The AFL Thread Proudly Sponsoring Patrick Dangerfield - Page 36 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Put 'Em Under Pressure

Old 08-13-2016, 10:35 AM   #526
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:21 PM
There's almost nothing likeable about them. Awful players, awful uniform, awful nickname, awful song, awful toffs. I preferred it when they were comically shit. They're in my bottom four with Carlton, Collingwood, and Sydney.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:26 PM   #527
Blue Crack Addict

I can't hate Melbourne. But I don't get everyone's love for Richmond so...

Old 08-14-2016, 01:10 AM   #528
Vocal parasite

Oh here we go, another game where there's a brief glimmer of hope Essendon may stammer over the line in front but you know we're going to lose.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:37 AM   #529
45:33

Fuck Essendon.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:41 AM   #530
Vocal parasite

HOLY SHlT WE WON THE THING!

After that failure against Brisbane last month I thought the rest of the season was a total write-off. I really wasn't expecting to hear the team song again this year. But here we are!
Old 08-14-2016, 01:52 AM   #531
A childless dog

Local Time: 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Fuck Essendon.
Yes.

Man do I want North to miss the eight. That would be some funny shit. But I just don't see it. I absolutely could imagine them dropping their last two. It's very likely they end the season with 48 points and, considering how their season started, that's awful.

But the Dees, great as their last win was, don't strike me as the kind of team that will beat Geelong with the season on the line. It could happen, but I'm not sold. Geelong will be playing for the difference between 3rd and 7th. That's big.

St Kilda, meanwhile, has to put in work to make up that 17% gap. In fact, it's virtually impossible. If North lost their last two games by 50 points each (certainly possible), St Kilda would have to win their last two games by 100 points each to close the gap. It's not happening.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:03 AM   #532

Saints are no chance, yes. Melbourne, though. I wouldn't write off. Very, very unlikely but we've dropped some odd games this year. If they play their best they could easily catch us off-guard.

I can't remember a final round that will be so exciting in a long time. As of right now every single spot in the top eight is up for grabs. That's hella cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
There's almost nothing likeable about them. Awful players, awful uniform, awful nickname, awful song, awful toffs. I preferred it when they were comically shit. They're in my bottom four with Carlton, Collingwood, and Sydney.
They've got a lot of very exciting players, more than most in fact I'd say. Mostly though this shows that you are not Australian. We love an underdog. Therefore we love Melbourne.

But then again St Kilda is one of my least favourite teams.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:04 AM   #533

like, fuck. Richmond are going to beat us today at this rate. We have to finish top four otherwise we might as well go home.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:13 AM   #534
Vocal parasite

Quote:
They've got a lot of very exciting players, more than most in fact I'd say. Mostly though this shows that you are not Australian. We love an underdog. Therefore we love Melbourne.

But then again St Kilda is one of my least favourite teams.
Now this is just wrong! You should know by now how much of a sucker I am for an underdog. Hawthorn are nominally one of my top four teams but I keep finding myself barracking for almost anybody else when they get a sniff. Hell, I didn't even really like the Doggies much for years until their underdog status sucked me in. But Melbourne have done the reverse. The more I see of them the more I want to see them fail.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:46 AM   #535
A childless dog

From my understanding, the Richmond love stems partially from the economic background of the area. The Tigers (and the Bulldogs, though I'm not sure if it's accurate or not to equate the economy of Richmond and Footscray in 2016) have a blue collar fanbase and that breeds underdog stories.

The Dees? I dunno. Whatever. I have no feelings towards them whatsoever.

Now.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:44 AM   #536
Vocal parasite

This is one hell of a comeback.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:45 AM   #537
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:51 PM
Only Richmond could let this happen. Fucking disgraceful.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:12 AM   #538

Hahahahaha. So Richmond.

Got plenty of Tigers mates whinging about the umps costing them. We had the rub of the green and they were awful in the last five minutes - Lloyd taken high and Riewoldt held in their inside 50 in the space of five seconds and then Harry Taylor gets a free and goals down the other end - but you are not robbed when you lead by 35 fucking points at 3/4 time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
From my understanding, the Richmond love stems partially from the economic background of the area. The Tigers (and the Bulldogs, though I'm not sure if it's accurate or not to equate the economy of Richmond and Footscray in 2016) have a blue collar fanbase and that breeds underdog stories.

The Dees? I dunno. Whatever. I have no feelings towards them whatsoever.
Bit of an odd statement. Richmond is a reasonably affluent suburb. Footscray is certainly more blue collar. But neither of these things matter really; socioeconomics has no influence whatsoever in the AFL. The Richmond love stems from the fact they've been perennial underachievers having played in like five finals since their last flag in 1980 and that their supporters are very passionate, owing to the many, many false dawns. They also have the best song in the league. Similar to the Bulldogs. It has absolutely zip to do with the economics of the suburbs themselves. Maybe decades ago but the sport is homogenous today.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:23 AM   #539
A childless dog

Quote:
Bit of an odd statement. Richmond is a reasonably affluent suburb. Footscray is certainly more blue collar. But neither of these things matter really; socioeconomics has no influence whatsoever in the AFL. The Richmond love stems from the fact they've been perennial underachievers having played in like five finals since their last flag in 1980 and that their supporters are very passionate, owing to the many, many false dawns. They also have the best song in the league. Similar to the Bulldogs. It has absolutely zip to do with the economics of the suburbs themselves. Maybe decades ago but the sport is homogenous today.
Just going by things I've read over the years since I started following the sport, some of which are probably outdated at this point. There's been a lot of gentrification in the period since these clubs were founded so their "traditional" fanbase has undeniably been homogenized.

Socioeconomics are a big part of what makes a team likable/hatable in the US at any rate; universally, your Oklahoma Cities, Clevelands or Pittsburghs will draw less ire than a New York or Los Angeles from a neutral observer. Besides the underdog factor, you naturally root for less affluent regions because they have so little else going on outside of sport.

Now.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:33 AM   #540

Yeah I get that, and reading older sources or about the history in general would certainly lead one to that conclusion. Just isn't the way it is anymore, I don't think.

That makes total sense for the US - that's partly why I was gunning for the Cavs over Golden State - but the AFL/Australia is just so small in comparison. I mean there's 10 Victorian clubs and nine of them are, via suburb, within a 15km radius. On top of that, none of them represent their suburbs anymore and they play at only two grounds, both of which are essentially smack bang in the heart of the city. It would be like Chicago having nine NBA teams, not just one. Geelong I think is the only remaining AFL club with a true monopoly on its area. That's very different in American sports... if I'm not wrong nearly all clubs represent their area, have a monopoly on their cities in one sport.

My point is in AFL likeability/hateability for clubs goes almost solely on success. People hate Hawthorn because they've been so good, not because of the suburb's socioeconomics.