The Devin Hester Appreciation Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #1
The Fly
 
LastEdgeOnEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 229
Local Time: 06:15 AM
The Devin Hester Appreciation Thread

Big Bears fan obviously, but you don't have to be one to realize that this kid is among the crop pf youngsters that are the FUTURE of the NFL.

He is something that comes along once every 20 or 30 years. He'll be the first ever FIRST-BALLOT Return Man in the Hall of Fame no doubt.

So this thread's for you "Anytime"!

"Why do they make me do it?"
-Devin Hester's future T-shirt
__________________

__________________
LastEdgeOnEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,407
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Re: The Devin Hester Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth
He is something that comes along once every 20 or 30 years. He'll be the first ever FIRST-BALLOT Return Man in the Hall of Fame no doubt.
I will put down $150 right now that Devin Hester will never be in the Hall of Fame.
__________________

__________________
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
The Fly
 
LastEdgeOnEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 229
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Re: Re: The Devin Hester Appreciation Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


I will put down $150 right now that Devin Hester will never be in the Hall of Fame.
Are you out of your mind? Or just kiddin around?
__________________
LastEdgeOnEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,407
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Apparently the former.

Devin Hester is a one-trick pony, and nobody will ever kick the ball to him again.
__________________
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict
 
Dalton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
Posts: 15,147
Local Time: 07:15 AM
In fairness, Dave, Hester is fast AND quick. That's two tricks.
__________________
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
The Fly
 
LastEdgeOnEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 229
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
Apparently the former.

Devin Hester is a one-trick pony, and nobody will ever kick the ball to him again.
One trick pony huh? That's what everybody in the world said after his rookie season. What did Hester do? Oh right! He broke his own single season record for touchdowns!

Not kick to him? They tried that this past season. And yet he kpet getting it and scoring. The NFL is a league of pride. Teams will keep kicking to him...at least until the playoffs start.
__________________
LastEdgeOnEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,407
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth


One trick pony huh? That's what everybody in the world said after his rookie season. What did Hester do? Oh right! He broke his own single season record for touchdowns!
So, he was known only for returning kicks in his rookie season, and everybody said that was all he could do. Then, the next season he goes out and is known only for returning kicks in his sophomore season, and everybody still knows that's all he can do.

Do you know what "one-trick pony" means?

Quote:
Not kick to him? They tried that this past season. And yet he kpet getting it and scoring. The NFL is a league of pride. Teams will keep kicking to him...at least until the playoffs start.
Stupid coaches (ie, the ones that kick to Hester) get fired because they lose games (not only because of DH). People learn quickly not to do things that will get them fired from their jobs. Those that don't don't keep their jobs and therefore will not be around to kick to Hester. We call this "natural selection" - idiots lose.

Hester's a great kick returner (he scored a LOT of points for me in Fantasy Football last season), don't get me wrong. But first-ballot Hall of Famer? You gotta be kidding.
__________________
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:51 PM   #8
The Fly
 
LastEdgeOnEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 229
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC


So, he was known only for returning kicks in his rookie season, and everybody said that was all he could do. Then, the next season he goes out and is known only for returning kicks in his sophomore season, and everybody still knows that's all he can do.

Do you know what "one-trick pony" means?



Stupid coaches (ie, the ones that kick to Hester) get fired because they lose games (not only because of DH). People learn quickly not to do things that will get them fired from their jobs. Those that don't don't keep their jobs and therefore will not be around to kick to Hester. We call this "natural selection" - idiots lose.

Hester's a great kick returner (he scored a LOT of points for me in Fantasy Football last season), don't get me wrong. But first-ballot Hall of Famer? You gotta be kidding.
Sorry, I interpreted "one-trick pony" as one hit wonder I guess.

But Hester did have 2 receiving td's of 81 and 55 yards too. So he's gradually moving from ONE-TRICK to TWO! He'll probably catch 6 or 7 this year, not to mention the usual 6 or 7 return td's and be in the running for league MVP

He may not make first ballot, but tell me a guy who re-invented the return game in the NFL and draws MVP considertaion as a return man and part-time receiver won't make The Hall.
__________________
LastEdgeOnEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #9
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,664
Local Time: 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth


Sorry, I interpreted "one-trick pony" as one hit wonder I guess.

But Hester did have 2 receiving td's of 81 and 55 yards too. So he's gradually moving from ONE-TRICK to TWO! He'll probably catch 6 or 7 this year, not to mention the usual 6 or 7 return td's and be in the running for league MVP

He may not make first ballot, but tell me a guy who re-invented the return game in the NFL and draws MVP considertaion as a return man and part-time receiver won't make The Hall.
Hester is a game-breaker and an exciting player, no doubt. But I'm sorry, someone who, as you say, will make six or seven catches in his third year in addition to six or seven return TD's is not now, nor will he ever be Hall of Fame material.

If he consistently makes 70-100 catches per season, with 1,000+ yards and 10-15 TD's then that would be a different story. But that will never happen because he's too valuable to the Bears' return game to ever play WR for more than a few snaps per game.
__________________

BoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: illegitimi non carborundum
Posts: 17,407
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoManiac
If he consistently makes 70-100 catches per season, with 1,000+ yards and 10-15 TD's then that would be a different story. But that will never happen because he's too valuable to the Bears' return game to ever play WR for more than a few snaps per game.
__________________
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:46 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
zonelistener's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: six convenient metro locations
Posts: 14,747
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth


He may not make first ballot, but tell me a guy who re-invented the return game in the NFL and draws MVP considertaion as a return man and part-time receiver won't make The Hall.
Please tell me how he has "re-invented the return game"?

The return game is a pretty simple concept: Catch a ball, run, use your teams blocking scheme, avoid tackles. I cannot see how he has "re-invented" this concept.
__________________
zonelistener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #12
The Fly
 
LastEdgeOnEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 229
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener


Please tell me how he has "re-invented the return game"?

The return game is a pretty simple concept: Catch a ball, run, use your teams blocking scheme, avoid tackles. I cannot see how he has "re-invented" this concept.
Uh duh....he's reinvented it by the simple fact that special teams coaches are now devising never before schemes to avoid kicking the ball to dangerous return men such as Hester. Last year the NFL set a new record for return td's.

But Hester started it all in '06. Special Teams has become a very important part of the game. Hester has basically singlehandedly decided 10 games for the Bears over the last 2 years. A RETURN MAN!

And to the guy who thought I meant Hester would catch 6 or 7 PASSES...I was talking TOUCHDOWNS! He caught 30 balls last year!

He'll catch anywhere between 40-60 this year I'm sure with 6 or 7 tds. Then 6 or 7 return td's. Throw in a rushing td. And for good measure he'll probably pass for one. And if he does all that, you people are telling me he wouldn't get MVP consideration or HOF consideration?(if he does that kind of thing the duration of his career)

That's ONE GUY accounting for 14 td's at the least who touches the ball maybe 5 times a game. He averages a td every 1 out of every 11 times he touches the ball now. NO ONE IN THE NFL CAN BOAST THAT STAT!!!

HE WILL MAKE THE HALL....ANY ARGUMENT TO THE CONTRARY IS JUST LUDACRIS!!!!
__________________
LastEdgeOnEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Acrobat
 
Dusty Bottoms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: On the veranda
Posts: 443
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Return men have a good couple years, but wear out fast due to the pounding they take. Dante Hall was amazing for a couple of years as well, but soon Hester will become just as irrelevant as Hall is now.
__________________
Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
speedracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: MD
Posts: 7,572
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LastEdgeOnEarth


Uh duh....he's reinvented it by the simple fact that special teams coaches are now devising never before schemes to avoid kicking the ball to dangerous return men such as Hester. Last year the NFL set a new record for return td's.

I am pretty sure techniques such as the squib kickoff, the really really high kickoff and the punt out-of-bounds were invented before Devin Hester was born.

Also, I'll gladly lay 2:1 odds that Devin Hester doesn't have 6 TD catches this year.
__________________
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
The Fly
 
LastEdgeOnEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 229
Local Time: 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer


I am pretty sure techniques such as the squib kickoff, the really really high kickoff and the punt out-of-bounds were invented before Devin Hester was born.

Also, I'll gladly lay 2:1 odds that Devin Hester doesn't have 6 TD catches this year.
I'll take those odds in a heart beat!!! Easy money, cowboy!

And I'm just quoting what many NFL analysts have said, verbatim "Hester has re-invented the return game"

Yeah squibs and high kicks have been around. But never before has it been seen so frequently since Hester began this "return renaissance" 2 years ago. Like I said, it's all over the league now, not just because of Hester, but also guys like Cribbs, Washington, Figurs, Jones-Drew and so on.

But Hester started all this and continues to set the standard!!!
__________________

__________________
LastEdgeOnEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
devin hester

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com