The MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I googled it after I posted that.

And totally forgot what it is he does for them again already

:lol:

What do you think about the main event this weekend? How does this fight sit with you as a long-term fan? As someone who came over from Pro Wrestling, I find the idea of Lewis fighting for a belt hilarious and am loving every second of this. As someone who also really hates fights getting made by talk alone, obviously Lewis is *not* a true contender, but my love of the lulz is winning right now. I don't want Lewis to win, though. That would be terrible for D.C.

Heavyweight is the one division I accept that kind of ridiculousness in. There’s a strong tradition of weirdness at HW in mma. Hell, Bellator just had Chael Sonnen fight Fedor as part of their “heavyweight” grand prix. And Ryan Bader stands to win the whole thing (unless he already did and I missed it. I still don’t get that channel).

I like Derrick Lewis, but I’m glad the mma gods didn’t fuck with DC’s plans.

I am glad he didn't win in a way, but I'm pissed they didn't give him a post-fight interview.

Bader vs Fedor is in January, I believe. And it's here in LA. I want to go badly, but it's very likely not in the cards.

When it looked like Lewis was going to lose the Volkov fight, I told the friends I was watching the card with that it’s too bad he’s probably not going to win this one because his post fight interviews are the best. And then he won, and we got the Balls Was Hot interview.

Even his self-deprecating interviews are good. Man's a treasure.

So, uh....Floyd vs Tenshin.....

I’m willfully trying to remain ignorant of whatever this Mayweather Tenshin for a few reasons.

1. I’m so tired of hearing about Mayweather in any capacity.

2. It’s been all over my twitter so it’s only a matter of time before it becomes so ubiquitous I can’t avoid it and find out what it is. Maybe if I’m really lucky it’ll go away before I do, but I’m not holding my breath.

3. I have no idea who Tenshin is, and I don’t really care.

The reason I'm excited is because hopefully it means a lot of people will soon know who Tenshin is. You definitely should care a little. He's 20 years old, 27-0 at kickboxing, just fought Horiguchi in Guchi's first kickboxing match, and is making a slow transition over to MMA. He's 4-0 in MMA, but against no-wiki-havin' cans. And I realize this is also in Japan so all if it maybe could be taken with a grain of salt, but he looks like a character out of Tekken and he's SO fun to watch fight.

If you aren't *too* adverse, please to enjoy:

Yeah I was listening to a podcast yesterday and while they were talking about him I was thinking “damn it’s too bad it’s too late to edit that part about not caring,” even though I assumed you were the only one who might see it. I probably should care who he is, he sounds plenty fun to watch.

So now I’ve gone and gotten myself caught up, this is my opinion now:
Rizin has Gaby Garcia fight a couple different grandmas, so whatever this thing is or isn’t going to be, it still will not be the weirdest thing they’ve done.

Not even close. This is why I'm so excited. Rizin is fucking hilarious, and I will happily spend money to watch this fight, because it is money that at least a little bit will be going to Rizin and that makes me happy. Because mixed in with the stupidity is stuff like Guchi vs Tenshin and that makes all the difference.

Oh and letting Daron Cruickshank walk out like this:

https://vimeo.com/291769150

871061292.jpg

gsp_2.jpg

Shit, I just realized this means I got to see his last fight in person.

Fucking Bisping, if he hadn't taken that stupid fight against Kelvin, I could've seen them both retire.

I am the retire-r. I saw Uriah Faber's last fight too, and I ALMOST saw Dan Henderson's last fight.

I didn't expect how emotional GSP's retirement would make me. He's probably my favorite athlete / sports star of all time.

I wonder if JT is ok.

Seriously though, I purposely didn’t read any of the looking back on the career of GSP articles. My twitter timeline felt almost like the guy died instead of retired as it was, I had to keep reminding myself he just retired after basically being retired for technically most of the time I’ve been hardcore into mma. Despite that last thing I just said, he’s one of my favorites too.

If I did a little digging to when I originally dug up the part 1 mma thread, I could probably pinpoint with decent accuracy exactly when I because a “shit eating wildman” for this stuff, a phrase I’m going to perhaps ironically borrow from favorite mma podcast. But it’s more fun to tell it as I remember, which is somewhere before ufc 167 I sought the advice of mofo and JT here, and watched every GSP fight I could get my hands on in a pre fight pass climate. And the first time I called out of work to watch a PPV was the Hendricks fight, which was also the one and only time I ever went to watch a card at the movie theater (is that even a thing anymore? because that was pretty cool). In reality, I very distinctly remember watching the post fight press conference after Pettis armbarred Benson Henderson, so I not only watched that card but cared enough to sit around long enough to listen to Frank Mir’s complaining about the stoppage against Barnett. Some googling tells me that was a few cards earlier. Either way, GSP was an awesome fighter, classy as fuck, and really into aliens. As much as I’d love to see him fight again, I’d rather like to see a guy like that (although I’m not sure if or when we’ll see a guy like that in this sport again) call a press conference to announce his retirement rather than his upcoming bareknuckle boxing event in Wyoming. :up:

Sorry for re-tweeting so many GSP things. :wink:

:lol:

The point of that long, rambling post was that I’m actually going to miss watching GSP fight a lot more than I have any claim to, which isn’t a point I think I got across.

I'm getting pretty psyched for this weekend. Praying to Cthulhu that nothing falls out.

Yeah, my friend is buying it, so I'm excited to go over and watch it, and will be ever so bummed if anything falls through.

Whoa, Cro Cop is completely retired now as well. He had a stroke, but he's OK now.

Reddit post:
Not epilepsy. Just this moment Crocop said on Croatian TV station Nov@ he suffered a brain hemorrhage, or a stroke in other words, due to something called a vein dissection. He announced his immediate retirement.
Mirko said he was suffering from intermittent neck pain for the last two months, but all medical tests (MRI, Color doppler) came back fine. Suddenly, in the last couple of days he felt faint several times especially during driving and when turning his head back while reversing the car, until completely losing consciousness during training the other day.
He seems fine now, speaks perfectly normal, though a bit sad and disappointed, but all of his fighting and contact training days are over, period. He said he's not taking any more chances with his brain or life, as any hit to the head could result in another stroke that would be almost certainly fatal.
He'll definitely never set foot in the ring again.
You can watch the interview here for those that understand the language.

Well that was an insanely easy pay day for Jones. He’s going to clear the division out again without even trying.

Guyz, I called Usman 4 years ago. I have almost never been prouder of myself in my life and that's pretty sad, but I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I LIKE BEING RIGHT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom