The all-things-tennis thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't hate him, I just have experience of playing against this sort of player when I was young. :lol: That forehand is ridiculous, even if it did lull Murray into a false sense of comfort.

Desperately hoping Fed wins tonight. I'm gonna fork out for quarters tickets if he does. I've never actually seen him live and if this turns out to be his last goaround I'll never forgive myself.

Hell no. With Djokovic out, it's finally Kei's chance.

F1nTC0mLxsZw4wxXiNPXDRz3ni7MXpw4U9le4XzJ73n5VzrODpEc_WRUMHw8-7bUzGC6QXxg=w488-h301-nc

Federer is so great. Nothing better than watching him at his best (or at least close to it).

I fell asleep during the third set. The turn halfway through set two was painful to watch. Ugh, Kei is the very definition of great, but not champion.

He will get there one day. I don't think many would have beaten Federer in the kind of form he has shown in the last two matches.

He will get there one day. I don't think many would have beaten Federer in the kind of form he has shown in the last two matches.
I don't really know if he will. I've only been watching tennis for two years, mind you, but I've been watching Kei specifically that entire time, as much as I've been able. What I've seen from him is almost a regression. He was probably at his peak when I started watching and since then, he just kinda seems to have stagnated, if not, as I said, regressed. He is young, and there's time for changes, of course, I'm just not so certain he'll ever be much better than he was a couple years ago.

But that's a VERY uninformed opinion, right there.

I think Federer has decided it's a bit all or nothing approach and is taking advantage that Nadal just doesn't have the physical fitness any more, Novak has checked out and Murray may have done the same, so he's going to got at 100 miles an hour this year before he physically can't do it any more.

The next few years will be a bit of a changing of the guard - it'll happen to the women's game very soon too - and really if you make a run for it, you're a chance.

Nishikori is 27. Still got time.

Ian are you saying Djokovic and Murray have both "checked out" in this tournament..? Or altogether? If it's the latter I completely disagree, though I do agree about Federer.

There will be no changing of the guard in the women's though. Serena will continue to dominate being maybe the greatest sportsperson ever and the group of women directly underneath her will continue to fluctuate.

We're fortunate that in today's tennis world that 27 is still very much a relatively young age. I for one am glad we're past the era where 30 was considered old and close to retirement on the singles tour (doubles on the other hand has always had players play well into their 30s).

There will be no changing of the guard in the women's though. Serena will continue to dominate being maybe the greatest sportsperson ever and the group of women directly underneath her will continue to fluctuate.

The main competitor has just had a child, too.

If Rafa wins tomorrow night I'll fucking cry. I'm so upset I didn't get home in time to watch Fed win. I went to the Zverev game and it was nice to watch him dominate but there was no competition.

A Fed-Rafa final in 2017, to top off a Venus-Serena final. Imagine that. So fucking beautiful.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I'm generally happy that tennis players are playing well into their 30s rather than being considered old at 27/28.

How could you not love it?!

Watching Zverev I got what you mean. He literally lost because his serve-volley strategy was a gigantic failure.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

:up:

Good game so far. Pretty tense. Surprised I don't follow tennis more often I always really enjoy watching it the few times I do.

Found the guy shouting "Finish her!" during Venus Williams semi final pretty funny, but you know, little things and little minds.

That point that Nadal won to go 4-1 up in the fourth set is the best point I've ever seen. He had no business getting to that point, LET ALONE winning it.

Back
Top Bottom