The all-things-tennis thread. - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
I have this weird sense that Murray finally gets a slam.
Well done Murray.
Good match.

I for one like McEnroe, especially in instances like when the chair umpire calls a time warning on Djokovic which Mary Carillo calls "gutsy" and McEnroe retorts that it was a "stupid" call. He tells it like it is, and knows the game very well.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson

I for one like McEnroe, especially in instances like when the chair umpire calls a time warning on Djokovic which Mary Carillo calls "gutsy" and McEnroe retorts that it was a "stupid" call. He tells it like it is, and knows the game very well.
No doubt about that, I didn't mean that. I meant his whining about the weather and the rescheduling. It was incessant, even that McAtee (is
that his name?) said let me talk at one point. He was so cranky that he sounded like a spoiled kid. He definitely knows tennis.

Great match. Maybe the cramps did him in.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #273
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
He needs some of that Serena mojo.
You mean steroids?
Old 09-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:23 AM
Nice work, Murray. About time he won a slam final.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #275
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
You mean steroids?
She's not on steroids, just produces more testerone than most and has a large adam's apple, and big hands and a big....

Old 09-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know anything about that, I assume there's plenty of testing in tennis. Especially in the Olympics, and she just participated in that. Just as in other sports though there must be things you can take that testing can't catch.

And it is possible for a woman to be that athletic and to have a body like that. I give her the benefit of the doubt until she tests otherwise. I'm sure people are starting to question, since she came back from her health issues and injuries.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:30 AM   #277
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Damn, I stopped watching after the third set because it was already 01.30 AM. I expected Djokovic to snatch it after that. Good on Murray.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #278
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I don't know anything about that, I assume there's plenty of testing in tennis. Especially in the Olympics, and she just participated in that. Just as in other sports though there must be things you can take that testing can't catch.

And it is possible for a woman to be that athletic and to have a body like that. I give her the benefit of the doubt until she tests otherwise. I'm sure people are starting to question, since she came back from her health issues and injuries.
Just don't fall out of your chair when this all breaks out one of these days.
My guess is - if/when Serena can manage to win 5 more slams and approach Steffi Graf. (Margaret Court has the most - 24 - but Steffi is the modern benchmark and widely considered the best ever). She needs 7 more to tie her. For the record, Steffi won her 22nd and last grand slam at age 29. Serena is 31 and still dominating. That's suspicious enough. The ageless wonder and absolute physical specimen Navratilova won one slam past the age of 30. And while Serena is likely subject to better physical training than the older players, she is also facing younger, faster and stronger players. So it is relative.

It wasn't until Bonds became a serious challenger to Aaron that they turned their focus on him. This - considering when I was about 19, 20, we were talking about him being on steroids back then...in 1994/1995. And we (my peers) were talking about McGwire being on steroids when I was in junior high and high school. Especially him and Canseco back in '88 and '89. a full ten years before the big home run chase with Sosa.

Of course there was no testing for it in baseball at that time. But there was in cycling with Armstrong. And there was in the Olympics with Marion Jones. And from what I hear, tennis' drug testing isn't all that stringent.

All that said, she's basically always had a body like that. That's not the issue for me. It's how she has rebounded, at her age, from all of those injuries.

The one thing steroids and most PED's do is allow you to work out longer and thus overcome injury but especially as you get older. How many female tennis players PLAY until 31, much less dominate the way she has. All the greats of the game were more or less done by 30.

It's why Ken Griffey Jr's body broke down when all of his peers were breaking records. He wasn't on the juice like them. Serena's body was breaking down a but...and then now she's steamrolling people like she was 22 years old. Serena, if she's doping, might be more analogous to A-Rod. He was a Hall-of-Famer before he ever touched the stuff. He only went to it to recover from an injury. Roger Clemens, most likely, is the exact same scenario.

This blog claims she wasn't even tested in 2010 and 2011.
Tennis Has a Steroid Problem: Panic on the Grass Court
Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #279
Blue Crack Addict

Some not being Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
It's why Ken Griffey Jr's body broke down when all of his peers were breaking records. He wasn't on the juice like them.
Some would say Griffey's joint injuries are consistent with steroid use as was his bell curve of home run power...16 22 22 27 45 40 17(72 games)49 56 56 48 40 22 8 13 20 35 27 30 18 15 3 19 0
Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #280
Blue Crack Addict

I know something about steroids, just not if she's on them. Would guess it's likely. I don't get why tennis doesn't have strict testing. I know she does look like she could snap Andy Murray like a twig
Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #281
Blue Crack Addict

*bump*

It's back.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

Where has this Millman been? Would so much rather seeing him on Rod Laver at the AO instead of Tomic the Tank Engine.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #283
45:33

Local Time: 12:53 AM
Serena wins Brisbane: “This is getting so routine I thanked my dad and he’s not even here…"
Old 01-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #284
Blue Crack Addict

Murray v. Dimitrov tomorrow seems promising.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 PM   #285
Blue Crack Addict

#52 in the world Tomic the Tank Engine favourite to win Sydney apparently.

Bookmakers must have no fucking idea about tennis.