The MMA Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm shocked, does he get to keep the 2.5 million?
Good thing he was not the the head liner.
Dana lucked out on that one.

Can't tell if you actually think it would make a difference where he was placed on the card, or you still think we wanted him to headline. The stakes (or lack of) and meaningfulness of the fight (or lack thereof) didn't change regardless of placement. I never said "I think Brock Lesnar should headline ufc 200," no one in here did. I said I totally understood why they had briefly put the fight in that slot--to make sure casuals buy it. 212er agreed, mofo just commented on the fact that say what you want about WWE fake nonsense entertainment, there was a time when Lesnar was legit enough to have been a champ. I'm glad they didn't leave it there, even if there hadn't been another real title fight after the lhw fell apart, I would have preferred the interim* one to get bumped up. especially after the fact knowing how the fight went I'm glad we won't be talking about a potential Lesnar vs Derrick Lewis (or someone else with non-existent takedown defense at heavyweight) in 8 or 9 months when he decides he won that won, maybe another fight will be a good idea.

*real featherweight belt because it's stupid as fuck to have the guy supposedly holding your 145 belt go up to 170 to fight a 155er who whooped his ass the first time. but again, that's $$$ talking.

Hunt's asking for half or to be let out of his contract. Cant blame him for wanting to see if Rizin might give him a big ass payday to fight that ghost of Fedor that Maldonado just almost beat.

Last edited:
Everything's musical chairs these days.

My theory is this: The UFC have been making some pretty odd matchmaking decisions lately, by and large, I think we can all agree on that. The thing about MMA vs Boxing is the gloves are smaller, so, to my understanding, knockouts are easier to achieve. The musical chairs, IMO is a result of champs not taking their opponents seriously, wanting a flashy knockout and a win bonus, and paying the price. Robbie wouldn't stop talking about how much he wanted to knock out Tyron in the first round, Rockhold has gone on record as leading with his chin and fighting in a way he wouldn't normally, RDA I don't know, he might've just got beat. All the way back to Aldo, you have a one punch knockout on a guy leading with his chin. There's a need right now, it seems, for these fighters to "prove" themselves in some way and as a result the "mixed" in MMA is going right out the window in favor of pure boxing, and going back to the glove size, that's causing more "lucky shot" knockouts. Hence why the only two champs still hanging around are DJ and JJ, since they're in lower weight-classes that don't easily result in KO finishes. They're also very smart fighters, and are still playing a well-rounded game. And I'm not discounting other victories, mind you. Miesha's win over Holly was a great display. As was Holly's over Ronda. I'm mainly thinking of Aldo, Werdum, Lawler and Rockhold.

Everything's musical chairs these days.

sure is. not saying it's any one thing sometimes you just get knocked out, small gloves, styles make fights, etc, and chaos seems to be a guarantee as soon as a long-reigning champ loses/leaves. flyweight will probably be in all kinds of disarray when MM no longer has the belt. it was pretty awesome in 2015/2016 being able to say Robbie Lawler welterweight champ, crazy that a guy from as far back as ufc 37 was headlining 201 (and isn't named Dan Henderson).

still, the wind whispers.....
usadaaaaaaaaa

Just watched this tonight. Good stuff, thanks for the heads up. Dude is almost like a new Diaz bro.

I still haven't watched that (I'm catching up on the Rory Wonderboy card finally). is that the one who's talking shit during the fight or the one who told his mom to shut up?

Wish I was in Utah to go to tomorrow's show, excited to watch it on TV regardless.

Wish I was in Utah to go to tomorrow's show, excited to watch it on TV regardless.

hopefully it ends up being one of those cards where it's a lot of crazy good fights despite the fact that there's like 7 people* anyone's heard of on the card (and poor Utah McGee is still there in the prelims, never mind Cub Swanson relegated to fight pass).

*i exaggerate, I've heard of 14 out of the 24 fighters on this card. there's 8 without Wikipedia pages though.

Facebook prelims were pretty good.

Agreed, crazy to see Cub fighting so early. He's probably the biggest name on the whole card.

That Japanese kid from Alpha Male looked pretty good.

That Japanese kid whenever he gets interviewed he says the only thing he wants from UFC is to be able to get more girls. Also, at the early prelims it look like they had a pretty good turnout I'm hoping this event sells well and they'll come back to Utah

Haha the BYU football coaching staff is there for some reason (maybe for McGee?) just saw Ty Detmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom