The all-things-tennis thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On that note, I'm baffled as to what Ch 7 actually see in Basil. He's hopeless, and I've never known anyone who actually likes his presence in commentary.

He just wants to be Cometti and he's terrible at it. It just feels so forced and so try hard. Send him off to Foxtel to do the NBL or something.

No posts in here for basically a full year, wow.

Right now I am watching my favorite tennis player (Genie) and she is wearing the CUTEST pink outfit. And she just broke Halep's serve in the first. Fuck Halep.

Are you guys into Ash Barty? Is she related to BARTY CROUCH JR???

So much for Bouchard. Halep could finally break through for her first major.

Hoping Del Potro comes good in the men's. enjoyed watching him get it done the other night at Margaret Court. Lovely evening out.

chairman of the place I work is taking me tonight, wooooo

just wish it was the good game with the best ever and the new cult hero, not the other semi :(

If he takes out Djokovic, I'll be hard-pressed not to cheer him on, even with Del Potro and (for the moment) Nishikori still in this.

I don't watch enough tennis to know the difference - but if I said that she said to a basketball ref he'd toss me. Questioning their integrity gets them much more pissy than cursing.

Alas - I have zero clue if this is commonplace in tennis, it if a male tennis player would get away with it, cause i don't watch the tennis.

I already got accused of being racist and sexist on Facebook for making the same points.

I actually do agree there was some sexism at play. Earlier in the same Open the biggest diva in all of Pro Tennis got a pep talk from a judge for not playing up to his potential. And as the article mentions, Thiem, I don't believe, even received a warning for smashing his racquet.

What the article fails to mention, I think, was that from my understanding it wasn't clear to Serena that she was assessed a warning for the coaching from the stands, hence her shock when she received the point penalty for smashing her racquet later. Her behavior from that point was inexcusable, but it's what it is. I do think she's had some emotional postpartum issues, as evidenced from some of her other off-the-court talk/behavior since having her baby. I don't want to play armchair psychologist, though, that's just my observation.

Anyways, as I've said, the sooner we can just get on to the next thing, the better. Osaka was the better tennis player that day ANYWAYS, that's what sucks the most about this.

I do think she's had some emotional postpartum issues, as evidenced from some of her other off-the-court talk/behavior since having her baby. I don't want to play armchair psychologist, though, that's just my observation.

Anyways, as I've said, the sooner we can just get on to the next thing, the better. Osaka was the better tennis player that day ANYWAYS, that's what sucks the most about this.

She has definitely had some post partum depression issues, has posted as such on social media.

But as you say, without any of the drama and penalties, Serena would have lost in straight sets. Osaka was far superior yesterday.

Sore loser. Osaka was better, period. It's sad she the drama queen had to ruin the GS win.

It wasn't because "I'm a woman", she got penalised for coaching - even the coach admitted it, smashing your racket *does get you a warning and yapping to the ref is just asking for trouble.

If you can find an example of THIS ref being lenient on similar behavior to a male player, then there's a legitimate argument to be made regarding bias.

Different refs have different thresholds for what they will or will not tolerate. The argument over consistency is valid - the argument over sexism is an assumption. It may be a true assumption, or it could be that this ref is just a Sensitive Sam and has a history of this with both male and female players.

If you can find an example of THIS ref being lenient on similar behavior to a male player, then there's a legitimate argument to be made regarding bias.

Different refs have different thresholds for what they will or will not tolerate. The argument over consistency is valid - the argument over sexism is an assumption. It may be a true assumption, or it could be that this ref is just a Sensitive Sam and has a history of this with both male and female players.

No, this umpire is apparently not lenient at all. He is a Sensitive Sam.
But the optics are not good, certainly not in a Grand Slam final, when men in the same tournament get away with some behaviour. And then a woman is penalized constantly by a man for the same behaviour the men displayed.

It does not excuse Serena's behaviour, but I can understand where it is coming from. That article mentioned by Mikal is a good one, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom