The MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally listening to the GSP JRE. Us mma fans do not deserve GSP.

Last edited:
I am absolutely heartbroken right now, but I can't pretend I didn't see it coming. Heard way too many people sleeping on DC, like they just ignore his entire HW record.

Smart game plan from DC and his team, they were ready for that and took great advantage of it. Ready for another superfight, too, with Brock, will be fun. I hope at least once I get to see Brock toss him across the cage, but ultimately, I assume DC takes it.

I forgot you’re a big Stipe fan.

MMA people have short memories, I totally see how the first guy to defend the HW belt 3 times was a favorite over a 39 year old dude talking about having a set retirement date, who the narrative around his LHW belt is that he only has it because Jon Jones keeps fucking up. At the post fight presser DC rattled off his long list of coming up short in the “big one” going all the way back to his college wrestling career. He almost pulled a Tony Ferguson pre-fight (without sunglasses at least). It becomes kinda easy to look past the fact that he was undefeated at HW when he hasn’t fought in that division in like five years ago. I saw people arguing that 6’4” Stipe would be too big for 5’11 DC to wrestle, to which I think the only suitable reply should have been a GIF of him launching Gustafsson in the air.

I’m not a huge DC fan and I did want Stipe to win before the fight happened (although I kind of forget why, and I ended up being happy for DC in the immediate rather than sad for Stipe), but I’d like anyone to punch Brock back over to the WWE. I’d still rather watch Stipe do it, but I’m good with DC getting the big pay day while I wait for Lesnar to get too old for the ufc to keep doing this stupid thing again.

Yeah, Stipe's probably my favorite fighter, it flips between him and Bisping on the regular, but majority of the time it's Stipe.

I get why people thought he would win, but the more I was watching DC's old HW fights, the more certain I was Stipe didn't stand a chance. Got pretty excited at the beginning when it looked like he was rocking him a lot, but, I mean I don't want to be sour grapes or anything, but those eye pokes definitely didn't help anything.

I really do love Brock being in the UFC. If it was at a different weight class, maybe it would bother me, but Heavyweight is such a joke of a division as it is, I can't really be too bothered by the theatrics. At least something is happening.

Good lord, I can not understand wtf that Ngannou/Lewis fight was.

I didn’t go back and recently watch any of DC’s older fights (although if I had, maybe I would have remembered why i originally didn’t like him), and Stipe’s so good, I fell for it.

I can’t disagree with you on HW being a circus division. Doesn’t matter what organization, heavyweight is always going to be some level of bananas it seems. Bellator’s bananas are just a little more fun to me right now than these Lesnar comebacks.

Can you call it a fight if there are less than 20 punches landed between both guys in all the rounds?

I want to say I kinda understand from Lewis' standpoint. Like, what the hell was he supposed to do? You have to respect Ngannou's power, but the dude wasn't engaging at all. He's not really a wrestler, and he didn't have reach on him at all (hence, I imagine, all of those headkicks), but that doesn't mean he wasn't super timid as well.

Crazy, crazy fight. Wonder how these two will recover after this.

I just thought it was funny how Lewis was like “I don’t know how to do takedowns so idk what to do in the fight.” Bro how many fights do you have in the ufc where you’ve inexplicably taken someone down. :lol:

I think what happened was Stipe stole Ngannou’s soul in their fight and no one told Lewis, so he avoided fighting like he didn’t want to be the new Overeem gif.

I wanted Stipe to win too. Not thrilled about the outcome, but still happy for DC. He deserves the praise and happiness, despite my personal preference. It was an extremely entertaining card. Excited for this weekend as well, pretty loaded card for being on FS1.

There’s a Glory card here next month and I’ll probably try to go. It’s like less than 15 min from my house.

And Mike Perry vs Cowboy, which is kinda funny since Perry just moved to Jacksons, but the way he was talking it maybe was only for that one camp? IDK.

UFC star Conor McGregor pleaded guilty to a single violation of disorderly conduct in Brooklyn criminal court on Thursday, for his involvement in an incident on April 5 at Barclays Center.

McGregor, 30, entered the plea as part of a deal worked out with the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office. The agreement involves no jail time and will not affect McGregor's travel visa. He will not have a criminal record.

Additional conditions of the deal include full restitution to the bus company for any damages suffered, which McGregor already has fulfilled, five days of community service and an anger management program lasting one to three days.

I want to see Conor get his face smeshed in by Khabib, but I don't want to support an organization that lets their fighters harm other fighters outside of the octagon and then use it later in promo footage.

gmnkqp0y7pq11.jpg

Mighty Mouse for Ben Askren, because things haven’t been weird enough lately. Still can’t figure out how anyone could simultaneously call DJ boring and want to watch Askren fight but people are
dumb. :shrug:

I am baffled by this, except that clearly they have no interest in keeping the flyweight division.

That. And as long as Dana White is around, the best predictor of what the UFC will do is to just look at the things he’s said they’ll never do.

Doesn’t Matt Hume work for One, too? (IDK why I’m asking that here when google exists)

Yeah I googled it after I posted that.

And totally forgot what it is he does for them again already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom