The AFL Thread Watching the Bombers Fly Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Axver

Vocal parasite
You called it yourself Cobbler, it's code red and black.

But judging by recent events at Essendon Airport, the Bombers may not be flying up for much longer.

I imagined Essendon to be an outside chance for the 8 before the season.
Make no mistake, the squad is strong and balanced. The question was whether they were able to sync given the disruption of having so many key players out of action for so long.

They're getting results. I reckon Parish is a star in the making. Thought he was robbed of the Norwich last year.

Richmond unbeaten but we've played two very poor teams. I expect us to go down quite easily on Saturday, although Nankervis, Butler and Prestia are very useful acquisitions. Martin just keeps getting better.

I fucking hate that Martin is a really good player, because he's such a disgusting person.

Not sure we can take too much out of Essendon's wins yet. Hawthorn are clearly on their way down, and Brisbane are Brisbane. This weekend I bloody hope we don't trip up against Carlton. Assuming we end up 3-0, the really telling game will be week four when we make the trek to Adelaide Oval. If the loss is in any way close - and mark my words it will be a loss - then the Bombers may be a properly competitive team. If we win, well, it'll be our premiership to lose according to some pundits.

All my hatred aside, it's nice to see the Bombers doing somewhat okay, it's a nice story, objectively speaking.

I went to the North game last week, was a hell of a game, way closer than I would have liked but I was always confident we'd win even when five goals down.

Martin is a bona fide cunt, but I reckon about 80% of the men playing AFL are cunts to be honest, we just don't hear about it cos they're not stupid enough to get blind drunk in public and threaten to stab women with chopsticks.

What really shits me is how many people I know who have "moderated" their opinion towards Martin because he's turned into such a fucking gun player. Fuck that. He's a thug with absolutely no moral compass.

And oh man I wish that Cats/Roos game had been on telly. Looks like it was a thriller. North gonna North.

Prediction: the same thing happens to Essendon as did in 2012 and 2013: win fuck all games in the final third of the year and miss the eight.

Mate we "made" the eight in 2013.

Honestly I expect a more consistent pattern of losses throughout the season than sitting pretty in the top eight for two-thirds of the season before collapsing in a heap.

Showdown win. :up: I can't believe Freo actually beat the Dogs! Lyon made like 6 omissions from last week and it paid dividends.

Cannot believe the game out west. Didn't expect Freo to even get within 40 points but for most of the game they looked more fluent than the Doggies and deserved the victory.

Not a pretty game today in the wet between Essendon and Carlton but it's gripping viewing. Marc Murphy just got an insane goal.

I reckon Carlton are going to win. The heavier the rain got, the better they were at maintaining field position and keeping the ball in their forward half. And that's crucial in a game like this where goals are so scarce. Essendon were on top when it was only drizzling lightly earlier. We need the dry ball - see that goal scored with a clean one right after Carlton's first for the quarter.

Especially not going to come back if we blow chances like Zaka just did.

Two big opportunities just missed. No idea how we can score enough now with just six minutes to go and two goals required.

Yep, that's it. I see some Essendon fans complaining loudly and long about the umpiring, and there were some pretty odd out of bounds calls, but even if you take that out of the equation Carlton were much better in the second half when the skies really opened. Essendon might've been in with a chance if we'd been able to lock the ball in our forward hall more during that final quarter - we just needed more opportunities at goal, and to have not squandered the rare few we got. But in the end Carlton deserved that victory; they adapted better to the conditions and, despite their hilarious inaccuracy in front of goal, held on well.

Knew I shouldn't have dreamt of being 3-0.

PS What the fuck is happening to Hawthorn right now?!

Carlton wanted it a hell of a lot. Trav would be rightfully pleased despite inaccuracy.

Sydney and Hawthorn to be 0-3. :crack: Hawthorn down by 10 goals against the Gold Coast. :crack:

When did Gold Coast suddenly figure out how to win games.

86 points. :faint:

EDIT: GC had 498 disposals, +155 over Hawthorn. Staggering.

Last edited:
I was at a Chairlift gig so I couldn't watch our sloppy mess of a match. When the point ceiling is set at about 60 or so on account of awful field conditions, our chances are much better.

An attempt was indeed made.

It reminds me of the 2002 FIFA World Cup game I had on PC when I was a kid.

The Eagles will win the premiership by 10 goals if they move the footy as well as they have at certain points tonight.

Side note: this the first time since 1993 that Sydney have had a 0-4 start.

Back
Top Bottom