The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bono_man2002 said:
I'm not sure how interested I'm going to be in the AFL this year.

I've sorta said that every year, but THIS YEAR! :wink: We'll see what happens. I think Channel 7 killed last season for me, with their shite coverage. And they have the Grand Final this year :no:

If I can get to a few games this year, it'll be much better. I only made it to two games last season (RD 12 or so against St.Kilda and The Prelim against the Cats.)

Channel 7 will be much better this year I think you'll find, everyone was disappointed, they were very lacklustre, there was no energy about the coverage, even with McAvaney and Commetti, who are two of the very best. They need someone like Sandy Roberts back in the fold, he was a very skilled caller. And get rid of the oafs, Schwarz and Olarenshaw. They have no idea. Channel 10 is great, with Michael Christian, who has a great voice, good humour, gets very excited, Anthony Hudson, who is a very likeable bloke and really knows his stuff, and then you've got Tim Lane, Robert Walls and Quartermaine as well, they're a top class outfit.

The passing of Clinton Grybas is a huge loss though, not just for the obvious reasons but he was an extraordinary caller.

bono_man2002 said:
:wave:

Union I used to really enjoy. Since I don't currently have Pay TV though, I don't really get to see anything....Its kinda the same with Football (soccer)...Now I don't have my fox sports, I don't see any EPL....well unless you watch SBS on sunday arvo's!

Yeah, trying to follow union without pay TV is a huge fucking pain in the arse. I wish I could just subscribe to the sports channels, but nooo, they want me to pay $35 a month for channels I don't even want. Piss off, Foxtel (which in a Kiwi accent rather conveniently sounds like "Fuckstel").

Putting something exclusively on Pay TV is the quickest way to screw it over. Just look at how state cricket's attendance has plummeted. I used to watch that every weekend when it was on 9! In fact, that's how I got into AFL, simply by watching it on free-to-air when I was bored on weekends. Took me a while but I figured out what the hell was going on. I still find low scoring matches to be intolerably dull though.

Axver said:

Putting something exclusively on Pay TV is the quickest way to screw it over. Just look at how state cricket's attendance has plummeted. I used to watch that every weekend when it was on 9! In fact, that's how I got into AFL, simply by watching it on free-to-air when I was bored on weekends. Took me a while but I figured out what the hell was going on. I still find low scoring matches to be intolerably dull though.

Couldn't agree with you more, I used to get a huge kick out of watching state cricket on free-to-air, and now as you say it's nothing. I reckon it would be horrible playing in an empty G.

And yes - the low-scoring games are terrible, unless it's a good arm-wrestle and the sides are genuinely struggling to score because - well like the low scoring games in soccer. But a good example - Hawthorn v St. Kilda early last year was one of the worst games ever. It was low scoring, the match was ridden with errors, and the tactics were deliberate.

COBL_04 said:
Couldn't agree with you more, I used to get a huge kick out of watching state cricket on free-to-air, and now as you say it's nothing. I reckon it would be horrible playing in an empty G.

Play a drinking game when watching highlights of state cricket on the news. One drink for every time you see someone in attendance. I promise you, you will not get drunk. You may not even get your thirst quenched.

Incidentally, though, I believe Metcard holders get free entry to some Victoria games this season at the G. I've been thinking about going ...

And yes - the low-scoring games are terrible, unless it's a good arm-wrestle and the sides are genuinely struggling to score because - well like the low scoring games in soccer. But a good example - Hawthorn v St. Kilda early last year was one of the worst games ever. It was low scoring, the match was ridden with errors, and the tactics were deliberate.

In my own experience of watching low scoring games, I've seen a couple that were really tense, like you say, a good arm-wrestle. But in most cases, if neither team gets past 65 or so, I know the game was intensely boring.

The same goes with most sports really. And low-scoring soccer pisses me off. Either eliminate the off-side rule outside of the goal square or just pack it in and call it a day. No sport should regularly have 0-0 as a result. I like soccer, but the ball needs to go in the back of the net a few times to keep me awake. That's probably what I like most about AFL - the ridiculously fast rate of scoring.

Hi everyone!
bye.gif

Thanks COBL_04 for pointing out to me that this thread was back up and running for 2008 - I'm a little slow!

Hmmm....I'm a wee bit terrified about this season to tell you all the truth - my beloved Crows lost so many good players post season 2007 - and now with Biglands re-injuring his knee, and no experienced ruck man to take his place it's not looking too hopeful.
Of course, miracles can happen. I do think that this year might be a last chance for Neil Craig tho, I know many Crows supporters are getting fed up with his "fitness, not football skills" training methods, and I have a feeling that if we have a terrible start to the season that he might be the first coach to find himself without a job.

Having said that - like the rest of you I'm hanging out for the season to start. I'll be parked in front of the tv this saturday night to see The Crows kick off the NAB cup :)

As for Wayne Carey....what a wanker! But no doubt he'll get some big LA lawyer to represent him in his case over there and will get away with little more than a slap on the wrist.

Bring on Saturday!!

Last edited:
Axver said:

Incidentally, though, I believe Metcard holders get free entry to some Victoria games this season at the G. I've been thinking about going ...

In my own experience of watching low scoring games, I've seen a couple that were really tense, like you say, a good arm-wrestle. But in most cases, if neither team gets past 65 or so, I know the game was intensely boring.

The same goes with most sports really. And low-scoring soccer pisses me off. Either eliminate the off-side rule outside of the goal square or just pack it in and call it a day.

It is pretty much free-entry to any state games, regardless of what form of the game. It seems as if the ACB has thrown in the twoel when it comes to getting people to go to state games, which is a shame cause it's a hyper-competitive league with some top top top players.

AFL games are at their most boring when the game is pretty much won in the second quarter (which seems to happen a lot). Nothing worse than an AFL game where the margin is more than 7 goals.

Off-Side rule is genius. Adore it, adds extra intrigue and there is nothing more exhillarating when the offside trap gets beaten.

COBL_04 said:

Channel 7 will be much better this year I think you'll find, everyone was disappointed, they were very lacklustre, there was no energy about the coverage, even with McAvaney and Commetti, who are two of the very best. They need someone like Sandy Roberts back in the fold, he was a very skilled caller. And get rid of the oafs, Schwarz and Olarenshaw. They have no idea. Channel 10 is great, with Michael Christian, who has a great voice, good humour, gets very excited, Anthony Hudson, who is a very likeable bloke and really knows his stuff, and then you've got Tim Lane, Robert Walls and Quartermaine as well, they're a top class outfit.

The passing of Clinton Grybas is a huge loss though, not just for the obvious reasons but he was an extraordinary caller.

When Channel 7 get rid of Commetti, and Employ a few good camera men (seriously the camera work in cloverfield is better!) I might watch, I often boycotted Many Magpies games last year, that we're shown on Seven. Or at least watched with the sound turned down.

COBL_04 said:
I just think its hyperbole. It's a stereotype. Don't get me wrong, I love to get in on it, but I have a tonne of mates who are Collingwood fans and they are some of the best people you'll meet. Some of them get embarrased at the actions of others. They are not, inte, as you seemed to imply, a lower race, as much as we all like to pretend they are.

?

wow thats really nice danny. and i suppose all cats fans arent small minded small town sooks .

:hug:

Axver said:

The same goes with most sports really. And low-scoring soccer pisses me off. Either eliminate the off-side rule outside of the goal square or just pack it in and call it a day. No sport should regularly have 0-0 as a result. I like soccer, but the ball needs to go in the back of the net a few times to keep me awake. That's probably what I like most about AFL - the ridiculously fast rate of scoring.

That's exactly why I have never been a big soccer fan... I don't care what people say to me, 0-0 after 90 minutes just does not appeal to me and never will. The fast rate of scoring is what makes AFL so exciting.

But I do agree with inte - blowout games can be quite boring. Games that are won by the second quarter are indeed boring. Games where it's close at 3/4 time and blows out in the last quarter not so much.

Basically, AFL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Soccer. /Fact.

wow thats really nice danny. and i suppose all cats fans arent small minded small town sooks .

:hug:

:lol: :hug: Well it is true. About Collingwood supporters I mean. :shifty:

intedomine said:
It is pretty much free-entry to any state games, regardless of what form of the game. It seems as if the ACB has thrown in the twoel when it comes to getting people to go to state games, which is a shame cause it's a hyper-competitive league with some top top top players.

AFL games are at their most boring when the game is pretty much won in the second quarter (which seems to happen a lot). Nothing worse than an AFL game where the margin is more than 7 goals.

Off-Side rule is genius. Adore it, adds extra intrigue and there is nothing more exhillarating when the offside trap gets beaten.

The Aussie state cricket should be massively popular. Back around 2000 or so, I'd go to QLD vs NSW games at the 'Gabba and it was just as good as an international. Really intense competition on the field and great atmosphere in the crowd. The ACB's full of idiots if they're going to give up this easily. Put it back on free-to-air and the crowds will come in. It's not as if there's anything else on weekend daytime TV in the middle of summer anyway.

Eliminating the off-side rule outside of the goal square is the quickest way I can see to getting rid of games ending in 0-0. I watch sport to be entertained, not to try to analyse some tactics being played/botched by overpaid idiots. And 0-0 is just never going to be entertaining. No sport should regularly have that as a result and I cannot fathom how the hell soccer became the world's leading sport. It's got nothing on AFL, let alone my beloved rugby union.

Axver said:

Eliminating the off-side rule outside of the goal square is the quickest way I can see to getting rid of games ending in 0-0. I watch sport to be entertained, not to try to analyse some tactics being played/botched by overpaid idiots. And 0-0 is just never going to be entertaining. No sport should regularly have that as a result and I cannot fathom how the hell soccer became the world's leading sport. It's got nothing on AFL, let alone my beloved rugby union.

Fucking :rockon:

0-0 CAN be thrilling....those last 15 minutes of trying to go 1-0 can be really exciting!

Go Pies :lol: I was expecting to us to loose, but I think our tour of Africa, and the fact that supposivley some of our place had Gastro(?)...added about 50 points onto our loss.

I'm trying not to get too excited about this season (but kinda failing!), like some of you as well. I think Sydney are going to blow arse this year, and this combined with the increased bitching and bullshit, plus the sneaking in of the half-star tabloid stories like dickface Carey are making me one of those grumpy old people who rock on their verandahs dreaming of the old days when it was just football, and 'just football' was enough.

Angela Harlem said:
the increased bitching and bullshit, plus the sneaking in of the half-star tabloid stories like dickface Carey are making me one of those grumpy old people who rock on their verandahs dreaming of the old days when it was just football, and 'just football' was enough.

:bow:

Man I wish I lived back then.

I have this real shit feeling that I am not as passionate about Geelong anymore... I mean I wanted for the longest time to see a Cats premiership, and there was one, and ever since we got into the final after that prelim, I've felt very indiffernent. :(

Well, the NAB really kicks into gear this weekend. I am so happy.

Tonight the Sainters take on Richmond, also the Dogs play the Kangaroos.

Melb v Geel, Port v Carlton and Ess v Lions are tomorrow and Haw v Syd and Frem v WC are on the Sunday.

And also I'd like to let everyone know that my (hopeful) career as a sports journalist is beginning to take off. I am now writing for Werribee Tigers in the VFL, doing match reports and player reports and so on. I'll be posting a few articles and such throughout the year, so enjoy!

Well it wasn't show on Channel 7, but from the looks of it it was pretty scrappy.

Anyway St. Kilda plays the winner of Us and Melbourne.

Honestly if we lose this game I will not care in the slightest.

Well we smashed Melbourne, Essendon beat Brisbane, Carlton beat Port, who I think will be shit this year.

Also the talk about 18 teams by 2012 is back on the agenda. What do people think of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom