The AFL Thread Watching the Bombers Fly Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah it's been a pretty paltry finals series so far, the West Coast-Port game and the first three quarters of Richmond-Geelong aside.

I could not fucking believe we got up. All credit goes to Chris Scott, who put in one of the most masterful displays of coaching I've seen. We fucked Sydney up.

I think we'll get beaten next week, but I'm pretty happy just knocking out the Swans in such emphatic fashion. Very satisfying.

Still think it's an Adelaide-Richmond grand final.

I would urge everyone to watch Williamstown vs Port Melbourne today. 230pm start.

That's awesome! Wish I could've watched it up here in NSW. Did you go to the game?

Not in the end, had a few things to do at home. Should have.

Just wish they'd move the grand final away from fucking Etihad. Cannot fucking understand the thinking of having the VFL grand final at a cavernous, more-than-half empty, soulless Etihad, with the roof shut and shadows everywhere, when you could have it at Princes Park or North Port Oval. Infuriating.

I know it's a popular Melbourne activity to shit on Etihad but I don't mind it. Not the place to have the VFL grand final though, I agree. The crowds that they get to Etihad are probably much too big for North Port Oval though, yeah? Princes Park would make sense.

Only time they've had over 20k there since it moved to Etihad was 2014 when Footscray won. Next best is about 17k. North Port too small, capacity seems to be about 12k according to the internets. Although it's the home of finals for the whole finals series. Princes Park is perfect.

I don't have a super strong opposition to Etihad, but when it comes to the VFL, it's a really bad place to have the grand final. It's the only time of the year it's played there, too.

Huh, I thought the final was usually in the 20,000s.

Princes Park definitely needs more use. Playing the opening AFLW game there this year was a step in the right direction. Now to get low-drawing AFL games there, and the VFL grand final.

Also, I love that the VFL can draw larger crowds to its finals than the NRL. :lol:

Fuck, the NRL is such a pathetic joke. So funny watching them try to defend their sport. I say this as not a huge hater: I've seen heaps of NRL games that have been awesome but they can't get a single cunt to games. Hilarious.

I am a hater. League is an awful excuse for rugby; union is the true faith.

But there is something indefinable about the AFL territory. Attendance at footy, especially in Melbourne but also in the other footy states, is just insane at a global level. And there's something about Melbourne's culture of attending live sport that is unmatched anywhere else; the record State of Origin crowd was in Melbs. :lol:

I love that attendance between 15-20k is quite good by NRL standards and causes soul-searching when it happens in the AFL.

I mean, fuck, the AFL got 88k to a regular season game, the Anzac Day clash (and that's low compared to some recent years with over 90k!), while from a quick scan it looks like only about three NRL games managed even half that - and one of those was a double-header. Not one cracked 50k. Meanwhile in Melbourne we make fun of Hawthorn because their big rivalries "only" attract around 60k rather than the really massive 70-90k rivalries involving Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, and Richmond.

I don't there's much coming back for us if we lose Friday night. Would be completely and utterly devastating.

And there we have it, the Vladdest Vlad post to ever Vlad your Vlad.

I'm not sure how you could argue against it considering the events of the past few years and the fact we haven't made a grand final since 1998. This is the best chance - sew up a qualifying final with two rounds to go, win a qualifying final convincingly, fortnight break, big prelim final at home with a winnable opponent in the Grand Final ...

I... don't get what you're arguing. Making the prelim is a big deal for any team, a huge tick of success. Sure, a few have blown it - Port a good example, and the Doggies have one hell of a premiership hangover - but usually it indicates your team is good and competitive and will continue to be up there next year. And it would hardly be a disgrace to lose to the team who came third, just one draw shy of your spot on the ladder. Come back to me when you're St Kilda or the pre-2016 Western Bulldogs.

I think Vlad needs to relax and enjoy his team being in the finals!

If you want real hell, try kabigon's examples. Or being an All Blacks fan every World Cup. I don't think Adelaide, or any AFL team, has the hype that it absolutely must be the favourite to win the tournament every time it's held, regardless of form. Unless we win it's a failure. Even when we won in 2011 there were still question marks because it wasn't convincing enough. You have no idea how immensely satisfying 2015 was.

But now I'm already nervous about 2019.

Meanwhile I'm very proud the Black Caps simply made the Cricket World Cup final for the first time ever in 2015 despite our poor showing in the final (note my avatar, two years after the fact) - or, closer to home, pleased that Essendon simply made it to week one of the finals, despite the horrible result! :lol:

The problem with Princes Park is that it has that horrible eyesore where the Heatley Stand used to be. Should never have knocked it down, or at least keep the internal facing side of the stand as a grand stand of sorts.

I've imagined Vic Park to be the most appropriate ground for the VFL Grand Final. It still has many of it's grandstands in tact and a deep enough terrace on one side of the ground. And is just as central as North Port Oval.

League is pretty much a television sport these days. That said, the AFL should be distraught at the crowd for the GW's vs West Coast match.

The Matildas match up the road attracted a bigger crowd, and a sell out, and a marvellous win [emoji3]

The problem with Princes Park is that it has that horrible eyesore where the Heatley Stand used to be. Should never have knocked it down, or at least keep the internal facing side of the stand as a grand stand of sorts.

I've imagined Vic Park to be the most appropriate ground for the VFL Grand Final. It still has many of it's grandstands in tact and a deep enough terrace on one side of the ground. And is just as central as North Port Oval.

League is pretty much a television sport these days. That said, the AFL should be distraught at the crowd for the GW's vs West Coast match.

The Matildas match up the road attracted a bigger crowd, and a sell out, and a marvellous win [emoji3]

Honestly the GWS crowd thing is exaggerated. The place was packed last year when the Dogs were on the march. This year it went right up against the Matildas and an NRL final, and rather than featuring a Victorian opponent it was against a team from as far away as possible whose run was obviously at an end. I doubt there's much of an Eagles fan community in Sydney, and popping across the continent for an almost-certain flogging is a far bigger proposition than driving up the Hume.

Of course it should've got at least 20,000, but given the circumstances I think some of the rhetoric is a bit of a joke.

In case you needed any more reason to hate the Carlton Football Club, here's their absolutely pissweak statement on same-sex marriage:

THE Carlton Football Club prides itself on being inclusive, and a leader in engendering equality and a deep sense of belonging.

The issue of 'same sex marriage' is essentially one of equality; and so the Club encourages all of its people to have their say in this important national vote.

As a Club, we respect that this is about personal choice, and as such don't intend to campaign on the issue, but we do strongly reinforce our Club's absolute commitment to equality - and a community that is free from any form of discrimination.

Wait, wait, their idea of equality is "all of its people have their say" rather than, you know, actual legal equality?

Fuck them and their fucking hovercraft.

Fascinating watching each club "come out" (or not, in Carlton's case) as gay-friendly.
I reckon the remaining Vic clubs will all come out as "YES" after Carlton's move today.

This after Carlton was associated with 'yes' optus for so long.

Back
Top Bottom