The AFL Thread Reporting Dangerfield Has Signed a 9-yr $10.1m Deal With Port Adelaide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And holy shit, Doggies captain Ryan Griffen wants to be traded to GWS!

Is it fair to say this is going to be the biggest trade period in recent AFL history? Griffen to GWS is absolutely ridiculous especially when Cooney's supposedly a trade target too for others, it's a massive acquisition for GWS because Griffen is a genuine A grader.

Essendon should just trade out every player facing a show cause notice. Problem solved!

Trade them all to Collingwood/Carlton and laugh when neither can field a team next year.

Hell yes, especially if we can bundle Hird into the trade too. Here ya go Carlton buddy old pal, a special gift from your friends at Windy Hill.

And then Bomber can just spin around in circles in front of AFL HQ for some reason.

Jeff Garlett and #83 to Melbourne, #61 + #79 to Carlton. I know Garlett's been having problems and all, but that's a bloody bargain for his talent.

Also, is it just me, or are there heaps of players this year trying to break their contracts for a trade? I'm uncomfortable with it. Sure if circumstances change significantly then you need to break a contract and move on, but right now it's starting to look like contracts are barely worth the paper they're printed on.

You get the feeling that trade week's really just begun, don't you? /Bruce

You get the feeling that trade week's really just begun, don't you? /Bruce

Gee the next trade's just going to be crucial in the context of this week...

I really can't think of a sport (at least at a domestic level) where a contract means anything more than what a player earns?

Not sure what you mean? I just find it remarkable all these players who have a year or two left to run who think they can just put their hand up and walk. You signed on to do three or five years or whatever, you knew that when you put pen to paper, so unless something drastic changed in that time then you don't really have grounds to expect the club to let you go. The only players who can possibly say shit changed drastically since they signed are Essendon ones who signed before the scandal began (e.g. yes Ryder, no Winderlich).

I mean that contracts really don't mean absolutely nothing in sports these says. If a player signs on for three years and after a year he wants to move, then he will move. Look at Buddy's nine year deal, he ain't even gonna be playing in 9 years!

As an international example. Luis Suarez signed a multi million dollar five year deal early last season, now after completing not even one year of the deal he's off to Barcelona.

Brendon McCartney sacked.

Thank god for cricket season. The AFL has left me with a real sour taste in my mouth these past couple of weeks.

Hooooly shit what?!

Kneejerk reaction to the captain wanting out, or is this just a very public explosion of tensions that ran deep but had been kept quiet? I mean, the Dogs looked like they were on a slow but steady upward trajectory with a fair bit of young talent coming through.

McCartney sacked? And to think that a month ago it didn't seem like any coach would be.

I think it's probably the harshest sacking of them all, McKenna's makes a bit of sense once you understood how aimless GC were if you took out Gaz and that they were in the top 4 halfway through the season or so. But McCartney? Dogs are still rebuilding, and surely not many would've expected them to realistically even challenge for a finals spot and especially with such a forward line?

It can't be all because of Griffen though, can it?

A tweet on the Age's live trade coverage says Cooney is having a medical at North, that he wants out, and that the Dogs want him out.

So you've got the captain, the coach, and a Brownlow medallist all on their way out. It's as if the Doggies took one look at my club's slow implosion and said "FASTER AND QUICKER!"

(And Vlad, I still reckon McKenna's sacking was the worst, and totally unjustifiable.)

I'm confused as to what the deal with Cooney is? He's obviously not at 08 level (degenerative knee condition I think) but he's still damaging all the same, he'd still be worth a 2nd round pick easily. Are North trying to top up for a big flag tilt in the next 2 years before their stars all retire?

With McCartney, you just have to see the reaction from Dogs fans, so many of them are livid.

Fucking gutless from the Bulldogs. Coach was caring too much? Working too hard? He asked something of the playing group and now he's sacked? Yeah, enjoy perennial pathetic performance Footscray. :down::down::down:

Wait wait, at the Bulldogs presser did they really say that McCartney cared too much and was too demanding?

WHAAAAAT.

This is just mindboggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom