The AFL Thread Proudly Sponsoring Patrick Dangerfield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I too am annoyed whenever we do get a good ride at home, for what it's worth. I'd just like better consistency and perhaps less 'blurry' rules.

There's something to be said for having neutral umpires as in international sport, but I don't know how that would be workable. I couldn't tell you the origin or favoured team of any umpire.

In any case, unconscious biases cancel out in the end, as Cobbler says - there are enough on-field, boundary, and goal umpires that to suggest the entire umpiring squad is in cahoots is ludicrous. If there ever were a conspiracy to favour a side, it would get exposed pretty damn quickly. In any case, cheating and throwing results in sport in general seems to be perpetrated predominantly by players (think of how many cricket cheats you can name who are players versus umpires).

PS On this topic, the controversial deliberate rushed behind in the Sydney vs Doggies game? If you're going to be strict on deliberates, that one is a free any day of the week. The outrage over that is a joke.

I don't think there should even be neutral umpires in cricket. It's dumb. And would be even dumber in footy. I honestly don't think it's an issue.

Essendon, goddamn.

Wow, never ever expected to be 2-0 to start the season - though that surprise is more still from last week than this week. Brisbane came back unbelievably well, and ought not to be as shit this season as they were last week. But god I'm so happy about that win, and we've some great young talent. That McGrath boy, he's good. And for Brissie, how good does Hipwood look!

And why on earth shouldn't there be neutral umpires in cricket? I'd be outraged if we ended the neutral referee policy in rugby (and frankly I sometimes have my doubts about Aussies refereeing New Zealand games :lol:).

A nicely done article - although I've become more interested in baffling interpretations of rules in recent times, perhaps everything is made to be unnecessarily complicated.

Back
Top Bottom