The Official 2008 Lonely Hearts AFL Thread!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter Everitt has retired.

Good!

And it's always a beautiful day when Scum lose unexpectedly and are out of the premiership race. Good Old Collingwood for Never!

Geelong vs Hawthorn - keep the dream alive - piss off Saints and Dogs.

A Geelong v Hawthorn grand final... :drool:

I sometimes wish U2 could drop in at the AFL grand final one day and play in the pre-match entertainment. :hyper: :drool:

I wonder how Didak and Shaw are feeling about themselves right now. Actually, it's mad monday, so they're probably driving around :happy:

:giggle:

We wouldn't have won if they had played on saturday night. Saint Nick was fucking brilliant. He took about 20,000 Marks and was able to kick straight.

Everytime Collingwood went into attack St.Kilda had the doubleteam Travis Cloke or whoever was going up for a mark. Ross Lyon totally out coached Mick on saturday, So much so I left at 3 quarter time.

Would have like to have seen Robert Harvey's "send off" though. I'll be barraking for the Saints next week, just for Number 35's sake.

So predictably Geelong have made the grand final with that 29pt win over WBulldogs, now its St Kilda v Hawthorn, Hawks should win but Stk beat them last time.

I badly want a Geelong v Hawthorn GF because it will probably be close but if it was St Kilda v Geelong it would be boring cos Geelong will smash them.

So, Cats and Hawks GF. :yawn:

Is it just me, or has there been absolutely nothing interesting about this final series? At least in comparison to some of the more recent previous ones. No particularly close games, no upsets.

Good, anything other than a Geelong v Hawthorn GF would be a disgrace. The game will be a cracker, finally an AFL match to get excited about this season.

I seriously think the finals series is overly long-winded with so many pointless games. They should revert back to a top 5.

So, Cats and Hawks GF. :yawn:

Is it just me, or has there been absolutely nothing interesting about this final series? At least in comparison to some of the more recent previous ones. No particularly close games, no upsets.

I do agree with you actually. The Dogs/Cats game was ok, but other than that it's been an average series. Being hailed as an 89 rematch.

Good, anything other than a Geelong v Hawthorn GF would be a disgrace. The game will be a cracker, finally an AFL match to get excited about this season.

I seriously think the finals series is overly long-winded with so many pointless games. They should revert back to a top 5.

Andrew Demented wants a top nine or ten, and he wants the grand final at night. O how I hate him so.

I agree - should be a good game! I'm considering putting a few dollars on Hawthorn to win, Geelong have got to lose a game eventually don't they?

Brownlow night tonight. I'm assuming Gary Ablett Jnr is a shoe-in after missing out last year!

I agree - should be a good game! I'm considering putting a few dollars on Hawthorn to win, Geelong have got to lose a game eventually don't they?

Brownlow night tonight. I'm assuming Gary Ablett Jnr is a shoe-in after missing out last year!

Well, to win he has to deny about 70 years of history. The legendary Hadyn Bunton - my late grandfather says he was the best player he'd ever seen - was the last man to win a Brownlow medal after missing four or more games throughout the year, polling 23 votes in 14 games.

Ablett missed four games through injury, and won't poll in the game in which he was injured, so effectively he needs to poll 23+ votes from 17 games, in a side where he'll lose votes to Selwood, Corey, Bartel... though I'm still confident he can win, because he had a number of standout games.

Brent Harvey'll win, there's too many Geelong players to snare votes off each other. Shame really, Harvey isn't all that clever, just a prolific possession getter who can fluke a goal here and there playing in a team of no-names.. Hardly one of the gun midfielder's in the league.

I'd prefer a finals series where all the teams are quite close, it gets boring seeing Geelong walk thru teams, still a predictable outcome and boring to watch unless the game is close and entertaining (enter Geel v Haw earlier this year) or you are a Geelong fan. :down:

I enjoyed the 05 and 06 finals series because there were no clear favourites, the two GFs between WCE and Sydney entertained me a lot because of the intensity and the "one slip up and you'll lose the game" feeling. I didn't mind last years GF because Geelong pummelled the enemy Pt Adelaide. :D

Well Cooney won the medal, what a tense ending! Simon Black is a proven votewinner, anyone that jumped on him or Cooney would have been very pleased. One punter had $1000 on him at $41. Pleased to see Joel Selwood reap 19 votes in just his second year, shattered for Gazza.

What I'm not happy about is Adam Goodes. Everyone fucking loves him for some reason. A good player, sure. He had one of his worst years for a while, even Paul Roos admitted that. And he got 21 votes!!! He had to be reported about four bloody times before he was finally suspended, but the biggest travesty was that he received two votes in the first game against us. Now, on that day Gary Ablett played a blinder, and Goodes was kept to 14 touches, trounced by Cameron Ling, and kicked four behinds. This was the game Roos was unimpressed by him. But the umpires adjudged him the second best player on the ground! What the hell?!?!

Tense Brownlow indeed, disappointing result. Cooney's just another midfielder who happens to rack up plenty of possessions, there's about 10 other midfielder's in the league who I'd much rather have playing in my side.

Would've loved to have seen Richo snare the medal, would've been awesome. Top bloke, as well as player.

Tense Brownlow indeed, disappointing result. Cooney's just another midfielder who happens to rack up plenty of possessions, there's about 10 other midfielder's in the league who I'd much rather have playing in my side.

Would've loved to have seen Richo snare the medal, would've been awesome. Top bloke, as well as player.

We were talking about this last night. If you got asked, who was the best midfielder this year, the answer undoubtedly is Ablett. Really, he's the best player for mine. But according to the umpires, Richardson had as good a season as Ablett, which is just wrong, though I was supporting him too. Best performance by a forward in some time.

And as much as I like Goodesy, if he's capable of snaring 21 votes, than Kirk should've snared 35 votes.

Hear today that Hall might be leaving Sydney?

I'd be really surprised if he played another season at Sydney, to be honest, and even more surprised if he played one at another club. Who'd want him? He's not half the forward he was 5 years ago. He's on the retiree list, for sure.

Hope he leaves, he's a liability.

Swannies are still a good side, yet Hawthorn, Footscray and Geelong are not threatened by us and we are no threat for a flag. Rebuilding starts now, let's avoid potential years of languishing in the bottom eight, and start focusing on being the next Geelong. No major clean out necessary, let the older folk retire when they need to and make sure key players (Goodes, Malceski) sign contracts.

I'd be really surprised if he played another season at Sydney, to be honest, and even more surprised if he played one at another club. Who'd want him? He's not half the forward he was 5 years ago. He's on the retiree list, for sure.

Fair point though I'm suprised to see you say it! Still played a few good games.

Hope he leaves, he's a liability.

Swannies are still a good side, yet Hawthorn, Footscray and Geelong are not threatened by us and we are no threat for a flag. Rebuilding starts now, let's avoid potential years of languishing in the bottom eight, and start focusing on being the next Geelong. No major clean out necessary, let the older folk retire when they need to and make sure key players (Goodes, Malceski) sign contracts.

I agree, I think you need to bite the bullet. Referring to Malthouse's wondrous Premiership clock, Syndey are at about 1:30 I'd say, which means that whilst they're still a good side, it's time to weigh up well do we have another half-hearted tilt that could damage in future years or bite the bullet, clean out the club, bottom out and come back? Look at us and Hawks -- we did just that and sure we endured hardship but it always turns around in AFL, it's not like dirt EPL. Carlton and Richmond appear to be back, Melbourne and Freo appear to be the only clubs in trouble (Port probably just need to rebuild, West Coast, well who knows what the fuck happened there).

West Coast, well who knows what the fuck happened there).

Matilda_Compass.jpg

Tips for AFL GF?

I reckon it will be quite close between Geelong + Hawthorn, it would be quite entertaining.

Geelong will probably win though.

Congratulations to Hawthorn in the Grand Final, defying the odds by beating a team who have previously only lost one game in the 2008 season! Who would've thought!?

Geelong will be kicking themselves considering they won nearly all the other games and lost in the one they had to win in most!

Great GF :hyper:

Still shocked! It was more like the 01 GF than anything else!

Bad luck Geelong, it wasn't so much that the Hawks won as it was that you guys lost. I'll still look at 08 as Geelong's year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom