The all-things-tennis thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have this weird sense that Murray finally gets a slam.

Well done Murray.
Good match.

I for one like McEnroe, especially in instances like when the chair umpire calls a time warning on Djokovic which Mary Carillo calls "gutsy" and McEnroe retorts that it was a "stupid" call. He tells it like it is, and knows the game very well.

Hewson said:
I for one like McEnroe, especially in instances like when the chair umpire calls a time warning on Djokovic which Mary Carillo calls "gutsy" and McEnroe retorts that it was a "stupid" call. He tells it like it is, and knows the game very well.

No doubt about that, I didn't mean that. I meant his whining about the weather and the rescheduling. It was incessant, even that McAtee (is
that his name?) said let me talk at one point. He was so cranky that he sounded like a spoiled kid. He definitely knows tennis.

Great match. Maybe the cramps did him in.

I don't know anything about that, I assume there's plenty of testing in tennis. Especially in the Olympics, and she just participated in that. Just as in other sports though there must be things you can take that testing can't catch.

And it is possible for a woman to be that athletic and to have a body like that. I give her the benefit of the doubt until she tests otherwise. I'm sure people are starting to question, since she came back from her health issues and injuries.

Damn, I stopped watching after the third set because it was already 01.30 AM. I expected Djokovic to snatch it after that. Good on Murray.

I don't know anything about that, I assume there's plenty of testing in tennis. Especially in the Olympics, and she just participated in that. Just as in other sports though there must be things you can take that testing can't catch.

And it is possible for a woman to be that athletic and to have a body like that. I give her the benefit of the doubt until she tests otherwise. I'm sure people are starting to question, since she came back from her health issues and injuries.

Just don't fall out of your chair when this all breaks out one of these days.
My guess is - if/when Serena can manage to win 5 more slams and approach Steffi Graf. (Margaret Court has the most - 24 - but Steffi is the modern benchmark and widely considered the best ever). She needs 7 more to tie her. For the record, Steffi won her 22nd and last grand slam at age 29. Serena is 31 and still dominating. That's suspicious enough. The ageless wonder and absolute physical specimen Navratilova won one slam past the age of 30. And while Serena is likely subject to better physical training than the older players, she is also facing younger, faster and stronger players. So it is relative.

It wasn't until Bonds became a serious challenger to Aaron that they turned their focus on him. This - considering when I was about 19, 20, we were talking about him being on steroids back then...in 1994/1995. And we (my peers) were talking about McGwire being on steroids when I was in junior high and high school. Especially him and Canseco back in '88 and '89. a full ten years before the big home run chase with Sosa.

Of course there was no testing for it in baseball at that time. But there was in cycling with Armstrong. And there was in the Olympics with Marion Jones. And from what I hear, tennis' drug testing isn't all that stringent.

All that said, she's basically always had a body like that. That's not the issue for me. It's how she has rebounded, at her age, from all of those injuries.

The one thing steroids and most PED's do is allow you to work out longer and thus overcome injury but especially as you get older. How many female tennis players PLAY until 31, much less dominate the way she has. All the greats of the game were more or less done by 30.

It's why Ken Griffey Jr's body broke down when all of his peers were breaking records. He wasn't on the juice like them. Serena's body was breaking down a but...and then now she's steamrolling people like she was 22 years old. Serena, if she's doping, might be more analogous to A-Rod. He was a Hall-of-Famer before he ever touched the stuff. He only went to it to recover from an injury. Roger Clemens, most likely, is the exact same scenario.

This blog claims she wasn't even tested in 2010 and 2011.
Tennis Has a Steroid Problem: Panic on the Grass Court

Some not being Tourist

It's why Ken Griffey Jr's body broke down when all of his peers were breaking records. He wasn't on the juice like them.

Some would say Griffey's joint injuries are consistent with steroid use as was his bell curve of home run power...16 22 22 27 45 40 17(72 games)49 56 56 48 40 22 8 13 20 35 27 30 18 15 3 19 0

I know something about steroids, just not if she's on them. Would guess it's likely. I don't get why tennis doesn't have strict testing. I know she does look like she could snap Andy Murray like a twig :D

Where has this Millman been? Would so much rather seeing him on Rod Laver at the AO instead of Tomic the Tank Engine.

#52 in the world Tomic the Tank Engine favourite to win Sydney apparently.

Bookmakers must have no fucking idea about tennis.

I know you're being sarcastic but it would be funny if he loses to Matosevic.

They'll have to put Matosevic on RLA.

The Sydney International used to be quite the lead up tournament in terms of highly-ranked players. It's just rubbish now. Tomic and Anderson in the final.

Looking forward to a couple of days at the Open next week :)

Kooyong has really taken a hit in quality too.

But I've never understood the appeal of Kooyong, it looks like its windy all the time, small crowds and a bland atmosphere.

The WTC in Adelaide is miles better.

Tomic wins Sydney, now he will be a lock for top 10 and a grand slam this year.

Kooyong is an exhibition, Cobbler. No more relevant than Tomic beating Djokovic, which is still hardly relevant.

In a slam setting, Berdych would murder Hewitt and Djokovic would comfortably account for Tomic.

Anyways, it's a pretty shitty result for the sport when a spoiled brat with a painfully ugly game wins an ATP tournament.

Looks like Tomic is scheduled for tomorrow night....please tell me he's going to be rested under the rotation policy or there is a game of Cricket on?

Back
Top Bottom