's, there can't be that many old folk willing to work for the chruch in Adelaide :wink:

AFL expansion is quite laughable really, motivated by that ongoing fear that soccer has really captured the hearts of most kids under 16. We've just had the announcement of two new A-League Clubs based on the Gold Coast and Townsville.

Any West Sydney AFL Team will fail miserably. Gold Coast might work, but the AFL has to be happy with crowds of 10 to 15 thousand for about 5 years minimum.

Probably about 5 years away from the inevtiable move of Hawthorn to Tasmania and maybe in about a decade we'll see a few other Victorian clubs diluted into others.

Melbourne Kangaroos?
Richmond Bulldogs?

Ghastly thoughts, but not entirely far-fetched.....true fans of AFL clubs are gonna have to put up with some real shit over the next 10-15 years I reckon.

Meanwhile Collingwood continue to establish themselves as Melbourne's AFL Club.. with their new spiritual home being the pointless Lexus Centre. No one speaks of Vic Park anymore.

intedomine said:
AFL expansion is quite laughable really, motivated by that ongoing fear that soccer has really captured the hearts of most kids under 16. We've just had the announcement of two new A-League Clubs based on the Gold Coast and Townsville.

Any West Sydney AFL Team will fail miserably. Gold Coast might work, but the AFL has to be happy with crowds of 10 to 15 thousand for about 5 years minimum.

Probably about 5 years away from the inevtiable move of Hawthorn to Tasmania and maybe in about a decade we'll see a few other Victorian clubs diluted into others.

Melbourne Kangaroos?
Richmond Bulldogs?

Ghastly thoughts, but not entirely far-fetched.....true fans of AFL clubs are gonna have to put up with some real shit over the next 10-15 years I reckon.

Meanwhile Collingwood continue to establish themselves as Melbourne's AFL Club.. with their new spiritual home being the pointless Lexus Centre. No one speaks of Vic Park anymore.

I'm not too fond of expansion either, simply because of the dilution factor, and 16 teams is fine, though I completey understand the AFL's motivations.

However there is no chance Hawthorn will move to Tassie, and there is even less chance of any Victorian clubs merging with each other. Less than 0% chance. It simply will not happen. If there's going to be any merging over the next decade it will involve Victorian clubs with interstate clubs, be they AFL or lower.

I still don't like Demetriou.

I don't think you can say their 'spiritual home' is the LExus Centre. It's the MCG if anything. And Vic Park had begun to turn into a hole, and the fans turned a lot of people away.

COBL_04 said:
I still don't like Demetriou.

:up: Me either.

I'm all for expansion, but at the same time, 16 teams if perfectly fine.

Until all 16 teams have enough members, enough money and enough whatever else I think we should stay at 16 teams. Then once all that is sorted out, go ahead add a couple of teams.

I feel exactly the same. Personally I'd really like to see the AFL look after Melborune, Richmond, Kangas etc before expanding into an area that's going to take at least a decade before it settles.

Still disgusted at the AFL's handling of the Roos/Gold Coast issue.

And lol @ ur sig. Sure, it may be his real name. But who does not know who Pink Floyd are.

Now lol @ my sig.

bono_man2002 said:
You're sig is not that funny if you had spent 3 hours at work in EYKIW today. :wink:

There were a bunch of ppl (Ax, jen, liam, tourist, ian, varitek, etc) moving from thread to thread I and I just gave up after a while. Too hard to continue chasing them.

What happened in eykiw?

elevateursoul[AT]gmail.com

Hopefully I don't forget this year!....I'm also doing supercoach with work.

In some ways the reactions are fair, I think I'm more embarrassed for actually believing that while a few people were all having a laugh.

I feel indifferent.

Bloody AFL - trying to bribe Adelaide to give up this saturday night's NAB cup final :(
I'm not impressed, yeah maybe they would get a full house at Telstra Dome, but the rules state that the team that kicks the most goals of the two grand finalists gets to host the final. Simple.

...and i want to go along, so thank goodness Adelaide said "No Thankyou" to the AFL!

Yeah I was glad they abstained as well.

What I also hope is that Aker doesn't get reprimanded for his comments over the NAB cup because he's completely right. no one cares in the slightest.

And down at Wyndhamvale CC, we had all five of our senior sides in the finals, for the first time in our comparatively short history, and all but two were knocked out on the weekend. The side I'm 12th Man for, the B Turf, won outright playing Willi Colts. We made 199 batting first, then rolled them for 91 and 41.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom